HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Staal

Old
05-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Brisk-Illusion

vCash: 500
Meh, I wouldn't overpay for him.

I think Pittsburg is going to kick themselves for choosing him over Toews, Backstorm, or maybe even Kessel in a few years.

He's vastly over-rated as far as I'm concerned.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 05:56 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
Meh, I wouldn't overpay for him.

I think Pittsburg is going to kick themselves for choosing him over Toews, Backstorm, or maybe even Kessel in a few years.

He's vastly over-rated as far as I'm concerned.
He's a physical specimen. His combination of size, strength, toughness, and grit at that age is hard to come by.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
And the Rangers could have had Brown, Bernier, Parise, Getzlaf, Burns, Richards, Perry or Bergeron but passed on them to take Hugh Jessiman. We could have done a whole lot worse than Kostitsyn.
I confess I was hoping the Habs would draft Jessiman after they lost out on Phaneuf. Boy, was I wrong!

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 11:31 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I confess I was hoping the Habs would draft Jessiman after they lost out on Phaneuf. Boy, was I wrong!
Well a 6'6" blueliner is pretty tempting...but I'm glad we stayed away

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Patrick96

I say yes he's big and he can score.

Patrick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 03:58 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I don't see Pittsburgh being able to sign Malkin, Crosby, Hossa, Staal, Fleury, Gonchar, Whitney, Malone, etc...to long term deals. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody like Staal departs for a few prospects. More importantly how long is he going to want to keep playing on the freakin third line?

All in all amongst the young Penguins, Staal is the most likely to go somewhere else in my opinion.

I say when Crosby signs his next contract with the Pens, Staal leaves.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 05:42 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Let me get this straight, this guy nets 29G in his rookie year, playing behind Crosby and Malkin as the 3rd center.
He's 6'4 220lbs, only 19. He's already very versatile, being able to play on PP and be very effective on PK(lead the NHL for SHG in his rookie year).
He's had a somewhat ''disappointing'' season in terms of production but he is the center of the shutdown line and does a very good job.

This kid will be amazing, anybody saying ''Not interested'' about a kid with his potential and size, ESPECIALLY when what we've been wanting for years is a big center, doesn't know much about our needs..
Why would Pittsburgh deal him? Listing above...however he would not be my first choice. He's very young and scored 12 goals last season...I want a player to put up big numbers immediately

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 07:40 AM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
Yeah, they sure aren't kicking themselves for this pick right now.

I think Toews and Backstrom are better players, but that doesn't mean Staal was a bad pick.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 08:05 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Ok, ok...

Since NO one will propose THE deal, i will!

Ryder+Halak and a 2ND for Staal.

There...
+ Hossa

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 09:06 AM
KnucklesTheTard*

If we go by salary cap rules CAN they keep Staal? We will see at the begining of the season when the contracts are finalised. Personally if Staal continues to develop he will ask for some good money. Malkin and Crosby tied up with huge contracts and being 2 centers, staal will move. Unless he changes position, and they decide to spend to the cap...

I would trade Komisarek straight up for Staal.
My Reasoning is Staal is the centerman we want and we have plenty of defensive prospects.

KnucklesTheTard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Shabutie

In terms of development, at the same age Jordan is ahead of what Eric was.

Eric had his breakout season at the age of 21. I have a feeling that Jordan will follow.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklesTheTard View Post
If we go by salary cap rules CAN they keep Staal? We will see at the begining of the season when the contracts are finalised. Personally if Staal continues to develop he will ask for some good money. Malkin and Crosby tied up with huge contracts and being 2 centers, staal will move. Unless he changes position, and they decide to spend to the cap...

I would trade Komisarek straight up for Staal.
My Reasoning is Staal is the centerman we want and we have plenty of defensive prospects.
Komisarek straight up for Staal would be exactly the deal the pens would be looking for. Talk about a dynasty...

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 11:09 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Komisarek straight up for Staal would be exactly the deal the pens would be looking for. Talk about a dynasty...
Dynasties last longer than a couple years. When they have like $30 million in cap space tied up in like 4 players it will be very difficult to stay competitive and create a dynasty.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post
Dynasties last longer than a couple years. When they have like $30 million in cap space tied up in like 4 players it will be very difficult to stay competitive and create a dynasty.
Komisarek's contract will probably be less than Staal's; but with two centres like Malkin and Crosby, the contribution he would make as a great defensive defenceman blocking shots and throwing big hits, would arguably be greater to the team than anything Staal could provide for them in a third centre role....

It would be a great deal for Pittsburgh and would set them up as a powerhouse for a long time.

Komisarek is an untouchable for me for those reasons, what he gives you vs what his cap hit will be, and his ability to play 25 minutes per game and potentially more in the playoffs... I just can't move him even if it is straight up for a young, big, offensive centre. You need to find that centre somehow.... but Komi is a guy you win with.... and giving him up is not an option in my mind.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Habbadasher

I think it depends on what our team looks like when the Pens decide to trade Staal (if they do). If O'byrne reaches his potential, and a big scoring centre is the missing piece . . . do it.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Why would Pittsburgh trade him now? He might end up their sacrifical lamb when cap issues come up and be traded for an experienced player like Sundin was, but this is nowhere near happening... I guess looking at the team needs, we could offer up something along the lines of Koivu and O'Byrne for Staal but he's still under contract for the 08-09 season, and will command much less if he is again confined to a third line role. I wouldn't even think about it if I was Pittsburgh!

However, Georges Laraques is UFA this summer and openly changed his mind about Montreal a few years ago, that could be interesting and possible.

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 11:44 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
The salary cap is increasing. I doubt that they will sign Hossa. Gonchar would go next with a Streit replacing him on the powerplay. If Malone sqeals sign a M Ryder for 2 million to be Syd's gunner. There will be no dynasty until they beat Detroit.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Why would Pittsburgh deal him? Listing above...however he would not be my first choice. He's very young and scored 12 goals last season...I want a player to put up big numbers immediately
Pittsburgh only has Gonchar, Crosby, Whitney, Letang that are signed until at least 09-10. They have Hossa, Fleury, Malone and Roberts to sign or let go this off season. After that, they have Malkin, Staal.
If Staal bounces back with a great season as im sure he'll do, i don't think a team should be paying their 3rd line center over 4M.

I don't know what Shero will do, but I don't think a team can keep all those big names.
Out of all of them, i actually see Malkin moved.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 12:42 PM
jordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
Question: How many goals will Andrei have to score before people stop bringing up Getzlaf? Ill go with 45.
I agree man. I mean i used to be a little disappointed the habs passed on guys such as Getzlaf, Carter, Richards etc to take kostitsyn but that was before when i thought kostitsyn was going to be a bust. Kostitsyn this year has shown hes capable of being a 30 goal guy and he will just get better from season to season. Also Andrei wasn't doing a whole lot at the beginning of the season but caught fire especially after xmas scoring some HIGHLIGHT reel goals. So why dont we just forget about missing out on guys like getzlaf, richard n carter and just enjoy watching OUR draft pick that year AK-46

jordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordy View Post
I agree man. I mean i used to be a little disappointed the habs passed on guys such as Getzlaf, Carter, Richards etc to take kostitsyn but that was before when i thought kostitsyn was going to be a bust. Kostitsyn this year has shown hes capable of being a 30 goal guy and he will just get better from season to season. Also Andrei wasn't doing a whole lot at the beginning of the season but caught fire especially after xmas scoring some HIGHLIGHT reel goals. So why dont we just forget about missing out on guys like getzlaf, richard n carter and just enjoy watching OUR draft pick that year AK-46
Seriously, and people seem to forget that his brother is also with us, making what could be the next Sedins. That in itself, is worth more than Getzlaf, Richards or Carter.

Old
05-25-2008, 01:01 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Pittsburgh only has Gonchar, Crosby, Whitney, Letang that are signed until at least 09-10. They have Hossa, Fleury, Malone and Roberts to sign or let go this off season. After that, they have Malkin, Staal.
If Staal bounces back with a great season as im sure he'll do, i don't think a team should be paying their 3rd line center over 4M.

I don't know what Shero will do, but I don't think a team can keep all those big names.
Out of all of them, i actually see Malkin moved.
Staal only been in the league for 2 years (06 draftee), he has to play another year before he can even break the entry level. Pitt is in no need to deal him this year

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 04:07 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Staal only been in the league for 2 years (06 draftee), he has to play another year before he can even break the entry level. Pitt is in no need to deal him this year
Who said anything about dealing him?..
I said Pittsburgh can't keep all their superstars unless they all take hometown discounts to stay with the club.

Staal's contract comes to an end next season, just like Malkin's, so i don't see what you're trying to say.
After Ovechkin's contract, I don't see why Malkin wouldn't ask for close to 10M. How much will Fleury sign for this year?..How much will Malone sign for?..etc etc..

Pittsburgh is in no need to trade anyone TODAY. But they won't be able to keep all their stars for long, whether they trade them or lose them to FA.

But like i said, I think their best move is to trade Malkin not Staal.

Old
05-25-2008, 04:11 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
For the Pens it is Stall or Hossa...
Salary Cap rules.
If they go over the cap they just get penalized with 1st round picks taken away, I'm not entirely sure how it works but thats the just of it, and If their shot for getting a decent prospect is gone well its kinda like who cares in their favor.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
If they go over the cap they just get penalized with 1st round picks taken away, I'm not entirely sure how it works but thats the just of it, and If their shot for getting a decent prospect is gone well its kinda like who cares in their favor.
I dont think its that simple.

Old
05-25-2008, 04:48 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Who said anything about dealing him?..
I said Pittsburgh can't keep all their superstars unless they all take hometown discounts to stay with the club.

Staal's contract comes to an end next season, just like Malkin's, so i don't see what you're trying to say.
After Ovechkin's contract, I don't see why Malkin wouldn't ask for close to 10M. How much will Fleury sign for this year?..How much will Malone sign for?..etc etc..

Pittsburgh is in no need to trade anyone TODAY. But they won't be able to keep all their stars for long, whether they trade them or lose them to FA.

But like i said, I think their best move is to trade Malkin not Staal.
During the 07 WC, you could see the difference in the games of the 2 Staal's. Jordan pays attn. to detail, is a coach's player, does all the little trhing you want done, never gets you in trouble.

Eric can be frustarting for periods of time but is very explosive, and can put up numbers in a hurry after a slow start or a down period.

Now, I factor in that I was watching an 18 year old, but I didn't see the offensive upside that his brother has. I may prefer him, there are times that a 70 point guy is more valuable than a 90 point guy, but I don't think the verdict is in yet as to what kind of offensive player he'll become.

If he's a beast, but a 65-75 poiunt guy, he may never be at a salary range that would preclude Pitt. from keeping him.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote