HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Signing Deadline May Still Apply for Euros

Old
05-25-2008, 01:55 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
Signing Deadline May Still Apply for Euros

Although the NHL has been taking the position that the absence of an IIHF transfer agreement will allow teams to request and receive defected free agent status for European (excluding Russia) draft picks whose rights would otherwise expire, that may not be the case. I took a closer look at the CBA, and the only item the league is relying on to support that position is the letter agreement shown below. It does not appear to allow the league resume using defected free agent status once the transfer agreement was signed in 2005. If the NHLPA files a grievance, and I fully expect they will, I expect them to prevail with the signing deadline upheld. GM's who are relying on the NHL's opinion and not making every effort to sign affected prospects by June 1st are taking a major risk of losing them.

CBA Letter AgreementTed Saskin
Executive Director and General Counsel
National Hockey League Players' Association
777 Bay Street, Suite 2400
Toronto, Canada M5G 2C8

Re:IIHF Player Transfer Agreement

Dear Ted:

This Letter Agreement is a supplement to the Collective Bargaining
Agreement ("CBA"), dated as of July 22, 2005, is incorporated therein and sets forth our
agreement relating to the NHL's efforts to secure a new Player Transfer Agreement with
the International Ice Hockey Federation ("IHF").

1. The parties agree that the NHL's agreement to eliminate "defected
status" for European draftees is necessarily and expressly contingent on its ability to
negotiate a satisfactory IHF Player Transfer Agreement, which is substantially consistent
with the terms of past Agreements. In the event the NHL is unable to negotiate a
satisfactory successor IHF Agreement or make other comparable arrangements to allow
NHL Clubs the opportunity to sign European players, the changes to "defected status"
contemplated in Articles 8 and 10 of the CBA will automatically be tolled, and the parties
will consult regarding whether corresponding and resulting changes to the CBA should
be made.

2. The CBA provisions pertaining to "defected status" will be maintained
"as is" in the CBA, but the understanding of the parties is that such provisions will have
no further force or effect in the new CBA upon the completion of a new IIHF Player
Transfer Agreement. Only in the event that no such replacement Player Transfer
Agreement is successfuly completed, shall such provisions have potential application on
a basis to be negotiated by the parties.

3. The parties further agree to confer again no later than August 30, 2005,
in the event a satisfactory Player Transfer Agreement has not yet been negotiated, to
discuss the status of the NHL's efforts to negotiate a new Agreement, and next steps, to
the extent any are necessary.

If this correctly sets forth our agreement, please sign one copy of this letter
and return it to me.

Yours very truly,

/s/ WILLIAM L. DALY

Wiliam L. Daly
Deputy Commissioner
National Hockey League

AGREED AND ACCEPTED:

/s/ TED SASKIN
Ted Saskin for the
NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE
PLAYERS' ASSOCIATION

Date: July22, 2005

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Tra La La

vCash: 500
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...ry/354816.html
Quote:
In January, the two sides opted out of a four-year transfer agreement. An interim agreement (see: Band-Aid) also was dumped. The relationship between the two sides appears to be in limbo, and no resolution is expected any time soon. Russia and the Czech Republic are no longer interested in sending their prospects over here.

What now? We’ll see. The deadline for signing European prospects for 2008-09 was supposed to be next Sunday. With no transfer agreement in place, there’s no longer a deadline. It means the Sabres aren’t likely to land Swedish goaltending prospect Jhonas Enroth, a second-round pick whom they wanted to start in (sshhh!) AHL Portland, until this mess is resolved.
I'm a little confused.

Next sunday was the Persson,Enroth,Kryukov deadline? Sign them or lose them? Now maybe it is, maybe it isn't? I would think the issue regarding comp picks needs to be known? I.E. will comp picks still be awarded based on that date? Or does the team give notice to the league they are walking away? Applying for the comp picks?

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 07:57 AM
BritSabre

Regardless, I think the management is completely stupid to not have Enroth signed by now. Yes he's undersized but he's been fantastic for a 19 year old. If we lose him it will be yet another embarrassing decision for our team. Pretty soon we'll be the laughing stock of the league.

BritSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Reducer View Post
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...ry/354816.html

I'm a little confused.

Next sunday was the Persson,Enroth,Kryukov deadline? Sign them or lose them? Now maybe it is, maybe it isn't? I would think the issue regarding comp picks needs to be known? I.E. will comp picks still be awarded based on that date? Or does the team give notice to the league they are walking away? Applying for the comp picks?
The comp pick for Persson would be automatic. Kriukov's comp pick would have to be applied for as he's a special case. Otherwise Buffalo would have lost his rights a couple years ago. Also, FWIW, there will be no compensation for Enroth as he's a second rounder and compensatory picks are only awarded for 1st rounders.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Kruschiki

vCash: 50
Kriukov will be in the AHL this year.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblio View Post

http://www.eurohockey.net/players/sh...i?serial=27611

Well at least he spent the full year in the RSL. I think they'd rather have the 2nd round pick?

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 02:50 PM
BritSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblio View Post
Highly unlikely. Kriukov will never be as valuable as a 2nd rounder. The best thing they can do is walk away this year or next year with a strong, deep draft. He's a 4th liner in the RSL and probably couldn't manage that in the NHL.

BritSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 11:13 AM
hizzoner

Right now the most interesting thing for most of us is the upcoming draft. I cannot develop enough emotion watching Detroit and Pittsburgh--I just do not care. For me whether we waive the rights to Kriukov or Persson is of great significance and interest. I wish we knew more about this and I wish that Sabres management catered a little more to the hard core Sabre fan by discussing options re this. I follow the hockey news as much as most and see a lot of live games and have all the specialty channels available to me. Still I have to depend on others as far as Kriukov or Persson. Nothing I hear about them is good. Before there may be changes to the system, and thinking of our farm needs it makes sense to renounce our rights and move on. If we can get a bag of used pucks plus for Burachikov then fine also. I would not pick a Russian ever again and would not pick a European in the first 2 or 3 rounds. They have their own culture, are well paid and have great tax benefits which means they do not want to play here except for top dollar. That make sense--but also makes them risky picks.. Come on Darcy let us know what is happening and we can start planning our expanded second round draft analysis!

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 11:17 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

How we could realistically waive the rights to a guy before even giving him a taste of NA professional hockey is well beyond me. I'm not implying Persson will be great by any stretch of the imagination, but for ****'s sake, give him a LOOK!

A lot of guys benefit from coming over and learning a new style of play, and those same guys often benefit from a simple change of scenery. If we bring Persson over and he flops, so be it. I'd rather take that chance as opposed to getting a comp pick for him without seeing what he could possibly bring to the table in NA

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 12:21 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

This is getting stupid regarding Enroth. Come on, get it done. There's a big gap between the current NHL starter in Miller and the guy behind him on the depth chart [who is under contract]. Adam Dennis isn't going to cut it.

BackGroundMusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzoner View Post
Come on Darcy let us know what is happening and we can start planning our expanded second round draft analysis!
For now, plan on picking at #43 only.

Hobey Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 01:19 PM
rabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritSabre View Post
If we lose him it will be yet another embarrassing decision for our team. Pretty soon we'll be the laughing stock of the league.
You already are...

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote