HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Staal

Old
05-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
If they go over the cap they just get penalized with 1st round picks taken away, I'm not entirely sure how it works but thats the just of it, and If their shot for getting a decent prospect is gone well its kinda like who cares in their favor.
Thats not the NHL penalty for going over the cap... thats the CFL penalty.

In the NHL the league office must approve all contracts.... They will refuse to authorize any contract that puts a team over the cap.

In the NFL if you are over the cap the league puts your players on waivers for you... the start with your lowest paid player, then the next lowest and so on until you are back under the cap.

The NBA doesn't authorize trades or signings that puts teams over the cap either.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Corey

Jordan Staal is a good fit for Pittsburgh. He hasn't begun to make big bucks yet and he's not close to free agency. The Pens would let a players go before Staal, including Hossa, Malone, Orpik, Ruutu, and Sykora.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 06:55 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Jordan Staal is a good fit for Pittsburgh. He hasn't begun to make big bucks yet and he's not close to free agency. The Pens would let a players go before Staal, including Hossa, Malone, Orpik, Ruutu, and Sykora.
Yes.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
During the 07 WC, you could see the difference in the games of the 2 Staal's. Jordan pays attn. to detail, is a coach's player, does all the little trhing you want done, never gets you in trouble.

Eric can be frustarting for periods of time but is very explosive, and can put up numbers in a hurry after a slow start or a down period.

Now, I factor in that I was watching an 18 year old, but I didn't see the offensive upside that his brother has. I may prefer him, there are times that a 70 point guy is more valuable than a 90 point guy, but I don't think the verdict is in yet as to what kind of offensive player he'll become.

If he's a beast, but a 65-75 poiunt guy, he may never be at a salary range that would preclude Pitt. from keeping him.
He still scored 29G in his first season, but i wasn't insinuating that he'll have the offensive punch his bro has. You're right its too early to tell, but i dont think he will ever reach a 90-100pt season.

And yes, like you said, I don't think he'll command that much money but that also depends on the length of his contract. This also depends whether or not they sign Hossa. If they do, then i don't see how they can have Crosby-Hossa-Malkin commanding close to 25M by themselves with Staal close to 4M imo. Doesn't leave much space after, especially with Fleury, Gonchar and Whitney.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 07:06 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
He still scored 29G in his first season, but i wasn't insinuating that he'll have the offensive punch his bro has. You're right its too early to tell, but i dont think he will ever reach a 90-100pt season.

And yes, like you said, I don't think he'll command that much money but that also depends on the length of his contract. This also depends whether or not they sign Hossa. If they do, then i don't see how they can have Crosby-Hossa-Malkin commanding close to 25M by themselves with Staal close to 4M imo. Doesn't leave much space after, especially with Fleury, Gonchar and Whitney.
Personally, I don't believe Hossa makes sense for them.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
We have a chance to get Jared Staal, no? (according to the father of all young Staals, Jared is the most talented but least motivated but has been playing with more urgency in the last year or so, just in time for the Draft...).
MISQUOTE. They were talking about Jordan, not Jared.

There's a reason why nobody's talking about the brother of 3 of the best young stars in our game. If he were Jimmy Smith he'd be a 6th rounder.

Think Wayne Primeau, but a little more timid. Any GM that takes Jared in the 1st 2 rounds is an idiot. It's even questionable that Jared can even make it to the NHL with the way he skates right now.

Max potential: 3rd line checking forward, 20 goals.
Realistically: 4th line checking forward

If you want to take a guy in the 1st 2 rounds based on his bloodlines, pick Toews, or McRae in the 4th. Hell, even Brett Hextall will probably be a better NHLer than Jared Staal.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 05-26-2008 at 07:58 AM.
Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchendoh View Post
Can the Habs get him? He seems like a perfect fit. The Habs would have to give a lot but can he really stay on the 3rd line forever with Pittsburgh? I don't see Pittsburgh moving Malkin or Crosby.

He's the big strong center the Habs have been looking for.
I find he is vastly overrated because of his name. I think he'll be a guy that you'll always ecpect a lot more from and not get like a Pat Marleau.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 09:11 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I find he is vastly overrated because of his name. I think he'll be a guy that you'll always ecpect a lot more from and not get like a Pat Marleau.
As the poster stated above, Jordan was always said to be the best Staal. Sure, he didn't have that great of a year offensively, but he's 19. I would take him over the other two any day.

I would trade anyone on the team for him ('cept Price).

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
But they do not control destiny; they cannot see in the futur. If they do sign Hossa for say...6 Mill. Then sign Malone for 5. Can you imagine what would happen in the futur when Sidney and Malkin become free agents(UFA or RFA)...? You cannot have a 70 Million budget for players anymore.

But I think the sticking point will be when Staal has had enough playing on the third line. Add that to the money and he will ask to go.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Personally, I don't believe Hossa makes sense for them.
I dont either, but they did get to the cup with him. He is one of the top scorers..
But yea, I see them making a pitch for a defenseman during the off-season.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 02:58 PM
MathMan

Staal is a great young player, but right now he IS a bit overrated because of his name, because of the team he plays on, and because of a fluke season in which he shot 22%. It was followed by a fluke season in which he shot 6%, and garnered points totals comparable to Sergei or Lats.

Right now, he's about a 35-to-40 point player. Not bad to have, sure, especially since he's pretty good defensively, but also not the Savior (tm).

Yes, he is only 19. Yes, he could indeed develop into a franchise center. Yes, I'd love to have him on the Habs' system.

But he's not an immediate solution. Right now, he would be the Habs' third-line center.

And you know, he may never turn out to be what he's projected to be. Such is the risk with prospects. Oh, that's no reason to abandon him or let him go or to think he might not pan out, but it's quite a different matter to give away assets worthy of a prime star to land a guy who's a quality prospect.

And right now that's what he is: a prospect. He is not a star at this point.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
We have a chance to get Jared Staal, no? (according to the father of all young Staals, Jared is the most talented but least motivated but has been playing with more urgency in the last year or so, just in time for the Draft...).

But, I have a feeling he will go among the first top 20 picks (we're 25th in selecting).

BTW, if Malkin is not there, Jordan would be Pittsburgh's 2nd center, and a solid one, imo.

iMI, Jordan is a great 3rd liner but he can be a great 2nd line center on other teams.
Maybe he even has 1st center line potential.
I would take a shot at Jared,but only in the 2nd round(early) we would need a trade to move up in the 2nd

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby View Post
MISQUOTE. They were talking about Jordan, not Jared.

There's a reason why nobody's talking about the brother of 3 of the best young stars in our game. If he were Jimmy Smith he'd be a 6th rounder.

Think Wayne Primeau, but a little more timid. Any GM that takes Jared in the 1st 2 rounds is an idiot. It's even questionable that Jared can even make it to the NHL with the way he skates right now.

Max potential: 3rd line checking forward, 20 goals.
Realistically: 4th line checking forward

If you want to take a guy in the 1st 2 rounds based on his bloodlines, pick Toews, or McRae in the 4th. Hell, even Brett Hextall will probably be a better NHLer than Jared Staal.

I know, I think I "doubled-up" on the subject (including Jared in the "Jordan" discussion!).

You might be right with Jared, like they say, only time will tell...!!
He'll go, imo, within the first 15-20 picks anyway.
His dad has been saying it for many years now...that Jared is the most talented among the Staals, but least motivated...

Jonathan Toews' brother is 5'10, no? I've read that he is nowhere close to his brother, Jonathan.

BTW, who is that in your avatar?! He looks darn happy (he has Peewee-Herman's smile!!).
-------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I would take a shot at Jared,but only in the 2nd round(early) we would need a trade to move up in the 2nd
Both our picks in the 2nd Round are late?

1st Round is 25th overall.

?...2nd Round (45th overall) and 2nd round (50th overall?)...?

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 05-26-2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Pedro McGuire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richybaby View Post
Not interested
Speak for yourself!

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 11:48 PM
Sthabs

Quote:
Both our picks in the 2nd Round are late?

1st Round is 25th overall.

?...2nd Round (45th overall) and 2nd round (50th overall?)...?
The extra 2nd round we have from Anaheim is next year.

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 12:55 AM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
He would be exceptional on our team.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 03:45 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post
The extra 2nd round we have from Anaheim is next year.
Thanks for that...I really thought we had TWO 2nd Round picks this year.

Oh, well...2009 is supposed to be good, too!

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 07:09 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
I know, I think I "doubled-up" on the subject (including Jared in the "Jordan" discussion!).

You might be right with Jared, like they say, only time will tell...!!
He'll go, imo, within the first 15-20 picks anyway.
His dad has been saying it for many years now...that Jared is the most talented among the Staals, but least motivated...

Jonathan Toews' brother is 5'10, no? I've read that he is nowhere close to his brother, Jonathan.

BTW, who is that in your avatar?! He looks darn happy (he has Peewee-Herman's smile!!).
-------------------
No offense, but you couldn't have things more backwards if you tried.

David Toews is very underrated, he is a great all-around player but doesn't have the pure skill of his brother. Unlike Jared, this kid can actually skate. And this obsession with size is very silly.

Jared can't skate for ****, his offensive skills are suspect and the only reason people see offensive 'potential' in him is because he's been watched since he was 15 and people deliberately try to take something positive from watching him. He's a project(that's being generous) that would be drafted much later if his last name wasn't Staal.

I cannot stress this enough: if a GM takes Staal before 20th overall in this deep draft they should be fired. You can easily grab a 2nd line C or #2D from top to bottom in the 1st.

My pic is of Jeff Wahl.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Sthabs

Showing off his Teets job!

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 12:27 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Let's pray our first isn't wasted on Jared Staal.

Jordan Staal hasn't emerged as the played he can be, because of his role in Pittsburgh. He knows what it is, and that's to be defensive minded and a shutdown. A few more years and this guy could be a Henrik Zetterberg. Offensively gifted and anot a defensive liability.

Him and Jeff Carter both show huge promise to be amazing players, a step above what Higgins can be. No, not a bash on him, he (Higgins) should do good for us, but those two players will do better.

And Kostitsyn won't score 45 goals. Unless the NHL continues to make it easier to score, then he might

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Let's pray our first isn't wasted on Jared Staal.

Jordan Staal hasn't emerged as the played he can be, because of his role in Pittsburgh. He knows what it is, and that's to be defensive minded and a shutdown. A few more years and this guy could be a Henrik Zetterberg. Offensively gifted and anot a defensive liability.

Him and Jeff Carter both show huge promise to be amazing players, a step above what Higgins can be. No, not a bash on him, he (Higgins) should do good for us, but those two players will do better.

And Kostitsyn won't score 45 goals. Unless the NHL continues to make it easier to score, then he might
It won't.

Zetterberg is a bad comparison 'cause he doesn't have a frame even near Staal's. A better one would be Mats Sundin, but with a lower ceiling offensively. Sure they are above Higgins.. he was projected as a third liner while Carter (14th? overall) and Staal(2nd overall) were projected as star players.

I hate when people write assumptions based on nothing. He scored 27 goals in his first complete season with the Habs, why would it be impossible for him to score 45 during his career? He certainly has the tools.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 04:39 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
It won't.

Zetterberg is a bad comparison 'cause he doesn't have a frame even near Staal's. A better one would be Mats Sundin, but with a lower ceiling offensively. Sure they are above Higgins.. he was projected as a third liner while Carter (14th? overall) and Staal(2nd overall) were projected as star players.

I hate when people write assumptions based on nothing. He scored 27 goals in his first complete season with the Habs, why would it be impossible for him to score 45 during his career? He certainly has the tools.
Yes I agree, Fans/Habs Fans have the tendency to compare, hype, overhype, all that jazz for players who havn't even gone to the AHL or NHL yet. Watch and See, You never know Higgins might miraculously become a Rolston, or Sergei might be the next Jagr.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 06:50 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Yes I agree, Fans/Habs Fans have the tendency to compare, hype, overhype, all that jazz for players who havn't even gone to the AHL or NHL yet. Watch and See, You never know Higgins might miraculously become a Rolston, or Sergei might be the next Jagr.
Going strictly by numbers, Rolston hit 30 goals in his 9th year. Higgins is way ahead of the curve in terms of the 2 players at a comparative time.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 01:26 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 693
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Jordan Staal is horrible at faceoffs. He's had a horrible year.
We don't need him when Kyle Chipchura is ready to go. Giving up Plekanec for him is ludacris. Pleks had a break out season, increased his totals. Staal in his second year decided it was ok to have an off season.

Anyone willing to give up core players for non-consistant player knows NOT what the Habs need.

Winning is not the #1 thing. They want to win THEIR way.....even if it means they're handicapping themselves.
compile is offline   Reply With Quote