HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Champlain CEGEP St-Lambert

Old
05-27-2008, 08:10 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Pretty sure those two retired tho. 'Cause I never heard of them or seen them on the cancellation screens.

Good god McPhee went to my school? Did you leave your signature anywhere in the school or any artifacts?
Pretty sure that bleach took care of anything I left there.

It does warm my heart to know that N&G's is still there. Great subs. The brasserie in th emetro station was exactly a 15 minute walk, exactly.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 08:45 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Pretty sure that bleach took care of anything I left there.

It does warm my heart to know that N&G's is still there. Great subs. The brasserie in th emetro station was exactly a 15 minute walk, exactly.
WHhhha?? There was a brasserie in the metro station??

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 08:55 AM
AD

Chinnerman (sp?) was probably the most excentric teacher I ever had.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 09:05 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
WHhhha?? There was a brasserie in the metro station??
There isn't anymore ? Yeah, it was downstairs, I think on the departure side. Now that I think of it, it may have been the Metro Tavern as it was just about the time when tavern's were disappearing and brasseries were in. Yeah, it was a tavern then, the young ladies didn't accompany us there. otoh, tehy were smart enough to abstain [from alcohol] before class. Nothing quite like sociology when you have that buzz that only a young drinker can get.

Old
05-27-2008, 09:13 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Chinnerman (sp?) was probably the most excentric teacher I ever had.
I don't know if it changed over the years but you had to take a Humanities every semester and they were usually the nut job classes.

Think about when I was there, 72,73, Cegep teachers definitely represented the young culture of the day. Champlain had a few American born teachers who thought it best to remain in Canada those days and we were happy to have them and supported their presence.

I remember a Humanities class, taught by a spaced out bearded man , I'd guess late 40's, who talked a lot about crossing Mexico on a burro, who seemed to play the Dead's Riding that train song, over and over. After one too many classes of tribal chants and dances, which you can take if you have a friend in the class, which I didn't, I just walked out mid chorus one day. Thought I was smart but I probably had to take a summer course to get the final credit. Probably should've kept singing and dancing.

Old
05-27-2008, 09:14 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
There isn't anymore ? Yeah, it was downstairs, I think on the departure side. Now that I think of it, it may have been the Metro Tavern as it was just about the time when tavern's were disappearing and brasseries were in. Yeah, it was a tavern then, the young ladies didn't accompany us there. otoh, tehy were smart enough to abstain [from alcohol] before class. Nothing quite like sociology when you have that buzz that only a young drinker can get.
Good ol' times huh?

Old
05-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
I don't know if it changed over the years but you had to take a Humanities every semester and they were usually the nut job classes.

Think about when I was there, 72,73, Cegep teachers definitely represented the young culture of the day. Champlain had a few American born teachers who thought it best to remain in Canada those days and we were happy to have them and supported their presence.

I remember a Humanities class, taught by a spaced out bearded man , I'd guess late 40's, who talked a lot about crossing Mexico on a burro, who seemed to play the Dead's Riding that train song, over and over. After one too many classes of tribal chants and dances, which you can take if you have a friend in the class, which I didn't, I just walked out mid chorus one day. Thought I was smart but I probably had to take a summer course to get the final credit. Probably should've kept singing and dancing.
Ya the Humanities every semester is about right. Good god, we are far from my Western Civ. classes.

Old
05-27-2008, 09:54 AM
AD

Quote:
Brasserie is still there.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Montrealer

I enjoyed my time there. Of course, I think I went to 33% of my classes, but Cegep [especially Liberal Arts or any of the social sciences] is a great time to learn all sorts of card games and other ways to goof off.

Didn't hurt my grades at all but I think it ruined me for University, which is why I never finished at Concordia. Meh, it's not like PoliSci would have done anything for me in my current work in IT, so I guess it didn't hurt me too much.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Habnot

Quote:
I posted before reading the rest of the thread. He taught at Champlain the year it opened, before the building on Riverside was finished. They had to split classes between the old Royal George building in GPK and somewhere in St.Lambert that I can't remember. The classes were designated by playing cards, like you'd have English at 10 in the 10 of hearts.
What the hell McPhee, where is Bob? How am I going to find your posts, actually reading names?

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 10:54 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
What the hell McPhee, where is Bob? How am I going to find your posts, actually reading names?
Hmm, one morning he was just gone. Like the movie, I'm not There. I'll have to get him back. I'm a big boy now, I can do it all by myself, don't have to wait for a young smartass to get home from school.

Old
05-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Habnot

Quote:

Wow McPhee, I didn't know that Carlos Castaneda taught at Champlain. Any sightings of Don Juan.

Btw, it's all starting to make sense.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 11:04 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Wow McPhee, I didn't know that Carlos Castaneda taught at Champlain. Any sightings of Don Juan.

Btw, it's all starting to make sense.
The guy had long grey hair, wore a poncho, and said his motto while crossing Mexico on a burro was 'Never look behind you '

I guess he lived his words as he didn't notice when I left while he was waving his arms in the air dancing around the class.

Old
05-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Sir Jacques Demers

I'm a pretty lousy student (at times), but I gotta say I wasn't a big fan of Champlain. If you live near it and own a car it's worthwhile. I was annoyed by a lot of little things at that school.

A lot of teachers have the rule that you can't be absent more than 3 times for no reason - trust me this gets really bad for some of the english/humanities classes.

I was in Science btw. I really never found my "comfort-zone" in that school, and above all I couldn't stand that registrar's office and the very moody and condescending ladies that work there.

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
too many italians
You've obviously never visited Vanier.
At Vanier there are 2 cafeterias. The Italians populate an entire cafeteria on their own.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote