HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: Stanley Cup Finals - Wings vs Pens Discussion

Old
05-26-2008, 10:09 PM
blandBob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Haha, I was just about to mention that thread. The hypocrisy of that entire board is just mind-boggling.

I can't say we would have fared much better than the Pens, but I dare to say we would have lost with much more dignity.

And I think we would have been a more worthy opponent for Detroit and made it more interesting.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 10:09 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
i love how Whitney *****ed and moaned after he hit Franzen in the head. He just had a concussion you dumbass and Roberts had just punched him in the head.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 10:10 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueMahone View Post
Chris ain't that bad.
Notice how the Wings dmen get behind the forward who is taking the pass from down low in the offensive zone? More than a few times they kept the pressure on because they covered for each other. If the puck was missed, the guy directly behind it covered. smart as hell. The puck didn't go sliding out of the offensive zone, it was sent back in deep.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I also LOVE how their d-men work the powerplay. Lidstrom and Rafalski play on their off wings and when they're ready they'll skate parallel to the blue line towards the center of the ice until they find an open lane to take the shot. Our d-men can barely skate, let alone do all that

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Had not seen the Red Wings much, but god damn they are some team. Everyone is behind the same puck, and they can play any kind of game you want. Gotta look to the GM for putting such a diverse mix of guys out on the ice, as they literally have every type of player to make the team versatile.

Doing this all with freakin' Chris Osgood in net
Osgood is playing a hell of a series. He hasn't had to make too many huge saves, but he's been incredibly solid. His rebound control is impeccable, his stick handling is money and his positioning has been almost perfect.

The way a team is playing tells you a lot about how confident they are in their goalie. I'd say the Wings are pretty damn confident. As they should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueMahone View Post
And I think we would have been a more worthy opponent for Detroit and made it more interesting.
Well we did get beat by the same team that is getting rocked right now. So thats tough to say with confidence. At least for me it is.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 10:12 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The Red Wings are an incredible team.

That is why they won the President's Trophy, thats why they haven't allowed a goal yet in this Stanley Cup Final.

They pass the puck ridiculously well, with confidence, through traffic. They play a team defense.

I haven't seen a team play as a cohesive unit of 6 (that includes the goaltender) as well as they do.

And the simple fact that their two best offensive players (Datsyuk and Zetterberg) just happen to be two of their most defensively sound forwards as well. What a luxury that is.

That team really is incredible. And they are a model franchise.

If we had half the offensive prowess that they have, we could have been the one playing them now. We were all defense, no offense this year.

THAT is something that needs to be adressed. It has nothing to do with our size, we need guys who can play both sides of the puck, and BURY IT.

Say what you will, but we DO have the coach and the goaltender to get us there. We need the SKATERS too.

Sather has to get creative.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 10:16 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlooded View Post
Anyone else think that it's ironic that the Pens have a thread to complain about diving, yet they were all over us for getting hung up on their own team diving? My my how the tables have turned. Those bandwagon fans sure are a funny bunch.

i am loving it, Crosby whined in his post game interview after game 1 about more calls and i just hope this is karma coming back to bite them on the ass, they are just on the other end of what has happened to every team that has played them these playoffs.

i still dont think they are out of it because they are so good at home but hopefully Detroit can get one in Pittsburgh, Bettman is probably crying his eyes out his team is 2-0 down, i can just see him sitting in his house with his Crosby shirt on surrounded by his Crosby posters watching the game

i wouldnt be surprised if Pittsburgh took the next two but i really hope they are shutout, Detroit are such an awesome team.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 10:20 PM
blandBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Well we did get beat by the same team that is getting rocked right now. So thats tough to say with confidence. At least for me it is.
Yes, I thought about that. But I guess I am just thinking about what might have been, til proven otherwise. In other words, I'm a fool

Old
05-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Celestial Black

Red Wings are truely showing what experience mixed with great young players can establish. Can't wait for game three. Hopefully Detroit will continue to make this a quick series.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 10:32 PM
blandBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fes View Post
I am emjoying the crying on the board, the thread about Osgood being a diver and all... Funny coming from a fan base who consistently lambasted us and Flyers fans for saying the same thing about Crosby. Only in our case, it was true.

This is too sweet. Go Wings.
I think Osgood is quite often academy award material, he over does lots of things. So do lots of goalies, actually Henrik doesn't which is kind of nice and very refreshing. But oh yeah, Osgood does pull some stuff as far as I am concerned. Good goalie though, and worth more than he is paid. But then again, he has a darn good defence in front of him who always back him up.

Old
05-26-2008, 10:40 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Detroit looks like they've been playing together for years, and it shows in the previous 2 wins against the Penguins. That is what Cup winners are made of.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 10:44 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I'm loving every part of this series. Osgood's stood on his head, the Wings are showing that they are a different team than the last few seasons and the tables are being turned on the Pens. **** Crosby, **** Therrien, **** Roberts and **** that whole piece of garbage team. I hope the Wings raise the cup at the Igloo Saturday.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 10:50 PM
snowcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
me too
Me three!

snowcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 10:51 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
I couldn't write the script any better myself... poor Penguins

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 11:13 PM
cmccallum

Therrien's comments after the game " on the fly " and to add Crosby was just a lil cocky as well.... anyone care to discuss?

cmccallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 11:26 PM
blandBob

well, they've felt pretty special in the playoffs up until this series. I actually think that they expected to win the cup, but maybe they are not quite so sure after tonight, though. Regardless, I think they are a crap organization and hope they lose to a truly great NHL franchise. Love to see Lemieux lose that smile. He's just a bit too smug for my liking.

Edit: I should not have said that Pittsburgh is a crap organization. That is not exactly a fair thing to say. I probably said it because I never was a huge Lemieux fan, and also because I suspect (just a totally unfounded suspicion) that many people at NHL head office favour them.

Last edited by blandBob: 05-27-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old
05-26-2008, 11:28 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
sweep the spoiled brats please.

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 11:34 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Yeah, I noticed that too. I also LOVE how their d-men work the powerplay. Lidstrom and Rafalski play on their off wings and when they're ready they'll skate parallel to the blue line towards the center of the ice until they find an open lane to take the shot. Our d-men can barely skate, let alone do all that
this is why i wanted one of gomez or drury and the other money used on rafalski. imagine if we had rafalski gomez and maybe nylander

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 12:17 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
You're talking about the best defenseman in the leauge (and the 2nd one is not exactly chopped liver either). Stanley Cup teams tend to have at least one, if not two, high level puck moving defensemen.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 12:31 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus the destroyer View Post
Therrien's comments after the game " on the fly " and to add Crosby was just a lil cocky as well.... anyone care to discuss?

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid...e&service=page

i mentioned this on the main board, if Therrien really believes this and is saying this to his team in the locker room the series is over. Detroit is just playing unbelievable but the Pens are strong at home so its not over

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 06:15 AM
OrbitalDynamics
Ants? Solid Plan.

I think we'll see the Penguins come out and play a physical game in front of their fans.Frustration is setting in,and is going to start manifesting itself in a more obvious manner.

They're going to try and set the tone in that first shift, but Detroit isn't a team to be rocked back on their heels by a few heavy hits in the first period.

Split in Pitt, and back to the Joe.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 09:08 AM
ThirdEye

I watched both games... and Detroit is just amazing... plain and simple. It's just a matter of them being the best team in the league... and by quite some margin. Total domination in the last two games. Penguins had all the momentum in the world going into that series 12-2, and Detroit somehow were able to turn all of that in their favor by the second period of the first game. That's not easy

Crosby seems to be the only one getting anything going. And even then, Lidstrom is canceling out a lot of his opportunities.

(By the way, I was having a hell of a time watching Crosby and Therrien complaining about diving calls )

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Lady Vengeance
FTTW

Before this series had started, I figured the Wings would win it in 6, with each game being hard-fought and close. But, man. I still think it's possible for the Penguins to snag a game, but it's going to be tough. It'd be one thing if these first two games had been a goal or two away for the Pens, but to be completely shutout? It's kind of ridiculous. and, yeah, more than a little satisfying.

Lady Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
It's funny the Red Wings fans were saying they thought there team was playing to lose last night. I wish my team played to lose like that.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 10:42 AM
chosen

If the first two games turn out to be an accurate barometer of the series, the Rangers are a whole lot further away from being a Cup contender than a lot of us previously thought. The Penguins throttled the Rangers and now they are being manhandled.

The problem Pittsburgh is having is that they have almost no time to think when they have the puck because Detroit is on them in nanoseconds, disrupting their every step. Detroit is suffocating them, getting them to turn the puck over and flying up ice in a flash.

For those here that have screamed for North-South and spewed venom against the non-North American game, here's proof that talent, whether it be North-South or East-West is the most important thing.

Would I love to have some of the "soft" Detroit Europeans on the Rangers.

On a side note, I know there are a lot of you that want Malone (I was on the fence), but no way I want him now. He seems like an idiot who plays without any self-control and his talent level doesn't appear all that high either. I think he benefits from being surrounded by greatness that makes him look better than he really is. Geez, even Dupuis looks like an offensive weapon on this team.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

I'm just really astonished at how badly they lose as a team. I mean not so much the score, but the way that they handle themselves as a team towards the end of an imminent loss and after the game as well. I knew they were immature, but I didn't think it was that prominent throughout the organization.

Mario has got to be pretty embarrassed by his teams antics. Therrien's antics included.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote