HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

After watching Game 1 of the Finals

Old
05-24-2008, 09:56 PM
predhead1

vCash: 500
After watching Game 1 of the Finals

I can't help but think that we definitely proved ourselves against the Wings. In all of their series, I've yet to see a team besides the Preds that really challenged the Wings and made them earn their goals. Granted we didn't play perfectly, but when our players were really executing the system, it gave the wings a lot of trouble.

We hear Crispy say it every game, but you have to eliminate their time and space, and the only way to do that is aggressive forechecking. I know some people think Tootoo is a waste of space, but he is the perfect tonic for their style of game - a really aggressive player that doesn't give them time to set up their puck possession. One can only wonder what might have happened if we had a little more talent and fewer injuries when we met them.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We have definitely played the Wings tougher than anyone to date. Then again, we have played them close for 3-4 straight seasons. We match up well with their style of play, but we do (unfortunately) fall short on talent. Last year, if our team was healthy, might have been the year we could have beat them in a 7 game series.

05-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Cruiser008

Quote:
Originally Posted by predhead1 View Post
I can't help but think that we definitely proved ourselves against the Wings. In all of their series, I've yet to see a team besides the Preds that really challenged the Wings and made them earn their goals. Granted we didn't play perfectly, but when our players were really executing the system, it gave the wings a lot of trouble.
I would agree with that. As Wings fan you guys certainly made me sweat during the Det/Nash series. Colorado and Dallas didn't do that and Pittsburgh haven't done that yet.

Nashville > Pittsburgh?

Cruiser008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 09:08 PM
irisheyes555

not to say we are better than the avs, stars or pens...but we seem to have played them a lot closer.

i do think we match up better against the wings. partly because we are geared towards playing them and have a good knowledge of how they play.

we split the season series with the kings for gods sake and almost with the wings. that alone tells me it is about the matchups and getting up for the game.

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 09:10 PM
dulzhok

But also, none of the other teams had a goalie playing lights-out like Dan Ellis, stopping 53 shots a game.

Also, Hasek was letting in questionable goals.

Sorry, but IMO, we were pretty badly outplayed.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 09:46 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
But also, none of the other teams had a goalie playing lights-out like Dan Ellis, stopping 53 shots a game.

Also, Hasek was letting in questionable goals.

Sorry, but IMO, we were pretty badly outplayed.

I didnt think we were badly outplayed in games 1-4. They might have played better in those games but it wasnt by a huge margin. You forgot the breaks Detroit had in games 1 and 2. The I didnt know the puck hit me and then I miss zetterberg tripping weber fiasco. Then rad's disallowed goal in game 2. Game 5 we were outplayed but our D did a great job of limiting their quality shots. They were outplaying us in game 6 but who knows what happens if Lindstrom doesnt score on that funny bounce.

Sure Osgood is playing much better than hasek however we were creating much more chances than the Pens or the Avs did. Considering almost all the bounces and calls went Detroits way I still think we played very well. Our young D especially Suter and hamhuis really played well that series.

I think right now you are wathcing the differnce between east and west hockey. East hockey is more skilled and fun to watch but West hockey is very systematic and right now the Wing's are forcing the pens to play their style of hockey. Something that I think we did a good job of denying the wings from doing for the most part. ( Well at least more than other teams)

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
We have definitely played the Wings tougher than anyone to date. Then again, we have played them close for 3-4 straight seasons. We match up well with their style of play, but we do (unfortunately) fall short on talent. Last year, if our team was healthy, might have been the year we could have beat them in a 7 game series.
Well everyone except my Hawks of course!

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 05:08 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

What I see with the Wings is that Hasek was the Predators MVP of the series and he needs to retire.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
What I see with the Wings is that Hasek was the Predators MVP of the series and he needs to retire.
seconded ... the Wings WOULD have swept us if Hasek wasn't given the starting job out of the gates

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 05:37 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
seconded ... the Wings WOULD have swept us if Hasek wasn't given the starting job out of the gates
I wouldn't go that far.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Jarnberg

I disagree. The Predators were still in every game, even with Osgood in net. We were out played in the last two games, but that had more to do with the team in front of the goalie rather than the goalie imo.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 01:48 PM
RabbinsDuck

I have been screaming this 'till I was blue in the face. Nashville is a good team. I think the Central is going to be a tough place to be next year with the Predators, Chicago and Blues only getting better. Thank goodness there will be less divisional play next year -- I think we might all agree on that.

Despite Hasek's softies, Nashville gave Detroit the best run for their money out of anyone so far. Agressive forechecking, a hot young goalie and a good, mobile defense. Many on the board insist on lumping Nashville in with Ottawa or Philly (with their injuries) when comparing the roads Detroit and the Pens had to get to the SCF. Nashville has stuck with the same coach and same system for years now, if they start spending money consistently they are really going to be monsters.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Sadekuuro

Nashville's defensemen really stood out--that's a scary blueline you guys are building.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote