HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Solution to Quebec's current hockey issues

Old
05-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Brisebois

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Solution to Quebec's current hockey issues

Wow, it's been a long time, but it's good to see that mcphee, Montreal, Marc the Habs Fan and many others are still posting.

I've been in Russia for the past year or so, in an area with barely any internet access (I'm on a waiting list to get high-speed internet. I should be getting it in two more months), but now I'm back for a visit, so I can post something that's been on my mind for awhile now.

The problem: I suppose it's the rise of other sports in the province, or perhaps people got poorer, maybe even global warming, but for some reason the QMJHL has been getting weaker and weaker.

A league that has been a consistent provider of NHL talent, is now getting maybe 10 players drafted out of it each year. Aside from the obvious fact that it has won the fewest memorial cups out of all three leagues, it seems like in 5 to 10 years, players from Quebec will be a tremendous minority.

I've read all the solutions about how the league needs a complete revamp, how hockey Quebec needs to get better coaching... but I thought of an idea which may help.

Or at the very least discussing it may help them come to a real solution. Regardless, it's a fun topic to discuss during the off-season.

The solution: since it is not the NHL, what if the draft was obliterated, and instead the league started letting teams take the players from their 'region.'

What I mean is, that every year, each team would be able to take whoever they want out of their LOCAL teams, so for example Sherbrooke would invite anyone from the Sherbrooke area (including Thetford mines, Magog, etc.), Chichoutimi would get their pick from Chicoutimi, Roberval, Amos... and of course St John's would grab any Newfy, and so on and so forth.

This would mean that:

A) Any team that wants to be taken seriously will put an effort into their local youth, making the problem of hockey in Quebec a local problem. Most teams will put an effort locally into developing talent, and with the competition that will result, it will be worth it for hockey Quebec.

B) When teams will play, it would have alot more meaning. It would be an entire team of players from Gatineau fighting to bring home a memorial cup, with an entire city of parents, friends, and relatives, packing the arena for intense playoff games. Every game would be entertaining, high-intensity, and players would need to max their potential to guide the team.

Every team would have packed houses every game.

Trading of course would be allowed. And as for the players from Ontario or from debatable areas, perhaps there would be a 1-round draft for them all.

What do you think?

Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Louiss

Very bad idea...

Louiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Canadiens1958

Certain Realities

Problem is that a number of the best hockey regions - Laval/Bourassa, Laurentides/Lanaudiere , Richelieu, do not have QMJHL teams while other regions Saguenay/Lac St. Jean has a QMJHL team - Chicoutimi, Bas de Fleuve has Rimouski but there is not enough elite talent to support a major junior team.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Magic33

if anything this would dilute the league even more due to some of problems mentionned above. Also, it would take years to enforce your ideas. I dont think it has any chance of working.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 03:31 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Oh dear god...We thought you were dead!!!

Welcome back Breezy!!

Old
05-26-2008, 03:35 PM
LPHabsFan

Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
How exactly would changing drafting procedures in the Q help develop players? Player development begins way before even dreaming about the Q and from everything I've seen, the past ten years minor hockey atleast in the Montreal area have been for the most part really really ****** in terms of quality of hockey. Take the Novie Tournament that's anually been held in Dollard-Des-Ormeaux. I did a quick look and saw no teams from even Ontario or the U.S. though I may have missed a couple but that's not the issue. 15 years ago when I played in it I played against a team from fricking Jamaica. There were always teams from all over Ontario and a number of teams from Quebec. 10 years ago it was still really good though not as bad. Now look at.

Now I'm not saying fix that and we've fixed everything. I'm just saying that's not a bad sign to look at when thinking about Minor Hockey at least in the Montreal area.

So we have to fix everything with the Minor Hockey Associations and that would fix things in terms of winning Memorial Cups.

LPHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Canadiens1958

Age Definitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPHabsFan View Post
How exactly would changing drafting procedures in the Q help develop players? Player development begins way before even dreaming about the Q and from everything I've seen, the past ten years minor hockey atleast in the Montreal area have been for the most part really really ****** in terms of quality of hockey. Take the Novie Tournament that's anually been held in Dollard-Des-Ormeaux. I did a quick look and saw no teams from even Ontario or the U.S. though I may have missed a couple but that's not the issue. 15 years ago when I played in it I played against a team from fricking Jamaica. There were always teams from all over Ontario and a number of teams from Quebec. 10 years ago it was still really good though not as bad. Now look at.

Now I'm not saying fix that and we've fixed everything. I'm just saying that's not a bad sign to look at when thinking about Minor Hockey at least in the Montreal area.

So we have to fix everything with the Minor Hockey Associations and that would fix things in terms of winning Memorial Cups.

Since 2001 the hockey year in Quebec has been defined as starting Oct 1, contrary to the rest of North America which defined the hockey year to start Jan 1 when defining a players hockey age. This has changed and Quebec is now in step for the 2008-09 season.

This made it very difficult for tournaments to attract teams from outside the province. This impacted severly on International tournaments like the D.D.O. Novice.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 05-26-2008 at 10:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old
05-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Beakermania*

My All-Time Favorite Male Poster is Back!!!!!

Hail Brisebois (the poster);

Oh god... I can't wait for those two months till you get high speed internet.... This is gonna be great.

P.S. Please lock up Lafleur again.... His comments to the media are really starting to make him sound and are stirring up major controversies..... Plus theres the whole son thing.... It was better when he was in your basement.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-26-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 10:09 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
My All-Time Favorite Male Poster is Back!!!!!

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post

My big time bad there.....

I hope I fixed it....

Just remember sweetie.... I never once asked Brisebois on a date.... and I never made a thread for him either.....

The problem is I don't even lump you in as one of the other posters now.... You're my girlfriend.... thats a level so far above the rest of them....

Old
05-26-2008, 10:16 PM
LilWinger11

It's ok. I might pout for a couple days anyway though. I mean,

Old
05-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
It's ok. I might pout for a couple days anyway though. I mean,
I'll just have to work extra hard to turn that frown upside down the next couple days.

Old
05-26-2008, 11:12 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisebois View Post
What I mean is, that every year, each team would be able to take whoever they want out of their LOCAL teams, so for example Sherbrooke would invite anyone from the Sherbrooke area (including Thetford mines, Magog, etc.), Chichoutimi would get their pick from Chicoutimi, Roberval, Amos... and of course St John's would grab any Newfy, and so on and so forth.
Don't lie, you have been away since 2003...

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
Don't lie, you have been away since 2003...
That's a lot of new year celebrations.

And sorry Beakermania, but in Russia we don't have basements.

Fetisov is locked up in my outhouse though.

Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 08:45 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisebois View Post
That's a lot of new year celebrations.

And sorry Beakermania, but in Russia we don't have basements.

Fetisov is locked up in my outhouse though.
Welcome back, Rabbi. Hope you stick around a bit.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 10:31 AM
VanNistelrooy

I would make the hitting legal in Pee-Wee CC, BB, AA, AAA.

I would let the elite 15 years old and 16 years old who can't play in the Q for various reasons to play in the Junior AAA. That would increase the level of the league and give a better developpement to the youngsters who would face an older opposition.

I would make an other grades of certifications for coaches who would want to coach at competition hockey (CC, BB, AA, AAA) to give them a better formation and make that required for each and every coach to coach a single game.

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 03:18 PM
peicurler91

Simple answer for the QMJHL Problems, they need to draft ouside of Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes, go for the western players thats where a lot of talent comes from

peicurler91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Artie

Where do you start...

Coaching at the grassroots level
Ice availability
Cost of playing is becoming prohibitive for some
Too much emphasis on games not enough on practices
HQ policies on classifications
Families pursuing better schooling opportunities south of the border
Lack of a true development program aimed at the top players.

Some are being addressed, but for the most part the majority of folks involved at the HQ level, while they may be well intentioned are a little too dinosauric in their thinking and approach.

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 03:58 PM
tonynyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
I would make the hitting legal in Pee-Wee CC, BB, AA, AAA.

I would let the elite 15 years old and 16 years old who can't play in the Q for various reasons to play in the Junior AAA. That would increase the level of the league and give a better developpement to the youngsters who would face an older opposition.

I would make an other grades of certifications for coaches who would want to coach at competition hockey (CC, BB, AA, AAA) to give them a better formation and make that required for each and every coach to coach a single game.

I'm 15, and play in Montreal, so I know the system, and I think Midget Espoir is a good system (best 15 year olds play in the Espoir league, with a few in AAA). On the other hand, I think HQ should associate Midget AAA and Espoir teams to QMJHL teams, a less drastic way to encourage grassroots development than Breezer's suggestion, but petty similar in results. This way, there would be a Bantam draft like in the WHL, and Q teams would bring their players up through the system.

Also, hitting shouldn't just start in Pee Wee double letters, it should start in Atom, at all levels. The size difference between kids is smaller at that age so they could acclimate themselves with the physical game at a young age, like in Ontario or the USA.

To respond to your coaching question, there actually is a class coaches must take before coaching double letters.

tonynyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 05:03 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynyy View Post
I'm 15, and play in Montreal, so I know the system, and I think Midget Espoir is a good system (best 15 year olds play in the Espoir league, with a few in AAA). On the other hand, I think HQ should associate Midget AAA and Espoir teams to QMJHL teams, a less drastic way to encourage grassroots development than Breezer's suggestion, but petty similar in results. This way, there would be a Bantam draft like in the WHL, and Q teams would bring their players up through the system.

Also, hitting shouldn't just start in Pee Wee double letters, it should start in Atom, at all levels. The size difference between kids is smaller at that age so they could acclimate themselves with the physical game at a young age, like in Ontario or the USA.

To respond to your coaching question, there actually is a class coaches must take before coaching double letters.
I'm pretty sure hitting starts at Pee-Wee in the U.S.

Old
05-27-2008, 05:15 PM
HABitual Fan

Hockey Quebec is changing the classifications starting this coming season in an attempt to boost the level of Quebec players. Until now starting at the Atom level there was BB, A, B, and C teams. Under the new format, they have cut drastically the number of BB teams and added CC teams. As well they have merged areas for those levels, so the kids playing BB will be for the most part the top players in the province, and will be playing against each other hopefully at a much higher level of competition then they now have. It remains to be seen if this move will be successful or not.

HABitual Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Beakermania*

Hockey Canada held a summit after Team Canada failed to medal in the 1998 olympics....

What ideas were implemented after that in the other provinces... and where the same ideas implemented in Quebec??

Old
05-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual Fan View Post
Hockey Quebec is changing the classifications starting this coming season in an attempt to boost the level of Quebec players. Until now starting at the Atom level there was BB, A, B, and C teams. Under the new format, they have cut drastically the number of BB teams and added CC teams. As well they have merged areas for those levels, so the kids playing BB will be for the most part the top players in the province, and will be playing against each other hopefully at a much higher level of competition then they now have. It remains to be seen if this move will be successful or not.
HQ's change of heart on classification has more to do with finances than with player development. YES CALL ME CYNICAL.

While it has addressed the skill disparity at the BB level, it has left all kinds of loopholes for minor hockey associations to opt out of BB and make more CC teams.

Since 2001 HQ seems more interested in appealing to the masses rather than the development of the elite players. (not that that is a bad thing) I just think we are missing that elite step.

Tonynyy brings up an interesting point. It would be interesting to explore, although the sport etudes programs that have been around since the early 2000's doesn't really seem to be helping like many thought it would.

I still think they need to address the coaching and movement of players in AAA and in the Q so that it remains an attractive alternative to the many who are flocking to the US Prep schools.

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Teufelsdreck

Stop shuffling the deck chairs and waving the fleur de lys. . Put more money into the Québec programs. Build facilities. Hire better coaches.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Canadiens1958

Finances and Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
HQ's change of heart on classification has more to do with finances than with player development. YES CALL ME CYNICAL.

While it has addressed the skill disparity at the BB level, it has left all kinds of loopholes for minor hockey associations to opt out of BB and make more CC teams.

Since 2001 HQ seems more interested in appealing to the masses rather than the development of the elite players. (not that that is a bad thing) I just think we are missing that elite step.

Tonynyy brings up an interesting point. It would be interesting to explore, although the sport etudes programs that have been around since the early 2000's doesn't really seem to be helping like many thought it would.

I still think they need to address the coaching and movement of players in AAA and in the Q so that it remains an attractive alternative to the many who are flocking to the US Prep schools.
The appeal to the masses started in the early 1960's when Montreal built and operated four municipally operated rinks gradually forcing the private rinks of the era - the Paul Sauve Arena and the Maurice Richard into public hands.This has grown to the point that presently the vast majority of the arenas in the province are publically owned and operated.

One of the main problems is that there are associations in charge of hockey programs that are community organizations as opposed to hockey organizations. As a result hockey, especially elite hockey, takes a back seat.

When applying for funding at the various levels it is more impressive and financially advantageous to show that your organization annually gives 500 - 1000 kids a chance to play single letter hockey within your district than 20 kids a chance to play
elite hockey outside the arrondissement. The political impact of the voting parents/relatives/friends generated by the single letter kids is greater than that generated by the elite kids.