HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Scoring Lines + 2 UFA's = 1 Cup Run

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-27-2008, 07:24 PM
  #1
Doc Hock
Registered User
 
Doc Hock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
3 Scoring Lines + 2 UFA's = 1 Cup Run

We all have a prett good sense that guys like Ryder, Bisebois, Smoke and Dandy wont be with Habs next year...nt rocket science now is it. Frees up coin for both RFA's and UFA's as well as the ability once again to promote from within...which is a very good thing.

After reflcting on what the team wasmissing I guess it comes own to a cople of UFA's and more of yhe same. The other big changeis too finally have the firepower to have 3 offensive/scoring lines backed up by a killer smack in the mouth 4th line.

So rant...rave...clap...flush down the toilet...or agree...hell of a lot better than where to buy pizza or what ar your favorite live tunes!!!

Higgins --- Koivu --- Hossa

Rolston --- Plecs --- Kovy

S. Kost ---- Grabs --- A. Kost

By adding Hossa we get the best and most consistent offensive forward on the UFA market

By adding Rolston we get a true sniper to compliment the artistry of both Plecs and Kovy

By leting the boys from Belarus play together we get the offensive equivalent of the Hanson brothers

Not even going to touc the 4th line possibilities or the D and in netell nothing needs to be said.

So Bob & Co. you are oly 2 players away from the cup and of course you know that

ocHock

Doc Hock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 07:26 PM
  #2
Seb
Unregistered User
 
Seb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 7,051
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Hossa

I had to do it

Seb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 07:28 PM
  #3
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Signing Hossa means No more coins to sign Rolston.. sorry to burst your bubble.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 07:29 PM
  #4
snakeye
Registered User
 
snakeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,788
vCash: 500
Where's Lecavalier?

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 07:44 PM
  #5
Doc Hock
Registered User
 
Doc Hock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
Salary cap 101

last year the habs were at $48 million

this year the cap will be between $54 and $56 mill

the Habs had 6 home games in the playoffs...worth 10 games or 1 quarter of an nhl season

scratch Huet at about $3 mill, likewise Ryder at $2.9 mill, Smoke at $2 mill, Dandy just under $2 mill and Brisebois at $700K...almost $11 mill

so back at $37 mill and a bunch for RFA`s and we still have about $12 to $14 mill


doc hock

Doc Hock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 07:45 PM
  #6
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Grabovki's line will de demolished in every possible sense of the term if we put it on ice

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 07:47 PM
  #7
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hock View Post
Salary cap 101

last year the habs were at $48 million

this year the cap will be between $54 and $56 mill

the Habs had 6 home games in the playoffs...worth 10 games or 1 quarter of an nhl season

scratch Huet at about $3 mill, likewise Ryder at $2.9 mill, Smoke at $2 mill, Dandy just under $2 mill and Brisebois at $700K...almost $11 mill

so back at $37 mill and a bunch for RFA`s and we still have about $12 to $14 mill


doc hock
We also have some key RFA's and UFA's next year (Higgins, Pleks, Komisarek, Saku, Kovalev) and by signing Hossa and Rolston it will make it quite difficult to lock up our core players.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 07:49 PM
  #8
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Grabovki's line will de demolished in every possible sense of the term if we put it on ice
Grabovski actually played good when he was with real players this year and developed some chemistry with Sergei when they were together, even though they won't be great defensively I don't see why they would get demolished.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 07:50 PM
  #9
Doc Hock
Registered User
 
Doc Hock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
By then Begin will be a UFA and you will be able to sleep at nights

just jokin'

doc hock

Doc Hock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 07:51 PM
  #10
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post
Grabovski actually played good when he was with real players this year and developed some chemistry with Sergei when they were together, even though they won't be great defensively I don't see why they would get demolished.
two words: Chara,Coburn

Big d's will run over them

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 07:54 PM
  #11
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
two words: Chara,Coburn

Big d's will run over them
Good, then Kovalev and Koivu can roam free if Chara and Coburn are being paired up against our third line.

The Kostitsyn's showed they can handle physical play and Sergei will probably add on some weight in the off-season. Also Grabs was a lot stronger when he was recalled later in the year, big D will also find it very difficult to keep up with their speed.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 07:55 PM
  #12
Doc Hock
Registered User
 
Doc Hock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
RIGHT ON!!!

ets talk hockey not horror movies, and pizza and lve tunes

As far as the 3 boys from Belarus go...guys like Chara will already have their hands full with the first 2 lines...this third line lne causes chaos due to their speed and chemistry

doc hock

Doc Hock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 08:03 PM
  #13
transitguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
Forget about signing Euro's, Yanks, and French guys from Quebec. Just sign some UFA that come from Western Canada.

transitguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 08:07 PM
  #14
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by transitguy View Post
Forget about signing Euro's, Yanks, and French guys from Quebec. Just sign some UFA that come from Western Canada.
Just throwing this out there... but have you watched the Stanley Cup finals?

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Holmstrom, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Filpulla... all European and "Yanks" and have been pretty big parts in helping Detroit dominate. Sorry Don Cherry.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 08:09 AM
  #15
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I think people may be going overboard with the whole 3 scoring lines bit. Let's not forget Anaheim won a cup with a strong checking line. It's just a matter of having quality players on that third line.

If we keep with the 2 UFA bit, and try to keep the budget a little lower, something like this might be doable:

S. Kostitsyn - Koivu - Hossa/Rolston/Jagr
A. Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev
Higgins - Kelly - Kostopoulos
Lapierre - Chipchura - Latendresse

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 08:30 AM
  #16
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Here's to Chipper developing into a shutdown center. We really need a top defensive guy who can take important faceoffs and shutdown other players. Someone like Madden/Pahlsson.

I really felt going into the deadline this year it's what we needed. Fedorov would have been great since he can also play good offense (still).

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 08:37 AM
  #17
Boulette Cannon
Registered User
 
Boulette Cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
A.Kost - Plekanec - Kovalev
Rolston - Koivu - Latendresse
Higgins - Chipchura - S.Kost
Bégin - Lapierre - Kostopoulos

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 08:59 AM
  #18
Doc Hock
Registered User
 
Doc Hock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
nice to talk hockey....again



doc hock

Doc Hock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 09:24 AM
  #19
Melvin Udall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hock View Post
After reflcting on what the team wasmissing I guess it comes own to a cople of UFA's and more of yhe same. The other big changeis too finally have the firepower to have 3 offensive/scoring lines backed up by a killer smack in the mouth 4th line.



So Bob & Co. you are oly 2 players away from the cup and of course you know that ocHock


As a lifelong Habs fan I would lie to think you are right.
But, looking at how the current playoffs are unfolding, I think the Habs are much further away from being true Cup contenders than you may think!

Consider that it took the Habs a full 7 games to beat Boston
Philly took the Habs 4-1
Pittsburg took pHILLY 4-1
Now Detroit is having no problems with Pittsburg at all!

I could be wrong (and I hope I am) but, at least to me, the Canadiens are much more than 2 players away from the Cup.

If the Habs had Crosby and Malkin on their current roster I don't think they would be true Cup contenders right now!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 09:45 AM
  #20
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post
[/B]

As a lifelong Habs fan I would lie to think you are right.
But, looking at how the current playoffs are unfolding, I think the Habs are much further away from being true Cup contenders than you may think!

Consider that it took the Habs a full 7 games to beat Boston
Philly took the Habs 4-1
Pittsburg took pHILLY 4-1
Now Detroit is having no problems with Pittsburg at all!

I could be wrong (and I hope I am) but, at least to me, the Canadiens are much more than 2 players away from the Cup.

If the Habs had Crosby and Malkin on their current roster I don't think they would be true Cup contenders right now!
If the Habs had Crosby and Malkin on their roster this year they would've been in the finals and Pittsburgh would not have been in the playoffs... wouldn't that make Montreal a "cup contender"?

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 09:47 AM
  #21
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
I dont think you know but, beside Gorges who was Captain at Kelowna, Richard who scored 5 goals against Toronto the same game an was claimed 3 stars of the game, I recently heard that Chipchura was captain with Prince Albert Raider... Did you know that?

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 10:19 AM
  #22
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
These magical UFAs won't fall out of trees like ripe fruit, and even if they did I'm not sure they'd be nearly enough. The addition of Grabovski would weaken the Habs IMO. Several veteran players have reached the stage where they won't improve and will be on the downgrade. In short, there is no quick fix for the Habs and the rebuilding process will have to continue for a few years.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 10:33 AM
  #23
Bronn
Registered Sellsword
 
Bronn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Highest Bidder
Posts: 10,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Signing Hossa means No more coins to sign Rolston.. sorry to burst your bubble.
Not only Rolston but also all of our 08-09 and 09-10 RFA. Higgins , Plekanec , Komisarek , AK-46 , Latendresse , O'Byrne , Lapierre , Gorges and Grabovski. Yeah we probably won't sign them all but that's still a lot of players to sign if we want to keep our core and some of them will ask for5 a big raise (Komi and Plekanec in particular). If we do want to sign two big UFAs like Rolston and Hossa and keep our core then say goodbye to Koivu and Kovalev next year. I do think we would be a better team with Rolston + Hossa + our core than with Koivu and Kovalev but that's beside the point anyway.

The best scenario would be to sign Rolston or keep the status quo. I don't want Hossa long term @ 8m + per year even if i do think that this is the guy that Bob is going to aggressively go after.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 10:35 AM
  #24
Boulette Cannon
Registered User
 
Boulette Cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
The best scenario would be to sign Rolston or keep the status quo.
I concur.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 11:13 AM
  #25
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
I think people may be going overboard with the whole 3 scoring lines bit. Let's not forget Anaheim won a cup with a strong checking line. It's just a matter of having quality players on that third line.

If we keep with the 2 UFA bit, and try to keep the budget a little lower, something like this might be doable:

S. Kostitsyn - Koivu - Hossa/Rolston/Jagr
A. Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev
Higgins - Kelly - Kostopoulos
Lapierre - Chipchura - Latendresse
Instead of paying ridiculous money for Hossa...maybe you put Lats with Koivu, that adds 10-15 goals to that line. I think he can scorre 30 maybe 35 with a good center like that.

Use the extra money to sign a centrerman like Langkow or Sundin to really give 3 scoring lines.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.