HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Best Possible Line Up

Old
05-27-2008, 06:18 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
If we are able to dipose of Mason, we not resign Ellis? He played better than Kolzig last year, and he'll probably cost less than Kolzig. Plus, Kolzig is on the downside of his career. Washington benched him last year in favor of Huet.

While Rinne seems like a nice prospect, and we should definitely give him a chance... it's not like he's a sure-fire NHL starter in the future. Goaltender prospects rarely pan out as planned.

Also, Kolzig will probably be heavily courted by several other teams.
Here's the thing though: by signing Ellis to a multi-year deal, we're torching our commitment to Rinne in favor of a commitment to Ellis as our goaltender going forward. We're not going to keep both, so if we sign Ellis to a 2-3 year deal, then Rinne is likely on his way out unless we can unload Mason (and that's a longshot). And if we let Ellis walk, Rinne is our guy and then the line of succession starts: Rinne, Mason, Dekanich, Smith (in 2009).

If we unload Mason, we can re-sign Ellis... but if we re-sign Ellis, we give up our commitment to Rinne going forward... and with the organization being so high on Rinne, I doubt we see Ellis in a Predators uniform again.

I'm not so sure there will be much competition for Kolzig. Again, just Dallas, Colorado and maybe Atlanta are alongside us in our search for goaltenders. If Dallas signs Ellis (which I suspect they will), Atlanta trades for Mason (not sure if they could really afford to pay him) and Colorado keeps Theodore (maybe he was hurt in the playoffs... ), we have zero competition for Kolzig and can easily bring him in.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 07:01 AM
TBFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Also, Kolzig will probably be heavily courted by several other teams.
Don't think so. He has not had a good year for a while now. If he is signed, he will be a backup for a team.

TBFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
You and others keep saying things like this as if you are the actual GM of the team. (Aren't you also the one that won't let the "I bet we draft all d-men with our first 4 picks" thing go?) What is the difference if we are paying 3 million to a minor leaguer or buy out his contract as apposed to paying the same player to make the team worse? It's still a waist of money but at least you could be a better team if you bite the bullet and pay the money.

Which way will it go....I don't know....and neither do you so stop acting like it. This is a whole new ownership situation so sitting back and watching without telling everyone what will happen might be a good idea.
Show me where I stated that I know EXACTLY what the team will do. Just like everyone else here, I'm posting what I think will happen.

There isn't a need to get upset because I post what I think. Perhaps you should get some fresh air and re-read before typing replies?

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 09:59 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Here's the thing though: by signing Ellis to a multi-year deal, we're torching our commitment to Rinne in favor of a commitment to Ellis as our goaltender going forward. We're not going to keep both, so if we sign Ellis to a 2-3 year deal, then Rinne is likely on his way out unless we can unload Mason (and that's a longshot). And if we let Ellis walk, Rinne is our guy and then the line of succession starts: Rinne, Mason, Dekanich, Smith (in 2009).

If we unload Mason, we can re-sign Ellis... but if we re-sign Ellis, we give up our commitment to Rinne going forward... and with the organization being so high on Rinne, I doubt we see Ellis in a Predators uniform again.

I'm not so sure there will be much competition for Kolzig. Again, just Dallas, Colorado and maybe Atlanta are alongside us in our search for goaltenders. If Dallas signs Ellis (which I suspect they will), Atlanta trades for Mason (not sure if they could really afford to pay him) and Colorado keeps Theodore (maybe he was hurt in the playoffs... ), we have zero competition for Kolzig and can easily bring him in.
I don't see why signing Ellis is a slap in the face to Rinne. Rinne's played in 1 and 1/2 NHL games. Despite that, he has been given a one-way contract. He most likely will be in the NHL next year. I think that's plenty of opportunity for Rinne from the Predators organization.

I think it would be a huge mistake to put all our eggs in the basket of a goalie who's played 1 and 1/2 NHL games. Goalies rarely come in a play lights out. See Lethonen in Atlanta. See Fluery his first several years in Pittsburgh. Plus, these guys were considered much better prospects that Rinne.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Stranger

I don't think the organization is putting all of their eggs in one basket with Rinne.

Just because he has a one-way contract does not mean that he is penciled in as a starter.

I fully expect that he will on the bench to start and will have an opportunity to get the #1 one spot should Chris Mason falter in front of him.

If we somehow get rid of Mason and bring back Ellis, then I expect the same situation regarding Rinne.

Of course the argument is of course who would give Rinne more time to ease into the position. Unfortunately, we do not have much luxury in deciding that given Chris Mason's contract.

Old
05-28-2008, 12:41 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Dumont Arnott Radulov

If Radulov can become the player we all know he's capable of, this will be the best line you can see on this team.

Erat Legwand (Traded forward to be named later)

The Preds need to make a trade to fill this spot. I could see a Mike Cammalleri trade for a lower level defensive prospect. The guy's is a FA next year and this works well with what the Preds could have planned in 2 years.

Hornqvist Bonk Fiddler

Not the best line in the world, but with a trade, this puts Hornqvist on a 3rd line with scoring punch and some defense. Would I like to improve Bonk in this situation? Yes. But it's not going to kill the Preds here. Another, VERY, unpopular option could be to sign Sean Avery here. He can score, but the crux of this would be how much will his spleen injury effect his price on the FA market. Not many people would like Avery on this team but 15 goals says he's a player.

Philstrom Nichol Tootoo

Hee hee hee, this is going to be one line which everyone in the NHL will hate. Speed, a touch of goal scoring, and checks from hell. Philstrom is going to be the interesting player in all this.

Smithson Peverly Bochenski

My question is can the Preds sign Bochenski to a 2-way contract? if they can he would be a fantastic depth signing.

Weber Suter

This is the best case. Suter and Weber complement each other and are both #1's in the NHl system.

Zidlicky Hamhuis

because of the length of the contract, Zidlicky is not overpaid. Some say he's a luxury, but this team needs offense, period.

Zanon Klein

Devries can be moved, and I see an option where the Preds move him and either Franson or Niskala with a mid level pick to the Kings for Cam. LA gets 2 NHL defensemen and a pick and the Preds gets their 2nd line scorer.

Koistinen Niskala/Franson

The KK boys say with Nashville, not the best case for Koistinen but he's on an NHL team.

Mason
Rinne

When Zids was having his one bad year everyone including me were saying trade his butt to anywhere for a bag of sticks. Mason is in the same situation and everyone is saying he's average.....but what is he has a good year this year teaming with Rinne? Simply put, if Poile is sticking with him, which I think he is, then I will too.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 08:24 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Show me where I stated that I know EXACTLY what the team will do. Just like everyone else here, I'm posting what I think will happen.

There isn't a need to get upset because I post what I think. Perhaps you should get some fresh air and re-read before typing replies?
Nope don't need fresh air and I'm not upset. Through 3 or 4 posts you have made it clear that the ownership won't do anything to relieve some of the pressure on Poile coming from a couple of crappy contract situations. I just don't know how some(it's not just you) can sit there and tell us all that speculating is worthless because they know the ownership isn't going to do anything that involves spending money.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Nope don't need fresh air and I'm not upset. Through 3 or 4 posts you have made it clear that the ownership won't do anything to relieve some of the pressure on Poile coming from a couple of crappy contract situations. I just don't know how some(it's not just you) can sit there and tell us all that speculating is worthless because they know the ownership isn't going to do anything that involves spending money.
I never said the organization will refuse to spend money. What I am saying is that our organization cannot afford to have a $3 million minor leaguer or to buyout a player with a contract like that.

I expect them to pay players to play, but not with the situations above.

There is a difference of course.

Old
05-29-2008, 07:32 AM
TBFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I never said the organization will refuse to spend money. What I am saying is that our organization cannot afford to have a $3 million minor leaguer or to buyout a player with a contract like that.

I expect them to pay players to play, but not with the situations above.

There is a difference of course.
First of all, he will not go to the minors. He would have to clear waviers and re-entry waviers(if he is recalled) and for $1.5 million on re-entry wavier for a former #1 goalie, that would be a bargain and you get nothing for him. There will be a trade market for Mason it is not like he is washed up with a big contract. My feeling is that they will let Ellis walk and you will have Rinne and Mason fighting for the #1 job. Ellis was great this year, but this was his first year and you really can't give him the big money right yet.

TBFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFan View Post
First of all, he will not go to the minors. He would have to clear waviers and re-entry waviers(if he is recalled) and for $1.5 million on re-entry wavier for a former #1 goalie, that would be a bargain and you get nothing for him.
When exactly was Mason a "#1 goalie"?

Quote:
There will be a trade market for Mason it is not like he is washed up with a big contract.
Just like there was a trade market for Dan Cloutier and Ilya Bryzgalov?

Quote:
My feeling is that they will let Ellis walk and you will have Rinne and Mason fighting for the #1 job.
Agreed.

Quote:
Ellis was great this year, but this was his first year and you really can't give him the big money right yet.
Someone might and it's a risky move of course. It's very similar to our Chris Mason situation really.

Old
05-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

The Canucks traded Cloutier for a 2nd and 3rd round pick coming off an almost entire-season ending injury (and pathetic play before that).

05-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Should we pursue Blake Wheeler???? He becomes a free agent soon. 22 year old big kid. It sucks we dropped a spot in the 2nd round, because he won't sign with Phoenix, but he could be a productive addition.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Should we pursue Blake Wheeler???? He becomes a free agent soon. 22 year old big kid. It sucks we dropped a spot in the 2nd round, because he won't sign with Phoenix, but he could be a productive addition.
The answer is yes . However, unless his agent calls us, its not going to happen (sadly).

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
I would assume most NHL franchises will be making phone calls to Wheeler's agent...you'd be stupid not to. Phoenix spent all sorts of time and money allowing him to develop and now he screws them over royally and is going to basically be able to pick his team. Remember, he doesn't have much wiggle room...he is bound by the entry level contract for his draft year as a max...therefore, teams know the asking price and if you see him in the NHL lineup as soon as next season...you make the call. If you're either not willing to spend the money or can't see him fitting into your 2008-09 lineup...then you're going to pass.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote