HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators 2008 draft thread

Old
05-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
i would..... but NYI would not.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=519424

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 02:58 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
That's one guys opioion. I highly doubt the Isles would seriously do that. Suter's value is good but not that good. Hunter is a decent player who has decent offensive skills and has shown a nose for the net in the past He had a 27 goal season before the lockout. He hasnt duplicated those numbers but he has been playing with dismal linemates since that season. As far as the pick goes there is about 4 differnt D men the isles could take in the 5 spot that projects to be at LEAST as good as Suter.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Its really not that bad of value b/c the no. 5 pick is worth a lot, BUT....I would still rather hang on to Suter if possible. He is finally starting to 'get' it.

05-26-2008, 03:37 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Its really not that bad of value b/c the no. 5 pick is worth a lot, BUT....I would still rather hang on to Suter if possible. He is finally starting to 'get' it.
While I agree, I think the opportunity to draft Schenn (which would somewhat offset the loss of Suter and give us the physical defenseman we need) or Filatov (*salivates over prospect of drafting Filatov AND Boedker*) is hard to ignore. Plus we get Hunter who would provide us with a strong third line presence, if nothing else. I think he's another one of those Hartnell-type guys that every team needs. If Snow came to me with that offer, I would have a very hard time looking the other way.

If they offered to take some spare parts off our hands (particularly De Vries and/or Ortmeyer) in addition to that, I'd pull the trigger without hesitation.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 03:56 PM
dulzhok

Having two first round picks is nice.

But, I'm more concerend as to how we are ever going to win a playoff series. Do we wait 4+ years, and hope one of these picks from the 2008 draft puts us over the top? Or, do we use these assests (among others) to peddle some players right now that better our roster? I vote for the later.

Bring in Jokinen.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
While I agree, I think the opportunity to draft Schenn (which would somewhat offset the loss of Suter and give us the physical defenseman we need) or Filatov (*salivates over prospect of drafting Filatov AND Boedker*) is hard to ignore. Plus we get Hunter who would provide us with a strong third line presence, if nothing else. I think he's another one of those Hartnell-type guys that every team needs. If Snow came to me with that offer, I would have a very hard time looking the other way.

If they offered to take some spare parts off our hands (particularly De Vries and/or Ortmeyer) in addition to that, I'd pull the trigger without hesitation.
I think if you do get the 5th pick, you might go defenseman to replace what you trade away (as you say).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post

But, I'm more concerend as to how we are ever going to win a playoff series. Do we wait 4+ years, and hope one of these picks from the 2008 draft puts us over the top? Or, do we use these assests (among others) to peddle some players right now that better our roster? I vote for the later.

Bring in Jokinen.
This is my concern as well. If we trade Suter for draft picks, we are weakening our blueline. With the large contracts we have handed out, we should be trying to win now. If this isn't purely for salary means, then we are making the wrong decision.

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 02:26 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:

Bring in Jokinen.
Jokinen will still be available at the start of the second round, so we can just grab him then, can't we?

But that's an interesting idea. And when he leaves because we can't pay him and we still haven't won a Cup, it will have been a waste of draft picks that could have been used to pick up a player of similar skill who would be around for a good 5-7 years.. Toronto made a bad habit of that.

Great teams build through the draft. Detroit has been able to maintain a strong winning history and still draft well. That's the team we need to emulate if we want to be a successful franchise from an on-ice perspective, which could in turn lead to off-ice success as well (folks around here love a winner).

Our best bet is to keep the picks we have, get some talented young guys in a strong draft class and let the guys we have grow. We really don't have much of a chance at the Cup this year, and next year's FA crop looks to be pretty solid. I say we look at what we have this year, see if some of our younger guys are NHL material and if not, we explore free agency next year with an open checkbook to fill the holes we need to fill.

09/10 is the year we REALLY start pushing for the Cup, or at least a deep playoff run.

Plus we'd be scraping up against the cap if we signed Weber and Suter for sensible deals and then brought in a guy like Jokinen. We woudln't have any room to make moves at the deadline should we need to.

Old
05-27-2008, 07:35 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Would any of you trade Suter for Trent Hunter + NYI's 1st round draft pick ?
As an Islanders fan I can say that this deal would be counterproductive to what Snow and co. have been advertising as the "plan" of late.

I doubt in fact, that the Isles would entertain thoughts of our #5 for Suter straight up. As another poster here mentioned, it is conceivable that a Dman taken at five will be better than Suter at some point, and seeing as how the Isles aren't on the brink of success and simply needing a player of Suter's quality to make the leap, I don't think Poile would have an audience.

As for Hunter, a tall man not blessed with good skating skills (looks God awful out there sometimes), it's been a long while since the Islanders had a player with such heart and fire. The man simply checks everything in site and is defensively conscious. In addition, he does have very natural offensive instincts. His 12-29-41 this season could have easily been 20-40-60, if some linemates of higher offensive quality could have been on the Island and playing with him. He simply finds open players or gets shots on net. He keeps the game simple and also knows how to excellently position himself to ward off attackers. He's a poor man's Andreychuk. The Islanders signed him to a 5 year contract for very good reason! Islanders fans love him too.... just that quiet underdog who doesn't let you down, ever. In fact, if voted upon, he'd probably win the award for "Most consistent and dependable effort" every season, if there was one.

I had started another thread asking about whether Nashville would be interested in the #5 pick in addition to several RFAs with very good potential and NHL-readiness in exchange for the #9 and 15. Astoundingly, not a soul has answered to it, which must mean that this board is VERY happy with keeping those two picks.

As much as I'm still holding out hope that the #5 will still provide a player of franchise-cornerstone quality (or at least of key building stone quality) I think you guys are definitely in a fascinating position. That number 9 should still yield you a Hodgson, Boedker or Wilson and who knows, perhaps a Dman with 15 like Myers, Del Zotto or Sbisa might turn out to be as good as many who were drafted in the top 7 in the previous few drafts.

The 31st should turn out to be a mighty player too. Looks like Nashville is keyed to be one of the big winners in this draft.

Of course, LA has the 2nd and a total of 15 picks(!!!), so they might just have the heads up in this draft

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Bring in Jokinen.
Source stating that he is available?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 08:45 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Source stating that he is available?
He had a meeting with Martin earlier this year and they were supposed to discuss him waiving his NTC. Apparently JM couldn't find a buyer at the price he wanted or Jokinen wants to stay in Florida.

Old
05-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

I think you guys get lucky and nab Filatov with one of your picks

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 09:37 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
I think you guys get lucky and nab Filatov with one of your picks
How is that luck? There's no guarantee he'll ever play here.

Old
05-27-2008, 10:28 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Plus we'd be scraping up against the cap if we signed Weber and Suter for sensible deals and then brought in a guy like Jokinen. We woudln't have any room to make moves at the deadline should we need to.
We would most definitely be having to trade at least one of our high dollar players (i.e. Suter+) for Jokinen. So, the salary difference is minimal.

In the new NHL, "building through the draft" is becoming less and less sensible. In the old NHL, you held on to the players rights until they were 31. Now, the UFA age is around 26. In the old NHL, there was little risk of the RFA offer sheet. Now, teams are almost expecting them for their 22 year old RFAs if they don't pony up big money.

Yes, you can point to Detroit and say they got a lot of their players through the draft. But, go one year back to Anaheim. Almost everyone of their core players (Pronger, Niedermayer, Giguere, Selanee, Beachemin, etc) were not acquired through the draft.

I'm not saying the draft is worthless. But, it is worth less than it was 5 years ago.

In the new NHL, it comes to shrewd asset management. Detroit has a lot of draft picks on their team. But drafting them is only the first part. Holland is amazing at signing them to reasonable (and below reasonable) contracts. They signed Zetterberg to a ridiculously low contract. They sign Datsuk for 7 years at a good price. They lock up so many guys at nice prices (Holmstrom, Osgood, etc). Players are anxious to sign with them, even at below marketing pric

Meanwhile in Buffalo… Drury and Brierre leave town. They are forced into overpaying Vanek due to an offer sheet. ETC

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
He had a meeting with Martin earlier this year and they were supposed to discuss him waiving his NTC. Apparently JM couldn't find a buyer at the price he wanted or Jokinen wants to stay in Florida.
Again, source other then a Canadian journalist hoping for such a case?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 03:27 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Again, source other then a Canadian journalist hoping for such a case?
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...s-jacques.html

Martin and Jokinen can't stand each other. Cohen had to make a choice between Martin and Jokinen. Martin is still GM and still wants Jokinen off the roster.

Old
06-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
On XM 204 - Home Ice, Kyle Woodlief of the Red Line Report just picked center Colin Wilson (NCAA - Boston University) at #9 and my to my surprise and dismay, goaltender Chet Pickard (WHL - Tri-City Americans) at #15. Pickard is a great goalie and I think he'll be better than Carey Price in the next few years, but we have Pekka Rinne stepping into Nashville this season, Mark Dekanich graduating from college into Milwaukee next season, and we drafted Jeremy Smith last year. Yet, Woodlief said that we have nothing in our goaltending cupboard and would admittedly really reach to take Pickard with this pick.

I strongly disagree with the Pickard pick unless we traded down a few spots, but guys like Kyle Beach, Greg Nemisz, Jordan Eberle, and Anton Gustafsson were still on the board at forward and Del Zotto, Sbisa, and Robak at defense. I really want to stock our cupboards with impact players with our first round picks and would be very open to trading down in the first round if we don't have an impact player available at 15. Beach would be my pick here despite all his problems. Combined with Wilson at No. 9 it would be a great move to immediately address our lack of size in the organization.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Wow - there is probably about a 0.0000000000001% chance we pick Pickard at 15 if Beach, Del Zotto, and Sbisa are on the board. Woodlief probably just saw that we had a tough goalie situation last year, and he slotted Pickard in there because he loves the guy and knows a goalie will probably go in the 1st round.

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:55 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
If you are going to actually try and do a mock draft wouldn't you want to somewhat research what the team needs are? I mean at least a little bit for the first round anyway?

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

maybe that's the reason why Woodlief is no longer employed by any team in general and is doing his own "stuff" throwing darts against the wall

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:47 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
On XM 204 - Home Ice, Kyle Woodlief of the Red Line Report just picked center Colin Wilson (NCAA - Boston University) at #9 and my to my surprise and dismay, goaltender Chet Pickard (WHL - Tri-City Americans) at #15. Pickard is a great goalie and I think he'll be better than Carey Price in the next few years, but we have Pekka Rinne stepping into Nashville this season, Mark Dekanich graduating from college into Milwaukee next season, and we drafted Jeremy Smith last year. Yet, Woodlief said that we have nothing in our goaltending cupboard and would admittedly really reach to take Pickard with this pick.
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Now I remember why I don't have XM.

Old
06-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Wow - there is probably about a 0.0000000000001% chance we pick Pickard at 15 if Beach, Del Zotto, and Sbisa are on the board. Woodlief probably just saw that we had a tough goalie situation last year, and he slotted Pickard in there because he loves the guy and knows a goalie will probably go in the 1st round.
I forgot, Joe Colborne was still available at forward too! I was initially very high on Colborne, but have backed off a bit due to the fact that he is a project forward. He is heading to Denver University next season, but will probably need 3-4 years in college to fill out his frame and develop his total game to match his size. I think eventually whatever team drafts him will be very happy with what they eventually get, but I'm honestly scared off a bit on project players now with the Blake Wheeler situation recently occuring.

I really like Gustafsson too, but think that it would be a pretty big reach to grab him at 15th. I'm thinking more around #20-23 for Anton.

Old
06-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Now I remember why I don't have XM.
I got XM for my birthday at the end of last month and LOVE IT! Don't necessarily listen to the NHL station all the time, but I love the selection of music at my fingertips and especially enjoy listening to baseball games during the day and late at night.

Old
06-09-2008, 11:07 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I really like Gustafsson too, but think that it would be a pretty big reach to grab him at 15th. I'm thinking more around #20-23 for Anton.
Agreed. Gustafsson is gonna be a good player but at that position, he's a bit of a reach.

I'd like to see us grab Josh Bailey at 15th.

Old
06-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Agreed. Gustafsson is gonna be a good player but at that position, he's a bit of a reach.

I'd like to see us grab Josh Bailey at 15th.
Bailey had gone 13th in the mock draft that was being talked about on XM today, otherwise I think Carolina might grab him at 14th...although I too would like to see him fall to us at 15th.

Old
06-10-2008, 06:28 AM
LennyV

Hi guys

Flames fan here with a question about an issue which doesn't seem to have been raised in this thread. I'm wondering about what you're gonna do with your 15 pick since it's two ahead of Calgary. You seem pretty stacked on defensive prospects and most poster here are talking about different forwards that might be available at 15. Is there any possibility that you pick a goalie at 15? Is there any goalie prospects in your ranks after Rinne and might that pick be used on a guy like Picard or Markström? I reckon that one of those guys might still be around at 31 if you were to want a keep but still, what do you think?

Also another question about goalies drafted by the Predators, what happened Teemu Lassila? I know what he's doing these days but he's not interesting to you guys anymore? Was there ever any talks about him coming over to Milwaukee?

LennyV is offline   Reply With Quote