HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

overly general goalie pad ?

Old
05-27-2008, 07:29 PM
raskolnikov

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to raskolnikov
overly general goalie pad ?

I am looking to upgrade my goalie pads. I currently have Supreme's but am looking for something a little more butterfly oriented. I do not have too much access to a store that sells quality pads nor anyone to ask about them...
That said, I was checking out goalie monkey and am interested in the Vaughn 8600 and 3750. Itech Re-flex 5, RBK 6 and Nike Bauer XX. If anyone can help to steer me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it..

raskolnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 07:50 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

I buy Vaughn til the day I die. But that's just me.

Don't buy RBK. My buddy bought a set LAST season, and all the straps are broke and the stiching has came out on the front of the pad.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 12:37 PM
flyersguy33*

I love Vaughn too but if you are looking for quality pads and a little cheaper check out some Simmons gear especially the ultralight series. They just came out with the ultralight 5 set and these pads are very similar to the Vaughn Velocity's which I use and love and are great for butterfly. I have to buy new equipment next year thanks to the stupid ass new rules and I will probably buy a set of the ultralight 5's because they are cheaper and very good quality.

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskolnikov View Post
I am looking to upgrade my goalie pads. I currently have Supreme's but am looking for something a little more butterfly oriented. I do not have too much access to a store that sells quality pads nor anyone to ask about them...
That said, I was checking out goalie monkey and am interested in the Vaughn 8600 and 3750. Itech Re-flex 5, RBK 6 and Nike Bauer XX. If anyone can help to steer me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it..
The Itech and Vaughn 8600 are pretty new, so I'm not sure if anybody can really give a complete review. But the initial reviews of the 8600 have seemed pretty good.

You can probably check out the GoalieStore board for more in depth info: http://www.goaliestore.com/board/equipment-reviews/

I assume you mean the RBK 6k's as opposed to the RBK X-Pulse 6.0. I got the 5k's back in 2005 to use for outdoor use. The pad has held up well (aside from the expected wear on the toes) but I've heard they don't hold up very well with frequent ice use. So kinda depends on what surface/level you're playing at. The reviews I've read about the X-Pulse's have not been favorable.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 01:48 PM
walker33

id have rbks but i have the premier 2's and rbks are th ebest pads and glove and blocker i have ever used i just ask that u dont buy briaaan they are terrible i say go rbk 8k if u cant get the premeire 2's because they'll be little less expensive but do the job just fine

walker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 01:49 PM
raskolnikov

Send a message via AIM to raskolnikov
Thanks for the input so far. There are some pretty nice deals on the Vapor XX's...however, I haven't seen anyone using vapor pads so I'm a bit skeptical. Any input on them?

raskolnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Rickety Cricket

http://www.smithhockey.com/

The guy helped develop the Vaughn Velocities and his pads are pretty cheap but durable

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Eagle20

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskolnikov View Post
Thanks for the input so far. There are some pretty nice deals on the Vapor XX's...however, I haven't seen anyone using vapor pads so I'm a bit skeptical. Any input on them?
Vapor's are very heavy compared to some of the newer pads out there. All senior level pads are going to wear. To be honest check out the Vaughn 7400 series. There the senior version of the V3's, probably one of the best senior pads on the market. The person who suggested Smiths is giving you a very good quality suggestion as well.

Also vapors really aren't a full butterfly pad...there more of a hybrid pad like the Supremes but not as good in my opinion. If you want to go NikeBauer check out the one95's i think there are senior versions of that pad as well but im not sure.

Eagle20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Vader76

www.donsimmons.com

I got the Matrix 1 pads 4 years ago and they are holding up very well. Excellent quality for a excellent price. They also have other models too.

Vader76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 04:05 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
I like the Itechs myself. They just feel right

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote