HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak

Old
05-28-2008, 04:18 PM
habitants9_4

vCash: 500
Halak

What are you guys expecting from him this season??

habitants9_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 04:24 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
uhh...

I hope he has a good vacation? This season is over.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Fido22

Next season, to take over number one duties by December.

Ok, let's hope not. Best I can hope for, and I'm confident he'll deliver, is No.1 caliber goaltending for some 25-30 games.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Zeus54
Trollololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants9_4 View Post
What are you guys expecting from him this season??
Keeping the bench comfortably warm.

That and coming in every now and then and having solid games. I like Halak, I think he's a pretty decent goalie and makes for a great backup.

Zeus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
I expect him to make the team and play well enough to stay in the NHL the whole year. Same for Chipchura.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Iyathurai
Still missing Saku:(

Send a message via MSN to Iyathurai
I expect a goalie controversy to stir up at some point next season between Halak and Price.

Iyathurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Him to be traded on draft day?

I could see Gainey entertaining offers, and looking to sign someone like Hedberg to back up Price.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 05:42 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
For him to be a great back up and not a #1 contender vs price.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 05:52 PM
guest1467

Why is trading Halak such a common notion on this board? Here is a skilled, young back up goalie...and you want to trade him? Why? We would get nothing of substance in return and certainly not worth the value he brings to the team. By trading him our goaltending depth is completely bare. And a healthy competition between Price and Halak next year would be good for both of them.

EDIT: My god, you guys never learn.

Last edited by guest1467: 05-28-2008 at 06:21 PM.
guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 06:18 PM
transitguy

Trade him and pick one of (Latendrese or Lapierre) to Edmonton for Stoll and Torris.

transitguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 06:43 PM
anarmandaleb

I really like Halak, but I feel like he won't get the chance he deserves in Montreal.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Why is trading Halak such a common notion on this board? Here is a skilled, young back up goalie...and you want to trade him? Why? We would get nothing of substance in return and certainly not worth the value he brings to the team. By trading him our goaltending depth is completely bare. And a healthy competition between Price and Halak next year would be good for both of them.

Indeed.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Zeus54
Trollololol

Quote:

Ryder + Halak and a 2nd?

Zeus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:

I'm not saying I want to trade him. The question is what do we expect. After these playoffs, I'm not sure Gainey will want to go into next year with 2 young keepers. He may want a veteran to back up Price. Halak can't be sent down without going through waivers, so if another goalie is to be brought in, Halak has to be on the outs.

Maybe Gainey WILL stick with his young keepers. And I don't mind if he does. But the question is what do I expect, so that's why I answered as I did.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 07:30 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Here is a skilled, young back up goalie...and you want to trade him? Why?
Reel off a list of the skilled, young back up goalies in the NHL....

You know why it's hard to do? Cause if a goaltender is skilled and young, they don't want to be a back up netminder. They want to go somewhere where they have a chance to platoon or start. Any skilled, young goalie that would be content to be back up lacks the fire and spark to play on any team of mine.

As for why the team would trade him, well, that seems obvious, and you outlined it yourself. He's skilled, he's young, and he's not in our starting lineup. Seems like trying to flip that for an asset that can contribute to team is a no-brainer.

Quote:
We would get nothing of substance in return and certainly not worth the value he brings to the team.
Oh really? Seems the last time they team traded a "skilled young back up goaltender" they flipped him for Radek Bonk and Cristobal Huet. All Huet did was represent the team at the All-Star game. You're right. They'd get nothing of substance.

Quote:
trading him our goaltending depth is completely bare. And a healthy competition between Price and Halak next year would be good for both of them.
Our goaltending depth would be bare? You're talking about the back up goaltender. You sign a veteran that can tutor the young Price and provide the team with solid goaltending when Carey is in need of a rest. A guy like Johan Hedberg comes to mind right away. How about Olaf Kolzig? Curtis Joseph? Regardless, what's important for Price and his development is that he starts about 60 games next season. Halak will not be happy starting just 20 games. Nor should he be.

FerrisRox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 07:31 PM
ed ible*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants9_4 View Post
What are you guys expecting from him next season??
I expect him to have excellent rookie numbers, say 30 wins, 30 loses, playing for whatever team Bob can trade him to.

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 08:56 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post

You know why it's hard to do? Cause if a goaltender is skilled and young, they don't want to be a back up netminder. They want to go somewhere where they have a chance to platoon or start. Any skilled, young goalie that would be content to be back up lacks the fire and spark to play on any team of mine.
As for why the team would trade him, well, that seems obvious, and you outlined it yourself. He's skilled, he's young, and he's not in our starting lineup. Seems like trying to flip that for an asset that can contribute to team is a no-brainer.
Oh really? Seems the last time they team traded a "skilled young back up goaltender" they flipped him for Radek Bonk and Cristobal Huet. All Huet did was represent the team at the All-Star game. You're right. They'd get nothing of substance.
Our goaltending depth would be bare? You're talking about the back up goaltender. You sign a veteran that can tutor the young Price and provide the team with solid goaltending when Carey is in need of a rest. A guy like Johan Hedberg comes to mind right away. How about Olaf Kolzig? Curtis Joseph? Regardless, what's important for Price and his development is that he starts about 60 games next season. Halak will not be happy starting just 20 games. Nor should he be.
1) If Halak wants to be number one he has to beat out Price. Halak doesn't get to chose where he plays, unless he goes to Europe. Who is to say that Price and Halak won't share games next year? How do you know Halak won't take the reins. You don't. Why would Gainey trade Halak when he doesn't have to? Halak as the backup is better than some washed up veteran. "OMG Carey needs a veteran to mentor him", what the hell is Rolanson there for?
2) Have you checked the goalie market lately? Obviously not, goalies aren't worth crap. Proven number one goalies are getting traded for draft picks and being sent on waivers. Montoya was traded for Sjostrom. You find me a GM in this league that will give up something substancial for Halak. My main point was, Halak is more valuable to the Montreal Canadiens than what his return would be in a trade. Understand now?
3) Trade Halak and our goaltending is as follows:
Carey Price
Yann Danis(which is very questionable considering he is a UFA)
Cedrick Dejardins
Loic Lacasse
That is crap for depth, absolutely nothing, especially if Danis is gone.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Magic33

Price isnt Luongo or Nabokov ... yet and therefore will not be playing 70 + games this year. Halak will get a chance to show what he can do. I can see him playing 30 ish games next season, give or take a few.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Toro

Quote:
1) If Halak wants to be number one he has to beat out Price. Halak doesn't get to chose where he plays, unless he goes to Europe. Who is to say that Price and Halak won't share games next year? How do you know Halak won't take the reins. You don't. Why would Gainey trade Halak when he doesn't have to? Halak as the backup is better than some washed up veteran. "OMG Carey needs a veteran to mentor him", what the hell is Rolanson there for?
2) Have you checked the goalie market lately? Obviously not, goalies aren't worth crap. Proven number one goalies are getting traded for draft picks and being sent on waivers. Montoya was traded for Sjostrom. You find me a GM in this league that will give up something substancial for Halak. My main point was, Halak is more valuable to the Montreal Canadiens than what his return would be in a trade. Understand now?
3) Trade Halak and our goaltending is as follows:
Carey Price
Yann Danis(which is very questionable considering he is a UFA)
Cedrick Dejardins
Loic Lacasse
That is crap for depth, absolutely nothing, especially if Danis is gone.
Good Post

Yes a veteran goalie could be acquired during the summer, if Halak were traded but that salary will no doubt be much more than halak's.

Doesn't matter if 15/20 games doesn't make halak happy, cause he has no say unless he wants to go to Europe. If he wants more games he will have to earn them like he has done at every level so far.

Personally i would think it stupid to trade Halak until Price is completely settled into the #1 position. Halak is the best option for our #2 position, he is young, good and wants to improve into a #1. Melanson is the mentor Price needs and Halak is the Competition that Price needs.

were good to go in nets.

If Danis doesn't resign a replacement will be signed.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 10:25 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Another Andy Moog. With no playoff time he will demand a trade in 2 years.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 10:30 PM
ari1160

i say goalie controversy for the first half of the season, and both goalie will share the net for the first 40ish games and from there the best will get the starting job for the rest of the year.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 10:39 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari1160 View Post
i say goalie controversy for the first half of the season, and both goalie will share the net for the first 40ish games and from there the best will get the starting job for the rest of the year.
There's no chance Price will be in the NHL if he's not starting close to 60 games. At this stage in his development it's crucial that he see a ton of action.

Gainey and his management crew are too shrewd, too patient, and too smart to take a 20 year old goaltender, stick him in the NHL and not have him play.

Barring a major injury there no chance Price will split games next season. It would be way too detrimental to his development as a pro.

FerrisRox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
Him to be traded on draft day?

I could see Gainey entertaining offers, and looking to sign someone like Hedberg to back up Price.
If Halak plays the best of the two in training camp he deserves to start number one. Plain and simple. Can't keep stroking Prices ego. The Habs need to win, and win in the playoffs, the best goalie plays. I'm not jumping on Prices bandwagon due to his "possible potential". Until he can show us a cup or at least a second round win, then all the hype isn't worth a damn thing.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 12:14 AM
Kriss E

This will be the first season of Price has our true #1, but he's still young. So i don't expect him to play more than 57Games..Giving Halak 25Games..

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 12:38 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post

If Halak has a great training camp, and outshines Price early in the season, then he'll become the starter. Or it will be a #1-a and #1-b type thing like we did with Huet/Price this year. And you won't find too many teams that will take a risk on bringing in Halak to become their #1 . Unless you have a Turco, Luongo, Kipper or Brodeur, you don't really let go of a potentially #1 Goalie prospect, ESPECIALLY not when you're #1 is even younger.

The goalie market sucks, Bryzgalov was sent on waivers. Btw, Huet was completely unknowned and clearly mis-evaluated at the time LA traded him. Bonk was a huge underachiever as well.

The reason why Kolzig is not going back in WSH is because he doesnt want to be the back up of Huet, so what makes you think he'd want to play back up to Price here?..
Did you actually say...CUJO?..

Halak is young and it'll be the first time he's pretty much guaranteed a roster spot. If he's not happy then he's got an ego trip.

We've seen great hockey tandems over the last years, its very common..Fernandez/Roloson..Bryzgalov/Giguere..Miller/Biron..Nabokov/Toskala..etc..
Price/Halak might just be the next one.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote