HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Stanley Cup Finals - Wings vs Pens Discussion

Old
05-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
If the first two games turn out to be an accurate barometer of the series, the Rangers are a whole lot further away from being a Cup contender than a lot of us previously thought. The Penguins throttled the Rangers and now they are being manhandled.

The problem Pittsburgh is having is that they have almost no time to think when they have the puck because Detroit is on them in nanoseconds, disrupting their every step. Detroit is suffocating them, getting them to turn the puck over and flying up ice in a flash.

For those here that have screamed for North-South and spewed venom against the non-North American game, here's proof that talent, whether it be North-South or East-West is the most important thing.

Would I love to have some of the "soft" Detroit Europeans on the Rangers.

On a side note, I know there are a lot of you that want Malone (I was on the fence), but no way I want him now. He seems like an idiot who plays without any self-control and his talent level doesn't appear all that high either. I think he benefits from being surrounded by greatness that makes him look better than he really is. Geez, even Dupuis looks like an offensive weapon on this team.
I think Malone was just trying to get his team into the game somehow. If you ask me, he was the only one showing any sort of determination out there for most of the game.

I don't think anyone considers Detroit a "soft" team. While they don't do a whole lot of fighting, they do all of the other things a tough team does. They throw HUGE hits, they park themselves in front of the net, they win battles in corners. They all play big. Even the little guys play big.

Our little guys don't play big, and our big guys play small. Malik and Backman are big guys, but don't use the body. Shannahan is big, but can't get up the speed to lay out anyone anymore. Callahan is the only guy that really plays bigger than he is.

Detroit simply did an amazing job building that team. They haven't had a top 10 draft pick in at least a decade and they still put out a top team year after year. We spent too many years drafting speedy little guys or the biggest guy we could find (Jessiman) and we don't have the pieces to be Detroit right now.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 11:02 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'm just really astonished at how badly they lose as a team. I mean not so much the score, but the way that they handle themselves as a team towards the end of an imminent loss and after the game as well. I knew they were immature, but I didn't think it was that prominent throughout the organization.

Mario has got to be pretty embarrassed by his teams antics. Therrien's antics included.

Have to agree here, look what they were like when we beat them in game 4. Sid lost the plot going after Girardi for a clean hit, Malkin slew footed Mara twice now look what they are like against the Wings.

As for Therrien i really cant stand him, he is such a sore loser its always everybody else's fault. the guy is being outcoached and his team is being outplayed cant he show any decency and be honest with himself. he has one of those sad looking faces where he thinks everyone is out to get him, its pathetic

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 11:30 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
As for Therrien i really cant stand him, he is such a sore loser its always everybody else's fault. the guy is being outcoached and his team is being outplayed cant he show any decency and be honest with himself. he has one of those sad looking faces where he thinks everyone is out to get him, its pathetic
I agree with you

Therrien is mediocre coach in my opinion. Any good rep he has come from his elite players playing like elite players, and his team acquiring chemistry over the last two years.

Now when his team is facing adversatity, except trying to think up strategies to counteract the Detroit dominance, he is whining about the refs. BREAKING NEWS: Your team has been outscored 7-0, and just about all of those goals haven't come on the PP.

His attitude is terrible and he's going to have to change it for his team to have any chance

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Fletch

I agree Chosen...

and considering the Rangers may have to take a step back to move forward, they're even further off.

But this series is showing a bit what playoff experience can do to a team. It is odd for me to think of guys like Zetterberg and Datsyuk being experienced since it seems like yesterday they were up-and-comers, but the last four years have gone by fast. Add guys like Lidstrom (who's now 39!), Rafalski and others, inlcuding support guys like Draper, Homstrom and Samuelsson, and you have an aging team that's showing the kids how it's done.

Didn't mean to leave out Osgood, who's name has been once again transformed from Osbad.

This series isn't over yet - PITT will come out strong against Detroit at home and PITT will score a goal eventually, but so far, it's been the old men teaching a lesson to the kids.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 01:13 PM
beastly115

This is the best Pitts will be for the next 5 years. Once their younger players start getting their paydays, they won't be able to field a team with this much talent for a long time. We've got 3 players at 7M and we're scrunched for cap space. Wait till Malkin gets his 9M, Staal gets 6M and Fleury gets 5M. They'll feel the burn like the rest of us do.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 01:21 PM
cmccallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangernick23 View Post
I want Brad Stuart.
Think he'd fit in NY? Who would they pair em with? be a top 2 d-man in NY. Holland most likely with lock em up to stay in Detroit, maybe with a lil home-town discount as well. I'm think he'll ask 3.5-4.2mill a year. They have asked Brad about if he'd be willing to move from L.A. here...so it's a possiblity. They have some ufa's in Howard ( next in line for Ozzie in Grand Rapids or Larsson whoever does better in camp ). Fippula is also a ufa , chelios etc...

cmccallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I watched both games... and Detroit is just amazing... plain and simple. It's just a matter of them being the best team in the league... and by quite some margin. Total domination in the last two games. Penguins had all the momentum in the world going into that series 12-2, and Detroit somehow were able to turn all of that in their favor by the second period of the first game. That's not easy

Crosby seems to be the only one getting anything going. And even then, Lidstrom is canceling out a lot of his opportunities.

(By the way, I was having a hell of a time watching Crosby and Therrien complaining about diving calls )
I find this statement to be confusing.

Detroit didn't impress me much when my Hawks were smacking them around the ice this year. We were 5-3 vs them. Makes me wonder how well the Hawks would have done in the East!

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 04:02 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I find this statement to be confusing.

Detroit didn't impress me much when my Hawks were smacking them around the ice this year. We were 5-3 vs them. Makes me wonder how well the Hawks would have done in the East!

you seem to mention this 5-3 in every post you comment on about Detroit, how are they not the best team in the league? they won the Presidents Trophy and are in the Stanley Cup Final with a 2-0 lead.

If the Hawks were that good why arent they in the playoffs? i have no doubt they will be next year but just because you lead a season series against a team it dont really mean jack. the Rangers lead the season series against Pittsburgh but still lost to them come playoff time.

Detroit are in my opinion the best team in the league no doubt about.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 04:13 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
If the first two games turn out to be an accurate barometer of the series, the Rangers are a whole lot further away from being a Cup contender than a lot of us previously thought. The Penguins throttled the Rangers and now they are being manhandled.
I'm not sure if they throttled us. Every game was close for the most part except Game 3, and even that was a tie game until Hollweg took his stupid penalty. In terms of the series, yeah we never really had much of a chance after the first two games, but I think we played it pretty close. The Wings are just destroying the Penguins and it hasn't even been close.

I do agree though with the poster who said that we're further from the cup than we thought watching this series..it's clear we're not in the same class as the Wings, but you can pretty much say that for every team in the league right now. I have to say it's pretty fun to watch (mostly since they are in a different conference).

And I also agree about the way the Pens lose..it's a terrible way to handle themselves, it's very immature and it really lacks sportsmanship. I'm not gonna throw the infamous "class" word out there, but that team clearly needs to show a little something when they lose. It's gonna happen a good amount to them and they better get used to it. We saw it against the Rangers, we saw it against the Flyers and now they're doing it against the Wings. Wonder how they're going to act in the final minutes if and when the Wings win the cup.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 04:25 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
This is the best Pitts will be for the next 5 years. Once their younger players start getting their paydays, they won't be able to field a team with this much talent for a long time. We've got 3 players at 7M and we're scrunched for cap space. Wait till Malkin gets his 9M, Staal gets 6M and Fleury gets 5M. They'll feel the burn like the rest of us do.
I don't know for sure, but from what I remember the Pens won't have any cap troubles for the next two or three years.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 04:34 PM
eco's bones

All I do is check the score. Truthfully I thought a western team was going to win it this year anyway. The Penguins have gotten away with a lot to get to where they are now. Now they think they're getting jobbed. Too bad.It's a learning experience for them and it possibly will make them a stronger team though I don't think they'll be able to hold all the pieces together (especially regarding Hossa, Orpik, Malone) over the summer.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 08:12 PM
beastly115

MT doing the only thing he knows how to try to keep the Pens alive.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=519863

Old
05-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus the destroyer View Post
Think he'd fit in NY? Who would they pair em with? be a top 2 d-man in NY. Holland most likely with lock em up to stay in Detroit, maybe with a lil home-town discount as well. I'm think he'll ask 3.5-4.2mill a year. They have asked Brad about if he'd be willing to move from L.A. here...so it's a possiblity. They have some ufa's in Howard ( next in line for Ozzie in Grand Rapids or Larsson whoever does better in camp ). Fippula is also a ufa , chelios etc...
I'd give him that salary. He's been an absolute beast in the playoffs.

Old
05-28-2008, 09:33 PM
King Henrik

That's playoff hockey.

What a 3rd period. Defense amazing, hard hits, no whistles.. that's how it's played.

King Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 09:38 PM
tlallstar6

vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to tlallstar6
yeah, im hoping for a detroit comeback...overtime would be intense.

tlallstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 09:41 PM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

And for those who think that we'd be overpaying for Orpik if we threw between 3.5 and 4 million at him, he had more hits during that one shift in the middle of the 3rd period than most Rangers defensemen in any one game this season. This has been a blast to watch!

Detroit going on the PP. It'd be nice to see Holmstrom get one after the non-interference call on Gill from a few minutes ago. Hockey has a funny way of working out that way.

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 09:45 PM
blandBob

I don't think Detroit really hit their stride tonight. But credit goes to the Pens, partisanship and the fact I don't want them to win aside. They have adjusted well, but something still tells me the real Red Wings weren't on display tonight.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 09:51 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Fantastic game to watch, Franzen played extremely well

05-28-2008, 09:53 PM
blandBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortUWary View Post
And for those who think that we'd be overpaying for Orpik if we threw between 3.5 and 4 million at him, he had more hits during that one shift in the middle of the 3rd period than most Rangers defensemen in any one game this season. This has been a blast to watch!
That's the point I keep making. No one player is going to make NYR a cup contender, but when you think about it, hockey should be entertaining. I did not see enough of it with the Rangers last season, especially on defence. Think how much more fun it would be with a bone-crusher like him on the blueline. I;ve always liked being entertained by my team, I like seeing big hits and upheaval. I think getting back to basics is what is needed, and it's not like Orpik's physicality is a liability - he doesn't forget about positional play. Rather him than Campbell any day.

Old
05-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Good game. Wings couldn't get their act together till the 3rd, but I think they may have been a bit shocked by Mellon Arena. That place is just flat out loud.

I think its incredible that Pens fans are still complaining about the refereeing. Especially after the refs missed that high stick on Lidstrom by Staal (missed 4 minute call? sounds familiar eh?) and the obvious interference by Gill on Holmstrom.

I have a feeling Detroit will come out flying in game 4 and take the series back to Detroit 3-1.

Old
05-28-2008, 10:07 PM
NYReign

Adam Hall gets the game winner??? Never saw that coming...

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 10:08 PM
blandBob

I don't think there is anything here that Detroit cannot fix. They just looked about as bad as they can be, which is actually pretty good because their worst is pretty good, cause they're so good...i'm getting confused...you know what I mean

I think they will assert themselves next game.

Old
05-28-2008, 10:35 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueMahone View Post
That's the point I keep making. No one player is going to make NYR a cup contender, but when you think about it, hockey should be entertaining. I did not see enough of it with the Rangers last season, especially on defence. Think how much more fun it would be with a bone-crusher like him on the blueline. I;ve always liked being entertained by my team, I like seeing big hits and upheaval. I think getting back to basics is what is needed, and it's not like Orpik's physicality is a liability - he doesn't forget about positional play. Rather him than Campbell any day.
That's why Avery is one of my favorite players on the team. Even if the team isn't playing well, Avery usually does something to keep me entertained.

Old
05-28-2008, 11:06 PM
The Thomas J.*

The series is really good thus far, I like how Pitt played desperate tonight, no matter what was said pior to game time this was an absoulete must game for them, they had to win. The Wings were a little out played tonight, had spurts of matching intesnity, but I did not expect a sweep, hope they get the split.

Orpik & Gill have been the diffrence in the playoffs this year, two type of players we need.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 11:15 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

IMO Gill has been terrible this series. His only counter for Holstrom is to dig him into the ice from behind, which (who knew?) is a penalty. I do agree about Orpik however, we need a guy like that.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote