HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Thoughts on three penalty rule

Old
05-25-2008, 09:58 AM
MaKi
Marschak's #1 Fan

vCash: 500
I play in a beer league that uses the rule too.
I never had to worry about the rule until last game though.
We were missing some players and I had to play defense which I hadn't done in a good 5-6 years.
The first penalty I got was for hooking, the guy was in the slot about to take a wrist shot and I put my stick over his and stopped him.
The next penalty I got was just for roughing while fightiing for the puck along the boards, I was just going for the puck but as I came away with the puck the other guy fell and the ref thought it was a penalty.
And this was all in the first 5 minutes of the game, so now I'm in a tough spot because we're playing with only 3 Dmen and 5 forwards so if I get tossed it leaves us pretty thin.
I managed to catch up to a guy and stop a break away later in the game without getting a penalty and I survived a guy on the other team trying to get me kicked out.
Every time I would carry the puck up on a rush he would either slash or cross-check me because he knew I only had one strike left.
So anyways the ref called him once in the second period on a cross check and then in the third period when we were down 6-1 I dumped the puck in and was going behind their net to get it when the same guy reaches his arm out and clothes lines me instead of going for the puck.
Needless to say I fell, and while the guy is complaining to the ref that I dove I go and pick up the puck and pass it to the point.
To add to the excitement I decided to go to the front of the net where the guy was standing and screen the goalie.
So he gives me a cross-check in the back, so I start egging him on and by the end of the play he ended up getting 2 penalties on the play and kicked out of the game.
We scored twice on those penalties and added to more to make it 6-5 before our goalie gave the game away.

All that to say that sometimes the 3 penalty rules works in your favor = )

MaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 08:19 AM
ace111

I set up a fun rec league for the summer and I did it with the 3 penalty rule. Just want to go out and have fun. But with hockey sometimes tempers flare and stuff happens. But what we did to try to minimize it is after 3 "team" penalties each penalty after is a penalty shot. Seems to work pretty well. Haven't gotten to three penalties for any team yet.

ace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 09:16 AM
mayoradamwest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
I was wondering who here plays with the three penalty and you are ejected from the game rule.

Whats your thoughts on it?

Personally, I think it is stupid. Sometimes the referees are absolutely atrocious and two of the three penalties you get were absolute ******** calls.

I don't like it at all, I know the league is called "Adult Safe", but it is still hockey, the three penalty rule is bush league.

If the NHL had this rule, I would stop watching hockey all together.
i like it better as three stick infractions, so it gives the ref some leeway.

mayoradamwest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 10:12 AM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

my league has a 5 penalty rule with you getting kicked from the game, than you are given a 1 game suspension, if you do it again in the same season your suspension will double.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 07:42 AM
BrentZ10

I like it. Beer League is meant to be a good time, not the Stanley Cup Finals. Plus, in any other league if you pick up 3 penalties in a short period of time your coach is probably going to sit your ass down on the bench regardless.

BrentZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 09:01 AM
IbexHockey

3 penalties is too few

My league is 4 penalties, which I find is perfect. But we still get a ton of guys complaining about it. Those are the guys that don't understand Men's League Hockey and the bottom line is that.....some guys will never get it.

The rule is there to protect the league from the guys who just don't get it. If there is the possibility of getting kicked out for two many penalties, then maybe that one ****** will think before he two hands you across the wrists.

I'm a computer geek and need my wrists working the next day.

IbexHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Hugh Madbrough

My league is also 4 penalties and your gone which I think is good. If the rules weren't in place a lot of games would get out of hand. Sadly you need rules like this because there are too many "Game 7" morons in just about every league.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote