HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT- Finally finished with Grad School.

Old
05-28-2008, 06:53 PM
blue425

vCash: 500
OT- Finally finished with Grad School.

Just like the topic says. If getting a Masters has taught me anything it is this: Do your assignments on time even if the professor says you have up to a year to hand it in.

Trust me.

Last edited by blue425: 05-28-2008 at 06:59 PM.
blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 07:57 PM
SickNice

Congrats. What and where did you study?

SickNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 08:07 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

congrats man thats a great accomplishment!

now it's time for the real world...

05-28-2008, 08:44 PM
BlueBlooded

Send a message via AIM to BlueBlooded
I'm just starting Grad School in the fall. It's good advice but I have to ask: What happened that you felt the need to share it? This sounds like it has all the makings of a good story to me.

BlueBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 08:49 PM
tlallstar6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlooded View Post
I'm just starting Grad School in the fall. It's good advice but I have to ask: What happened that you felt the need to share it? This sounds like it has all the makings of a good story to me.
agreed, do share.

tlallstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 11:09 PM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickNice View Post
Congrats. What and where did you study?
I have my undergrad from Adelphi in PE, and my masters is in sports management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
congrats man thats a great accomplishment!

now it's time for the real world...
Thanks! Actually I've been teaching for six years (I'm 31). I was always on the "takes a little longer in college" track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlooded View Post
Well the story goes like this:

In the Spring of 06 I took a course called Research Seminar. The gist was to write a paper. We had a year from the end of the class to hand it in. I put it off, and off, and...you get the idea. I completed it two months ago and had a whole slew of red tape to get through to take the Comp Exam (a test in your specialty area in lieu of writing a thesis). Long story short I could have saved myself a lot of stress and probably graduated earlier had I done what I was supposed to when I was supposed to do it.

Old
05-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Congrats. I'll hopefully be going for my M.S. in the Fall. Although I've already postponed my start date twice due to my job, but we'll see.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 11:29 PM
beastly115

Congrats on finishing! I'm about to start grad school in the Fall. The only thing I'm really looking forward to from it is being able to put off the real world for another couple years

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 12:00 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
Just like the topic says. If getting a Masters has taught me anything it is this: Do your assignments on time even if the professor says you have up to a year to hand it in.

Trust me.
Congrats, good luck finding & keeping a job, it's freaking awfull out there right now.
Also, I love ur tat, i'm planning in getting the same one in black & white.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 12:38 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
As a fellow Sports Management major, I am sorry to hear this.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 12:45 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
Now that were on the topic of colleges has anyone here attended Hofstra and if so what were your thoughts?

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 02:19 AM
in the hall

Congrats. I'm hoping to go for my masters in Sports Business at NYU at some point within the next couple years. My employer will pay for it.. my main motivation of course. I was a sports management major as an undergrad.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 02:22 AM
Captain Monglobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Now that were on the topic of colleges has anyone here attended Hofstra and if so what were your thoughts?
The same teachers teach the same curriculum at NCC.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 03:41 AM
Capitain Midnight
Trust me, I'm a doc

Try med school.....on a side note....my wife is starting law school next year.....

Yup....we be the Huxtables...

Capitain Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 07:31 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
As a fellow Sports Management major, I am sorry to hear this.
Ha! I should mention my masters is from Brooklyn College. no way was I paying through the nose for it. Thankfully I was able to pay most of it out of pocket, and only owe about $2300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Monglobster View Post
The same teachers teach the same curriculum at NCC.
Ahh...NCC. That is where it all started for me too. Seriously though, I don't think there is a better educational value in the world then NCC. Get your GPA up and you can go anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Congrats, good luck finding & keeping a job, it's freaking awfull out there right now.
Also, I love ur tat, i'm planning in getting the same one in black & white.
The ink. Four hours, not my first, and it did hurt a lot, especially towards the end. Since your going b+w that should eliminate a lot of the pain. Im going tomorrow to have mine finished, needs to be touched up now that its healed (I got it three weeks ago).

Old
05-29-2008, 08:16 AM
Jay88*

My bro just finished up Adelphi, and is looking to get in some PHD programs, in Psychology. Alot of hard work.

I personally gave College a shot for a year and a half, and found I liked working with my hands and staying busy. So I joined the Carpenters Union and been in for 6 years as of now, and Im about to get with Con Edison,where I will be staying put. Beeen through all the qualifications, just need the CPR class then I wait for a call to be hired.

Good luck ,man !

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Synergy27

I'm about 60% finished with my M.S. in Systems Engineering/Engineering Management from Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken. I'm in no rush to finish it though, for two reasons:

1. I have a government job that gives scheduled promotions for the first 3 years (i.e., getting my Masters can't change a thing compensation wise until then).

2. I just got finished re-reading Into the Wild (and watching the movie, which was awesome), and I'm seriously contemplating moving to Alaska to live the simple life. I don't need a Masters degree to kill grizzlies and forage for berries do I?

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 09:45 AM
RinkOnEStreet

I'll be finishing up at John Jay today, for my B.A. in Criminal Justice.

I get to walk at MSG and everything, although I'm getting screwed. It was in the arena in years past, but it's in the theater this year.

RinkOnEStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 10:45 AM
SickNice

Has anyone here graduated from B-school? I'm applying full-time in the fall and would like to hear thoughts

SickNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 11:07 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkOnEStreet View Post
I'll be finishing up at John Jay today, for my B.A. in Criminal Justice.

I get to walk at MSG and everything, although I'm getting screwed. It was in the arena in years past, but it's in the theater this year.
I just finished my Master in Public Administration (MPA) - Inspectors General from John Jay. I got my undergrad from SUNY Albany in Criminal Justice. John Jay is now one of the top 5 (And basically the only 5) schools that the federal government is hiring for higher up positions (With MPA's), such as analyst positions at GAO. Im currently in the process of applying for a couple of agencies, such as DHS as a fraud examiner and the Dept. of the Interior as a budget analyst. I'm surprised at the amount of money someone like me would get paid right out of school haha. I currently work for JPMorgan Chase, but I want the security (and pension) of a government job haha.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 11:32 AM
GratefulDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
I'm about 60% finished with my M.S. in Systems Engineering/Engineering Management from Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken. I'm in no rush to finish it though, for two reasons:

1. I have a government job that gives scheduled promotions for the first 3 years (i.e., getting my Masters can't change a thing compensation wise until then).

2. I just got finished re-reading Into the Wild (and watching the movie, which was awesome), and I'm seriously contemplating moving to Alaska to live the simple life. I don't need a Masters degree to kill grizzlies and forage for berries do I?
lol you are kidding right???

I am going to be a senior at Stevens, civil engineering. You live in Weehawken? Why not in grad housing?

GratefulDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulDead View Post
lol you are kidding right???

I am going to be a senior at Stevens, civil engineering. You live in Weehawken? Why not in grad housing?
Haha. Honestly man, I've given some serious thought to getting away from the city for awhile not but I don't have the balls to do it.

I've been living in Weehawken since before I started at Stevens. I work full time and only take 1 or 2 classes a semester, and I take most of them at my job site (Stevens sends instructors out to us), so grad housing wouldn't really help me out too much. My B.S. is in Mechanical Engineering, by the way. Good luck with your Civil degree, there is a TON of work around these parts for you guys.

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 01:37 PM
free0717

Quote:

CONGRATS!!!! YOU HAVE SOMETHING IN COMMON WITH BA BA BOWIE

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 01:50 PM
GratefulDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
Haha. Honestly man, I've given some serious thought to getting away from the city for awhile not but I don't have the balls to do it.

I've been living in Weehawken since before I started at Stevens. I work full time and only take 1 or 2 classes a semester, and I take most of them at my job site (Stevens sends instructors out to us), so grad housing wouldn't really help me out too much. My B.S. is in Mechanical Engineering, by the way. Good luck with your Civil degree, there is a TON of work around these parts for you guys.
Its funny how you say there is a lot of work in Northern NJ, but for the summer I am back home on Long Island and there are no internships to be had. I honestly couldn't stand to stay in Hoboken for the summer (granted it would be at 538 Washington St). Has your Stevens degree lived up to the hype?

GratefulDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
No Hofsta grads?

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote