HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mara VS Pitkanen

Old
05-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Ace2008

vCash: 500
Mara VS Pitkanen

The old catch Lightning in a Bottle theory of getting the best player while they are hot applies here.

Pitkanen has shown that he can be a solid scorer/hitter in the right environment or has he??? not only were his stats in decline the last 2 years in 2 very different environments but his overall play w/o the puck also stagnated.

I'm very high on him and feel that w/ a solid partner in a 2 way system he could be a very good top pair contributor. But the cost of 4.5-5 million$ against the cap + having to trade a ransom to acquire him(anything more than prospects and a 3rd round pick in the next 2 years is in my mind a ransom since the 2008/2009 drafts are quite deep, and pitkanen has yet to fully establish himself as a Star)

in the past 3 years Pitkanen's stats look very comparable to Mara's when considering that in the right environment they both can hit the 40-50 pt mark,,,but what about their +/- giveaways and overall defensive play?

Well that is what I would urge NYR fans to take a look at...apparently Mara has some serious upside. both will be in their late 20's(Mara 29, Pitkanen 25) this September and both have large lanky frames in the 6'4/218-220 lb mold) If they can stay healthy isn't really a question...they can't be expected to do more than they have up to now. Mara at his best over the last 5 years prior to this past one was good for about 77 games per season. Pitkanen over
the last 5 years played about 70 games a season both have the ability to log big 20-24 min a night.

But in a Defensive system that the NYR have been using up to now Mara is good for about 20-35 pts and a +5 or maybe +10

Pitkanen has yet to play in such a system and his initial pt totals and overall +/- would probably be very similar to Mara's. No question that the key is Toughness+leadership on the blueline and that Pitkanen has higher potential than Mara...but mara could be kept in NY for about 2.4 million for 1 year to prove himself

Pitkanen wants the 5 million $ range because he is a high pick and has yet to deliver his full potential.

Is Pitkanen that significant an upgrade considering that both had very nice stats in open skating systems before but on a NYR team the points could be much lower and the defensive play would be the greatest key. mara can still be a late bloomer and make a big surge in the scoring/ overall play charts. He's very comparable in just about every way to Pitkanen except Cost and Cap hit.(Cost=trade)

What do people think...

Is Pitkanen really worth it? and if he is what about Mara?

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 09:10 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

He not worth the risk , assets imo

05-29-2008, 09:12 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
agreed, and I like Mara, I hope he's resigned.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 09:15 PM
NYR Viper

i dont think mara will resign here as he was benched countless times.....and i dont want to pay him 3 million a year...more like 2 if he wants to stay

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 09:25 PM
chosen

Pitkanen is far superior to Mara in every facet of the game aside from staying healthy. Mara used to be more physical but he hasn't been physical in a few years.

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 09:31 PM
beastly115

I'm wary of trading for Pitkanen. Honestly, do we want a guy who has been run out of Philly and is not exactly a fan favorite in Edmonton?

This has Tom Poti written all over it.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Perfect point.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 09:52 PM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

I want Mara to be resigned and to play every game. Paul Mara is the man and can have serious upside if he gets serious minutes. He's got heart, grit, and a hell of a shot.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 10:14 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Pitkanen is far superior to Mara in every facet of the game aside from staying healthy. Mara used to be more physical but he hasn't been physical in a few years.
There is no way u can say Pitkanen has a harder shot. Paul Mara won the hardest shot competition i believe in his rookie year. Mara sticks up for his team mates and is a Dman who can play in almost any situation. There is no reason to trade for Pitkanen.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 11:26 PM
Ace2008

their shots are very comparable..but the overall intangibles is the question

in my view anyone getting north of 3.5 million better have tremendous durability+leadership or a cup ring w/ the ability to single handedly lead a scoring rush Neither have that at the moment

but Mara is easily resigned @ 1 yr 2.3-2.6(look at Ward who just signed !2.5 mill )

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 11:35 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I find it hard to believe how Pitkänen's play has dropped off. He's an amazing talent, I just don't understand what's wrong with him.

Trading for him would be one of those high-risk/high-reward longshots. He's still young enough to perform and meet his potential. Chris Pronger was about 25 when he turned his game around and really became a monster allstar. (Incidentally: since when is 25 "late 20's"?).

Now that there is a cap, it's hard to say that Pitkänen is worth it, but he sure is intriguing to me.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 12:06 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Mara is the most overated player among Ranger fans since like two years ago.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 12:11 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i dont think mara will resign here as he was benched countless times.....and i dont want to pay him 3 million a year...more like 2 if he wants to stay
what i dont understand is why he was benched just because we dealt for crapman.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 02:01 AM
NYReign

I only remember a couple times that Mara was benched. There was one game late in the year that I believe they used to work Malik back in though I don't understand why Mara was benched. The other was some of the first few games of the year when they thought Strudwick had a calming influence on Staal. I think Mara has made great strides since then and probably has cemented a spot in the lineup, if he's re-signed which I hope he will be.

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 03:42 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
I like Mara, wouldn't mind him being re-signed for about 2mil, even though his offensive game has disappeared since leaving Phoenix.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Jay88*

I say NYR passes.I have heard to uch **** about this guy, just being a head case and is a bit injury prone. If any guys like Orpik, redden or Jbo could be had, well then make some moves. Getting Pitkanen wont get NYR a cup, so its not like the final piece of the puzle. I say pass.There are more options out there.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:50 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
I only remember a couple times that Mara was benched. There was one game late in the year that I believe they used to work Malik back in though I don't understand why Mara was benched. The other was some of the first few games of the year when they thought Strudwick had a calming influence on Staal. I think Mara has made great strides since then and probably has cemented a spot in the lineup, if he's re-signed which I hope he will be.
mara is a good team guy as well but i wish he fought a bit more. he did that on the bruins, yotes and bolts. but he came here, it seemed he stayed away from that part of the game.

Old
05-30-2008, 12:18 PM
NYReign

I don't know how those other teams were composed but we have Orr to do our fighting. It's not ideal to play with less than 6 defensemen for any period of time so I have no problem with him not fighting, especially when that was the only reason for Colton to be playing.

Old
05-30-2008, 12:36 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
I don't know how those other teams were composed but we have Orr to do our fighting. It's not ideal to play with less than 6 defensemen for any period of time so I have no problem with him not fighting, especially when that was the only reason for Colton to be playing.
true but if orr is not on the ice and mara is and if someone crashes lundqvist, it would be nice to see our dman do something since they are the closes to him, its not like jagr straka or betts would drop the gloves. i remember against the caps, Sutherby tripped lunqvist and hollweg went to sutherby to fight him, where was orr???

Old
05-30-2008, 02:20 PM
RangerBlueJay*

We need a defenseman that plays defense, enough of the offensive defensman already. Watching the Detroit/Pittsburgh series, just pisses me off at our own "defense".

RangerBlueJay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 02:33 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
There is no way u can say Pitkanen has a harder shot. Paul Mara won the hardest shot competition i believe in his rookie year. Mara sticks up for his team mates and is a Dman who can play in almost any situation. There is no reason to trade for Pitkanen.
Pitkänens shot looks heavier. But I think Mara gets his absolutely hardest shot off a bit quicker.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Fataldogg

Renney didn't play Mara as he should have been played. Mara is a complete defense man. He has a great shot, physical on the boards, can skate well, and throw a hit. Renney was a fool for treating him as a second fiddle to the likes of Mara and Girardi. Especially when Renney refused to play him for the first 60 games of the season on the PP? Ridiculous. Or how Strudwick would play in place of him? Ridiculous. Mara was an Olympic skater for team USA and a 45PT defense man in Boston. If I was him I wouldn't resign here because his assets could be contributed better else where. I wish we do resign him and use him as he should be used. But if we aren't we might as well sign someone else in the hopes Renney will use them as they should be used.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlueJay View Post
We need a defenseman that plays defense, enough of the offensive defensman already. Watching the Detroit/Pittsburgh series, just pisses me off at our own "defense".
Umm... Lidstrom, Rafalski, and Stuart can all play offense pretty well. We need a defense man that can do both. Detroit has it all for the D. We have just a small fraction of it.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 03:54 PM
RangerBlueJay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Umm... Lidstrom, Rafalski, and Stuart can all play offense pretty well. We need a defense man that can do both. Detroit has it all for the D. We have just a small fraction of it.
It's not just that, every pass they make is right on the tape of their offense. Seeing the crushing D explode hits daily, just make me extremely envious.

Staal could be the one for both, one day. The rest, bah.

RangerBlueJay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 04:29 PM
NYReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
true but if orr is not on the ice and mara is and if someone crashes lundqvist, it would be nice to see our dman do something since they are the closes to him, its not like jagr straka or betts would drop the gloves. i remember against the caps, Sutherby tripped lunqvist and hollweg went to sutherby to fight him, where was orr???
alright, in that situation you're absolutely right, the rangers were far too passive this year in protecting Lundqvist. I'm hoping we can sign Orpik to fix that problem.