HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Physical play

Old
05-29-2008, 09:20 PM
flyguy1234*

vCash: 500
Physical play

I like to play physical. It's always fun to check somebody in open ice, or to smash somebody agaisnt the boards. It's always clean. But after every time I check somebody I get scared because I know the other team is going to be looking to hit me. I know it's going to be clean but they are still going to check me. I'm a pretty small dude, 5'6 140 and most players in the league are bigger then me so it hurts to get hit.

Is there any advice about not being scared of the big hit?

flyguy1234* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 09:32 PM
deanosaur

Once you get absolutely destroyed, you'll know what's it's like and you'll be fine after that. Trust me haha

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Redden Hogalot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Once you get absolutely destroyed, you'll know what's it's like and you'll be fine after that. Trust me haha
I agree, haha.

Neely27, you're probably built the same way as me. I'm 5'6" 140lbs also, and after being rocked by a 6'3" 230lb kid it doesn't hurt all that much.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Datsyuk 13

hey im the same size and i am like avery with skill... i get the same feeling but i dont play in the league. dont be afraid, play your hardest.

Datsyuk 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Scoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely27 View Post
I like to play physical. It's always fun to check somebody in open ice, or to smash somebody agaisnt the boards. It's always clean. But after every time I check somebody I get scared because I know the other team is going to be looking to hit me. I know it's going to be clean but they are still going to check me. I'm a pretty small dude, 5'6 140 and most players in the league are bigger then me so it hurts to get hit.

Well, If you can't take/don't like getting hit, don't dish it out, but if you are a stand up guy and can give and take, all the best to you.

One word of advice, just because you are small does not mean a 6'4" 235 D-man wouldn't crush you, you are a hockey player, and because you are a player, just like the rest of the guys, you are there to be hit.

Have fun, and keep it clean

Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 11:17 PM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

If your scared to get hit, then hockey might not be for you. I gives hits and I take hits, I've been decked a few times, but I always get up and it just makes me play harder.

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

They summed it up. I got laid out in center ice and after that, I know it hurts, but you have to keep going. Now the hits go both ways.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 01:15 AM
Red Dragon

Being someone who likes to talk a lot on the ice and is often a target. It wouldn't hurt, for long. Just always keep your head up. The way I play dont get hit hard that often, rolling off the check on the boards is not to hard. Open ice make a smart play most likely off the boards and step to the side. If they call you a ***** just ask him to fight, more times then not that guy is a ***** and wont fight so the tables are turned. Assuming you can fight though at your level. If you can't avoid a hit about 2 feet away from the boards get tight against the boards so it won't be boarding(those tend to hurt the most).

Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 01:18 AM
MG91

Thats what you wear all the equipment for

MG91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 01:42 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
I might be 6'4" and 210.....

But my advice would be grow a pair or go play soccer. I love getting hit. I LOVE when someone rocks me, nothing gets adrenaline flying through the veins better.....

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 01:53 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
You have to get into a mental state. You love dishing out hits, think of it this way. When someone belts ya, go back and hit them just as hard. Just get it into your head, take it, give it back harder. Keep it clean, and keep yourself in the state of mind of always giving more than you receive.

Most importantly, always keep your head up, always keep your head up.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Um. I would say that you don't like to play physical, then. You like to hit people, there's a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyuk 13
hey im the same size and i am like avery with skill
So I guess we'll be seeing you in the NHL some day? What a ridiculous post this is.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
I might be 6'4" and 210.....

But my advice would be grow a pair or go play soccer. I love getting hit. I LOVE when someone rocks me, nothing gets adrenaline flying through the veins better.....
How many times would Chara have to hit you, before your enthusiasm began to wane ever so slightly? Before you said "hey Zdeno, that was fun, what do you say we go kick a ball around for a bit".

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:

What age level do you play in? Sounds like you are in Bantams age class, due to your weight.

I think hattrick15 pretty much summed it up as far as how to take a hit and absorb the shock against the boards.

However, I would like to add to that just a little. For me, I teach my players not to get hit. Hattrick15 said..."rolling off the check on the boards is not to hard. Open ice make a smart play most likely off the boards and step to the side."

Plus, how you enter the boards is every important. If you are going to get a puck against the boards, the angle of approach on how you get in and out is critical.

Here, take a look at this drawing.

I have three senarios that I would like for you to look at.

First, lets look a senario A
Here you will see that the puck is up against the board with the defensemen rushing into the boards. Now I see a lot of defensemen, grab the puck, and try to bank the puck up the boards and out of their defensive zone. Yes, they get it out of the zone, but what they have done is allow a turn over. Plus, if they stop, they get hit!

So rather than a turn over, quickly get in and out. Control the puck and turn into your zone then make the pass..."D to D".

Now in senario B you see the centermen has rushed into the boards. Again, I don't know how many time I see players at all age levels, go to the board and try to push the puck up to their winger or try to advance the puck into the attacking zone, like they are gainning yardage like football.

You don't get any point for giving the puck away all the time. Plus, when the winger stops up against the boards, he is going to get his A** kicked. So don't do it!

Question: If the puck is in the neutral zone, how many guys on the other team are hanging out with your defensemen? Answer: NONE!

So the best play is send the puck back to your defensemen and then regroup, rather than giving a turn over.

In the last senario C the winger is rushing into the corner. I have found it best to have the winger get in and turn up ice towards the point man. Once you start to make that turn, hold the puck for an extra second to pull the defensemen with you. Once the defensemen is locked in, pass the puck back into the pressure zone (yellow). When the puck is in this area, the goalie is under maximum pressure. Why? It forces the goalie to watch the front and the back area at the same time. This gives player on your team the chance to get into stricking distance for one timers.

As far as open ice hits...
I feel its better to get hit they and get hit in open ice. Boards can be every useful for the defending team. If you are next to the boards, coming up the ice, cut into the center area to avoid the check.

If you are in open ice, I recommend keeping your head up and by all means, Pass the Puck. The average pro player hold the puck just a few seconds. They never skate up ice with it. Passing is quicker that skating.

Keep the puck moving with passing. This will also help you avoid the big check!

Last, I recommend you take a power skating class or two. A class that works a lot on spinning and turning in the air to help you with your balance. This turning and spinning will help you avoid the check and when you do get hit, you will be able to stay on your feet.

Skating and balance is 80% of the game. Without it, you might as well be in the stands.

Hope this helps
Head coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 05-30-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Redden Hogalot*

And for the boards, don't stand 1-2 feet beside the boards because then if you get hit you could end up with neck, shoulder problems, etc.

Either stand directly on the boards or about 3 metres away, because then you won't slam your head against the boards, etc.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote