HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lecavalier to Montreal. Trade or free agency?

Old
05-30-2008, 04:37 AM
Jean Beliveau

vCash: 500
Lecavalier to Montreal. Trade or free agency?

I know most of you will immediately say, not another Vinny thread.

But this is diferrent. Something has got to give this time.

This is the guy that can lead us to the promised land once again.

We NEED a French Canadian superstar in Montreal again.

Does Gainey have any way of tapping-up his agent to see if the interest is there.

I say free agency is the only possible way at this point. Feaster would obviously ask for the moon in return and we would be no further ahead than we are today.

How about a 12 year 120 million dollar contract offer.

Gainey has to make it happen and must not take no for an answer. We need to show Vinny that we're building a championship calibre team and that he will be the focal point and team captain.

Since Guy Lafleur we have been waiting. How much longer are we expected to wait.
Another 5, 10, 20, 30 years for another local superstar.

Come on Bob make it happen this summer.

Vinny, the time has come for you to come back to your hometown and claim your rightful place with La Sainte-Flanelle.

Jean Beliveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 05:33 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Ya ok the only way this team will win the cup is with another french superstar....

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 05:41 AM
Jean Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Ya ok the only way this team will win the cup is with another french superstar....
That's not my point but the last time I checked Montreal was located in the Province of Quebec, which is home to the biggest French speaking population in North America.

Doesn't George Gillett and Bob Gainey at least owe it to a majority of their fans in Montreal to make the effort to land the only French Canadian superstar in the NHL today.

Old
05-30-2008, 05:43 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Beliveau View Post
That's not my point but the last time I checked Montreal was located in the Province of Quebec, which is home to the biggest French speaking population in North America.

Doesn't George Gillett and Bob Gainey at least owe it to a majority of their fans in Montreal to make the effort to land the only French Canadian superstar in the NHL today.
No they don't. This is just another thinly disguised language thread. Who cares. Also who the hell would be stupid enough to give Lecavalier a 12 year contract? He would be almost 40 at the end and could seriously cripple this team in the future.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 05:44 AM
Garo

Quote:
No.

And anyway, Montréal is mostly bilingual... and we have a lot of those players so we're ok

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 05:46 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
This is the guy that can lead us to the promised land once again.
He can, but we're 1 or 2 good moves away from getting a cup anyways, such as a gritty scoring winger (Rolston).

Quote:
We NEED a French Canadian superstar in Montreal again.
Big load. I'm not French Canadian so maybe I shouldn't voice my opinion about a delicate topic, but Montreal doesn't NEED a French Canadian. I couldn't give a rat's ass where a player is FROM, as long as he likes playing for the Habs and wants to win a cup with us.

Quote:
I say free agency is the only possible way at this point. Feaster would obviously ask for the moon in return and we would be no further ahead than we are today.
The one remotely smart thing you've said so far.

Quote:
How about a 12 year 120 million dollar contract offer.
Great idea! Let's destroy our cap space on ONE player. That seems to be working well for other teams that have attempted the same, such as Tampa Bay. Oh wait...

Quote:
Gainey has to make it happen and must not take no for an answer. We need to show Vinny that we're building a championship calibre team and that he will be the focal point and team captain.
We are building a championship team, but if we blow 10 million a year for 12 years on Lecavalier, we're back to being mediocre, since we won't be able to keep a good chunk of our core, such as Komisarek, Markov, Plekanec, etc. Oh, and Koivu will be team captain until he retires. Sorry to disappoint you.

Quote:
Since Guy Lafleur we have been waiting. How much longer are we expected to wait.
Another 5, 10, 20, 30 years for another local superstar.
Again, irrelevant. The importance of having a French Canadian leading the Habs to glory is overblown. If a guy can make the Habs succeed, it shouldn't matter one god damn where he's from.

Quote:
Vinny, the time has come for you to come back to your hometown and claim your rightful place with La Sainte-Flanelle.
I'm sure Vinny's in a huge hurry to avoid the hellhole of hot women in bikinis year round and no taxes to be under the watchful eye of the relentless Montreal media while giving up half his pay to taxes.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 05:48 AM
Chainsaw

Quote:
Would you settle for Simon Gagne?

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 05:57 AM
Jean Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
No they don't. This is just another thinly disguised language thread. Who cares. Also who the hell would be stupid enough to give Lecavalier a 12 year contract? He would be almost 40 at the end and could seriously cripple this team in the future.

Edouard "Newsy" Lalonde, Georges Vezina, Aurel Joliat, Maurice "Rocket" Richard, Jean Beliveau, Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion, Jacques Plante, Emile Bouchard, Henri Richard, Yvan Cournoyer, Serge Savard, Guy Lapointe, Guy Lafleur, Jacques Lemaire, Rejan Houle, Guy Carbonneau, Patrick Roy, Stephane Richer, Claude Lemieux.

This is not a language issue. Those players were all French Canadians which a great portion of the local population could indentify with.

Ownership and management has to make an effort if it presents itself.

Vinny could very well be a free agent in 2009.

Old
05-30-2008, 06:08 AM
Garo

You put Carbonneau, Richer, Lemieux and Houle on your list, but not Harvey? Hell, I'd probably put Mantha over them too.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 06:08 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyadh View Post
Would you settle for Simon Gagne?
On my NHL 08 the Habs have Gagne AND Lecavalier

Morozov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 06:18 AM
Chainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
On my NHL 08 the Habs have Gagne AND Lecavalier
On my NHL 08 the Flyers have Guillaume Latendresse, The next Johnny Vermont

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 07:24 AM
Canadiens1958

Injury Rehab

Overlooking that Lecavalier's shoulder surgery may require a longer rehab period than originally anticipated and Gagne may be a hit away from a career ending concussion.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:07 AM
DG

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:24 AM
mcphee

I'm glad this thread gives us all the possibility to say what we've all said before .

VL makes perfect sense as he's in his prime, has some charisma and is as good as anyone.

As previously discussed, their are factors beyong local control. What does Lecavalier want ? He says he wants to stay in Fla., but who knows. Does he want Mtl and all that comes with it, that;s really the only question here. Every day in TB is one day less on his contract and affects his trade value. IF they feel Vinny won't stay, they deal him, if he will, they keep him.

I think Feaster has to know Mtl would be at the front of the line. All of the hyperbole of what's owed to the fan base, what Bob must do, well, nice words and a nice trip down memory lane, but it's up to Vinny. IMO, he used local media to negotiate his last deal, let's see what he does this time.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:28 AM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
I have a proposal.

Saku Koivu
Carey Price
Mike Komisarek
Chris Higgins

for

Vince Lecavalier
Mike Smith
2nd
3rd

I can see this as only way Gainey can get Lecavalier.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:39 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Edouard "Newsy" Lalonde, Georges Vezina, Aurel Joliat, Maurice "Rocket" Richard, Jean Beliveau, Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion, Jacques Plante, Emile Bouchard, Henri Richard, Yvan Cournoyer, Serge Savard, Guy Lapointe, Guy Lafleur, Jacques Lemaire, Rejan Houle, Guy Carbonneau, Patrick Roy, Stephane Richer, Claude Lemieux.

This is not a language issue. Those players were all French Canadians which a great portion of the local population could indentify with.

Ownership and management has to make an effort if it presents itself.

Vinny could very well be a free agent in 2009.
While I'm fully cogniant of the value of homegrown product in MTl, the fan base didn't seem to have any problems identifying with Michael Ryder while he was scoring nor either of the Kostitsyn brothers. Don't demean the fan base by suggesting what they need to identify with. They'd enjoy and be thrilled with Vinny L. in Mtl but they have no problem rioting in the streets with the current team. They want success ahead of all else. Cups are what they identify with.

Old
05-30-2008, 08:41 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
While I'm fully cogniant of the value of homegrown product in MTl, the fan base didn't seem to have any problems identifying with Michael Ryder while he was scoring nor either of the Kostitsyn brothers. Don't demean the fan base by suggesting what they need to identify with. They'd enjoy and be thrilled with Vinny L. in Mtl but they have no problem rioting in the streets with the current team. They want success ahead of all else. Cups are what they identify with.
Well Said.

Old
05-30-2008, 08:49 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Well Said.
I get pissed off with the premise. If you really pine for Vinny, you're on the side of 'let's return to our roots and have a 90% French speaking roster' or if you're indifferent, you become the guy who refuses to recognize the cultural impact the team has had historically. It makes it all seem so black n white and encourages everyone to jump to the extreme point of view.

Geezus, we know it'd be good to have this guy on the team for a myriad of reasons. [I have no idea what myriad means].

To suggest it as an idea that Newsy Lalonde and Jacques Plante's legacy should be honored is kind of insulting to anyone who has followed the team for more than 20 minutes.

otoh, maybe I'm just a bit out of sorts, allergies acting up a bit.

Old
05-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I say we wait until he's an UFA.We have some great young players and trading away 3 or 4 to get Vinny wouldn't make sence.

If he signs elsewhere,then we can booo another player...

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:10 AM
BLONG7

Vinny is talented, but I still think he will crumble under the media pressure...that being said, I would not want BG to trade the farm to get him, just wait until he is a UFA and bingo! Does Vinny even want to be in Montreal? That thought is alot more possible after a 1st place finish in the conference last year, than a couple of seasons back when we were fighting for 7-8-9-10th place...please guys, don't turn this into a language thing, Vinny is a great player, no matter whether he is english,french,russian etc. this kind of stuff only happens on our board, and in the city of Montreal, keep it clean and open to opinions and some dialogue... ( hey Mcphee, nice shot on the myriad of reasons, what about plethora?)

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:17 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Vinny is talented, but I still think he will crumble under the media pressure...that being said, I would not want BG to trade the farm to get him, just wait until he is a UFA and bingo! Does Vinny even want to be in Montreal? That thought is alot more possible after a 1st place finish in the conference last year, than a couple of seasons back when we were fighting for 7-8-9-10th place...please guys, don't turn this into a language thing, Vinny is a great player, no matter whether he is english,french,russian etc. this kind of stuff only happens on our board, and in the city of Montreal, keep it clean and open to opinions and some dialogue... ( hey Mcphee, nice shot on the myriad of reasons, what about plethora?)
That's the relevant issue. If he does, he has the upper hand. His agent can drop a casual hint to to Feaster that things might not get worked out in Mtl and btw, Vinny's in Mtl pricing waterfront property near Ile Perrot. Feaster then has to act before a leaked media report lowers trade value. I know this is far fetched cloak n dagger stuff, but I don't believe that TB can go thru the season with him as an asset if they know he intends to leave.

My own belief is that VL is like most guys in this position. He really doesn't know at this point. Ask me at Christmas, ask me in Feb. It's a life changing decision and I don't think he'll include us in the process. Gainey may very well spend the $ elsewhere if he doesn't believe it's a real possibility.

Old
05-30-2008, 09:19 AM
habfan4

It's déjà vu all over again.

In a perfect world where Lecavalier is available, you acquire him. You want him on this team because of his talent. His heritage and his mother tongue are an obvious bonus given the history of the team, but at the end of the day those factors are incidental.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:20 AM
LilWinger11

I'm an American citizen, but I'm fully Quebcoise and Acadian on my mother's side. I speak passable French, I eat poutine, my family has tourtiere for New Years, I visit Montreal two or three times a year, and while my 85-year-old grandfather was the first generation of his family to be born in the States (Springfield, MA, to be exact) and grew up on the dark side (Bruins fan) he has nothing but reverence for the Habs players he grew up hearing about- the Rocket, Jean Beliveau, Boom Boom. I'd say I'm 75% done converting him to a Habs fan (I just have to keep him away from my damn Bruins fan cousins).

Would I love to see Vinny, Simon, or another Quebecois star lead the Habs to another Cup? Absolutely. But if we win it all with an Anglo/American/Euro roster, I don't think it would diminish anyone's joy.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Bolts f4n

Send a message via AIM to Bolts f4n
Vinny is currently building a $3 million children's cancer floor on the new all children's hospital here in Tampa. He has constantly said that he wants to remain in Tampa. The new ownership's number one priority is to re-sign Vinny for life. He'll be in a Lightning jersey for his whole career and his number will be retired. Sorry, Habs fans.

Bolts f4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:27 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
I'm an American citizen, but I'm fully Quebcoise and Acadian on my mother's side. I speak passable French, I eat poutine, my family has tourtiere for New Years, I visit Montreal two or three times a year, and while my 85-year-old grandfather was the first generation of his family to be born in the States (Springfield, MA, to be exact) and grew up on the dark side (Bruins fan) he has nothing but reverence for the Habs players he grew up hearing about- the Rocket, Jean Beliveau, Boom Boom. I'd say I'm 75% done converting him to a Habs fan (I just have to keep him away from my damn Bruins fan cousins).

Would I love to see Vinny, Simon, or another Quebecois star lead the Habs to another Cup? Absolutely. But if we win it all with an Anglo/American/Euro roster, I don't think it would diminish anyone's joy.
Textile worker ? I've met many people thru the New England area, whose families emigrated to follow the mills and they struggle to maintain the language, with varying degrees of success.