HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blake Wheeler - A Boston Bruin on 7/1/08

Old
05-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
but that can't be the only thing he wants. He could have gotten more money in PHX than with any other team in the league because he fell under the old CBA rules. $$$ isn't the only issue here.
The other logical explanation would be he just wants to play in a bigger market. If the Yotes offered him the max rookie salary, that has to be the reason for him to turn it down.

Maybe he has his heart set on playing for the Wild? He's a Minnesota native after all.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 11:22 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

It would be silly IMO for Sather not to at least explore the option of offering him a contract.

Big man has had a lot of skill, and he's going to get better when he adds some more weight.

Don't break the bank by any means trying to get him...but i'll be disappointed if we didnt even try.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 11:22 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The other logical explanation would be he just wants to play in a bigger market. If the Yotes offered him the max rookie salary, that has to be the reason for him to turn it down.

Maybe he has his heart set on playing for the Wild? He's a Minnesota native after all.
but the thing is I don't understand how you could snub an organization and a fan base that has supported you through everything that you have done. So what if he didn't turn out to be an unbelievable player. The kid should have known that he had a legitimate shot of being an effective player on the Coyotes and a big piece of the team. I'm just an angry Coyotes fan (never thought I would describe myself as that).

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 11:38 PM
IanB

There are going to be a good amount of teams interested, but his maximum salary is limited like any other rookie's would be, since that is still technically what he would be.

And, its worth noting, that it would be impossible for him to get as much as he could've from Phoenix. I would say the odds are pretty good he knows exactly where he wants to go, and its probably Minnesota - where he is from, and where there is an apparent need for a player with his skill set.

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 11:46 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
It would be silly IMO for Sather not to at least explore the option of offering him a contract.

Big man has had a lot of skill, and he's going to get better when he adds some more weight.

Don't break the bank by any means trying to get him...but i'll be disappointed if we didnt even try.
I could be wrong Fly but I am pretty sure this can't turn into a bidding war. I think the most he can be offered is the max rookie contract within the new CBA. It will just come down to what team/area he prefers. That is what initially confused me about this situation, that no one could match how much Phoenix was offering in terms of salary. So he must have really wanted out of there.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 01:04 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i would be shocked if slats doesn't put in a phone call to his agent.
maybe sather and maloney had an agreement in the montoya deal, heck we can dream cant we.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:33 AM
Jay88*

if he can be picked up then go for it. If not well its not a lose.Obviousley PHX dont feel they will be missing out if they let him go,and there is a reason for it. Im just assuming.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:38 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay88 View Post
if he can be picked up then go for it. If not well its not a lose.Obviousley PHX dont feel they will be missing out if they let him go,and there is a reason for it. Im just assuming.
They didn't "let him go", he refused to sign with them, despite being offered the max amount Pheonix can offer him under the CBA.

And there's no way this is some back room deal between Maloney and Sather, because Maloney has absolutely no say in where the kid decides to sign. Wheeler holds all the cards in his hand, and will go where HE wants.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Jay88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
They didn't "let him go", he refused to sign with them, despite being offered the max amount Pheonix can offer him under the CBA.

And there's no way this is some back room deal between Maloney and Sather, because Maloney has absolutely no say in where the kid decides to sign. Wheeler holds all the cards in his hand, and will go where HE wants.
Ok, I apparently had no idea. I remember when he was drafted. I think PHX took a shot on him drafting him higher then expected. I guess if thats the case then HYR should make a move. They are weak on top line prospects. Now that i know better I say NYR should give him a shot.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 10:00 AM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Anyone have any idea when we'll hear something on wheeler? Could he sign with a team immediately or after the cup finals or what?

Love to have this guy in the system.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post
Open the long term contracts purse strings Slats
Pretty sure rookie contracts are limited to 3 years

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 11:36 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Pretty sure rookie contracts are limited to 3 years
was it increased to 4 under the new cba? either way its definitely limited...

but wheeler would be dumb to sign a deal for the max length while the $$ is also capped...he'll more likely try to get a 2 year deal like brunnstrom got so he can sign a new deal not restricted sooner.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 11:54 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
Anyone have any idea when we'll hear something on wheeler? Could he sign with a team immediately or after the cup finals or what?

Love to have this guy in the system.
I don't think he can sign with anyone until June 8th...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...g-Coyotes.html

thats what this says.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 12:00 PM
NYR Viper

here is my story of what possibly happened:

around the trade deadlin the coyotes were looking at getting montoya and they had a deal in place witht he rangers with montoya for wheeler...two former high first rounders, and he probably caught wind of it....at that time the deal chaged to include hossa and the coyotes didnt think it was fair value to send sjostrom and wheeler so they changed it to leneveau who was also on the asking list....at that point wheeler didnt think he was wanted and instead of being traded and having no choice of where he is going he decided to hit UFA and pick where he wants to go....makes sense

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
was it increased to 4 under the new cba? either way its definitely limited...

but wheeler would be dumb to sign a deal for the max length while the $$ is also capped...he'll more likely try to get a 2 year deal like brunnstrom got so he can sign a new deal not restricted sooner.
I'm pretty lazy and don't want to check the rules, but I think you have to sign for 3 years with a rookie deal. Otherwise players would do just what you said, and only sign for one year and then demand big money for year 2 when they're out from under the rookie contract cap.

Brunnstrom might have been able to get around that due to age or something, I don't know.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 12:40 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'm pretty lazy and don't want to check the rules, but I think you have to sign for 3 years with a rookie deal. Otherwise players would do just what you said, and only sign for one year and then demand big money for year 2 when they're out from under the rookie contract cap.

Brunnstrom might have been able to get around that due to age or something, I don't know.
Brunnstrom was undrafted, I think that's the reason.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 12:50 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post

around the trade deadlin the coyotes were looking at getting montoya and they had a deal in place witht he rangers with montoya for wheeler...two former high first rounders, and he probably caught wind of it....at that time the deal chaged to include hossa and the coyotes didnt think it was fair value to send sjostrom and wheeler so they changed it to leneveau who was also on the asking list....at that point wheeler didnt think he was wanted and instead of being traded and having no choice of where he is going he decided to hit UFA and pick where he wants to go....makes sense
conspiracy theories are fun, but there is ZERO chance that sather traded montoya with the hope that maybe 3 months later he could sign wheeler. if that was the case the rangers would have simply added something equal in value to the 35th pick and gotten wheeler in the trade. i GUARANTEE that the montoya trade and wheeler's situation have NOTHING to do with each other.

Old
05-30-2008, 12:55 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
I GUARANTEE that the montoya trade and wheeler's situation have NOTHING to do with each other.
+1

I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy but this is way too far fetched.

Old
05-30-2008, 01:01 PM
NYR Viper

HAHA....yea...thats why i called it a story...lol

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Quote:

An interesting thought, but this isn't what actually happened. Don't ask for a link, because I don't have the time to go back searching for articles from February, but there was an article just after the deadline that stated that the original deal between the Yotes and Rangers was a one for one, Sjostrom for Hossa. Two guys for whom a change of scenery might do wonders. When Allaire heard of this, he asked Sather to trade Montoya for LeNeveu, probably because LeNeveu is his protege and he wanted him back. Ironically enough, Allaire left Phoenix when they wouldn't draft Montoya, then ended up with the Rangers who did draft Montoya. Then this trade happened, apparently Allaire had "given up" on Montoya, and wanted to work with LeNeveu instead, thinking he could really do good things for him.

Last edited by Turambar: 05-30-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 800
Apparently he has opted for Free Agency as per the Coyotes board. I say make an offer.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I actually think, if anything, Frolik goes unsigned rather than Wheeler.
Looks like we were both wrong.

But I still say that Phoenix doesnt let him get away.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 04:17 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Looks like we were both wrong.

But I still say that Phoenix doesnt let him get away.
what could phoenix possibly offer him that would change his mind? they already offered him the max based on the old cba rules, he is now subject to the new cba rules which means the max offer from anyone including phoenix is less. so after rejecting phoenix's offer, why would he turn around and accept a deal for less $$ from them?

Old
05-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
what could phoenix possibly offer him that would change his mind? they already offered him the max based on the old cba rules, he is now subject to the new cba rules which means the max offer from anyone including phoenix is less. so after rejecting phoenix's offer, why would he turn around and accept a deal for less $$ from them?
Just seems odd that Phoenix would let him go for nothing, you think they wouldve known this was on the way.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 04:29 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Just seems odd that Phoenix would let him go for nothing, you think they wouldve known this was on the way.
They are getting a 2nd round pick as compensation. Phoenix did the most they could do to retain him, they offered him the max rookie contract under the old CBA. Wheeler must have his heart set on playing somewhere else or he must hate Phoenix.