HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lecavalier to Montreal. Trade or free agency?

Old
05-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Fido22

vCash: 500
Meh, I liked my Vinny thread better.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Roulin

Obviously the Habs would love to have Vinnie, but IMO it's a question of timing.

The team has to try to get an impact player, while they have young players outperforming their contracts. By the time the 2005 draftees start getting paid at market value, the cap space may be gone. There's a window there to add a difference maker, whether it's Vinnie, Hossa , Sundin, Marleau or someone else.

If the Habs pass on the rest to hold out for Vinnie, it's possible (I'd say probable) that they'll get burned. Not that he wouldn't be the best option. Just that, the way things are working timing-wise, he's not the best bet. That said, if the Habs strike out with the A-list players again, I'd rather hold out for Vinnie's UFA class than give a multi-year contract to a B-list player.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:31 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

i've already answered this before and i will answer it again.

Due to family history, Vinny, will NEVER come to montreal.

I wont go into details, but i can guarantee you that it will never happen, so just drop it. Dream of someone else.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:31 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts f4n View Post
Vinny is currently building a $3 million children's cancer floor on the new all children's hospital here in Tampa. He has constantly said that he wants to remain in Tampa. The new ownership's number one priority is to re-sign Vinny for life. He'll be in a Lightning jersey for his whole career and his number will be retired. Sorry, Habs fans.
That's most probably what will happen. I think though that you'd admit that like that guy in that show House always says, people lie. If he says all the right things, fine,that's what they do, but speculation will continue until he signs. It's a nice dream for Hab fans, and if he indeed wanted to be moved and Mtl didn't get him, questions would have to be answered.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Vinny is currently building a $3 million children's cancer floor on the new all children's hospital here in Tampa. He has constantly said that he wants to remain in Tampa. The new ownership's number one priority is to re-sign Vinny for life. He'll be in a Lightning jersey for his whole career and his number will be retired. Sorry, Habs fans.
I would have absolutely agreed with you a couple of years ago. But over the last year a lot of things have changed with the team. So I'd be curious to see what happens this year.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:36 AM
habfan4

Quote:
There's no reason to be sorry, a sizeable segment of Canadiens' fandom have long thought that Vinnie donning a Habs jersey was a pipe dream.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:37 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Beliveau View Post
I know most of you will immediately say, not another Vinny thread.

But this is diferrent. Something has got to give this time.

This is the guy that can lead us to the promised land once again.

We NEED a French Canadian superstar in Montreal again.

Does Gainey have any way of tapping-up his agent to see if the interest is there.

I say free agency is the only possible way at this point. Feaster would obviously ask for the moon in return and we would be no further ahead than we are today.

How about a 12 year 120 million dollar contract offer.

Gainey has to make it happen and must not take no for an answer. We need to show Vinny that we're building a championship calibre team and that he will be the focal point and team captain.

Since Guy Lafleur we have been waiting. How much longer are we expected to wait.
Another 5, 10, 20, 30 years for another local superstar.

Come on Bob make it happen this summer.

Vinny, the time has come for you to come back to your hometown and claim your rightful place with La Sainte-Flanelle.
Like the 24994242 other times?

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:45 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Like the 24994242 other times?
I think just you and I have talked about this about forty times. Thing is, we've gone over 'how' it could happen, full well knowing that it all came down to what the guy wants. We have a poster , who I have no reason to doubt, hinting that there are family reasons that would preclude this from happening. I've heard a local radio guy hinting about a family connection saying that it could, with another adamantly saying, get it out of your heads, it isn't happening.

Personally, if things were to go sour in TB in terms of new ownership, communications, perecived direction of the team going forward, you never know.

Deep down, I think that when Strachan said that he wanted out, that solidified his desire to stay. It sounded like what he did last time, plant a story, let the negotiating games begin.

Old
05-30-2008, 08:50 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
I know most of you will immediately say, not another Vinny thread.

But this is diferrent. Something has got to give this time.

This is the guy that can lead us to the promised land once again.

We NEED a French Canadian superstar in Montreal again.

Does Gainey have any way of tapping-up his agent to see if the interest is there.

I say free agency is the only possible way at this point. Feaster would obviously ask for the moon in return and we would be no further ahead than we are today.

How about a 12 year 120 million dollar contract offer.

Gainey has to make it happen and must not take no for an answer. We need to show Vinny that we're building a championship calibre team and that he will be the focal point and team captain.

Since Guy Lafleur we have been waiting. How much longer are we expected to wait.
Another 5, 10, 20, 30 years for another local superstar.

Come on Bob make it happen this summer.

Vinny, the time has come for you to come back to your hometown and claim your rightful place with La Sainte-Flanelle.
If he wants to come here he can by free agency. If he doesnt do it by free agency BG would have to gut the team. If he has an American women he will never come to the habs

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:01 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
If he wants to come here he can by free agency. If he doesnt do it by free agency BG would have to gut the team. If he has an American women he will never come to the habs
I've had a few American women, it wouldn't of stopped me.

Old
05-30-2008, 09:03 AM
dlandry77

I think Vinny is one of the best players in the league and that is why we would love to get him. Who cares where he is from, all of us are still interested in Hossa. Vinny is that elite player that the Canadiens have been looking for that type of player for a long time now.

I think 8 years and around Crosby money would probably be enough, 8-9.5 million. It is ok to do this with one player espically when he is one of the best players in the league.

If we sign Hossa this year, don't count on Vinny though. Unless that means goodbye to Koivu and Kovalev.

dlandry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:07 AM
Jean Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
That may very well be the case as I tend to be optimistic by nature.

I can at least tell you that if Vinny decides against coming to Montreal in 2009 and instead chooses to stay in TB, I'll be choked to say the least.

Mr little shyt himself Briere was enough to get me going last year.

When are players like Vinny, Briere, Tanguay, Gagne, Lapointe and others will show some guts and actually put the Habs jersey. Is too much pressure for them.
Show some pride once in a while. I guess it's it is easier for them to just blend in American society. Maybe if they had 1 tenth of the courage shown by their descendants we would not be having this discussion.

What a bunch of gutless pukes.

I hope I'm wrong about Vinny.

Jean Beliveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:11 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think just you and I have talked about this about forty times. Thing is, we've gone over 'how' it could happen, full well knowing that it all came down to what the guy wants. We have a poster , who I have no reason to doubt, hinting that there are family reasons that would preclude this from happening. I've heard a local radio guy hinting about a family connection saying that it could, with another adamantly saying, get it out of your heads, it isn't happening.

Personally, if things were to go sour in TB in terms of new ownership, communications, perecived direction of the team going forward, you never know.

Deep down, I think that when Strachan said that he wanted out, that solidified his desire to stay. It sounded like what he did last time, plant a story, let the negotiating games begin.
But I have been thinking about this and I'm still wondering why would a family reason keep him out of the city? I mean, he does live here all summer long. And more profoundly than that, how about the dream of winning the cup in Montreal? What wins? (I know the answer for me and I don't pretend to know for him, but I would go through a lot of problems to realize a dream.)

Old
05-30-2008, 09:14 AM
FlavorFlav

Not another Lecavalier thread...

FlavorFlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:18 AM
mcphee

Quote:

I can at least tell you that if Vinny decides against coming to Montreal in 2009 and instead chooses to stay in TB, I'll be choked to say the least.

When are players like Vinny, Briere, Tanguay, Gagne, Lapointe and others will show some guts and actually put the Habs jersey. Is too much pressure for them.
Show some pride once in a while. I guess it's it is easier for them to just blend in American society. Maybe if they had 1 tenth of the courage shown by their descendants we would not be having this discussion.

There are 30 cities in the league with varying lifestyles, environmental and finacial consierations. Do you think that being born in Quebec should automatically bind that player to want to play here ?

Is every European player diminished in your eyes becaus ethey chose to make their lives overseas ? I don't resent Briere for choosning to go elsewhere, nor anyone else. I kind of resent the need for damage control but other than that, who am I to decide where a guy should settle down with his family ?

As far as the courage of their descendants, this generation has free choice to an extent. Past generations had none, and if they voiced dissent, they'd be dispatched to other cities. Who knows how the league's history would look if players had even minimal rights back in the 50's ?

Old
05-30-2008, 09:19 AM
SOLR

Quote:

Hockey isn't war, there's no need for a "war" anymore, we are all on the same boat called planet earth, in a global economy. Playing for the habs is just another job, it's not a diplomatic seat. It is important to win, because everybody likes to be a winner, not because we are french Canadians fighting for survival or something ridiculous like that. I'll add that I don't care about the nationality of ours stars. Give me a Chinese hockey stick virtuoso, I just can't wait.

Old
05-30-2008, 09:24 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
But I have been thinking about this and I'm still wondering why would a family reason keep him out of the city? I mean, he does live here all summer long. And more profoundly than that, how about the dream of winning the cup in Montreal? What wins? (I know the answer for me and I don't pretend to know for him, but I would go through a lot of problems to realize a dream.)
I guess that anything could have happened, maybe a story came out that embarassed him, maybe someone went too far, maybe he didn't get treated nicely at a golf tournament, I have no idea, but I do know that not every opinion and grudge I've had over the years applies now. People change and grow, but still, I see a guy who's the face of the franchise, leads a nice lifestlye, has given back to the community, why change ?

Old
05-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Maximus Taylor

I honestly doubt Lecavalier wants to play in Montréal.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:55 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I guess that anything could have happened, maybe a story came out that embarassed him, maybe someone went too far, maybe he didn't get treated nicely at a golf tournament, I have no idea, but I do know that not every opinion and grudge I've had over the years applies now. People change and grow, but still, I see a guy who's the face of the franchise, leads a nice lifestlye, has given back to the community, why change ?
-A franchise that just been sold.(Uncertainty)
-A franchise that is going nowhere on the ice in the short to medium term. The lightning won't have Vinny until December next season, they will likely miss the playoff by a lot again.
-Brad Richards trade.
-A franchise unable to compete financially.
-Maybe the grudge happened with the old Habs clan of Houde etc.(those guys are gone etc.)

Last edited by SOLR: 05-30-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old
05-30-2008, 09:57 AM
skipp18

Quote:
That's not my point but the last time I checked Montreal was located in the Province of Quebec, which is home to the biggest French speaking population in North America.

Doesn't George Gillett and Bob Gainey at least owe it to a majority of their fans in Montreal to make the effort to land the only French Canadian superstar in the NHL today.
The Bell Center is filled to capacity every night. The team owns the league attendence record and TV ratings are through the roof.
Adding a french Canadian Superstar wil not change the bottom line or popularity of this team, so Im not sure how Gillete "owes" anything.

What Gillete does "owe" to the fans is a commitment to putting a winning team on the ice and competing for the cup. In which case adding Vinny would be a great idea but not because he speaks french because he's a great player.

skipp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 10:07 AM
AH

Oh God, not another one of these.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Batarnac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipp18 View Post
The Bell Center is filled to capacity every night. The team owns the league attendence record and TV ratings are through the roof.
Adding a french Canadian Superstar wil not change the bottom line or popularity of this team, so Im not sure how Gillete "owes" anything.

What Gillete does "owe" to the fans is a commitment to putting a winning team on the ice and competing for the cup. In which case adding Vinny would be a great idea but not because he speaks french because he's a great player.
Well said. Vinny would be a great addition to our team but the fact that he speaks french as nothing to do with it.

Batarnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 10:28 AM
McTusk

Quote:
Really? Briere?

Alright Mods, close this thread now. We know where the OP is coming from.

McTusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Lone Rogue

Alright. Fine.

I know how to settle this.

Saku Koivu has officially become a French Canadian. We shall now call him Sallie Koivuneau. Alex Kovalev will also move from New York to Montreal. His new name is Alex Kovaleur. Guillaume Latendresse will also get re-frenched. He'll be Guy LaTendeur.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Marc-E-

I think it's been already said; Lecavalier will remains with Tampa Bay.

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote