HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Make a move....or not.

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Move up from #9 to try and get Flitov 2 13.33%
Move up from #15 to have two picks in the #10 4 26.67%
Trade both the #2's for a #1 pick and have 3 1sts 1 6.67%
Do nothing and draft the talent that is there 5 33.33%
Trade some or all the picks for existing NHL talent 1 6.67%
other 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-30-2008, 12:06 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Make a move....or not.

The Preds have 5 picks in the top 76 (Thanks Wheeler ) This may actually be too much talent at one time to have in the system and with top level talent out there you could see Poile make a move. So here's my question, how would you handle this draft?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
The Preds have 5 picks in the top 76 (Thanks Wheeler ) This may actually be too much talent at one time to have in the system and with top level talent out there you could see Poile make a move. So here's my question, how would you handle this draft?
trade Suter to the Canucks so that we may acquire the 10th pick + another player coming back and make a play for Stamkos with our two top 10 picks

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 12:11 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
trade Suter to the Canucks so that we may acquire the 10th pick + another player coming back and make a play for Stamkos with our two top 10 picks
Stamkos is impossible to get, I think Flitov can be acquired.

Old
05-30-2008, 12:31 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

I think Filatov goes 3rd to the Thrashers and there's no way they give him up unless you trade them Suter. Can you imagine Filatov and Kovalchuk playing on opposite wings? Put Kozlov in the middle and he'll pile up assists like nobody's business.

Poile will go the conservative route and make as safe of a pick as he can at each spot. So long as that doesn't mean Boychuk or more than 2 defensemen, I'll be fine.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 12:36 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I think Filatov goes 3rd to the Thrashers and there's no way they give him up unless you trade them Suter. Can you imagine Filatov and Kovalchuk playing on opposite wings? Put Kozlov in the middle and he'll pile up assists like nobody's business.

Poile will go the conservative route and make as safe of a pick as he can at each spot. So long as that doesn't mean Boychuk or more than 2 defensemen, I'll be fine.
That's nice on Poile, but what would YOU do Worst?

Old
05-30-2008, 12:53 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
That's nice on Poile, but what would YOU do Worst?
What would *I* do? I would try to trade up to see if I could grab Filatov. I would be in Atlanta's ear (not sure who their acting GM is with Waddel out) the night before, the morning of and right up until the Kings pick Bogosian 2nd overall trying to get him to cave. If I can't, I take the cards I've been dealt and I'll be happy. I even spent the whole morning putting together my ideal draft class, barring us trading up...

(note that a lot of this is written in the 3rd person and/or as if the draft has already occurred)
9th overall- Mikkel Boedker, LW, Kitchener Rangers (OHL) – Not really sure that this one needs an explanation. He’s a crafty winger with a great shot and can do the bull in a china shop bit quite well along the boards. He’s very strong for his size and doesn’t totally shun the idea of physical contact, which really helps his overall game. Defense could naturally be improved, but he plays wing so it’s not all that daunting of a task. Boedker will likely return to Kitchener for at least one more year of seasoning before the Predators start talking price, but he has all the makings of a star.

15th overall- Josh Bailey, C, Windsor Spitfires (OHL) – Bailey said in an interview that he worked really hard last summer to get stronger for Bob Boughner’s Spitfires, and he showed it this season. The 6’, 200 lb. center ventured into the high traffic areas and wasn’t afraid to get physical on his way to a 96 point campaign (29g-67a). Boughner has instilled in the Sptifires, as shown in Bailey, the willingness to play rough and go all out for a full 60 minutes. This attitude combined with Bailey’s skill is a dangerous combination. If he can play a little wing, he will be a huge asset for the Predators. And if not, he can at least replace Jason Arnott at the end of his contract.

31st overall- Yann Sauve, D, Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL) – The Predators are taking out insurance on their young defensemen. In the case of Ryan Suter, that insurance is Kevin Klein. In the case of Shea Weber, it’s this guy. Sauve saw tons of ice time for the Sea Dogs and often found himself on the top pairing. Sauve is a defenseman in the mold of Weber and Dion Phaneuf, bringing offensive ability to the table (don’t let his meager offensive numbers decieve you), as well as size (6’3”, 220lbs makes him the biggest Predators defenseman) and a willingness to use it, notably mixing it up with Steve Stamkos at the Top Prospects Game. Sauve will likely spend at least one, if not two more years trying to round out his defensive game, however, which has shown itself to be a liability and the main reason Sauve will not go alongside the likes of Luke Schenn and Tyler Myers in the top 10 in this year’s draft. Projects as a top four defenseman.

46th overall- Danic Paquette, LW, Lewiston MAINEiacs (QMJHL) – Paquette won’t surprise folks with blazing speed or agility or even his size (6’, 209lbs.), but the first time he mashes your face in the boards, you’ll know who he is. Paquette is a very physical winger who is more than willing to throw down with any willing sparring partners. Paquette also has good scoring touch, adding 29 goals, good enough for 3rd on the team, and his 213 penalty minutes make him a pretty intimidating guy. He’s also a humanitarian and founder of the “Danic’s Den” charity which give Lewiston game tickets to underpriveliged families who otherwise would not get to see games. His scoring ability coupled with his fighting ability gives him a two-fold shot at the NHL- as a 2nd/3rd liner or as an enforcer. His humanitarian streak will make him an immediate fan favorite.

75th overall- Patrice Cormier, C, Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL) – Cormier’s stock dropped considerably in the latter portions of the year, but he’s one of the most highly-touted players to come out of the Q this year (HF has him ranked #2 on their top ten Q prospects). The New Brunswick natvie got off to a rough start that saw him pushed down the depth chart, so he never saw much special teams time. Fighting off bouts of inconsistency, Cormier snagged 18 goals and 41 points on Rimouski’s second line. Cormier is a big force in the face-off circle, a key asset for teams looking to improve in the puck control department and something that will help Nashville against archrival Detroit. Cormier has also shown a willingness to put his 6’1”, 200lb frame in the face of opposing players, compiling 84 penalty minutes. Cormier is a very energetic and very skilled young player. If he can shake off the bad year he had and continue to grow, he will make the Predators very happy. Projects as a second line center.

105th overall- Brodie Reid, LW, Burnaby Express (BCHL) – Reid enjoyed a breakout year in the BCHL that earned him a scholarship to Northeastern. His 52 goals were good enough for 2nd in the BCHL this year and his 87 points were good for 5th. The BC produced a lot of promising picks last year, particularly Casey-Pierro Zabotel, Riley Nash, and Kyle Turris, especially the latter pair. Hoping for the same from Reid is a bit much, but he’s still a natural goal scorer and this deep in the draft, he’s worth a shot.

135th overall- Oskars Cibluskis, D, LSPA Riga (Latvian Samsungliga, and no I did not make that up) – A bit of a reach at this position but not much. A steady two-way defenseman who plays in all situations and can put up decent offensive numbers. Is still very young and VERY raw, and it has to be expected for him to move overseas to continue development under the watchful eye of the Predators organization. For the sake of comparison, call him the Latvian Dan Hamhuis (Hamhuis is lightyears ahead of him but he’s still a quality player at his current competitive level). Or perhaps more appropriately, Dana Hamhuisa Latvianaganamadanamedullaoblongata.

165th overall- Toni Ritter, LW, Jungadler Manheim, (Deutsche Nachwuchsliga, top German junior league) – HERE is your powerforward. Ritter stands 6’3” and weighs in at 194 pounds with room to grow. Ritter is strong on the puck and has the ability to find shooting lanes and generate scoring chances by driving the net. He’s not afraid to get his hands dirty either. He’ll need to bulk up a little and is obviously at least 3-4 years away from the NHL, but with the right coaching, Ritter will be an excellent addition to any 3rd line. He actually projects a bit lower, but this being our last pick and there being little chance of him not being available, it’s worth a shot.

If we had one more draft pick, I would probably look at Edgars Ulescenko (also from LSPA) in the 7th round. He’s a good two-way forward who is great at forcing turnovers and could be a serviceable NHL player. Definitely not a top six guy but a solid 3rd line guy who can eat up PK minutes.

Old
05-30-2008, 01:45 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'd add OUR second to our ninth pick to move up to take Boedker...I'm not a huge Filatov fan.

That said, I'm content to sit still and take Cody Hodgson or Colin Wilson.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 02:12 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I'd add OUR second to our ninth pick to move up to take Boedker...I'm not a huge Filatov fan.
Why not? He's fast, he's a great offensive talent and he's already reportedly commited to playing in North America regardless of where he starts the season. Being fluent in English helps, too.

I wouldn't have a problem with Wilson or Hodgson at 9, but I think the Leafs will take Wilson at 7th and that'll probably give us Boedker.

Old
05-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post

That said, I'm content to sit still and take Cody Hodgson or Colin Wilson.
I'm happy with Beach, Wilson, Hodgison, or Boedeker to be honest, and I know we will get 1 of those four, possibly 2.

05-30-2008, 03:22 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I'm happy with Beach, Wilson, Hodgison, or Boedeker to be honest, and I know we will get 1 of those four, possibly 2.
I wouldn't mind a move to get 3 1sts if beach really does fall in the 20's

Old
05-30-2008, 03:23 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
I wouldn't mind a move to get 3 1sts if beach really does fall in the 20's
In all reality, we have 3 1sts: 9th, 15th, and 31st, which is basically like a 3rd first round pick. Especially since we can grab a guy like Yann Sauve there.

Old
05-30-2008, 03:28 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
In all reality, we have 3 1sts: 9th, 15th, and 31st, which is basically like a 3rd first round pick. Especially since we can grab a guy like Yann Sauve there.
True, but the idea of Staal does intergue me. He projects as a power forward and you know Nashville would love a 6'3" power forward. My only complaint would be if he's lazy.

Old
05-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
True, but the idea of Staal does intergue me. He projects as a power forward and you know Nashville would love a 6'3" power forward. My only complaint would be if he's lazy.
no more lazy ****ers ... the Josef Vasicek experiment failed miserably ... the quote was attributed to the wrong Staal brother ... it was actually Jordan that was heaped all the praise upon by his father & brothers

Old
05-30-2008, 03:42 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
no more lazy ****ers ... the Josef Vasicek experiment failed miserably ... the quote was attributed to the wrong Staal brother ... it was actually Jordan that was heaped all the praise upon by his father & brothers
I know, even if he's a Scott Hartnell clone, I will take a Scott Hartnell clone in the Second round.

Old
05-30-2008, 04:05 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
No. Jared will be a 3rd liner, and that's if he works really hard at it. You can draft Toni Ritter in the 6th round and basically get the same player without the hype.

At 31st, I want Yann Sauve. He's bigger than Weber and plays with just as much intensity. He's got a booming shot, too. Maybe drafting him and bringing him to camp will light a fire under Franson. He has to show improvement this year or he'll get passed by on the depth chart. With our depth on defense it's very possible for Franson to get thrown to the wayside if he can't show constant improvement, especially with the rise of Sulzer and Koistinen.

Paquette isn't really so much of a powerforward as a "beat your face in, in multiple senses" forward. He likes to hit and fight and can score goals. Nobody in the Q wants to mess with this guy. He's the ideal CC forward, for you Preds' board posters, just as Sauve is probably the ideal CC defenseman.

Old
05-30-2008, 04:45 PM
oreilly22

I think that we should make the most out of this situation and, if at all possible, sign wheeler

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 04:58 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
I think that we should make the most out of this situation and, if at all possible, sign wheeler
Yeah that's not gonna happen. Nice thought, though.

Old
05-30-2008, 05:18 PM
oreilly22

Quote:
Yeah that's not gonna happen. Nice thought, though.
Yeah, he's probably thinking minny or Detroit huh? Cause if Phoenix offered him the rookie max there's a pretty good chance he wants to be on the team of his choice.

Old
05-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'll be very pissed if he signs with Detroit.......

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:30 PM
predhead1

Does anyone think that the only thing precluding us from making a move for a proven top-6 forward is the self-imposed salary constraint? It seems like we aren't able to spend to the cap, just due to the economics of the owners. I'd like to see us package some picks and one of the defensemen to pull in some talent, but I guess it's unlikely to happen based on the expected salary of such a player, especially when combined with the new RFA contracts.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 05:20 PM
oreilly22

Quote:
Originally Posted by predhead1 View Post
Does anyone think that the only thing precluding us from making a move for a proven top-6 forward is the self-imposed salary constraint? It seems like we aren't able to spend to the cap, just due to the economics of the owners. I'd like to see us package some picks and one of the defensemen to pull in some talent, but I guess it's unlikely to happen based on the expected salary of such a player, especially when combined with the new RFA contracts.
Oh yeah definitely. I do, however, doubt that it is holding us back this year as much as in years past though... I just kinda don't see, realistically anyway, anything we would could truly use that would be up for trade though. You do never know sometimes, however. I wouldn't think a team like San Jose would have been able to get a player like Joe Thornton, over other teams anyway. I understand that he was probably one of those guys that needed a change of scenery. Maybe there's some player out there that does this year.

Old
05-31-2008, 11:31 PM
bngkiller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I'll be very pissed if he signs with Detroit.......
it would be a bit of fresh air to calm the people still gruelling over the matthias trade

bngkiller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 12:00 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by predhead1 View Post
More accurately, the 3 million dollar anchor that is Steve Sullivan

Old
06-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
More accurately, the 3 million dollar anchor that is Steve Sullivan
what a cluster **** deal that turned out to be

Old
06-01-2008, 02:10 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
what a cluster **** deal that turned out to be
I don't see how Sullivan is huring us. He's on long-term IR, so he shouldn't be counting against the cap. And also, the Pred's insurance should be covering his salary right now, so it's not like he's a finanical burden to ownership.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote