HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mara VS Pitkanen

Old
05-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Fataldogg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlueJay View Post
It's not just that, every pass they make is right on the tape of their offense. Seeing the crushing D explode hits daily, just make me extremely envious.

Staal could be the one for both, one day. The rest, bah.
Staal will be a nice mixture when he has matured in a few years. I expect to see big improvement from him next year. IF the kid worked on his shot he could already be a lethal threat at the blue line. His shot isn't too hard nor accurate. I hope he works on that most and puts on just a few pounds. That kid could be a very complete defense man. But, Lidstrom is the premium mix, Rafalski is a nice mix, Kronvall is a bone crushing hitting defense man, Stuart can do both. When I see Detroit's D move around the puck on the PP and the hits they throw I was thinking "Wow, we would have beat the Pens if we even had TWO of their guys playing for us like they play for Detroit."

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:26 PM
NYR Viper

i wouldnt mind seeing him in the pp next year...i think the only reason he wasnt put on it thisyear was because there was no pp qb onthe point to feed him and he is a very one-dimensional player from the point(hard slapshot)......if the rangers could get liles or redden(for 5.5-6) i would like to bring mara back for his hard low shot and have him tee-off on the gomez, drury, dawes pp

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 01:37 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Renney didn't play Mara as he should have been played. Mara is a complete defense man. He has a great shot, physical on the boards, can skate well, and throw a hit. Renney was a fool for treating him as a second fiddle to the likes of Mara and Girardi. Especially when Renney refused to play him for the first 60 games of the season on the PP? Ridiculous. Or how Strudwick would play in place of him? Ridiculous. Mara was an Olympic skater for team USA and a 45PT defense man in Boston. If I was him I wouldn't resign here because his assets could be contributed better else where. I wish we do resign him and use him as he should be used. But if we aren't we might as well sign someone else in the hopes Renney will use them as they should be used.
Well said. To play Mara correctly would require Renney to break up Tyutin and Girardi or play Mara with Staal--he needs 2nd pair minutes to be effective. And regular power play time too.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 07:15 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Well said. To play Mara correctly would require Renney to break up Tyutin and Girardi or play Mara with Staal--he needs 2nd pair minutes to be effective. And regular power play time too.
That's something I believe should be done. By the end of the year, I don't think that defense pairing was all that good. I'd re-sign Mara, put him next to Girardi, and, I'd target Redden, to play next to Staal, which would give the Rangers a legit top-pairing on D, that could play big minutes. And, you then could either pair Tyutin with Potter, or use him as trade bait to upgrade at top six forward.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 09:34 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
Mara is a decent defender and I do think that it would cost too much to bring in Pitkanen but you guys are crazy if you actually think Mara is the better defenseman.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:24 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Mara is the most overated player among Ranger fans since like two years ago.
I believe that would be Prucha

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
I believe that would be Prucha
He's overrated only in the sense that we think other teams value him as if he was just coming off his rookie season.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 10:44 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
That's something I believe should be done. By the end of the year, I don't think that defense pairing was all that good. I'd re-sign Mara, put him next to Girardi, and, I'd target Redden, to play next to Staal, which would give the Rangers a legit top-pairing on D, that could play big minutes. And, you then could either pair Tyutin with Potter, or use him as trade bait to upgrade at top six forward.
Overall, I like it (although that means it will never happen). But who plays with Potter--who I don't think makes the Rangers out of training camp--if you trade Tyutin?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote