HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wade Redden

Old
05-31-2008, 03:36 AM
WeezyHabFan

vCash: 500
Wade Redden

Now perhaps i may be drunk but im pretty sure ever yoyones talking about how Mr. Wade Redden is moving away from Ottawa pretty soon. Now i may be a dreamer but if we could aquire him dont you think our defence would be pretty sick?

Komi - Markov
Redden - Gorges
Hammer - Obyrne

now to me that looks like a completely solid defence.

Now what do you think we would have to do to get Redden?

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 03:39 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
No..

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 03:40 AM
WeezyHabFan

good response champ, thanks for the input

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 03:50 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Sorry dude, but redden has been on the decline for the last little while. Besides, you don't put Hamrlik on the third pairing...nor do you put georges ahead of Hamrlik.

Whoever gets redden will be wasting their cap space.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 04:31 AM
Tusk

It's a shame, he was really that good for a little while.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 04:42 AM
peperebougon*

He was too good to be finished... he probably needs a change of scenery. The habs are ok and don't need to take the risk... I'd sign Orpik instead.

edit: If we were to land him on a good to very good contract, I'd be happy too. He has to be a plan D at least though...We could use a good player or too this year to help the team and put less pressure on the kids. We have to replace Ryder, Breezer, Smoke and maybe Streit(the only one I'd keep) and Dandenault. I don't see really who could step in the system at the exception of Chipchoo. Maybe D'agostini but he could use another year or too in the minors as do Valentenko. We already have a very young team filled with guys with no beard. We need some more experience and leadership. That is why I hope not more than one young bulldog player makes the team. And that is chipchoo. Maybe stewart...I kinda liked him. What's the rush???? Having vets who can take players under his wing (hamrlik style) makes you a better team and leave marks that last long after they are gone.

Instead of signing another smolinski though, I'd like to give some prospects a chance, no problem there.

Last edited by peperebougon*: 05-31-2008 at 04:58 AM.
peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 04:54 AM
Chainsaw

Maybe a fresh start could do wonders for Redden. Think Ed Jovanovski to Vancouver from Florida

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 06:35 AM
JrHockeyFan

I think that we can do better. Redden has declined.

76th in Hits. 85th in Blocks, 86th in takeaways. Not great numbers. Definitely not a Carbo type D man

Our defensemen Markov, Hamr and Komi ranked 1st 10th and 11th in giveaways, which is terrible. We need to improve there. Guess who was ranked 12th?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 07:36 AM
Fozz

Even before his decline of the last few years, I though Redden was one of the most overrated players in the NHL.
So, no thanks.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 07:50 AM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

if the price is right. under 3M

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 09:03 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

The problem with Redden is that he's still just good enough, just young enough that some really desperate team will probably roll the dice and pay him some pretty good cash for a pretty long time. And maybe it will pan out for them too. Who knows. But if you're talking something like a $20M/4yr deal to get Redden, then I'd have to say no thanks. I don't think we're in the position of desperation for that player that some other teams might be. The risk isn't worth the reward to us.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 09:05 AM
Carbo N8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
if the price is right. under 3M
That's the key, he might be worth a gamble short term for that kind of money, but, he is going to get more & maybe long term elsewhere. His game has declined dramatically and I don't think a change of scenery is going to fix it. There are others who are less of a gamble than Redden.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 09:08 AM
BLONG7

Change of Scenery= Turnaround? Very very possible...this guy is talented...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 09:23 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Only at a cheap price and a short deal.

I'd take him over Brisebois any day of the week.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 09:24 AM
Pascal

1 yr contract with a 2nd as an option to the team. But we all know agents don't go for those. :p

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 09:26 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I think that we can do better. Redden has declined.

76th in Hits. 85th in Blocks, 86th in takeaways. Not great numbers. Definitely not a Carbo type D man

Our defensemen Markov, Hamr and Komi ranked 1st 10th and 11th in giveaways, which is terrible. We need to improve there. Guess who was ranked 12th?
Streit?

Interesting numbers for sure.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 09:31 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

First Sundin and now Redden? What is it with you guys who want us to become a geriatric team and pick up any old over the hill player in the league? If we pick from the UFA pool it would have to be a much better and younger player than Redden...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 09:32 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
First Sundin and now Redden? What is it with you guys who want us to become a geriatric team and pick up any old over the hill player in the league? If we pick from the UFA pool it would have to be a much better and younger player than Redden...
Yeah, Sundin the geriatric who could hand any of our players their lunch physically.

Old
05-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Yeah, Sundin the geriatric who could hand any of our players their lunch physically.
Its his attitude i dont like and he's getting married soon and everyone knows he wants out of hockey. He's looking for a one year jackpot of a contract , thats all.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 09:38 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Its his attitude i dont like and he's getting married soon and everyone knows he wants out of hockey. He's looking for a one year jackpot of a contract , thats all.
Well if worthless scrubs like Smolinski, Breezer, Dandy, etc. are worth Gillette's money, then Sundin is certainly deserving.

Old
05-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
A One year jackpot guaranteed to fetch us a 70+ point player with usually 30 goals. Worth it to me.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 10:17 AM
Brisk-Illusion

UFAs are free players and they are critical in building a successful team in the post-lockout NHL.

What's the deal with this "well that player is a lot better than what have have now, and make us a better team, and we can fit him under the cap, but... nah, I don't like him" attitude ?

Gainey should and will try to sign most high-profile UFAs, just like he tried last year and the year before. If we're lucky enough that one of them wants to come here, Gainey should and will make happen.

Btw, for a team that had to use Brisebois as #4 d for a good part of the season, Redden is nothing to laugh at.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 10:31 AM
znk

There are tons of better options. That guy lost it.....Sens fans cant wait to get rid of him. And omg is he ever soft....

O'byrne is ready for a full season, Valentenko might be ready for a shot.... plus all of our other prospects on D.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 10:34 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
UFAs are free players and they are critical in building a successful team in the post-lockout NHL.

What's the deal with this "well that player is a lot better than what have have now, and make us a better team, and we can fit him under the cap, but... nah, I don't like him" attitude ?

Gainey should and will try to sign most high-profile UFAs, just like he tried last year and the year before. If we're lucky enough that one of them wants to come here, Gainey should and will make happen.

Btw, for a team that had to use Brisebois as #4 d for a good part of the season, Redden is nothing to laugh at.
You're not talking about a Redden are you?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:09 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
I wouldnt mind Redden, but not at top-d money obviously. On a short contract, i think he's definitely a gamble worth a try.

Habs defensemen are ask to move the puck fast which is why you'll see a lot of giveaways. Gives the offense more space when it works however.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote