HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blake Wheeler to become a UFA this summer

Old
05-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Vlad The Impaler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
How are they stupid because Wheeler turned out to be an Eli Manning, Eric Lindros type juvenile, who feels the NHL owes him something because of his skills, which are average at best.
They were stupid because Wheeler was very obviously a raw, docile and infantile individual that needed a tremendous amount of work as far as skills, body and mind were concerned. They would know this when they drafted him because many of us on the outside already knew that and them being on the inside, should have known that too.

The difference with a Lindros is that while Big E was just as much of a numbnut mentally, his body and skills were ready to be a NHLer on a scoring line as early as 17 years old.

Drafting a low percentage player that requires a ton of work this early is always the wrong decision. Especially when the upside isn't all that great.

Gretzky and the Coyotes ****ed up. As usual.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 03:54 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Still, it can't hurt to take a chance on the kid.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
Gretzky and the Coyotes ****ed up. As usual.
That's a good way to put it, I figured that era was over when Mike "let's make a deal" Barnett left. There's more wrong with the Coyotes then I thought.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 04:13 PM
kernkraft

It'd be cool, if only for weight/height purposes:

S.Kostitsyn(6'0 196)-Plekanec(5'10 194)-A.Kostitsyn(6'0 200)
Higgins(6'0 200)-Koivu(5'10 187)-Kovalev(6'1 224)
Wheeler(6'4 220)-Lapierre(6'2 200)-Latendresse(6'2 222)
Stewart(6'2 200)/Begin(6'0 187)-Chipchura(6'2 204)-Kostopoulos(6'0 200)/D'Agostini(6'0 201)

Markov(6'0 204)-Komisarek(6'4 240)
O'Byrne(6'6 228)-Harmlik(6'2 215)
Gorges(6'1 195)-Bouillon(5'8 196)

Average (6'1 206)

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Louis Houde

Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
Wheeler is a rw

Louis Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Bad attitude = no pursuit by Canadiens.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Russians View Post
Bad attitude = no pursuit by Canadiens.
Is it that bad or is it just his agent that wants more money? We tend to judge a player's attitude by what we read and it could easily be a misconception.

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
Is it that bad or is it just his agent that wants more money? We tend to judge a player's attitude by what we read and it could easily be a misconception.
I dont know, but his intangibles would fit in well with our team to say the least.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 07:05 PM
ControlFreak

Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Captain Planet! He's a hero! ... (that's all I remember from the early '90s)

"By YOUR powers combined, I am Captain Planet!"

Say whatever you want about the show, but Gaia was HOT!
Gaia the Earth Mother? Someone likes cougars

ControlFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I can't see the harm in trying to sign him. I remember reading on here somewhere -- correct me if I'm mistaken -- that Montreal's Minnesota scout, the guy responsible for turning the Habs onto Fischer and McDonagh, was the guy mainly responsible for Phoenix drafting Wheeler.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Habs prepared an offer. They targeted Lahti last year. They went after Brunnstrom. They went after Brock Trotter and seemed fairly pleased with themselves when they signed him. Winning teams are always looking for ways to add assets without giving anything up. Sometimes you get a Rafalski. Sometimes you get a Dopita.

As for Wheeler's intentions, who knows. Montreal is about a foreign a city as there is in North America (to an American), but it's a great place to play hockey. There are also a lot of US born players on the team and in the organization. It's not like he would find himself all alone in a strange land, holding his lunchbox timidly. Still, I think Toronto (and other organizations) would probably have a better chance.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 11:01 PM
henri2014

Maybe he wants to play for a winning franchise. Phoenix isnt a good team, they are getting better but if you have the choice to play for another franchise you should. I think its a fair bet to say that there is plenty of better in the league. Like for Burnstrom we have nothing to loose, its even better then for Burnstrom.

Does he have to accept a 2-way deal?

henri2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post
If Blake Wheeler is our biggest acquisition of the summer i'll ****ing break something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside Habs Fan View Post
Break something.....

I would probably kill something....or two.
That just means we ice the team who won the Eas this year with Price taking all the starts.

... I can live with that, for sure.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 02:03 AM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlFreak View Post
Gaia the Earth Mother? Someone likes cougars
Hmmm, she's more like 4.5 billion years old, which makes her like... I don't know... a tiger?

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 02:48 AM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
That's a good way to put it, I figured that era was over when Mike "let's make a deal" Barnett left. There's more wrong with the Coyotes then I thought.
Barnett drafted Wheeler no?

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 09:14 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
His agent said it's not about the money, I believe he'll get less money now in the rookie max.

Anyway sounds like a moot point cause the rumor is that he wants to sign with the Wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henri2014 View Post
Does he have to accept a 2-way deal?
Yes he has to sign a 2 way deal.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 09:18 AM
Blades 0f Steel

He can be signed June 9th, no?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 09:21 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby View Post
He can be signed June 9th, no?
As far as I know not until July 1st.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Uwey

Maybe the kid should be seen as being a very intelligent kid rather than a problem child. Maybe he looked closely at the Phoenix organization & didn't like what he saw??? Maybe he felt going to a better organizeted franchise would be the better route to developing into a true NHl player. Apparently he knew or knows that many who take this path rarely move up the pay scale of prospects or depth of the organization they are to be signed by. Maybe he felt that a season or two in the AHL would better prepare him for his NHL career rather than just jumping head first into the Phoenix mess on the ice.

I'm thinking this kid is probably a heck of a lot smarter than most are giving him credit for.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 09:50 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
As far as I know not until July 1st.
Well my understanding is that the Coyotes had a window of a month to sign him(starting May8th).

Seeing as he left University,will not be signed by Phoenix and is not draft eligible, doesn't that put him in the same position that Trotter and Danis were(not to mention Brunnstrom)? I thought only members of the NHLPA were subject to the July 1st rule.

Old
05-31-2008, 10:01 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
Maybe the kid should be seen as being a very intelligent kid rather than a problem child. Maybe he looked closely at the Phoenix organization & didn't like what he saw??? Maybe he felt going to a better organizeted franchise would be the better route to developing into a true NHl player. Apparently he knew or knows that many who take this path rarely move up the pay scale of prospects or depth of the organization they are to be signed by. Maybe he felt that a season or two in the AHL would better prepare him for his NHL career rather than just jumping head first into the Phoenix mess on the ice.

I'm thinking this kid is probably a heck of a lot smarter than most are giving him credit for.
While I don't know about how smart he is(he did pass up the bigger signing bonus+more money from the old CBA), but he's determined to map his own course. What I don't like is the fact that he's privileged enough to get a scholarship, be drafted and mentored by an NHL franchise for 4 years, gets a chance to live his dream and he still plays the "I want to be in full control of my destiny" card. It's not like he was drafted by the Ballard era Leafs.

Now it's within the realm of possibility that he actually signs in Europe or Russia...or pursues a different career altogether for whatever reason. That's noble, I can respect that, but if he signs with Minnesota I'll know he's a spoiled brat.

My guess is he signs with Minny or Pittsburgh.

Old
05-31-2008, 10:15 AM
Uwey

Well unlike Canadian junior hockey, I'm not sure what you mean by mentored by an NHL franchise, because correct me if I'm wrong, but he cannot participate in any NHL franchise camps, rookie or other development, for anymore than 48hrs, if at all & that all $$$ must be paid solely out of his pocket, including insurances or he fore goes his US college eligibility??

OUI???

Old
05-31-2008, 10:16 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Well unlike Canadian junior hockey, I'm not sure what you mean by mentored by an NHL franchise, because correct me if I'm wrong, but he cannot participate in any NHL franchise camps, rookie or other development, for anymore than 48hrs, if at all & that all $$$ must be paid solely out of his pocket, including insurances or he fore goes his US college eligibility??

OUI???
His college eligibility is through. I believe he's played four years of college, correct?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 10:17 AM
Uwey

True, but I was eluding to the previous four summers.

Old
05-31-2008, 10:26 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:

OUI???
He has NHL scouts monitoring his progress, talking to him after some games and offering advice, and I'm sure he's been to rookie camps.

Old
05-31-2008, 10:34 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
That just means we ice the team who won the Eas this year with Price taking all the starts.

... I can live with that, for sure.
There is no guarantee Kovy repeats his success from last year so that's why it would be important to add another star such as Hossa, Sundin, etc.

Also we aren't playing to win the Eastern Conference in the regular season, we are playing to win the Stanley Cup and last year showed we are a couple players away from doing that.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote