HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Kelly

Old
05-30-2008, 12:16 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Chris Kelly

I know we dont need another 4th liner but he is the same age as betts and more offensive.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...e=nhl-senators

we can use betts as bait. not saying he has much value but if we can upgrade scoring from our bottom lines it must be done. Kelly is also good on faceoffs and plays pk

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 12:18 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

No thanks. He isn't as good of a penalty killer as Betts.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 12:24 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
No thanks. He isn't as good of a penalty killer as Betts.
true but hed add more offense to our team. we got other good penalty killers.

Old
05-30-2008, 12:36 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I think we need a upgrade over Betts but Kelly is not the answer. Pass.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:27 AM
NYR469

we do NOT need an upgrade over betts. betts has turned into one of the best 4th line centers in the league, he's fantastic on the PK and hugely underrated...the place we need on upgrade on the 4th line is the wingers. betts is between echlers, but him with 2 guys that can skate and the line would be greatly improved.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:42 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
we do NOT need an upgrade over betts. betts has turned into one of the best 4th line centers in the league, he's fantastic on the PK and hugely underrated...the place we need on upgrade on the 4th line is the wingers. betts is between echlers, but him with 2 guys that can skate and the line would be greatly improved.
sjostrom an echl he scored more goals than Betts ever did and has alot more natural skill, too bad he is like dvorak and shows it once in a while

Old
05-30-2008, 09:10 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Is the answer to this team's problems really upgrading Blair Betts?

05-30-2008, 09:11 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
I know we dont need another 4th liner but he is the same age as betts and more offensive.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...e=nhl-senators

we can use betts as bait. not saying he has much value but if we can upgrade scoring from our bottom lines it must be done. Kelly is also good on faceoffs and plays pk
Look at his salary. Look at Betts'.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:12 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
sjostrom an echl he scored more goals than Betts ever did and has alot more natural skill, too bad he is like dvorak and shows it once in a while
betts played with sjostrom only a few games...the 4th line was hollweg-betts-orr for the majority of the year

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:26 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
i love what betts brings to the table...he's cheap and effective and seems to be a good team guy. So long at he's not stealing minutes away from guys that should be scoring on the top 3 lines, we should accept his lack of scoring the same as we accept his great penalty killing. Not to mention I,d love to see him play a season with someone other than hollweg (not that i think his numbers would shoot up or anything, but we may get the occasional 4th line goal) who is always out of position off trying to make a hit...

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 10:47 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
that was about what i was thinking...
betts imho is the 4th line center with the best performance per dollar rating by far, so we better keep him

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 11:14 AM
RANGERS2448

Betts is the last guy i would want to lose

RANGERS2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 11:38 AM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERS2448 View Post
Betts is the last guy i would want to lose
Lundqvist.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Nich

dude...seriously????? what are you smoking? and where can i get some.

of course we didn't advance farther in the playoffs due to Blair's lack of offensive ability.....

say it with me, the 4th line is not meant to score, it is meant to keep the other team from scoring......man what a glutton for punishment.....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 01:21 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I'll revise my statement. We don't need to upgrade Betts. He is not or near our biggest problem. I'm not so sure better wingers would enhance his offensive ability. I've seen him botch enough scoring opportunities to think so. His defense and PK are stellar and his salary value is great. It'd be nice if he had an extra step in his skating but that's really nitpicking. His offense however really is lacking. If he was putting up 30 points a season, I would definitely say that he is perfect 4th liner.

Chris Kelly is not the answer because while he can score 30 points and kill penalties and probably skates better than Betts, I doubt he is better that Betts is on defense and PK and will likely demand a 2nd line center type of contract. Plus Kelly plays 2nd line type minutes so putting him on the 4th line would just be dumb.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 03:46 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Betts has more value than you'd imagine these days.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 06:52 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Blair Betts is one of the most valuable players on this team for what he does..there's no reason to replace him.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 07:44 PM
NYR Viper

looking at this team, if the rangers werent to bring jagr back, he would most likely get an "A".....he has a lot more value than people think around here and while it would be nice to get more production out of the 4th line, i think he could produce more if he had two actual linemates....and while i like orr, he isnt offensive at all

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:37 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Clearly. The problems of this team stem from Hollweg & Betts. Replace them and all is well.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 11:20 PM
blandBob

Betts is a very effective player. And he is worth two or three, maybe four Sjostroms (now there is a guy who is marginal). We'd miss Betts if we got rid of him.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 11:43 PM
NYReign

Absolutely right about Sjo being marginal, at least from what we have seen thus far... This is coming from a Sjo fan but aside from two timely goals he did next to nothing. Granted he played with Betts (who I am in no rush to get rid of, just acknowledging he's next to useless on offense) and Hollweg/Orr (useless on offense) for the better part of his stay here. I think they will bring Sjo back based on his friendship with Hank, his inclusion in team marketing (that's a signal to me that he'll be around at least next year) and the high price we paid for him (I'll be very pissed if we traded Montoya for cents on the dollar without him ever getting to the NHL for someone who played less than 30 games for us).

To stay on topic, Betts is not in any way marginal and, as many have said, is among the best 4th liners and PKers in the league, especially considering the price. He may not be a playmaker, but he has the occassional offensive spark (see goal vs. Anaheim last season). Considering we pay him for defense and PK, I'll take that. As I mentioned before, it's better than the production we (don't) get from Hollweg and Orr. I know that isn't Orr's role, and while he could fight more I have no problem with him. Hollweg, as we all know, needs to go. I'm certain he isn't the biggest problem with the team but the fact that he managed to become a problem in his five minutes of ice time in multiple games including a must-win playoff game is pathetic and I hope we don't see him in Ranger blue again...

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:11 AM
NYR Viper

i think sjo has the ability to put up 15 goals and 40 points next year if he was to play on the third line...his speed is unreal and he has the ability to forecheck well and get to the puck....he reminds me of afenigenov with more hockey sense and beter defensive awareness

Old
05-31-2008, 11:43 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
he reminds me of afenigenov with more hockey sense and beter defensive awareness
And about 1/10th the natural skill.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:48 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
And about 1/10th the natural skill.
nah...i dont think afinigenov is that skilled....really....he is in an open system in buffalo...plus his hockey IQ is horrible....i think sjostrom could replace all that skill with his hockey IQ because he is a far better all-around player

Old
05-31-2008, 12:25 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
but the fact that he managed to become a problem in his five minutes of ice time in multiple games including a must-win playoff game is pathetic and I hope we don't see him in Ranger blue again...
Again, I really need to ask how is it that the playoff loss is pinned on Hollweg's dumb two minute penalty, but not on Callahan's idiotic 4 minute penalty that also resulted in a goal?

The fact of the matter is that Hollweg hardly ever takes bad penalties. Yes, some of his hits are borderline, but the fact of the matter is that most are completely clean. He is a missle out there. Who else is going hit as much, given the relative little ice time? And this team needs all of the physical, grinding play that it can get.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote