HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Wade Redden

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-31-2008, 10:15 AM
  #26
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Only at a cheap price and a short deal.

I'd take him over Brisebois any day of the week.
As a 7th d-man ? At 6 million a year ?

you are a great accountant !

Of course Redden is superior to Brisebois. But can't you stop hammering on the same nails all the time.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:25 AM
  #27
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
First Sundin and now Redden? What is it with you guys who want us to become a geriatric team and pick up any old over the hill player in the league? If we pick from the UFA pool it would have to be a much better and younger player than Redden...
Is Reddon older than Hamrlick was? Is he more of a risk? No assets for 5 million would solidify the top 4. Trade for an ofeensive dynamo. If no scoring star signs as a free agent the Habs will have to gut the team to acquire one and Redden wouldnt require assets. Kenin Lowe will prolly offer him the moon anyway.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:30 AM
  #28
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Yeah, Sundin the geriatric who could hand any of our players their lunch physically.
and skate better, shoot harder, pass better and has a bigger set of anyone except Saku. Mats is an underappreciated player. He dominates games.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:33 AM
  #29
Brisk-Illusion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Is Reddon older than Hamrlick was? Is he more of a risk? No assets for 5 million would solidify the top 4. Trade for an ofeensive dynamo. If no scoring star signs as a free agent the Habs will have to gut the team to acquire one and Redden wouldnt require assets. Kenin Lowe will prolly offer him the moon anyway.
Agreed

Markov-Komi
Hammer-Redden
Georges-Bouillion

Would rival any defense in the conference.

I wouldn't give Redden more than 2-3 years max tho.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:38 AM
  #30
Uwey
Registered User
 
Uwey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lunenburg, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
Of the two top UFA D-men this summer, I expect Campbell to sign with SJ & Redden to woed to Florida by his former coach Jacques Martin.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:41 AM
  #31
Brisk-Illusion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
But there are no NHL teams in Utah.
You've never been to Utah, have you ?

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:43 AM
  #32
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
and skate better, shoot harder, pass better and has a bigger set of anyone except Saku. Mats is an underappreciated player. He dominates games.
The problem is that 90% of the posters on this message board only watch games the Habs are involved in. Furthermore, I'd argue that a majority don't even pay attention to the opposing teams players. You add those two things together and you get these characters who claim players like Sundin are washed up.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:43 AM
  #33
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
But there are no NHL teams in Utah.
Don't diss Utah; you are obviously not familiar with Mr. Boozer's greatness.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:58 AM
  #34
frederixx
Registered User
 
frederixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,387
vCash: 500
Redden is still a very good defenseman. Ottawa has been trying to trade him for the past 2 years, no wonder he didn't care much about the team anymore.

i would offer him 16m/4y

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 12:51 PM
  #35
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,359
vCash: 500
I'd take a gamble on Redden.
Again it's all about the dollar figure.
If the price is right, say 3mil (in a perfect world right ) for a year or two without a no-trade clause, I think it's worth the gamble.

At best we get a turnaround season from a formerly solid defenceman.
At worse deal him to a desperate team.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 01:04 PM
  #36
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,576
vCash: 500
Yeah, it's a shame, eh? Redden was doing so good, then Chara left.

Redden is from outwest and would more than likely go there.

And his name is Gorges

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 01:50 PM
  #37
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I think that we can do better. Redden has declined.

76th in Hits. 85th in Blocks, 86th in takeaways. Not great numbers. Definitely not a Carbo type D man

Our defensemen Markov, Hamr and Komi ranked 1st 10th and 11th in giveaways, which is terrible. We need to improve there. Guess who was ranked 12th?
They have a ton of giveaways because that's how the habs play. They ask their d-men to start the offence, so it's normal that in the tons of passes they make some of them get caught by the other team. Would you prefer a defensive core like Boston who doesn't give any puck away but has absolutely no transition game?

We got an excellent defence, that's why Gainey isn't really looking for a big time UFA defenceman. I don't understand the amount of critizism the defence get...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 01:50 PM
  #38
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
Agreed

Markov-Komi
Hammer-Redden
Georges-Bouillion

Would rival any defense in the conference.

I wouldn't give Redden more than 2-3 years max tho.
I'd much rather give O'Byrne his chance. I have a question. Did you follow and watch Redden over the past 2 seasons?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 04:03 PM
  #39
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I'd much rather give O'Byrne his chance. I have a question. Did you follow and watch Redden over the past 2 seasons?
have you watched Obyrne?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 04:10 PM
  #40
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
have you watched Obyrne?
Enough to know he needs a roster spot next season. Lets invest in our prospects....if not then you'd better bring in something much better then Redden.

So...we have some fans here who would sacrifice O'byrne to make some place for Redden? Sick.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 04:19 PM
  #41
Guillemin
Registered User
 
Guillemin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,110
vCash: 500
lol, 5.5 million for a third pairing defender.

Nice try.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 09:32 PM
  #42
Kikizaz
Registered User
 
Kikizaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresNoOtherNames View Post
Now perhaps i may be drunk but im pretty sure ever yoyones talking about how Mr. Wade Redden is moving away from Ottawa pretty soon. Now i may be a dreamer but if we could aquire him dont you think our defence would be pretty sick?

Komi - Markov
Redden - Gorges
Hammer - Obyrne

now to me that looks like a completely solid defence.

Now what do you think we would have to do to get Redden?
my problem with signing Wade Redden is that it would cost ALOT. He would most likely get close to what he earned this year. (when was the last time someone took a big pay cut in a UFA year?) So think about this do you want Wade Redden to be the highest paid Montreal Canadiens ever?

Right now our best player is the highest paid. that's how i would like it to stay.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 10:25 PM
  #43
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
my problem with signing Wade Redden is that it would cost ALOT. He would most likely get close to what he earned this year. (when was the last time someone took a big pay cut in a UFA year?) So think about this do you want Wade Redden to be the highest paid Montreal Canadiens ever?

Right now our best player is the highest paid. that's how i would like it to stay.
If someone gives Redden $6.5 million then I don't even want to know what Campbell will get...

And Brisebois took a big pay cut in a UFA year to come here

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 10:50 PM
  #44
Guillemin
Registered User
 
Guillemin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Don't diss Utah; you are obviously not familiar with Mr. Boozer's greatness.
The only team I hate more than the Utah Jazz is the Lakers.

Every single person dressed the same at every game. Reflects how boring the city and state are nicely.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 10:51 PM
  #45
Guillemin
Registered User
 
Guillemin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post

Right now our best player is the highest paid. that's how i would like it to stay.
Roman Hamrlik is our best player?

Awesome.

edit: second best. My bad.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 08:06 AM
  #46
Kikizaz
Registered User
 
Kikizaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Roman Hamrlik is our best player?

Awesome.

edit: second best. My bad.
glad you noticed.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 09:08 AM
  #47
Vasculio
Booya !
 
Vasculio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: La Tuque
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,250
vCash: 500
Redden would give us a very very good top 4 on D, and I also think he just need a change of scenery. He's just too talented and intelligent with the puck to not come back to life.

And, while I agree that I would still prefer Orpik because he's physical and a rock on D, and would be cheaper, Redden, depending on the price, would still be a better addition IMO, puck moving D who are strong in their zone aren't necessarily dime a dozen...

Oh yeah, about O'Byrne, I'm all about letting him develop and all, but seriously, unless he becomes meaner and more aggressive, I don't see what's so special about him, except his size and skating...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 09:27 AM
  #48
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ____
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,575
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
...
Oh yeah, about O'Byrne, I'm all about letting him develop and all, but seriously, unless he becomes meaner and more aggressive, I don't see what's so special about him, except his size and skating...
O'Byrne is doing just like Komisarek did at the beginning of his career and is not hitting much. He will adjust and when he's not scared of taking a bad penalty and watching the game from the stands, well you'll be happy we have him!

With Valentenko, O'Byrne, Komisarek and maybe Orpik, our D is going to be feared all over the league!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 09:28 AM
  #49
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Redden would give us a very very good top 4 on D, and I also think he just need a change of scenery. He's just too talented and intelligent with the puck to not come back to life.

And, while I agree that I would still prefer Orpik because he's physical and a rock on D, and would be cheaper, Redden, depending on the price, would still be a better addition IMO, puck moving D who are strong in their zone aren't necessarily dime a dozen...

Oh yeah, about O'Byrne, I'm all about letting him develop and all, but seriously, unless he becomes meaner and more aggressive, I don't see what's so special about him, except his size and skating...
If BG cant obtain a star offensive weapon building a good D would be a good option however the Habs may be in danger of becoming a Calgary. A trade may make sense. An Orpik would be great but is he a UFA? Obyrne is a rarity in terms of size and skating but will he put it together? Big bodies are often late developers so we can only hope.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 09:31 AM
  #50
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ____
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,575
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
...An Orpik would be great but is he a UFA? Obyrne is a rarity in terms of size and skating but will he put it together? Big bodies are often late developers so we can only hope.
Yes he is, as of this year. And he would bring so much more than Redden imho.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.