HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Kelly

Old
05-31-2008, 02:58 PM
NYReign

vCash: 500
For me, it's the timing. Callahan's penalty was also bad, but you don't go out there with the intention of high sticking someone (shame on him if he did) so even though it was careless, I will give him a pass. Also it happened when the Penguins were dominating us, so no one sees it as a turning point. Hollweg took a penalty when we had all the momentum in the world in the offensive zone (which we had trapped them in for 2 or 3 shifts at that point) and turned the tide of the game back towards Pittsburgh. While Callahan's penalty may have been physically careless, Hollweg's was mentally careless imo and that will always be inexcusable to me. Considering he did something similar that led to a late go-ahead goal against Edmonton (though Drury bailed him out and got us a point that time), it was not a one-time thing and I may be forgetting other instances.

I have no choice but to agree that we are not a very physical team. But I would argue that Hollweg, while he hits, doesn't really deter the other team from fighting back. Few players have any reason to be scared of him (except those who he levels with dirty hits) so I don't think he has as much importance as you're giving him...

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:01 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
For me, it's the timing. Callahan's penalty was also bad, but you don't go out there with the intention of high sticking someone (shame on him if he did) so even though it was careless, I will give him a pass.
Timing? 4 minutes is not 2 minutes. And since a player is responsible for his own stick, his play is as in excusable as Hollweg's. Also, I recall the play. Yes, he did not try to stick the player in the face, but it was still a pretty dumb play. You are choosing to give him a pass becuase you like him better, however, in a one goal game, you cannot possibly have more blame on Hollweg's two minutes as opposed to Callahan's four. Unless you are looking to excuse one player while condemn the other, off course.
Quote:
While Callahan's penalty may have been physically careless, Hollweg's was mentally careless imo and that will always be inexcusable to me.
Whoa, whoa, whoa.....letting your stick swing wildly is being physically careless and hitting someone into the boards is mentally careless? How does that work?
Quote:
Considering he did something similar that led to a late go-ahead goal against Edmonton (though Drury bailed him out and got us a point that time), it was not a one-time thing and I may be forgetting other instances.
Callahan's penalty was not a one time thing either. As I have pointed out, the fact of the matter is that Hollweg's "dumb penalties" are few and far between.
Quote:
I have no choice but to agree that we are not a very physical team. But I would argue that Hollweg, while he hits, doesn't really deter the other team from fighting back.
So what? What player is such a deterent? What player in the league is such a deterent that he will prevent the opposing team from playing a physical game?
Quote:
Few players have any reason to be scared of him (except those who he levels with dirty hits) so I don't think he has as much importance as you're giving him...Few players have any reason to be scared of him (except those who he levels with dirty hits) so I don't think he has as much importance as you're giving him...
I am not giving him importance, I am debating a point. How many truly "dirty" hits has Hollweg had as compared to other players? Like an Orpik? Or a Ruutu? And how many of his major penalties were results of reputation as opposed to fact? That is substence over form. I recall many, many threads damming the refs for handing out a reputation penalty. Who cares how many players are scared of him? For that matter, isn't this the NHL? At last check, there is not one player that causes other players to quake in their skates. One of the nastiest, dirtiest, most physical players that I have ever seen was Bryan Marchment. Probably one of the best open ice hitters that I have ever seen. But a dirty, nasty SOB. Howeve, NO ONE feared to play against his team. And he did not detere a single soul from hitting his team. So again I ask, who cares about non-existent fear? What it boils down to is that on a team like the Rangers, having a physical presensce on the fourth line is important. And there are not many players in the league who hit as much as Hollweg, in his limited ice time.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 04:42 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
I know we dont need another 4th liner but he is the same age as betts and more offensive.
Kelly 4th liner? What?

He is one of the most smartest players in the league, a dynamite third liner who is a defensive monster. He plays on the top line from time to time as the defensive conscious. 4th liners don't get you 30-40 points and if he had any hands to match his hockey IQ he would be a yearly Selke threat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
No thanks. He isn't as good of a penalty killer as Betts.
He's the best on the Sens hands down. He's better then Betts.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 05:02 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Kelly 4th liner? What?

He is one of the most smartest players in the league, a dynamite third liner who is a defensive monster. He plays on the top line from time to time as the defensive conscious. 4th liners don't get you 30-40 points and if he had any hands to match his hockey IQ he would be a yearly Selke threat.

He's the best on the Sens hands down. He's better then Betts.
i agree...although he shouldnt be targeted by the rangers who have A TON of cheap youth coming up who, while might not be as good.....could collectively be better than him...IMO, he is a third liner....and they have too many of them....andhe is too expensive for them right now...betts is fine for his job and the way renney uses him

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote