HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT- Finally finished with Grad School.

Old
05-29-2008, 09:31 PM
In The Flesh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
I'm about 60% finished with my M.S. in Systems Engineering/Engineering Management from Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken. I'm in no rush to finish it though, for two reasons:

1. I have a government job that gives scheduled promotions for the first 3 years (i.e., getting my Masters can't change a thing compensation wise until then).

2. I just got finished re-reading Into the Wild (and watching the movie, which was awesome), and I'm seriously contemplating moving to Alaska to live the simple life. I don't need a Masters degree to kill grizzlies and forage for berries do I?
best book I ever read, easily. don't want to do what he did to the extreme, but would love to travel the country aimlessly, what a thrill.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 10:01 PM
polako

congrats dude!

i also just wrapped up a masters - org psych from nyu. I remember rushing out of class at quarter after eight and sprinting to the subway so that I wouldn't miss the 3rd period of NYR games

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Plato

vCash: 91275
Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
congrats dude!

i also just wrapped up a masters - org psych from nyu. I remember rushing out of class at quarter after eight and sprinting to the subway so that I wouldn't miss the 3rd period of NYR games
How was the curriculum in terms of workload/difficulty? Industrial organizational psychology is something I'm looking into very seriously.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 10:55 PM
polako

it's not bad...really provides a nice balance of core I and O courses, and then it's up to you where you want to focus your interests. Workload is very fair, and most projects are expected to be applied.

Shoot me a pm if you want to know more, I'm happy to discuss it.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 05:40 PM
zaius

binghamton grad here. loved it but i'm taking a year off before joining the grad school madness..

zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 07:22 PM
AK2794

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I just finished my Master in Public Administration (MPA) - Inspectors General from John Jay. I got my undergrad from SUNY Albany in Criminal Justice. John Jay is now one of the top 5 (And basically the only 5) schools that the federal government is hiring for higher up positions (With MPA's), such as analyst positions at GAO. Im currently in the process of applying for a couple of agencies, such as DHS as a fraud examiner and the Dept. of the Interior as a budget analyst. I'm surprised at the amount of money someone like me would get paid right out of school haha. I currently work for JPMorgan Chase, but I want the security (and pension) of a government job haha.
First off, hey to everyone, I've been reading the boards for a few years and finally decided to join.

I got my BS in Criminal Justice from West Chester Univ. of PA, and am really thinking about going for the MPA-Inspector General at John Jay. What kind of jobs would you be suitable for with this degree?

AK2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 10:42 PM
NYR27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaius View Post
binghamton grad here. loved it but i'm taking a year off before joining the grad school madness..
DONT DO IT - go back ASAP, once you are off the horse it is too too hard to get back on

I did 6 years in a row and got my undergrad in El Ed and my MS in Spec Ed - best decision I ever made to do it all in a row, seemed like a pain at the time, but watching my co-workers "attempt" to go back is awful - none of them want to go

NYR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 07:59 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2794 View Post
First off, hey to everyone, I've been reading the boards for a few years and finally decided to join.

I got my BS in Criminal Justice from West Chester Univ. of PA, and am really thinking about going for the MPA-Inspector General at John Jay. What kind of jobs would you be suitable for with this degree?
There really is a lot one can do with the MPA-IG. Just about any federal job that is GS-9 you can do, unless it calls for specific education, such as 24 credits of accounting Most GS-9's salary is between 55K and 70K, depending on the agency. As to what you can specifically do, it really depends on the concentration you choose for the program. My concentration was fiscal policy analysis and oversight. So basically I can work with any government at any level as a policy analyst, program analyst, budget analyst, etc. The IG track is big on fraud prevention and detection, and the guy that is head of that part of the course work is a former West Chester professor actually, Randy Lasalle.

I'm currently going for both a budget related position and some fraud related positions within the federal government right now. Really the toughest part about having the MPA IG is that there really is so much to choose from job wise you gotta keep altering you resume to tailor that position you are going for. Not a bad problem to have though.

Any other questions feel free to PM me, i've got a lot more to tell.

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote