HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: Weber watns around 5 million

Old
05-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 500
Rumor: Weber watns around 5 million

Alright here it is

My Family just bought a house in Kelowna. The people living in the house are friends with Shea Weber and are fans of the Rockets. Recently my father was talking with the man who we bought our house from, and he was golfing a week ago with Shea Weber. He said that Weber wants around 5 million a season, but he didn't say how many years.

Sorry no link, you will just have to trust me

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 05:35 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I trust that, it sounds fair... I'd love for them to get him locked up for 5 years at that rate.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I trust that, it sounds fair... I'd love for them to get him locked up for 5 years at that rate.
same here ... I think last year was a fluke for him ... especially with the knee cap injury ... we really need a few more dehumidifier machines inside the Sommet

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 05:53 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

I'd really like to see him play one more year like 06/07 before I commit big money... but if that's the only way we can keep him, so be it. But it means we have to get De Vries off the roster to clear payroll so we can keep him and Suter both.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:09 PM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
But it means we have to get De Vries off the roster to clear payroll so we can keep him and Suter both.

The term "win-win" comes to mind.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Weber simply did not play at anywhere near 5 million dollar value last year. Most of that is due to injury, and I do think he will be worth that plus more in the long run.....This contract is going to be very tricky. I'd either go cheap on a 1-2 year deal, or balls to the wall with a 7+ year deal.

05-30-2008, 09:26 PM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Weber simply did not play at anywhere near 5 million dollar value last year. Most of that is due to injury, and I do think he will be worth that plus more in the long run.....This contract is going to be very tricky. I'd either go cheap on a 1-2 year deal, or balls to the wall with a 7+ year deal.

Agreed, but you have to ask yourself which year was the aberration - his rookie season where he played very well both ways, or last season, where he was injured and never really seemed to get on track. I'm betting we'll see more of the former from Weber in the years to come, but I agree that if he's getting 5M per year, you have to go very long-term on the deal to make it worth it.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:27 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 20000
If we dont go long term, someone else will.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:35 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

People are talking about Brooks Orpik getting around 4 mil per. If Nashville could get Weber for 5 on a long-term, they need to push over old ladies to get it done.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:36 PM
God
Free Citizen

From the point of view of an outsider, that's overpayment.

He had a great 06-07 season, but we didn't get to see him play much in 07-08 because of that injury. A one year deal at 3-4 million is probably in Weber's best interests; I can maybe see 5 mil in a long term deal.

God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Guillemin

Most players have enough grace not to discuss their salary demands with people not involved with the league. Those people almost always end up talking to reporters.

There are some very obvious exceptions.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 12:14 AM
hexrae

Give it to him, he draws comparisons of Phaneuf (who is going to earn 6.5 million). No one watches Nashville games, so they don't see how good he really is.

hexrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 12:19 AM
bngkiller*

this is a high risk/high reward situation, if you sign him to a 1 year deal and he puts up 06-07 #'s then he will want more, but if you sign him longterm and he puts up those numbers, poile will look like a genious

bngkiller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 01:11 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
Give it to him, he draws comparisons of Phaneuf (who is going to earn 6.5 million). No one watches Nashville games, so they don't see how good he really is.
Those Phaneuf comparisons are a bit premature.

Phaneuf has pwned the Western Conference for the last 3 years.

Weber has done it consistently for one.

THAT is the reason Phaneuf is getting $6.5M a year contract and it's also the reason Weber should NOT be getting one. There's a difference in paying for potential and overpaying for potential.

I say we sign him to a reasonable deal ($3.5M a year-ish) up until the last year of RFA-eligibility and then sign him to a massive deal in that last RFA year, provided he matches his 06/07 production or at least gets close.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 01:37 AM
koncepts

Send a message via Yahoo to koncepts
is suter and weber RFA's ? have they been given contracts already ?

koncepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 02:51 AM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
I would say around that would be a good deal.

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 07:49 PM
krantan

Quote:
THAT is the reason Phaneuf is getting $6.5M a year contract and it's also the reason Weber should NOT be getting one. There's a difference in paying for potential and overpaying for potential.
$1.5m a year over a 7-8 year (assuming) contract is a really big difference. The difference alone in those salaries would be enough for you and your children to live comfortably even if you never worked another day in your life.

Quote:
I say we sign him to a reasonable deal ($3.5M a year-ish) up until the last year of RFA-eligibility and then sign him to a massive deal in that last RFA year, provided he matches his 06/07 production or at least gets close.
I don't think that gives you much of a discount. You will be much better off in the long run (factoring in the next contract) by locking him up longterm now, unless you are very uncomfortable with his development (ie you think it's very likely there won't be a next contract). It would probably be in the range of $10-12/3 years (~$3.5-4m per) to sign Suter to the type of contract you are talking about, and then if he ends up being the player most expect him to be (ie about where he was 2 years ago) it is going to cost $7-8m per to sign him at that point.

krantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 09:57 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Phaneuf has pwned the Western Conference for the last 3 years.
Correction: Phaneuf's hype has pwned the Western Conference for the last 3 years. Phaneuf's actual game has only been top notch for 1 year. In each of the previous two years, he was solid. But his hype far outmatched his game until this past season.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 02:22 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
If this is true....
I say sign him long term for the 5mil.

Weber came up in mid season in 05-06 and played very well and also played well in the playoffs that year. He followed that up with a strong season in 06-07. Then in 07-08 he had a fluke injury in the first few minutes of the first game then got injured on a horsecollar only a few games back from the original injury and was never really able to get on track offensively. But from a defensive standpoint he played great and was probably one of our best dmen all year. So to me that 5mil is no where near an overpayment for anything right now.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Upchuck19

The Preds are going to have to pay Shea what he wants or he will get it from nummerious other teams. Forget last years injuries, it doesn't matter.

Weber is a Premium Defenseman, if he doesn't get the money in Nashville he will get it somewhere else.

Upchuck19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Street Hawk

Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upchuck19 View Post
The Preds are going to have to pay Shea what he wants or he will get it from nummerious other teams. Forget last years injuries, it doesn't matter.

Weber is a Premium Defenseman, if he doesn't get the money in Nashville he will get it somewhere else.
The cap floor is going to be about $40 million next season. You're going to have to re-sign your RFA dmen to get there, might as well do it now, rather than match an offer sheet.

If you low-ball Weber, his agent could say, screw it, I'm going to shop Weber to the highest bidder. You want him, match a deal.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Pringles

would it be possible Hamhuis or Zidlicky could be traded to make room for Weber/Suter's salary and open a roster spot to one of the youngeer guys?

Pringles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens fan in Toronto View Post
would it be possible Hamhuis or Zidlicky could be traded to make room for Weber/Suter's salary and open a roster spot to one of the youngeer guys?
yes please

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:54 PM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
That would be a good deal.

How about 5 for 5?

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob View Post
That would be a good deal.

How about 5 for 5?