HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-29-2008, 01:21 AM
  #26
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,952
vCash: 500
I would rather have a veteran goalie to support Price. You know a solid guy that will never be a star goalie but would be perfect when Price needs a hand. In the Ron Tugnutt range.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 10:27 AM
  #27
Habitants
Registered User
 
Habitants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,171
vCash: 500
i want him to stick around, and put pressure on price to continue to play well. i want him to prove he is a goalie who is starting calibre. but i expect price to conitue to improve and stay ahead of halak

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 10:46 AM
  #28
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santana View Post
Keeping the bench comfortably warm.


That and coming in every now and then and having solid games. I like Halak, I think he's a pretty decent goalie and makes for a great backup.
I expect halak to one day be 15th to 30th in the NHL goaltending for a solid amount of seasons, with the possibility of being 6th to 15th.

I expect price to one day be at 10th to 15th in the NHL goaltending with the possibility of being 1st to 5th. So far good young goaltenders are few and far between imo.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 11:45 AM
  #29
Arctic_Hab_Fan
Registered User
 
Arctic_Hab_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
There's no chance Price will be in the NHL if he's not starting close to 60 games. At this stage in his development it's crucial that he see a ton of action.

Gainey and his management crew are too shrewd, too patient, and too smart to take a 20 year old goaltender, stick him in the NHL and not have him play.

Barring a major injury there no chance Price will split games next season. It would be way too detrimental to his development as a pro.
First off, I like Price I believe him to be the Corner stone goalie of the organization but nothing in his short career dictates his ready to be played as a Workhorse in the same light as Brodeur, Luongo or Turco quite the Contrary, these playoffs showed me he tires. Its been a long 'season' for him, he wasn't ready physically nor Mentality for the grind of a long season.

In another post, you tell us Gainey is Shrewed, too Patient for Price not to play 60 games or more (quite a contradictory statement). I believe Gainey to be Shrewed and Patient just like yourself, but I also believe he won't tire out Price. He saw first hand what a tired Price plays like.

So in the End, you keep Halak....yes let him aspire to be the Number 1goalie, but do so within this Organization not elsewhere.

Edit: it took 3 seasons before those workhorses played 50 games or more in one season, I don't see the need for Price to play 60 games this up coming season, there is no need to Rush him. he'll still develop given 40 games or slightly more. And in Patrick Roy's case, he only played 50 games or more in his 5th full season.


Last edited by Arctic_Hab_Fan: 05-29-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 12:01 PM
  #30
habber17
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
i think he will still be the 2nd string but he will have to be good to win a nother cup!

habber17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 12:04 PM
  #31
habber17
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
price is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Next season, to take over number one duties by December.

Ok, let's hope not. Best I can hope for, and I'm confident he'll deliver, is No.1 caliber goaltending for some 25-30 games.
sorry but price is right nobudy is taking his nuber 1 spot

habber17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 12:20 PM
  #32
Sthabs
Registered User
 
Sthabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
i m for a 50 Price 32 Halak type of things

50 game is enough for Price to get in a good game shape and hopefully not be tired mentally, , physically or injured for the PO
32 games are enough for Halak to proove himself and be ready too for the PO.
Bob and Guy went from splitting the net in 2, to banking on 1 goalie, why was Halak not ready last year, and why wasnt he kept in game shape, i ll never understand. It s ok to put your money on 1 goal , but at least have a back up plan if he fails....espcially if the kid s 20. Poor management imo.
And as other said, no need for him to play 60 games now, he ll get there with time...

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 12:25 PM
  #33
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
I expect him to get a good 20 games under his belt. Others expect him to go back to the AHL for Olaf Kolzig. Those people shouldn't talk.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 02:19 PM
  #34
shortcat1
Registered User
 
shortcat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Downtown Palau, ON
Country: Palau
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHfan1990 View Post
I expect a goalie controversy to stir up at some point next season between Halak and Price.

A goalie controversy in Montreal? Surely you jest. Such stuff never happens.

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 02:42 PM
  #35
Kaptain Bégin
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Québec, Quebec
Posts: 625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Another Andy Moog. With no playoff time he will demand a trade in 2 years.
Exactly what I expect/hope. Next year, I think he will play something between 25 and 35 games. They're no need to play Price more than 55 games. We want him in shape for the playoff. And I think we can hope for .905 to .915 % of efficacity. He will make a name for himself against a couple of team and stole a couple of games.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 05:34 PM
  #36
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
First off, I like Price I believe him to be the Corner stone goalie of the organization but nothing in his short career dictates his ready to be played as a Workhorse in the same light as Brodeur, Luongo or Turco quite the Contrary, these playoffs showed me he tires. Its been a long 'season' for him, he wasn't ready physically nor Mentality for the grind of a long season.

In another post, you tell us Gainey is Shrewed, too Patient for Price not to play 60 games or more (quite a contradictory statement). I believe Gainey to be Shrewed and Patient just like yourself, but I also believe he won't tire out Price. He saw first hand what a tired Price plays like.

So in the End, you keep Halak....yes let him aspire to be the Number 1goalie, but do so within this Organization not elsewhere.

Edit: it took 3 seasons before those workhorses played 50 games or more in one season, I don't see the need for Price to play 60 games this up coming season, there is no need to Rush him. he'll still develop given 40 games or slightly more. And in Patrick Roy's case, he only played 50 games or more in his 5th full season.
First of all, it seems odd that you feel the reason Price stumbled in the Philadelphia series is because he was tired.

How do you pretend to know that?

Secondly, it's just ridiculous to compare Price to Roy. In the era that Roy broke into the league, the late 1980's, it was EXTREMELY rare for *any* goalies to play more then 50 games. Platoons were the order of the day, so your comparison is irrelevant.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 05:37 PM
  #37
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
First of all, it seems odd that you feel the reason Price stumbled in the Philadelphia series is because he was tired.

How do you pretend to know that?
Price admitted it. Melanson wouldn't even let him practise later in the series because of Price's mental and physical fatigue.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 05:47 PM
  #38
Arctic_Hab_Fan
Registered User
 
Arctic_Hab_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
First of all, it seems odd that you feel the reason Price stumbled in the Philadelphia series is because he was tired.

How do you pretend to know that?

Secondly, it's just ridiculous to compare Price to Roy. In the era that Roy broke into the league, the late 1980's, it was EXTREMELY rare for *any* goalies to play more then 50 games. Platoons were the order of the day, so your comparison is irrelevant.
First of all, I don't pretend to know.

He played a whole season in the WHL, backstopped Canada to Gold, finished WHL regular season, went up to AHL and Played right up to the Calder Cup...then the Cycle begun much earlier then his use to.

Secondly, it doesn't matter what Era we're talking about...No kid is ready to play as many games as you propose. Look up some stats of very good goalies...they didn't become work horses in just their second season.

Lastly, Price himself said he was drained...He didn't want to see his equipment for awhile...that statement is telling!

I didn't pull this out of my arse as you seem to suggest.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 05:03 PM
  #39
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
First of all, I don't pretend to know.

He played a whole season in the WHL, backstopped Canada to Gold, finished WHL regular season, went up to AHL and Played right up to the Calder Cup...then the Cycle begun much earlier then his use to.

Secondly, it doesn't matter what Era we're talking about...No kid is ready to play as many games as you propose. Look up some stats of very good goalies...they didn't become work horses in just their second season.

Lastly, Price himself said he was drained...He didn't want to see his equipment for awhile...that statement is telling!

I didn't pull this out of my arse as you seem to suggest.
Right on !

Anything can happen over a season. Price might be injured early, and the Habs are gonna need a quality goaltender to take the place.

Halak must stay. And I still hope that he's gonna be given a chance to show his stuff. He will become a number 1 goaltender someday. But probably not in Montreal.

I really hope that they are going to give the goal to the best goalie during the next training camp.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 09:25 PM
  #40
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
First of all, I don't pretend to know.

He played a whole season in the WHL, backstopped Canada to Gold, finished WHL regular season, went up to AHL and Played right up to the Calder Cup...then the Cycle begun much earlier then his use to.

Secondly, it doesn't matter what Era we're talking about...No kid is ready to play as many games as you propose. Look up some stats of very good goalies...they didn't become work horses in just their second season.

Lastly, Price himself said he was drained...He didn't want to see his equipment for awhile...that statement is telling!

I didn't pull this out of my arse as you seem to suggest.
You're reeling off the busy season he had *last* year.

And yet, despite how busy that year was, he put together a sensational playoff performance and his dazzling play led to him and his team winning the Championship.

So that, in your mind, proves he was tired *this* year, and that's why his play fell apart against the Flyers?

Okay, if you say so.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 10:02 PM
  #41
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!
 
didouche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,826
vCash: 500
Halak will be on this team for the whole year and will play between 30 and 35 games to help Price become the best goalie he can be/injuries/ because Price cannot play every night he is only 20...

Halak will be a great help and will wait patiently for his turn

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 10:09 PM
  #42
Chainsaw
Registered User
 
Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,795
vCash: 500
Goalie prospects trade value is so poor.

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 10:33 PM
  #43
vipergtsr404
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Not where I want to be.
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vipergtsr404
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
You're reeling off the busy season he had *last* year.

And yet, despite how busy that year was, he put together a sensational playoff performance and his dazzling play led to him and his team winning the Championship.

So that, in your mind, proves he was tired *this* year, and that's why his play fell apart against the Flyers?

Okay, if you say so.
Actually last year for price was like an 2 year marathon of hockey for the kid when you really think about it.

46 games in Ti city then 6 more in the playoffs 2 games in hamilton with 22 more in the playoffs that's a 70 game year that does not include the fact he was playing for Canada in the WJC (6 games)the summer before that marathon began he got say a month off maybe a month and a half then went right into the whole thing again with training camp making the team right out of that camp and playing another 62 games this year (including his 10 in hamilton)and 11 in the playoffs.

total GP the last 2 seasons including the wjc's 149 ......... That is a ton of hockey for a 19/20 year old kid to play the second half of in the most elite league on the planet without experiencing some form of fatigue and mental drain. With a good break this year and a chance to recharge the batteries Halak has no chance of becoming a number one with Carey around IMO.

Trade halak ?? who knows who's right here, the pressure to perform will be greater with a fellow youngster nipping at your heals for the job i'd say keep him until a team comes and looks for him no way would we openly shop him the market just isn't there at the moment.

vipergtsr404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 11:01 PM
  #44
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
I'm expecting Carbo to go with the Win and you're in strategy.
That being said, hopefully we can get a healthy competition going.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 12:11 AM
  #45
Arctic_Hab_Fan
Registered User
 
Arctic_Hab_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergtsr404 View Post
Actually last year for price was like an 2 year marathon of hockey for the kid when you really think about it.

46 games in Ti city then 6 more in the playoffs 2 games in hamilton with 22 more in the playoffs that's a 70 game year that does not include the fact he was playing for Canada in the WJC (6 games)the summer before that marathon began he got say a month off maybe a month and a half then went right into the whole thing again with training camp making the team right out of that camp and playing another 62 games this year (including his 10 in hamilton)and 11 in the playoffs.

total GP the last 2 seasons including the wjc's 149 ......... That is a ton of hockey for a 19/20 year old kid to play the second half of in the most elite league on the planet without experiencing some form of fatigue and mental drain. With a good break this year and a chance to recharge the batteries Halak has no chance of becoming a number one with Carey around IMO.

Trade halak ?? who knows who's right here, the pressure to perform will be greater with a fellow youngster nipping at your heals for the job i'd say keep him until a team comes and looks for him no way would we openly shop him the market just isn't there at the moment.
Nice post, complete with stats...but logic doesn't count here nor does the person you quoted think one's body has to adopt to the rigors he proposes for Price in a short term, because his a know it all.

Again good post.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 01:22 AM
  #46
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,593
vCash: 500
There is going to be a goalie controversy just like every year.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 02:04 PM
  #47
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergtsr404 View Post
Actually last year for price was like an 2 year marathon of hockey for the kid when you really think about it.

46 games in Ti city then 6 more in the playoffs 2 games in hamilton with 22 more in the playoffs that's a 70 game year that does not include the fact he was playing for Canada in the WJC (6 games)the summer before that marathon began he got say a month off maybe a month and a half then went right into the whole thing again with training camp making the team right out of that camp and playing another 62 games this year (including his 10 in hamilton)and 11 in the playoffs.

total GP the last 2 seasons including the wjc's 149 ......... That is a ton of hockey for a 19/20 year old kid to play the second half of in the most elite league on the planet without experiencing some form of fatigue and mental drain. With a good break this year and a chance to recharge the batteries Halak has no chance of becoming a number one with Carey around IMO.

Trade halak ?? who knows who's right here, the pressure to perform will be greater with a fellow youngster nipping at your heals for the job i'd say keep him until a team comes and looks for him no way would we openly shop him the market just isn't there at the moment.
I never disputed he played a lot of hockey two seasons back. That's not open for debate, the numbers are there, it's a fact.

What I disputed was that the reason Price struggled versus the Flyers was because he was fatigued.

That is the original posters OPINION and yet he passed it off here as fact. It's a common malaise here.

For example, this time last year there were countless posts here saying "Kovalev was done." That was their OPINION and yet they passed it off as a statement of fact. They were quite wrong.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 03:22 PM
  #48
Arctic_Hab_Fan
Registered User
 
Arctic_Hab_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 865
vCash: 500
Fact - Price was tired, Rollie didn't let him practice anymore...Price even admitted he was tired but yeah let's pass it off as Opinion.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 04:39 PM
  #49
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
We've seen great hockey tandems over the last years, its very common..Fernandez/Roloson..Bryzgalov/Giguere..Miller/Biron..Nabokov/Toskala..etc..
Price/Halak might just be the next one.
Basically agree...we could have a great tandem for years to come. Would not trade Halak because goalie market is under valued at the present. Great thing to have this kind of depth in net. More value to us this way

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 04:42 PM
  #50
Uwey
Registered User
 
Uwey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lunenburg, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...3-4a0b60656531


At first glance, it would seem that the Canadiens are in great shape in goal for, say, the next decade.

The No. 1 guy is Carey Price, the can't-miss, first-round draft choice with the potential to be one of the greats.

To back him up, you have Jaroslav Halak, who has been the top goaltender in the American Hockey League for the past two seasons.

They have many productive years ahead of them because Price is 20 and Halak is 22. But therein lies the problem. They are ambitious young goaltenders who want to play and there may not be enough games to go around for the two of them.

Price has made it clear he wants to play as many games as possible. With the time and money the team has invested in him, he'll probably start at least 70 games a season.

Halak's agent, Montreal lawyer David Schatia, said that won't leave Halak enough games to be happy.

"The bottom line is that Jaroslav wants to play," Schatia said. "He won't be happy playing 15, 20 games a year."

Schatia said that there were three scenarios for Halak, who is a restricted free agent on July 1:

n He can accept the Habs' qualifying offer - a 10-per-cent raise on his salary of $500,000 - or negotiate a new deal.

n He can pursue employment in Europe.

n Or he can wait to see if another team signs him to an offer sheet.

"We can't say we want him to be guaranteed a certain number of starts because that has to be the coach's decision," Schatia said. "You never know what's going to happen. For example, there were injuries in Pittsburgh this year and Ty Conklin got a chance to play. But, as soon as (Marc-André) Fleury came back, he was the man again. And he should be."

Schatia quickly added he would have felt that way even if Fleury wasn't one of his clients.

Price said he has a good relationship with Halak and the two would be battling for ice time. But the pecking order seemed to be pretty well established after Cristobal Huet was traded to Washington and Price played 15 of the remaining 19 games in the regular season.

Halak said he plans to stay in the NHL, noting that he's young and Europe would still be there if things didn't work out in North America.

It might be in the Canadiens' best interests to consider Plan B. That would involve trading Halak and bringing in a veteran goaltender who would be agreeable to combine a mentoring role with an occasional start.

The patriot game: For some Habs, the season didn't end Saturday night. Six players have, or will join their respective national teams for the World Hockey Championship under way in Halifax and Quebec City.

Brothers Sergei and Andrei Kostitsyn and Mikhail Grabovski didn't waste any time, playing for Belarus against Switzerland yesterday. The Swiss won, 2-1.

Captain Saku Koivu will fill the same role as he joins brother Mikko on Team Finland.

Tomas Plekanec joins the Czech team tomorrow, but won't play until the qualifying round. Ditto for defenceman Andrei Markov, who's shaking off a variety of injuries to join Russia. He will not be joined by former Russian captain, Alex Kovalev. The Russians were already set at forward and will use the two extra spots available tomorrow to add defencemen Markov and Fedor Tyutin.

phickey@thegazette.canwest.com




© The Gazette (Montreal) 2008

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.