HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cap-Hit/Salary Chart 2008-2009 Edition

Old
05-29-2008, 05:13 AM
Rick Deckard

vCash: 500
A lineup I could imagine for next season, assuming a $56.300.000 salary cap:

Simon Gagne (5.25) - Daniel Briere (6.5) - Joffrey Lupul (2.312) -- 14.062
Scottie Upshall (1.225) - Jeff Carter (5.0) - Claude Giroux (0.85) -- 7.075
Scott Hartnell (4.2) - Mike Richards (5.75) - Steve Downie (0.822) -- 10.772
Riley Cote (0.55) - James Dowd (0.5) - Patrick Thoresen (0.6) -- 0.5 + 1.15
UFA (0.5) -- 0.5

Kimmo Timonen (6.33) - Braydon Coburn (1.3) -- 7.63
Mike van Ryn (2.9) - Ryan Parent (0.855) -- 2.9 + 0.855
Jason Smith (2.0) - Randy Jones (1.3) -- 2.0 + 1.3
Lasse Kukkonen (0.875) -- 0.875

Martin Biron (3.5)
Antero Niittymäki (1.225)

Total: 45.994 + 2.45 + 2.9 + 2.0 + 1.0 = $54.344.000

Red: Second pairing, puck moving defenseman: Mike van Ryn is the best option I can think of. He is signed for two more seasons at $2.9 million and he could be available for a package with Umberger as the centerpiece. Van Ryn only played 20 games last season and missed the remainder because of a wrist surgery. Previous to that he had three consecutive seasons with at least 29 points. Other options will be more difficult to aquire (Ryan Suter, Shea Weber, Alexander Edler) or more expensive (Ron Hainsey, Kevin Bieksa).

Blue: Physical defenseman: I hope Derian Hatcher retires and Jason Smith (2.0) signs an extension for four million and two years. Hatcher is to expensive for the 60 games he is available, buying him out is an option but an expensive one (1.17) and we would need to find a way to shed at least another million (cheaper backup, Guenin (0.65) instead of Kukkonen, re-sign RFAs for less ... ). If Smith isn't available for two million I would like to get Mike Commodore (2.0).

Green: Restricted Free Agents: Cote (0.55) and Thoresen (0.6) sign their qualifying offers. Randy Jones (1.3) gets a contract similar to Braydon Coburn.

Brown: Unrestricted Free Agents: Dowd (0.5) signs a new one year contract, another energy player (0.5) will be signed as 13th forward (Ryan Bayda, Jeff Hoggan, Mark Smith ... ).

Modry, Boulerice and Fitzpatrick leave as UFAs, Gauthier will be waived again and Knuble will be moved for picks/prospects at the Draft.

Edit 06/03/07: Kapanen retired, Tolpeko signed in Russia, Dowd replaces Kapanen at the 4th line, an UFA replaces Tolpeko as 13th forward.

Edit 06/20/07: Carter re-signed 3 years, $15 million, Prospal traded for picks (7th '08, 4th '09)

Last edited by Rick Deckard: 06-20-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 09:50 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
A lineup I could imagine for next season, assuming a $56.300.000 salary cap:

Simon Gagne (5.25) - Daniel Briere (6.5) - Joffrey Lupul (2.312) -- 14.062
Scottie Upshall (1.225) - Jeff Carter (5.0) - Claude Giroux (0.85) -- 2.075 + 5.0
Scott Hartnell (4.2) - Mike Richards (5.75) - Steve Downie (0.822) -- 10.772
Riley Cote (0.55) - Patrick Thoresen (0.6) - Sami Kapanen (1.25) -- 1.25 + 1.15
Denis Tolpeko (0.492) -- 0.492

Kimmo Timonen (6.33) - Braydon Coburn (1.3) -- 7.63
Mike van Ryn (2.9) - Ryan Parent (0.855) -- 2.9 + 0.855
Jason Smith (2.0) - Randy Jones (1.3) -- 2.0 + 1.3
Lasse Kukkonen (0.875) -- 0.875

Martin Biron (3.5)
Antero Niittymäki (1.225)

Total: 42.736 + 7.45 + 2.9 + 2.0 = $55.086.000

Red: Second pairing, puck moving defenseman: Mike van Ryn is the best option I can think of. He is signed for two more seasons at $2.9 million and he could be available for a package with Umberger as the centerpiece. Van Ryn only played 20 games last season and missed the remainder because of a wrist surgery. Previous to that he had three consecutive seasons with at least 29 points. Other options will be more difficult to aquire (Ryan Suter, Shea Weber, Alexander Edler) or more expensive (Ron Hainsey, Kevin Bieksa).

Blue: Physical defenseman: I hope Derian Hatcher retires and Jason Smith (2.0) signs an extension for four million and two years. Hatcher is to expensive for the 60 games he is available, buying him out is an option but an expensive one (1.17) and we would need to find a way to shed at least another million (cheaper backup, Kapanen retires/bought out, Guenin (0.65) instead of Kukkonen, re-sign RFAs for less ... ). If Smith isn't available for two million I would like to get Mike Commodore (2.0).

Green: Restricted Free Agents: Cote (0.55) and Thoresen (0.6) sign their qualifying offers. Randy Jones (1.3) gets a contract similar to Braydon Coburn, Carter (5.0) gets 5 years, 25 million.

Prospal, Modry, Dowd, Boulerice and Fitzpatrick leave as UFAs, Gauthier will be waived again and Knuble will be moved for picks/prospects at the Draft.

Not bad. My only concern is the top line and whether they gel or not, didnt seem to work the short time they played together this year but who knows.

Also, if we get a good 2nd pairing dman that will put up 30 points, I think Jones is expendable and I rather see Kukkonen on the third pairing.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Richards eats souls*

Quote:
"There is an awful lot to like about Jason Smith," Flyers coach John Stevens said Wednesday after meeting with 24 of his players in 10-minute intervals. "He brought an identity back to our team.

"Whether he comes back or not is going to come down to economics."

Smith found plenty of support in the Flyers' locker room, where his teammates are still in awe of his heroic playoff run.

"I cannot say enough good things about him," said Mike Richards, the popular choice as Smith's successor as captain. "I would love to play with him again and I would love for him to be on my team, because I definitely don't want to play against him. I really, really hope that he's back."

Carter said he has never witnessed a playoff performance like the one Smith showed over the past six weeks, wearing ice bags on each shoulder to allow him to play every playoff game.

"When Gator was in Edmonton we heard the stories about how he'd play through everything," Carter said. "But we see it first-hand. The guy's chest was all swelled up. I don't know how he did it."

"You have to see it, because you're never going to hear him complain about it," Richards said. "When your captain is playing through what he did, you can't help but be inspired. You might have a sore shoulder and you look at him and it goes away."

Richards said he hopes the Flyers do not make major changes to the current roster, saying he believes the Flyers can challenge for the Stanley Cup next season with just a few tweaks.
http://www.courierpostonline.com/app.../1017/sports04

I think I'd rather keep Smith and force Hatcher into retirement.

Richards eats souls* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards eats souls View Post
http://www.courierpostonline.com/app.../1017/sports04

I think I'd rather keep Smith and force Hatcher into retirement.
I was the other way around until recently hearing all the great things people are saying about him in the playoffs. I think its easy for us to sit on a computer sayign there are better players available, but honestly, its not always the best players that make a team win. When the guys on a tea are in awe of what he plays through it shows hes a real leader and it might be a good thing to have him for another year or at the most 2. this would allow Cannon a couple years to be ready to sew on the C.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 03:05 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

im pretty sure Cote is a UFA....

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Richards eats souls*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I was the other way around until recently hearing all the great things people are saying about him in the playoffs. I think its easy for us to sit on a computer sayign there are better players available, but honestly, its not always the best players that make a team win. When the guys on a tea are in awe of what he plays through it shows hes a real leader and it might be a good thing to have him for another year or at the most 2. this would allow Cannon a couple years to be ready to sew on the C.
I really think Cannon is doing everything he can to try to get Gator to stay. I'm really starting to think when he said "I'm not ready for the C," he was just sending a message to management saying "I want you to keep our captain."

Richards eats souls* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
im pretty sure Cote is a UFA....
Riley Cote is an RFA, he played eight NHL games in 06/07, seventy NHL games in 07/08 and three playoff games in 07/08, in total eighty-one NHL games.

That means he played one more game than needed to be an RFA and not an UFA Group VI.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards eats souls View Post
I really think Cannon is doing everything he can to try to get Gator to stay. I'm really starting to think when he said "I'm not ready for the C," he was just sending a message to management saying "I want you to keep our captain."
Makes a lot of sense. That tricky Richards, using his Cannonism to get them to resign smith.

Old
06-02-2008, 10:56 AM
bsak16

With Sami retiring, it looks as if his 1.25 million will come off the books.

bsak16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
With Sami retiring, it looks as if his 1.25 million will come off the books.
Now if we could only get hatch to follow suit we can easily sign Carter and have some room to be creative looking for a Dman or two.

Old
06-02-2008, 02:35 PM
MojoJojo

OK, without Sami here's where I think we stand...

The following players are committed to a total salary of $46.447 mil.

LW: Gagne, Hartnel
RW: Knuble, Lupul, Upshall, Downie
C: Briere, Richards
D:Timonen, Hatcher, Coburn, Kukkonen, Parent
G: Biron, Niitty

With an assumed cap of 56.3 mil, Left to sign for under $9.853 mil:
2 centers : Carter, Dowd
2 LW: Umberger, 4th liner
1 D: Jones?

Assuming $8 mil for Carter and Umberger, $500K for Dowd and miscellaneous 4th liner, and $850K for Jones, we squeek in under the cap. IMO thats very optimistic. Realistically, someone's salary is still going to have to be dumped. We all hope it will be Hatcher, but it might easily be Umberger or Lupul instead.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Jester

what's humorous is that even with Kapanen off the picture, we're still spoiled rotten with depth at wing.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 02:56 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
what's humorous is that even with Kapanen off the picture, we're still spoiled rotten with depth at wing.
Yes....depth that we need to turn into some quality dmen

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
OK, without Sami here's where I think we stand...

The following players are committed to a total salary of $46.447 mil.

LW: Gagne, Hartnel
RW: Knuble, Lupul, Upshall, Downie
C: Briere, Richards
D:Timonen, Hatcher, Coburn, Kukkonen, Parent
G: Biron, Niitty

With an assumed cap of 56.3 mil, Left to sign for under $9.853 mil:
2 centers : Carter, Dowd
2 LW: Umberger, 4th liner
1 D: Jones?

Assuming $8 mil for Carter and Umberger, $500K for Dowd and miscellaneous 4th liner, and $850K for Jones, we squeek in under the cap. IMO thats very optimistic. Realistically, someone's salary is still going to have to be dumped. We all hope it will be Hatcher, but it might easily be Umberger or Lupul instead.
I think its highly doubtful Umberger is back, he doesnt really have a solid spot on the team to be honest. If hes on the team Giroux isnt. I would rather see him movied for a Dman and Giroux play at a cheap price.

Old
06-02-2008, 08:20 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Assuming that Hatcher retires and we get that $3,500,000 along with kapanens $1,250,000 since he retired i believe that we can resign Carter, Umberger, thoresen and Jones. Carter could get 5 million, umberger 3 millioon, thoresen gets 750,000 and jones could get 1 - 1.25 million. Some of these may be a little generous but they still work. After this we would still have enogh money to sign JML for about 3 million which would be more than double his salary from last year. After that you would still have money for giroux but if we didnt we could try to trade knuble. The lines could look like this.

Gagne Cannon Briere
Upshall Carter Giroux
Hartnell Umberger Lupul
Knuble/an ahl player Thoresen Downie

Cobern Timonen
Liles Parent
Kukkonen Jones
ahl player

This way we would have the same forwards as last year with a faster defense with liles and parent instead of hatcher and smith

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 08:29 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Assuming that Hatcher retires and we get that $3,500,000 along with kapanens $1,250,000 since he retired i believe that we can resign Carter, Umberger, thoresen and Jones. Carter could get 5 million, umberger 3 millioon, thoresen gets 750,000 and jones could get 1 - 1.25 million. Some of these may be a little generous but they still work. After this we would still have enogh money to sign JML for about 3 million which would be more than double his salary from last year. After that you would still have money for giroux but if we didnt we could try to trade knuble. The lines could look like this.

Gagne Cannon Briere
Upshall Carter Giroux
Hartnell Umberger Lupul

Cobern Timonen
Liles Parent
Kukkonen Jones
ahl player

This way we would have the same forwards as last year with a faster defense with liles and parent instead of hatcher and smith
alot of people here don't think RJ can play center in the NHL, but then pencil Thoreson as 4th center

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 08:39 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
alot of people here don't think RJ can play center in the NHL, but then pencil Thoreson as 4th center
Well that could be true but i believe that Briere showed that he is too inconsitant and too much of a liability on defense to be on a line as the center with other purely offensive players. I know Gagne is pretty good in his own zone but richards is really good on defense and umberger can play defense well too. If we had these top three lines all three centers would be really good both offensively and defensively. The only other thing i see happening is trading knuble for another center or for cap room to sign a free agent, or bringing up potulny from the phantoms but i dont know if he is ready or could fit that role.

Last edited by FLYERSFAN18: 06-02-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old
06-03-2008, 07:10 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:

Gagne Cannon Briere
Upshall Carter Giroux
Hartnell Umberger Lupul

Cobern Timonen
Liles Parent
Kukkonen Jones
ahl player

Firs tof all I highly doubt they will be able to sign Carter, Umberger, Jones AND Liles. If they do then you clearly cant have knuble on the 4th line. If you want to sign all of them then you need to get rid of salary somewhere. Knuble makes too much to play forth line, and honestly hes too good. I dont know why people pencil him in as the odd man out. The guy had been on the top 3 in points every year since hes been a flyer and the top 2 in goals ever year as well.

Old
06-03-2008, 07:51 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Firs tof all I highly doubt they will be able to sign Carter, Umberger, Jones AND Liles. If they do then you clearly cant have knuble on the 4th line. If you want to sign all of them then you need to get rid of salary somewhere. Knuble makes too much to play forth line, and honestly hes too good. I dont know why people pencil him in as the odd man out. The guy had been on the top 3 in points every year since hes been a flyer and the top 2 in goals ever year as well.
I agree about knuble but I dont think that briere can play center like i said before so in my mind we are going to need another center to play the third line. I was also assuming that we would have both hatcher and kapanens money to spend, which would put us about 13 million under the cap according to this web sites salary cap figures.

Old
06-03-2008, 08:10 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
I agree about knuble but I dont think that briere can play center like i said before so in my mind we are going to need another center to play the third line. I was also assuming that we would have both hatcher and kapanens money to spend, which would put us about 13 million under the cap according to this web sites salary cap figures.
As much as he might be a defensive liability he has made a pretty damn good career for himself and the majority was him playing Center. Buffalo also had drury so its not like they didnt have any other decent centers and he was forced into the position. Something about him in the middle must be attractive to coaches, most likely the fact that the puck is on his stick more often which is when he is most dangerous.

We do have Kappys money to spend but If we have Hatch retire its highly unlikely he will make that decision by July 1. He will most likely take it easy all summer and come late august sometime when he starts working out harder he will decide if the knees are going to be good enough to hold up. If he doesnt decide to retire it wil most likely be after they make a decision of what to do with a guy like umberger and they wont sign him hoping Hatch will retire because if he doesnt they are screwed. Im with you, i hope hatch retires and frees up some space but it also wouldnt be bad if they were forced to deal this summer with hatch on the payroll and if he does retire they will have 3 million to work with for trades during the season if things dont go right with guys like gagne. it will also give them the ability to sign a big name player come the trade deadline which is always a good thing.

Old
06-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Jester

Briere was a hybrid in Buffalo and a wing a lot of the time in Phoenix...his minus speaks volumes about how they need to think about using him next year. Hiding him on the bench doesn't seem to be the best use of his offensive abilities.

Old
06-03-2008, 11:12 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Briere was a hybrid in Buffalo and a wing a lot of the time in Phoenix...his minus speaks volumes about how they need to think about using him next year. Hiding him on the bench doesn't seem to be the best use of his offensive abilities.
Yea his plus minus rating was horrible i think it was like a negative 31, if we could put him with someone like richards who is very good defensively as well as offensively we wouldnt have to worry about it all the time. I kno w that everytime that briere is on the ice in our zone i get nervous just thinking that the other team will score, with richards there we wouldn't have to worry about it as much.

Old
06-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Jester

Quote:
Yea his plus minus rating was horrible i think it was like a negative 31, if we could put him with someone like richards who is very good defensively as well as offensively we wouldnt have to worry about it all the time. I kno w that everytime that briere is on the ice in our zone i get nervous just thinking that the other team will score, with richards there we wouldn't have to worry about it as much.

It depends what wings are with this team...personally, I think he makes more sense on Carter's wing and stick Lupul with Richards. Richards is more of a playmaker than a goal scorer, so putting finishers with him is a good thing. Carter is more of a finisher than a playmaker, so the opposite is true.

Old
06-03-2008, 11:32 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:

It depends what wings are with this team...personally, I think he makes more sense on Carter's wing and stick Lupul with Richards. Richards is more of a playmaker than a goal scorer, so putting finishers with him is a good thing. Carter is more of a finisher than a playmaker, so the opposite is true.

Yea that would be fine which ever worked out better. My point is he is just so bad on defense that it is not worth risking having goal scored against us everytime he is on the ice.

Old
06-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:

would u want to split up gagne and carter?