HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens 2003 draft evaluation

Old
06-01-2008, 03:25 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Canadiens 2003 draft evaluation

Heading into the 2003 draft, the Habs stockpiled 11 draft choices. With those picks, the club managed to snag a potential top-line winger, a netminder who could be an NHL starter, a 6’6 blueline rock, and a third-line defensive stalwart.

Read full article...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Beakermania*

Here you go guys.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Heino has potential... he needs a shot.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 04:26 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

top 6 winger, #1A-1B goaltender, 3th-4th liner= Good Draft!

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Russians View Post
Heino has potential... he needs a shot.
I thought he wasn't Habs property anymore?

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 04:32 PM
GNick42

My beef with this draft is Timmins missed on his tops picks...Gretlak, Bergeron...overall, considering the talent available I think this was Timmins worse draft

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
My beef with this draft is Timmins missed on his tops picks...Gretlak, Bergeron...overall, considering the talent available I think this was Timmins worse draft
Totally, he should definitely know the future, shame on him. Although I haven't heard much from Gretlak since the draft.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 04:43 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
Totally, he should definitely know the future, shame on him. Although I haven't heard much from Gretlak since the draft.
Getzlaf went to the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim and is arguably one of the top young talents in the game today. If draft was redone today would probably go top 5....top 10 for sure

Old
06-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Lots of teams missed on Getzlaf.... and everyone passed on Bergeron at least once....

We did get a pretty good player in Andrei Kostitsyn; maybe it took him longer than some of the others to develop, but he showed this year the offensive abilities that make him special....

It could be worse we could have taken Hugh Jessiman.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
Quote:
Getzlaf went to the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim and is arguably one of the top young talents in the game today. If draft was redone today would probably go top 5....top 10 for sure
it was sarcasm... you wrote Getlak... not Getzlaf...

Jee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 05:03 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Average draft = 1-2 draftees are going to play for your team one day .

Habs have Kostitsyn , Halack , O'Byrne and Lapierre with the team . It's a very good draft .

Didn't the Habs trade Urquhart for another prospect ? someone has more details ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 05:13 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Average draft = 1-2 draftees are going to play for your team one day .

Habs have Kostitsyn , Halack , O'Byrne and Lapierre with the team . It's a very good draft .

Didn't the Habs trade Urquhart for another prospect ? someone has more details ?
Urquhart is still in the Habs' organisation... unfortunately.

I will never buy the Kostitsyn's pick. Carter, Parise, Getzlaf.. and Mike Richards were all available. The Habs needed a center. Three of the players I mentioned are just that: top quality centers !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 05:15 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
That was a beast Draft and getting Jaro 9th round was leet

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Louis Houde

Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post

I will never buy the Kostitsyn's pick. Carter, Parise, Getzlaf.. and Mike Richards were all available. The Habs needed a center. Three of the players I mentioned are just that: top quality centers !
false, "pre-traded" for Olivier Latendresse

Louis Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post

In most cases, any pick can be pointed at. In retrospect, they definitely should have taken Dustin Brown, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Patrice Bergeron, Ryan Getzlaf or Zach Parise with the Kostitsyn pick. However, it wasn't like Kostitsyn was a terrible selection.

Other guys we logically could have taken at the time: Hugh Jessiman, Robert Nilsson, Steve Bernier, Eric Fehr, Mark Stuart, Marc-Antoine Pouliot, Anthony Stewart, Brian Boyle, Shawn Belle, Jeff Tambellini or Patrick Eaves.

I'd take Kostitsyn over all of them!

So was it a great pick? No, but it wasn't terrible either. We did better than a lot of others that day.

If you want to complain about a pick, it was Urquhart over Bergeron and Shea Weber in round 2!

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
That has to be the greatest job on earth. You're praised for your great picks, but you can put on the fact that your bad picks are just because the draft is a crapshoot.....Can anybody get fire doing that job????

How come we're praising him for the Sergei K pick then? Did Timmins knew the future then?

Any job has to be about results. You're praise for the great job you're doing, you're not for the ones that went wrong. What's the problem with that? Sure, sometimes it has to do with development, sure sometimes it's bad luck. Sure it sometimes a crapshoot, if people knew, Zetterberg, Bergeron and so on would be drafted earlier. Still, the teams that drafted them, did draft them no matter what rank they went.

You know, it's still possible to say that Timmins missed in a couple of occasions and still think he's one of the best out there....

On quality, it has all the tools to be one of his worst. We might end up with Kosty Sr., Lapierre (who everybody wants to throw under a bus), O'Byrne and Halak. We might have to move Halak without getting a fair share in return 'cause chances are he won't have the chance to prove himself as much as he'll do in a #1 job. Then, O'Byrne might end up as a relatively safe #4, and Kosty.

But again, even with those misses, he' still amongst the best. I know there's no grey zones in that board, but unfortunately, sometimes there are some.

Looking at 2004, just because of Kosty, 2003 might end up better in the end though.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Uwey

Hey!!!

I'm still a Lapierre fan & believe we have yet see what he is truly capable of.

That said, it is the same case as Christopher Higgins, what are your expectations?

IMO Lapierre & Higgins(both whom most want to throw under the bus) are the types of players you want to take to war. Both also need more time to grow into their real worth with the team, but I truly believe it will be well worth it in the long run.

I see people complain about Higgins, yet would like to see Perezhogin back in a Habs uniform & I think holy rats @ss, what are they thinking??

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
I watched him in junior and he was a very lazy hockey player who didn't put out that much effort but tried to get by on skills. He always floated at the other blueline and played a perimeter game. You could see the size and talent he had but it was like he didn't want to work up a sweat and thought he was above everyone else. I think his attitude cost him from being a top 10 player. He could easily have gone the other way and been a Jason Bonsignore

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 07:16 PM
GNick42

We was almost 5 full years before we got anything much out of AK

Old
06-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Quiet Robert

I think Kostitsyn and Urquhart will always make 2003 a controversial.

Unless Kostitsyn becomes an elite NHLer, guys like Carter, Getzlaf, Perry and Richards will always be brought up in "what-could-have-been" discussions. Then you have the Urquhart pick, which took away a potential NHL asset.

That said, Kostitsyn continues to develop into a solid winger, Lapierre is going to be a good agitator, O'Byrne could be a top 4 dman and Halak shows signs that he's solid NHL material. 4 NHLers drafted in one year in generally nothing to scoff at.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 08:20 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
We was almost 5 full years before we got anything much out of AK
And those 5 years (4 years actually) were worth it as he's turning into one hell of a player.

The guy was supposed to go top 5 but dropped because teams were scared of him due his medical problems, as Montreal doctors were able to diagnose him and find out the medical issues would not be a problem why would they not take him? It's easy to point fingers now and say who they should have picked, but back then it was the old NHL so players like Parise were dropping due to their size and not big enough to make an impact and Getzlaf dropped because of his attitude (same thing happening to Beach this year).

Too bad we don't have some posters on here as our scouts instead of guys like Timmins and company as i'm sure you would have picked Getzlaf #10 for us instead of AK46 and also you would have probably have drafted us Datsyuk and Zetterberg in the late 90's before Detroit would've been able to.

If you are criticizing our draft picks who have actually excelled in the NHL and made an impact for us I would have liked to see you in the 90's when every year our first rounder was a bust.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 08:41 PM
V-2 Schneider

4 NHLers from one draft year is superb.It used to be that one player making the team was considered a good draft.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
I thought he wasn't Habs property anymore?
You're right, Montreal released Heino's rights.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 10:00 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Heino and Korpikari are no longer with us..

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Why do we always say that Carter would have been a better pick than Kostitsyn? I can understand for Getzalf, Richards and Parise, but Carter?!?! It's not like he's a beast out there. He's a tall lanky center with skills, but that's about it. I think Kostitsyn will end up to be the best player between the two.

And why are people so negative about the Kostitsyn choice? He's one of the best player of the first round, so we should just be happy. And Richards wasn't really supposed to become an offensive player at the NHL level, and like someone said, Getzalf was lazy. And it's funny, because those two players went way after our pick...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote