HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers HF End of Year Awards

Old
05-11-2008, 09:04 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
I thought this thread was going to hand out awards to US...

Old
05-11-2008, 09:19 PM
h0ckeyman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't know what greener grass has to do with anything - I never said I wanted another goalie. And I do think that Lundqvist is a top goalie. But this was by far is worst season to date and that was due to inconsistency.
I do agree this was his worst season, but he was still an amazing goaltender for about 60-70% of it...the other 30-40% he was just really good. I think for the portion he was on top of his game he was the best in the league(remember the beginning of the season where he single handedly won us many games).

Scotty gomez was good for the entire season, night in and night out he was consistent i agree with you...but at no point was he even close to the best in the league at anything...He had a 70 point season which is good but not great.

Henriks portion of great surpasses Gomez's consistent good IMO

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 09:24 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Rangers player of the season: Lundy

Worst Rangers player of the season: Hollweg, I hope that's the last we see of him.

Best Team performance of the season: Just the whole series against the devils.

Worst Team performance of the season: 5-0 lead blown to the habs.

Best individual performance from a Rangers player this season: Lundqvist during his beginning and end stretches.

Worst individual performance from a Rangers player this season: Hollweg's countless boarding penalties.

Best opposition player against us this season: Gaborik, Malkin

Worst opposition player against us this season: Marty

Best goal the Rangers scored this season: Roszival's goal 30 seconds into the season. Or both of Marc Staal's goals against the devs.

Best goal against the Rangers this season: Gaborik's 5.

Biggest "nuts" moment (not game) where you were jumping around screaming for joy: Funny story. I was at a huge mall in Bangkok, Thailand when i read the news about Gomez and Drury and I let out a huge scream, turning the attention of thousands of people to me.

Worst moment of despair: 3-0 lead blown to pitt.

Best opposition fans at MSG: Can't decide.

Worst opposition fans at MSG: Can't decide.

Best away game: Game 1 vs the devils in the playoffs, i was there and it was awesome!

Funniest moment of the season: Hollweg netting 2.

Hero of the season: Henrik

Scapegoat of the season: Hollweg, Malik

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
check the bold
yeah, no idea why i thought it was jagr.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:03 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Rangers player of the season: Lundqvist. Sure there were times when he was inconsistent, and I agree Gomez was excellent, but I can think of at least 7-10 games off-hand that he managed to get us at least a point on his own.

Worst Rangers player of the season: Hollweg. I just don't think the guy served much of a purpose. 2 goals in a loss to Philly and that was about it.

Best Team performance of the season:February, 24: 5-0 drubbing of Florida. Obviously not the best team they beat all year, but I think this was their high watermark of the season. It was in the middle of the point streak and I was at this game and they just dominated the entire game. Reminded me of the way they played coming out of the lockout.

Worst Team performance of the season:December 16: 5-1 loss to Phoenix. Phoenix was on a stretch where they beat us, NJ and PHI on the same road trip and we had Valiquette in goal, but this was probably the most lifeless loss of the season and maybe the low point as well.

Best individual performance from a Rangers player this season:Jagr's performance in the playoffs.Just a man possessed. Maybe because he was playing for a new deal, or maybe because he knew it was the end, but that was inspiring.

Worst individual performance from a Rangers player this season:Hollweg's penalty vs. Pittsburgh, Game 3. Did it cost us the game? Can't really say, but you never take a penalty like that in a tie game down 2-0 in a playoff series against an offense like that. Unforgiveable.

Best opposition player against us this season:Gaborik. For a full season, you'd probably have to go with Malkin or maybe even Marty Biron (how many 30+ save games against us did he have?), but that was a performance that even I was proud to watch.

Worst opposition player against us this season:Brodeur. Two words: Epic Fail.

Best goal the Rangers scored this season:Staal's go-ahead goal against NJ, Game 4. I'm going to go with this one just because this was pretty much the end of the series. Honorable mention to Rozsival on Opening Night.

Best goal against the Rangers this season:Gaborik again. I think it was his 5th goal? The unassisted one. Just a thing of pure beauty.

Biggest "nuts" moment (not game) where you were jumping around screaming for joy:Drafting of Cherepanov.I was at the draft in Nationwide Arena in Columbus and was tense watching pick after pick until finally it was our turn. I had all my Rangers stuff on and started cheering, jumping up and down, waving a towel and yelling 'LETS GO RANGERS!' despite there being only a few other Rangers fans in the building.

Worst moment of despair:Straka's "penalty". Game 1 against Pittsburgh made me angrier than I've been for quite some time.

Best opposition fans at MSG:San Jose. I was surprised at how many Sharks fans made the trip into the city back in february, but they are a cool fan base who is very passionate and knowledgeable about their team.

Worst opposition fans at MSG:Pens. Just a cocky, arrogant bunch who seemed to think a sweep was inevitable. Even during the regular season I came across many unpleasant Pittsburgh fans.

Best away game:Any of the 6 games we won at the Prudential Center. Especially the 3 I attended - November 14 (4-2 W), March 19 (2-1 SO W) and April 9 (4-1 W). Nothing like seeing a visiting arena almost half-full of Rangers fans. I can't wait to go back next season and hopefully see our luck continue there.

Funniest moment of the season:Fatso forgot to shake my hand. Nothing else needs to be added.

Hero of the season:Lundqvist. See the first part.

Scapegoat of the season:Malik. I've been as big of a critic of him as anyone, but the guy did improve his game at times and was not nearly as bad this season as he was for parts of the previous two years.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:54 PM
mti79

Rangers player of the season: Lundqvist for keeping us in it early, Jagr for carrying us late.
Worst Rangers player of the season: Straka, hustles but missed so many open nets at times of need.
Best Team performance of the season: Rangers beating the Devils in Round 1
Worst Team performance of the season: The 5-0 collapse in Montreal
Best individual performance from a Rangers player this season: Valliquette shutting out the Flyers... twice... in Philly
Worst individual performance from a Rangers player this season: Ryan Hollweg's ill advised boarding penalties...
Best opposition player against us this season: Marian Gaborik/Evgeni Malkin
Worst opposition player against us this season: Ryan Miller's 4 goals allowed in 12 minutes
Best goal the Rangers scored this season: Strudwick's winner in OT
Best goal against the Rangers this season: Kovalev falling down to tie that Montreal game.
Biggest "nuts" moment (not game) where you were jumping around screaming for joy: Rangers eliminate the Devils/Sjostrom's first goal at MSG. I was at both and literally jumping up and down for both.
Worst moment of despair: Hossa's goal in OT
Best opposition fans at MSG: Flyers (i know, it seems wrong to me too)
Worst opposition fans at MSG: Pens
Best away game: Game 5 in Newark or Nov. 14 in Newark.
Funniest moment of the season: Bubblegum Gang
Hero of the season: jagr showed he still had it, Hank at times was the dominant force we know he can be
Scapegoat of the season: win as a team, lose as a team.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Rangers player of the season: Henrik Lundqvist, where would we be without him?

Worst Rangers player of the season: Ryan Hollweg, please go away already.

Best Team performance of the season: Round One against NJ

Worst Team performance of the season: Collapse in Montreal

Best individual performance from a Rangers player this season: Jagr being a manbeast in the playoffs

Worst individual performance from a Rangers player this season: Hollweg and Backman on nightly basis's.

Best opposition player against us this season: Sean Bergenheim, lol.

Worst opposition player against us this season: MAARRRRTTYYYYY

Best goal the Rangers scored this season: Staal's Game 4 Winner at the Garden...amazing.

Best goal against the Rangers this season: Kovalev's one timer to complete the collapse in montreal, great pass, great shot, dramatic goal.

Biggest "nuts" moment (not game) where you were jumping around screaming for joy: On the way home from work on July 1st, getting a call about Gomez....and then drury on the same ride home.
Worst moment of despair: Hollweg taking that dumb ****ing penalty in Game 3 and Straka's "interference" penalty.
Best opposition fans at MSG: Hab's fans cuz they were fun to hang out with.
Worst opposition fans at MSG: Maple Leaf fans....your team as sucked forever just go away.
Best away game: Being in attendance for the clinching at the Coliseum, that was a great time.
Funniest moment of the season: Avery dancing in Marty's face, and then scoring a goal on his fatness.
Hero of the season: Henrik Lundqvist and Sean Avery
Scapegoat of the season: Die Ryan Hollweg

Is it October yet?

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 11:25 PM
GarretJoseph*

Rangers player of the season: Jagr
Worst Rangers player of the season: Prucha
Best Team performance of the season: First round VS Debbies
Worst Team performance of the season: Melt down in Montreal
Best individual performance from a Rangers player this season: Jagr in the playoffs
Worst individual performance from a Rangers player this season: Prucha all around.
Best opposition player against us this season: Malkin
Worst opposition player against us this season: Marty Brodeur
Best goal the Rangers scored this season: rozsivals on opening night was pretty sweet
Best goal against the Rangers this season: Malkins back handed goal in the playoffs
Biggest "nuts" moment (not game) drafting cherry
Worst moment of despair: losing game 2, 3 and 5 to pitts
Best opposition fans at MSG: None
Worst opposition fans at MSG: None
Best away game: I attended.. Against the Debbies in the playoffs, it was a home game to be honest.
Funniest moment of the season: we are all jumping up and down when lauri korpikoski his first goal in the playoffs.. we were all happy and all my friend kept saying was "SAVE THE PUCK! SAVE THE PUCK!!"
Hero of the season: Jagr.
Scapegoat of the season: Prucha/Hollywood/Malik - take ur pick

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 11:57 PM
ThirdEye

Rangers player of the season: Lundqvist (Gomez a close second)
Worst Rangers player of the season: Anyone on the fourth line not named Betts
Best Team performance of the season: Kicking NJ's ass, if nothing more
Worst Team performance of the season: Montreal collapes was brutal. Also, the team had no urgency in the second round
Best individual performance from a Rangers player this season: Jagr ... playoffs
Worst individual performance from a Rangers player this season: Hollweg didn't do his job, so him
Best opposition player against us this season: Gaborik anyone? Malkin
Worst opposition player against us this season: Fatso
Best goal the Rangers scored this season: Shanny's overtime winner in NJ, or his OT winner in Montreal stand out
Best goal against the Rangers this season: Not sure
Biggest "nuts" moment (not game) where you were jumping around screaming for joy: I agree with Cherepanov
Worst moment of despair: Giving up the 3 goal lead in the first game of the second round
Best opposition fans at MSG: Eh...
Worst opposition fans at MSG: Toronto, Flyers
Best away game: Minnesota
Funniest moment of the season: Sean Avery... nuff said
Hero of the season: Jagr and Lundqvist in the post season = hero's to me
Scapegoat of the season: Malik. He really thew off this teams balance when he decided to start sucking more than usual

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
I thought this thread was going to hand out awards to US...
Make it happen dkatz!

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 01:28 AM
NYR1724

Rangers player of the season: Scott Gomez
Worst Rangers player of the season: Ryan Hollweg
Best Team performance of the season: 5-1 drubbing against Buffalo in February that began the Rangers run to the playoffs.
Worst Team performance of the season: Blowing 5 goal lead Vs Montreal
Best individual performance from a Rangers player this season: One of Henke's many shutouts.
Worst individual performance from a Rangers player this season: 90 percent of the games Backman played in, he was the worst Ranger on the ice. His first game against Carolina, he was awful
Best opposition player against us this season: Evgeni Malkin
Worst opposition player against us this season: Martin Broduer
Best goal the Rangers scored this season: Chris Drury's game tying goal against the Devils in Mid-March.
Best goal against the Rangers this season: Any of Gaborik's 5
Biggest "nuts" moment (not game) where you were jumping around screaming for joy: The signing of Chris Drury. He may not have been his best, but this guy is going to be HUGE for our franchise the next four years.
Worst moment of despair: Marian Hossa's OT series clinching goal
Best away game: 4-1 W over the Islanders to clinch a playoff spot
Funniest moment of the season: The implementation of the Sean Avery Rule
Hero of the season: Henrik Lundqvist
Scapegoat of the season:

NYR1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 06:03 AM
chosen

A lot of folks here clearly don't know the meaning of the word scapegoat.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 07:54 AM
lundy

Everyone seems to be putting Hollweg as the worst player of the season, but finally, someone put Prucha. I gotta agree with Prucha.

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 04:24 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Rangers player of the season: Brendan Dubinsky, Lundquist

Worst Rangers player of the season: Ryan Hollweg, Petr Prucha
Best Team performance of the season: game 4 vs Pens
Worst Team performance of the season: game 1 vs Pens - you cannot lose a nil lead in a game of this magnitude

Best individual performance from a Rangers player this season: Jagr game 4 vs Pens
Worst individual performance from a Rangers player this season: Hollweg vs Pens
Best opposition player against us this season: Evgeni Malkin
Worst opposition player against us this season: Darcy Tucker
Best goal the Rangers scored this season: Jagr's 1-0 goal in game 4
Best goal against the Rangers this season:
Biggest "nuts" moment (not game) where you were jumping around screaming for joy:
Worst moment of despair: rumour of Avery's coma!
Best opposition fans at MSG:
Worst opposition fans at MSG:
Best away game:
Funniest moment of the season: Avery jousting Brodeur
Hero of the season: Jaromir Jagr
Scapegoat of the season Jaromir Jagr

Last edited by Sad London Ranger: 05-13-2008 at 04:33 AM.
Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 07:22 AM
Chris 84

Rangers player of the season: Lundqvist, he did what he always does, pretty damn good for most of the time. However, Dubinsky, in terms of he really stepped up when it wasn't necessarily expected of him

Worst Rangers player of the season: Pains me to say it but Hollweg really was pretty bad.

Best Team performance of the season: 6-1 v Toronto (of the games that got shown in Europe anyway!)

Worst Team performance of the season: Montreal, that horrible horrible clapse.

Best individual performance from a Rangers player this season: Lundqvist for the first few months was superb

Worst individual performance from a Rangers player this season: Backman played some loathsome games

Best opposition player against us this season: I guess Gaborik's performance speaks for itself.

Worst opposition player against us this season: Riley Cote, he sucks!

Best goal the Rangers scored this season: None stand out in my memory.

Best goal against the Rangers this season: Same.

Biggest "nuts" moment (not game) where you were jumping around screaming for joy: When Malik beat the crap out of Avery in practice.

Worst moment of despair: Going out the play-offs

Best opposition fans at MSG: Never been to MSG so don't know.

Worst opposition fans at MSG: Same.

Best away game: 6-1 v Toronto again

Funniest moment of the season: When Brodeur wouldn't shake hands. Nice to know Sean got to him.

Hero of the season: Betts. The guy throws himself in front of everything.

Scapegoat of the season: Malik of course. As usual we got better results with him in the team but as usual people complained. The guy's been very good for us but for some reason is blamed for everything that goes wrong.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Lundquist is the player of the season?? he took 6 weeks off in the middle Gomez by far. people.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:15 AM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Lundquist is the player of the season?? he took 6 weeks off in the middle Gomez by far. people.
sorry. an outsider's point of view was dubinsky. he was the lynch-pin. when he got paired w/jagr, the team took off.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Dubi / Lundy

Dubi handled a tough assignment to get Jagr out of funk with brio.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 12:34 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Lundqvist was the player of the season without a doubt...Its as simple as this, whether he was inconsistent or not, as Hank goes, this team goes... Never once was he bailed out in a poor performance with a 5 or 6 goal output... While Gomer and Dubi were great and Gomez was certainly consistent, he didnt steal games for us. And yes, forwards can steal games just like goalies with some 4 point nights or a couple of hat tricks...
Just look at the season...hot to start with hank hot, cold in the middle with hank cold, hot at the end with hank hot again... no one else could step up in the middle of the season and win some of those games for us??

helpful stat, and I love scotty gomez..
he was our best forward of the season and finished a measly +3 and had 2 games all season with more than 2 points. (5-0 win vs florida, 4-3 loss to the bruins)

Last edited by DubiDubiDoo: 05-13-2008 at 12:40 PM.
DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 03:37 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
This is not actually a poll...so don't scrap this. Just thought it might be fun to see everyone's answers...

Rangers player of the season: Lundqvist
Worst Rangers player of the season:Hollweg
Best Team performance of the season:4-0 win vs atlanta
Worst Team performance of the season:6-2 loss to toronto
Best individual performance from a Rangers player this season:jagr in game 4
Worst individual performance from a Rangers player this season:some of malik moments come to mind
Best opposition player against us this season:gaborik and his five
Worst opposition player against us this season:
Best goal the Rangers scored this season:staals first (maybe not THE best but i loved it
Best goal against the Rangers this season:
Biggest "nuts" moment (not game) where you were jumping around screaming for joy:dubinsky empty netter in game 5 vs devils
Worst moment of despair:montreal wins shootout to win 6-5
Best opposition fans at MSG:
Worst opposition fans at MSG:
Best away game:shutout on long island?
Funniest moment of the season:seeing the pens fan get thrown down the stairs game 4
Hero of the season:Lundqvist
Scapegoat of the season:hollweg
let down player: Rozsival

BlairBettsBlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:27 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Any 1 gonna have end of the year awards for the Members on HF Rangers Board? Others have had them, the Islanders just had a vote I think.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Fataldogg

07/08 Rangers Awards Thread

I don't know if this has been done but if it has been than OH WELL and humor me. Now that we have had plenty of time to look back on the 07/08 season we can assess it better.

Regular Season MVP: Henrik Lundqvist

Rookie of the Year: Brandon Dubinsky

Biggest Surprise [Regular Season]: MTL coming from behind a five goal deficit to beat the Rangers.

Biggest Disappointment [Regular Season]: Jaromir Jagr

Playoff MVP: Jaromir Jagr

Playoff "Choke" Artist: Chris Drury

Best Performance of the Year: Jaromir Jagr against the Penguins in Game 4 of the semi-conference finals.

Most Enjoyable Aspect of 2007/2008: Going 7-0-1 vs the Devils during the season and beating them in five games in round one of the playoffs

Well, those are my picks, interested in what some of the other fans are thinking looking back at the entire season several weeks after we have been eliminated and the whole playoff craze for us has died down.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 04:32 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
I don't know if this has been done but if it has been than OH WELL and humor me. Now that we have had plenty of time to look back on the 07/08 season we can assess it better.

Regular Season MVP: Henrik Lundqvist

Rookie of the Year: Brandon Dubinsky

Biggest Surprise [Regular Season]: MTL coming from behind a five goal deficit to beat the Rangers.

Biggest Disappointment [Regular Season]: Jaromir Jagr

Playoff MVP: Jaromir Jagr

Playoff "Choke" Artist: Chris Drury

Best Performance of the Year: Jaromir Jagr against the Penguins in Game 4 of the semi-conference finals.

Most Enjoyable Aspect of 2007/2008: Going 7-0-1 vs the Devils during the season and beating them in five games in round one of the playoffs

Well, those are my picks, interested in what some of the other fans are thinking looking back at the entire season several weeks after we have been eliminated and the whole playoff craze for us has died down.
.......shanahan?........straka?........avery?..... .rozsival?.....tyutin?.....

if you think drury choked with his unkown(shoulder/ankle) injury and getting high-sticked in the face and getting stitches and then going back out and playing....you didnt watch the games.....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
.......shanahan?........straka?........avery?..... .rozsival?.....tyutin?.....

if you think drury choked with his unkown(shoulder/ankle) injury and getting high-sticked in the face and getting stitches and then going back out and playing....you didnt watch the games.....
I did, but we paid him $7 million to have us win playoff games, not score 25 goals during the season. He'll have to play through that pain and extend the series for us to impress me. That's what major contracts do for me, raise my expectations. Straka averaged a pt a game, what more did you realistically expect from him?

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 05:17 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
I did, but we paid him $7 million to have us win playoff games, not score 25 goals during the season. He'll have to play through that pain and extend the series for us to impress me. That's what major contracts do for me, raise my expectations. Straka averaged a pt a game, what more did you realistically expect from him?
i expected straka to finish one of the 100 chances he had......and the fact that he played whenthe team was already down one center was good enough for me...thats leadership....i dont give a crap about his contract since im not paying it.....i understand it raises expectations, however hos much can a guy do when he is playing with either one good leg or one good arm in a very rough series with the pens......he played with callahan and sjostrom at some points in the playoffs...as well as korpikoski and dawes....the guy did everything he could and it was shown after the rangers won the game at msg in the second round and jagr went over to him directly on the ice and patted him on the back.....i dont know about you but i have never seen jagr do anything like that.....if his teammates think he is giving it is all and he is being productive, that is good enough for me

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote