HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is Chipchuras offensive upside?

Old
06-01-2008, 01:52 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

vCash: 500
30-35 points with above-average defense and good leadership. That's how he should end up imo.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 01:57 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

The only area of concern I have with Chipchura is the face off. His avarage or below-average skating if you want doesn't bother me one bit. The only thing is his faceoff. He was a rookie last year so it can obviously improuve but I don't know how he was in junior or AHL.

Me, my shut down center needs to be dominant in the faceoff. If he isn't, I'll look for someone who is and get rid of the other. Hopefully Chip can and will get better at it.

As for his offensive upside, it could go eithr way really. Either he gets to play with better players and devellope more confidence and put up around 50 points a season or he goes in the Malhotra, Pahlsson pat and never puts up great numbers but is still really effective and most teams would love to have them on their team. Then again it comes back to what I said about face off, Malhotra and Pahlsson are dominant at it so Kyle will have to become dominant at it, I'm talking 55%+.

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 01:58 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby View Post
I won't project any point totals from him. I'll just let him pleasantly surprise the narrow-minded people that think he has 4th line upside.
Yeah pretty much... I love his vision and passing. On vision and passing alone he's the 2nd best centre in the organization behind Koivu and yes I considered Plekanec. Hr made a coupkle of pass to Latendresse that really wowed me. When i saw him at the WJC he was amazing. Not the highest upside offensively, but that's ebcause of his speed. His shot is not great, but decent, but he got everythign else. Strenght and passing alone would make him effectie on offense.

Whether he's able to play on the 2nd line or not he'll be a PP guy for us.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 01:58 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Chipchura should be fine in the face-off department. Jarvis, Carbonneau, Gainey, Muller. There is no better organization and coaching staff to groom this young man into what he was drafted to be.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 02:04 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Chipchura should be fine in the face-off department. Jarvis, Carbonneau, Gainey, Muller. There is no better organization and coaching staff to groom this young man into what he was drafted to be.
I'm sure he will but his % last year was scary to say the least. Not even close to be respectable.

Last edited by C-Saku Koivu MTL: 06-01-2008 at 02:12 PM.
C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Bullsmith

15+ goals, 35+ points would be a good offensive season for Chips I think.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 02:41 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
He does everything well except skate well and that has improved. If he can continue to improve his skating he will be 40 points and a plus player on a third line with big plays when guts are required. He does have great vision and soft hands and grit and size. He will also need to play with a player that can finish a play or play give and go. Can Dave give us an update on his skating?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
I think alot of people underestimate Chipchura's skills. He has tremendous puck control thanks to his body and great positioning, he has good passing skills, and he knows how to find open space to get where he wants. If his footspeed improves, I can really see him being a consistant 50 point guy playing with a guy like Gui who he has already shown chemistry with. Remember, a few years back everybody thought Plekanec was a useless spare part who would be a 4th liner at absolute best.

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Iwishihadacup

I thinks that he can manage a 50 points season

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I would be (pleasantly) surprised if he ever topped 30 goals or 50 assists in any single season.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 04:16 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

NHL08 says he's a playmaker! i dont whether thats true or not but im gonna go with
High of...
G A P
13 37 50

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
think poor mans Keith Primeau

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 04:40 PM
zurg999

Quote:
I don't know, he must be fabricating this. Chipchura is one of the smartest hockey players in our system. He's unbeatable on the boards. He makes tough plays look simple. He has good size, his skating can improve but he knows where to be and he gets there to make his play. He, obviously, has underrated offensive skills. He's an exceptional leader, he'll lay his body and heart on the ice, especially when the chips are down.
I think that poster missed the Calder Cup playoff run last year, where Chip's line was used to blanket one top offensive line after another, Haydar/Sterling/Flieshmen(sp?)/Klepis, etc.

Too lazy to look right now but I also believe he got 15 pts or so and was top 20 in scoring with no PP time while doing that. Lets not also mention how he helped with hits, first man in on scrums, sticking up for teammates etc. None of that happened I guess.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 06:23 PM
jordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Lol. 10 goals, 15 assists. Chipchura isn't very good.
Right now I agree, Chipchura isn't that great. However you can see that the potential is there. Hes very good at protecting and cycling the puck and makes not spectacular but smart plays. He's also not the fastest player but his quickness has picked up quite a lot to the point where he has average wheels. However, he hasn't done anything spectacular at the NHL level yet so i find on this board hes very overrated. This year he spent a good chunk of time in Montreal but was struggling in his last few games (especially in the faceoff circle) so he was sent down. Next year with Smolinski gone there'll be a competition between Chipchura and lapierre for the third line centre spot. I like Chipchura better because i think hes a smarter player and will bring more offense than Lapierre but I feel right now that Lapierre is ahead of chipchura and brings more to the table.

jordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Corey

I take a wait and see attitude. I'm not yet convinced.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Rayne*

I'd say around 0.5 PPG, so 40-45ish points a season, plus great defensive awareness.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Uwey

Quote:

If that is the case & I have questioned this for two seasons now, why is this team one of the worst faceoff teams in the league?

It should be a no-brainer that at least two of our centerman should be 55% to 60% faceoff winners.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
15-20 goals 40-45 points to go along with his outstanding defense?

30-35 points I'd say. He's a sure fire nhler, but I dont think he will ever be known for his production. If he's very successful, he will be one of the best shutdown guys in the league.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
30-35 points I'd say. He's a sure fire nhler, but I dont think he will ever be known for his production. If he's very successful, he will be one of the best shutdown guys in the league.
We'll judge that from his NHL scoring stats and his +/-. I'll pass for now.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 10:25 PM
guest1467

I think a few of you will be pleasantly suprised next season by his vision, intelligence and playmaking abilities in the offensive zone.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I think a few of you will be pleasantly suprised next season by his vision, intelligence and playmaking abilities in the offensive zone.
I was already impressed by it in his time with us this year, the way people talk about him you'd think he'd have no offensive hockey sense and is terrible in the offensive zone, but I was really surprised with it.

He also works well in the corners and cycles the puck well, He'll put up around 40-45 points a year in his prime and I can see him peaking around 50-55 depending on who his linemates are.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

He'll deliver between 12 to 17 goals and have 35-40 points.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 12:07 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Oh my...

10-15-25pts or 15-20-35pts as a career high. If you wait for more than that, than just forget it people. The kid is slow, has no abilities on faceoffs, has a below average shot and below average hands.

He's gonna be a good third line center at best. Stop overating our players so much it's becoming ridiculous. 60pts for Chipchura? yeah right.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Oh my...

10-15-25pts or 15-20-35pts as a career high. If you wait for more than that, than just forget it people. The kid is slow, has no abilities on faceoffs, has a below average shot and below average hands.

He's gonna be a good third line center at best. Stop overating our players so much it's becoming ridiculous. 60pts for Chipchura? yeah right.
He would've had around 25 points if he played the whole season with Montreal, he had 11 in 36 games. Keep in mind that is playing 10 mins a game with Begin and Kostopoulus... yeah very offensive minded players.

He's got good playmaking abilities and he has decent speed for a bigger player, also he uses his size well in the offensive zone in the corners and is hard to knock off the puck. Oh yeah, he also just turned 22. Overrating him would be saying he'll get like 70-80 points in a season but a career high of around 50 points is certainly not out of reach.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 01:47 AM
snap-bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandsam View Post
NHL08 says he's a playmaker! i dont whether thats true or not but im gonna go with
High of...
G A P
13 37 50
It also says A. Kost is a grinder, so take it for what its worth... not much

snap-bar is offline   Reply With Quote