HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

OHL super powers in 08/09

Old
06-01-2008, 11:19 PM
RangerRed

vCash: 500
- Windsor should absolutely run roughshod over the entire league next year. No doubt about it whatsoever.
- London's scoring should be impressive next year but I'm not sold on the rest of the equation.
- Mike Murphy should save Belleville's ass next year, at least for one playoff round.
- If Bogosian returns and Ryan Spooner lives up to the hype, I'd watch out for the Petes; they could turn some heads.
- Next year should answer the question, how good is Logan Couture, really? If he turns out to be what the San Jose Sharks saw in him at 9th Overall, Ottawa has a very good chance to take their division.
- The pieces started to come together for Kingston at the end of last year. This year's team is pretty much the same entry, just replace Justin Wallingford with a more talented defenseman in young Eric Gudbranson. If the young blueliner makes a fast adjustment to the O, Kingston may be at the top of the division.
- With only Tavares and Del Zotto left, the Generals don't really have the tools to turn heads this year. I have no problem believing JT will be traded, I think it's more likely to be at the deadline though. Expect the Frontenacs, Storm and 67s to be major players in those sweepstakes.
- The Majors floundered last season but the good news is that Chris Carrozzi and Cameron Gaunce both got much better as the season went on. They'll have to be good again, as will Casey Cizikas, because they'll have more responsibility this year.
- The Battalion will have to get help from players without "Duchene" or "Hodgson" on the back of their jerseys if they want to prevent this season from looking like last year's playoff run.
- Sudbury should impress. O'Dell was in top form near the end of last season. Staal is a solid first line power forward. John McFarland's scoring touch will be welcomed,as will that of whomever the Wolves take first overall in the CHL Import Draft. Maggio and Hermenegildo will anchor a young defence corps the only questionmark is Alain Valiquette in net.
- I don't expect too much from Barrie next season. Of course, that could depend on Michael Hutchinson.
- Niagara will be an interesting case study. Much depends on the ability of Agozzino and DeSousa to step into the shoes of Legein, Caputi and Swift.
- What to make of Owen Sound? Much will depend on the debut of young Steven Shipley.
- If Doughty returns, the Storm may be alright. If not, they may go through some terrible growing pains.
- Sarnia's gonna lose Stamkos, so it's up to Arniel, DiDiomete, Katic and DiBenedetto to fill the void. That could or could not be rough.
- Erie's gonna have a whole mess of talent and a typical Erie problem of little to bind them together. With Janus, Palmieri, Torquato, Gaulton, McKegg and O'Reilly, they look very good on paper. But how many teams can say they're very good on paper?
- No Simmonds, no Godfrey, no Jeffrey, no Gajewski, no hope in the Soo this season.
- Plymouth is another interesting case. The return of Jeremy Smith is good, A.J. Jenks should receive a leadership role this season. If Dalpe reports, things would definitely look up for the Whalers and if Seguin reports, they may be able to push Windsor more than anyone else in the division, maybe the conference.
- Saginaw, I'm seeing something very middle of the road. Too much depends on Combs and McDonough. They could be good, but the odds are around a .550 winning pct.
- Last, I don't know what the hell to make of the Rangers. Most teams would finish dead last after losing 4 of their top 6 forwards, their powerplay quarterback, their best penalty killer and their World Junior MVP goaltender. Here's the catch, the CHL player of the Year is expected back. Mikkel Boedker is unlikely to stick with the pros next season. Ben Shutron wasn't signed by the Blackhawks. So, now you've got the most dangerous import player in the OHL, the reigning CHL player of the year and a more than capable powerplay quarterback. 4/6 members of your OHL Championship defence corps is returning. Your OHL Championship goaltender is returning. So, that's a good start. Jeremy Morin, the leading scorer for the US Under-17 team is expected to be an 80/20 chance of signing. Alex Aleardi, who recorded 110 points with Compuware last year, already showed up to the Rangers rookie camp. At this point the big questionmark is 62 goal scorer for the Toronto Young Nats, Jeff Skinner. Skinner's expected to be a 50/50 chance at reporting to Kitchener. If he shows up, I doubt very highly that the Rangers will have trouble scoring. Christopher McDougall is the likely back up for Josh Unice next season and one hopes that he carries over the form he exhibited for Sudbury in the national midget championships.

RangerRed is offline   Reply With Quote