HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers HF End of Year Awards

Old
06-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Jay88*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
I don't know if this has been done but if it has been than OH WELL and humor me. Now that we have had plenty of time to look back on the 07/08 season we can assess it better.

Regular Season MVP: Henrik Lundqvist

Rookie of the Year: Brandon Dubinsky

Biggest Surprise [Regular Season]: MTL coming from behind a five goal deficit to beat the Rangers.

Biggest Disappointment [Regular Season]: Jaromir Jagr

Playoff MVP: Jaromir Jagr

Playoff "Choke" Artist: Chris Drury

Best Performance of the Year: Jaromir Jagr against the Penguins in Game 4 of the semi-conference finals.

Most Enjoyable Aspect of 2007/2008: Going 7-0-1 vs the Devils during the season and beating them in five games in round one of the playoffs

Well, those are my picks, interested in what some of the other fans are thinking looking back at the entire season several weeks after we have been eliminated and the whole playoff craze for us has died down.
Henk I can agree with.

Dubinsky,well thats obvious.

As for the biggest surpirise,well thatsnone one game Ill never forget.Its just aboutas unforgetable as game 7 of the 94 cup.I know it may sound weird, but that game against MTL was insane.I couldnt believe waht I was seeing.

Playoff choke artist. ,well I just dont get it.Drury wasnt amazig ,but he wasnt horrible either. What were you expecting him to score very game winning goal.I mean, common man. Lets be realistic!

Biggest dissaointment and playoff MVP : Jagr ,that is obvious.

Most enjoyable aspect: Well to be honest, who the **** cares.It was a so so season.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 05:36 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
I don't know if this has been done but if it has been than OH WELL and humor me. Now that we have had plenty of time to look back on the 07/08 season we can assess it better.

Biggest Surprise [Regular Season]: MTL coming from behind a five goal deficit to beat the Rangers.

Best Performance of the Year: Jaromir Jagr against the Penguins in Game 4 of the semi-conference finals.

Most Enjoyable Aspect of 2007/2008: Going 7-0-1 vs the Devils during the season and beating them in five games in round one of the playoffs

Well, those are my picks, interested in what some of the other fans are thinking looking back at the entire season several weeks after we have been eliminated and the whole playoff craze for us has died down.
Did I just hear that?

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Celestial Black

I think we cand agree that there were several players who should be labeled choke artists before Drury.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Fataldogg

Don't get me wrong, I labeled him the choke artist for his expectations. Avery is not the talent a lot of us make him out to be. I don't expect him to steal the show. I expect him to throw a few good hits, irritate players, and if he scores a goal its an added bonus. I think Avery is one of the most overrated players on the Rangers over the last two years. Shanahan was old, showed signs of wearing at the end of the season, so I didn't expect much of a playoff performance out of him. I don't know how many fans could have expected much out of Shanny at the end of the year. He's just gotten too old and its evident. Straka had a pt a game I don't expect much more out of him than that. Straka was never a player to finish every chance or get 15 pts in 10 games dominate the game.

BUT we did sign Drury for the PLAYOFFS. Like I said before, not to have a 55% success rate at the face off circle during the regular season, to score 25 goals during the regular season, put up 58pts, or penalty kill. We signed him to a $7 million dollar deal, which is a major contract, because of what he did for Buffalo in the Playoffs last season and for pretty much what he did to us. We had the mentality "We need that player in the Playoffs." He had 8 goals in 16 games in 06/07 on the Sabres and 9 goals in 18 games for the Sabres in 05/06. The player that helped them reach the conference finals each of those two years. When we sign a player for that kind of contract, for that kind of playoff history, thats what we expect to see in the playoff, the player so score the big goals. He was hurt? Yeah, so were a lot of players in the Playoffs. Tough it out. He is a professional sports player earning millions of dollars, I don't feel much pity for him because of that. It's because of those expectations that I labeled him that. We didn't have those expectations from Shanny, Avery, or Straka. And if anyone thinks otherwise I can't understand what they're thinking. This is the reason we signed Drury.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Fataldogg

sorry, didn't understand the one post and erased what I posted.

Old
06-01-2008, 07:03 PM
polako

Once I read your initial post, I knew people would be interjecting regarding Drury.

I wouldn't exactly call him a playoff choke artist, but he certainly didn't provide what we were expecting. The fact is, he played like a 3rd line center...his position. Problem is, he's being paid like a first line center. He was awful on the PP and just decent on the PK. I've heard the arguments about the kind of leadership and intangibles he brings, etc., that's great and all, but at some point he's going to have to earn that $7 million. Otherwise, he's not all that different from Bobby Holik when he was here, except for the fact that NYR are a winning team now, so people tend to overlook his less than stellar bang for the buck. Then again, it's not his fault someone paid him that money. But for those who say, "i don't care what he makes," well they should, because there's a salary cap in this league, and you have to manage your contracts wisely.

All that said, I like having Drury on the team. He's versatile. I just don't know if we can afford that luxury anymore. For the past 3 years, the team has been riding VERY cheap players in big positions (1st line LW-Straka, C-Nyls, and 1st pair D-Roz). Come next season, two of those spots will have to be upgraded, and that's going to cost $.

I agree with the rest of your list, but playoff choke for me goes to Shanahan. I'm sorry, but if you're out there 20 min a game, there needs to be more to show for, offensively and defensively.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 07:18 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*

Biggest Surprise [Regular Season]:Renney playing Hollweg after his dumb penalties

Biggest Disappointment [Regular Season]: Jagr

Playoff "Choke" Artist: Brendan Shanahan

Best Performance of the Year: Dubinsky in the whole playoffs. 8 pts in 10 games for a rookie is very good.

Most Enjoyable Aspect of 2007/2008: most of our youth playing well

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 08:02 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

vCash: 873

Biggest Surprise [Regular Season]: The #5... Montreal's comeback from 5 down... Marian Gaborik's 5 goals

Playoff "Choke" Artist: The Rangers Defense (Except Staal)

Best Performance of the Year: Jaromir Jagr, Game 4 against the Pens in the playoffs

Most Enjoyable Aspect of 2007/2008: Ownage of the Devils

Last edited by KotsyJr: 06-01-2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Staal was good
KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 08:13 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KotsyJr View Post

Biggest Surprise [Regular Season]: The #5... Montreal's comeback from 5 down... Marian Gaborik's 5 goals

Playoff "Choke" Artist: The Rangers Defense

Best Performance of the Year: Jaromir Jagr, Game 4 against the Pens in the playoffs

Most Enjoyable Aspect of 2007/2008: Ownage of the Devils
this i agree with except for the choke artist should say, "rangers defense, except marc staal"

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
this i agree with except for the choke artist should say, "rangers defense, except marc staal"
Agreed

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 08:25 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

vCash: 873
Consider it edited, my bad

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Hockey2000nyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post

i agree with this except that for rookie of the year u have to put both Dubinsky and Staal. Staal was sooo consistent throughout the whole season and was probably the most consistent rangers defenseman this whole season, dubi came on during the 2nd half of the season

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 08:43 PM
beastly115

Quote:

lmao, Drury the playoff choke artist. What a ****ing joke. I've explained this Drury thing so many times, you can search through my post history for the explanation. In the meantime, I'll leave you with this little parting gift:

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 08:52 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KotsyJr View Post
Consider it edited, my bad
not a problem....just was thinking about it and i figured thats what you meant

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 08:56 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0rac3 View Post
I think we cand agree that there were several players who should be labeled choke artists before Drury.
+1...

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
I did, but we paid him $7 million to have us win playoff games, not score 25 goals during the season. He'll have to play through that pain and extend the series for us to impress me. That's what major contracts do for me, raise my expectations. Straka averaged a pt a game, what more did you realistically expect from him?
Look at it this way, if he does not score those 25 goals during the regular season maybe we dont even make the playoffs. Drury is not worth 7 million. He is barely worth 5. At 4-5 Million Id say we got our moneys worth for him but he will never be a 7 million dollar man and those are the facts we have to face.

You cant dog a guy who played well despite an injury because he was over paid. Its not his fault Trader Glen offered him way to much money. If your boss comes up and says Im gonna double your salary are you gonna turn that down? Hell ****ing no you wont.

Shannahan was no where to be found. Calling Sean Avery pre-lacerated spleen. Nigel Dawes any one? Paging Ryan Callahan.

Drury is the last guy who you should be ragging on especially since he played injured.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubinsky4Calder08 View Post
Look at it this way, if he does not score those 25 goals during the regular season maybe we dont even make the playoffs. Drury is not worth 7 million. He is barely worth 5. At 4-5 Million Id say we got our moneys worth for him but he will never be a 7 million dollar man and those are the facts we have to face.

You cant dog a guy who played well despite an injury because he was over paid. Its not his fault Trader Glen offered him way to much money. If your boss comes up and says Im gonna double your salary are you gonna turn that down? Hell ****ing no you wont.

Shannahan was no where to be found. Calling Sean Avery pre-lacerated spleen. Nigel Dawes any one? Paging Ryan Callahan.

Drury is the last guy who you should be ragging on especially since he played injured.
I don't get it though. Jaromir Jagr is harassed during the season for leading the team in points BUT not living up to his past achievements and play, nor his total of an $8.4 million contract, but Drury gets a get out of jail free card for.... Not living up to his past achievements and play nor his $7 million contract? I don't get the double standard there. Everyone who was on top of Jagr the first 65 games of the season should have equally been on Drury, especially for the Playoffs.

If a team signs Kovalchuk to a major contract to score 50+ goals because he is a 50 goal scorer and he scores 29 goals than he was a bust that season. If you sign Drury to a major contract to score the big goals and win playoff games and he doesn't than he is a bust. That's how expectations work AND for me I had HUGE expectations for that man. I didn't for any of the other players that people keep mentioning. I didn't expect half the play from Shanny, Avery, or Straka compared to the notorious playoff player Chris Drury. And especially to call on guys like Dawes and Callahan? Come on now. You can't count on two developing rookies to win you games. They're not a bust, its called it was a learning experience. They shouldn't even be compared to Drury. That's what a reputation and a major contract does. It sets the standards and he didn't live up to the own standards he set for himself in the biggest city in the country. NY.

Old
06-01-2008, 11:46 PM
battlerex99

Drury scored 37 goals with 32 assists the year before we signed him playing on the first line with a top talent in Thomas Vanek in Lindy Ruff's open offensive system. With us he scored 25 goals (led our team) with 33 assists, on the THIRD LINE with TWO ROOKIES in Tom Renney's heavily defensive-minded system. What did you expect from him? Honestly. Given the circumstances he did pretty well.

battlerex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 12:17 AM
rickyrod

Biggest Surprise [Regular Season]: Jagr's goal tally

Biggest Disappointment [Regular Season]: Road record of 17-14-10.

Playoff "Choke" Artist: Shanny

Best Performance of the Year: Sean Avery vs The Devils

Most Enjoyable Aspect of 2007/2008: Watching the kids make strides towards the future, beating the Devils.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 03:25 AM
tlallstar6

vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to tlallstar6
theres lots of people that can be put ahead of drury in the "choking" category. meh. he hasnt played to earn that money yet, but it will be worth it sooner or later.

tlallstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerex99 View Post
Drury scored 37 goals with 32 assists the year before we signed him playing on the first line with a top talent in Thomas Vanek in Lindy Ruff's open offensive system. With us he scored 25 goals (led our team) with 33 assists, on the THIRD LINE with TWO ROOKIES in Tom Renney's heavily defensive-minded system. What did you expect from him? Honestly. Given the circumstances he did pretty well.
Bingo. Well said.

Too many people are relating Drury with his series-killing goal against us last year. The fact is, our team failed to push us beyond the 2nd round again. I don't think its fair to single out anyone as it's a team sport.

I think the real failure was that the entire team couldn't pull it together for an entire game. Either the offense was doing well and the defense was garbage (like game 1) or the defense was great and the offense couldn't manage to get a goal (like game two).

Roszival, Tyutin, Jagr, Straka and Shanny all had sub-par years. It appears Avery is becoming more injury prone and Lundqvist went through his annual "where'd my game go?" stage in the middle of the season.

Then Slats went out at the deadline and tried to find a diamond in the rough like he did with Avery instead of getting us a true piece of the puzzle like we all expected he would.

All in all, the 'fail' stretches across the board. Drury is absolutely over-paid (as is Gomez), but that's not his fault, its Sathers.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote