Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

EPHL, MWHL and MAHL

Old
06-01-2008, 01:33 PM
AHLFAN

vCash: 500
EPHL, MWHL and MAHL

As slow as these leagues are in announcing teams and owners. They could combine the teams and owners they have announced and make it into on league. The league could be known as the Atlantic Western Profession Hockey League.

AHLFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Kevin Wey

I guess I would note two things: Better to do things slowly at first and do it the right way than to rush things.

Secondly, just because a team isn't announced yet does not mean it does not yet exist. For instance, Evansville was well over a year in the making before it was announced. The EPHL has announced three teams. From sources that I trust, it is my understanding that the EPHL has two more teams that are definite to play next year and a strong possibility at a sixth team. It may be certain, too, I don't know (guess I could try and find out).

Again, think about announcing things at this time. We just had Memorial Day, which has the Indy 500 and the Coca-Cola 600. You don't want to compete with that for announcements. We have the NHL Playoffs. Do you really want to compete with that in hockey news? We have the NBA Playoffs. Do you want to compete with that in the sports world? Not, really. Soon, there will be a lull, and you can be the main sports news in your area regardless of the national sports news. You can compete with the NHL Draft in most markets in the United States and it won't be a problem, so around that time would be good. You'll probably want to avoid competing with the MLB All-Star Game, and that would be late, but...

Again, as long as the infrastructure of a team is actually in place, it's not a big deal that teams have not announced at this date. I will admit that it is better to announce in the winter, because of when many business determine their marketing budget for the year, but it is not death.

Lastly, I will be enormously surprised if the MWHL and MAHL merge. It'd make no sense, anymore, for the EPHL and MAHL to merge. The MAHL has a lot of teams announced, but only two have independent owners outside of the league: Fidel Jenkins with the Indiana Ice Miners and Andrew Miller with the Battle Creek Revolution. Jenkins has the coin to own a team, but his arena just doesn't have the capacity, in my opinion, to run a Single A team that's going to approach anything close to the SPHL. It's more commensurate with a semi-pro arena/market, like what the senior checking teams in the Great Lakes Hockey League play in. Battle Creek doesn't have the venue, either, in my opinion, having researched it. Battle Creek just picked up a great radio guy in John Meissner, so that's good, but... I don't know. I hope Battle Creek finds a way to make a go for the year just for Meissner's sake. He was with the Alabama Slammers when they folded. As I said, he's a joy to listen to. If Indiana, PA, had the market size and the venue, I'd tell Jenkins to move to the EPHL. As it stands, he might be better to move his team to the United Junior Hockey League (Jamestown has a team in that league now, and many of the AEHL teams moved to create that league).

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about the EPHL right now. I'm personally not too concerned about the MWHL at the moment. The MAHL is actually announcing teams at a somewhat fast rate, but when they're all owned by the league (and the league doesn't have the money to run one team, let alone many), it's easier to do that. The EPHL and MWHL are operating in a more traditional form: find ownership groups first, then announce them.

Kevin Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:33 AM
CrazyEddie20

Why would a traveling beer league team need a broadcaster? Honestly, no offense to the guy, but a team with less than 1,000 seats is going to waste a ton of money putting games on the radio. If he's doing straight sales with the broadcast as a bonus, maybe they can break even on his salary and the airtime if he's good at sales, but if he's just a broadcaster and PR guy, there's a $35,000 loss at the end of the season.

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote