HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any interest in Benjamin Breault

Old
06-02-2008, 09:44 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Any interest in Benjamin Breault

Sabres didn't sign Breault, so he's going back into the draft. If he goes undrafted, would you want to see him invited to the rookie camp? I haven't paid too much attention to him but thought he might have been worth a late round pick. So to those that have been watching him this year, would it be worth it to invite him to camp?

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Lucius

I will admit straight off that I've never, ever seen him play, so take this for what it's worth (nothing):

But his Hockeydb stats show a guy who is both smallish and never managed to dominate at the QMJHL level. We've seen guys bigger than him who did dominate and couldn't translate that to a more physical pro game. So what's his value?

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:54 AM
VanNistelrooy

Everyone who saw Junior (ONF Movie) will clearly say no to that kind of prospect. I wouldn't touch it. Drakkar fans are very disappointed with his numbers last two seasons.

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Sweeney

No... he can be really good sometimes, but like the posters before me said, everyone in Baie-Comeau is disappointed about him, lack of hearts I think and somtimes he can play very dirty

Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Montreal didn't ask if we want to give him an immediate 3-year deal here. Here's just talking about inviting him to a camp. I say of course that we should. I don't see how the guys from the Q we invited in the past were so much better than him.

I did witness throughout the years guys like Deblois, Tardif, Bisaillon, Dawson, Lavallée, Marcotte, Fréchette, Mouton, Neilson, Petit, Picard-Hooper, Joanisse, Labrie, Piché and all the others through rookie and development camps and actually, Breault is not that much worse than most of them. On the contrary. I'm obviously not suggesting that he can much further than that but he has some great qualities anyway.

It has to come down to how many players we can invite to those camps, especially since most of guys are NCAA or are or are not considered to go in those kinds of camps.

Does guys like Wyman go to a development camp again? I think it will be his 25th time already if he goes, but my bet is that he shouldn't, at least not at the development camp but at the rookie one for sure....

If most guys are headed directly to the big camp, and we still do a developmen and rookie camps, we need bodies. Breault fits in that category. But there will be other guys out there more interesting I definately agree.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Richybaby

No...Head is too big

Richybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 12:33 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=80408 too short for what we need.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
no thank you!

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Louis Houde

Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
he lacks maturity (a LOT)

Louis Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 01:15 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
What is it you think we need him for? I haven't followed him since his draft year but I wondered if he would be a guy to invite to camp, if he did well it would be for an ahl contract to play in Cincy like we have done with Beauregard, Desjardins, and Desharnais. It wouldn't cost much and it gives us depth in the ECHL, since we could see a couple of our ECHLers move up to Hamilton full time, depending on how many spots are open.

I'm sure Timmins will have some players already picked out to invite to camp this summer.

There's also Bryce Swan and Ben Shutron who are going back into the draft. i'd invite Cepek to the development camp assuming he goes undrafted, might be worth an ahl contract and a trip to Cincy next year.

Old
06-02-2008, 01:25 PM
1UP

ECHL bound, lack of desire, lack of grit.

Maybe an 8th or 9th round pick, in case he turns his life around.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 01:47 PM
pc_md

Quote:
Drakkar fans are very disappointed with his numbers last two seasons.
I don't think it was so much about his numbers than his general play. He has the talent to dominate but didn't do it on a regular basis. Like many, I've watched the movie "Junior" and it's clear that he seems to lack maturity (but that movie was filmed almost 3 years ago). The fact he will reenter the draft (and possibly go undrafted) could make him realize he has to put his heart into the game each and every shift. Timmins (or somebody working for him) should interview the guy, confront him and see how he reacts to his situation.

Quote:
I did witness throughout the years guys like Deblois, Tardif, Bisaillon, Dawson, Lavallée, Marcotte, Fréchette, Mouton, Neilson, Petit, Picard-Hooper, Joanisse, Labrie, Piché and all the others through rookie and development camps
Among those, my personnal favorite was Tardif. I always thought we should have signed him. He was doing the little things you'd expect from a grinder and he had some leadership. He's doing pretty well in the AHL so far.

Quote:
There's also Bryce Swan and Ben Shutron who are going back into the draft.
Does anybody know why they went unsigned ? Shutron only played 33 games this year but looked good with Kitchener during the Memorial cup.

Bryce Swan... I just don't get it. A 6'3 200 lbs player with decent numbers... He fits Burke's profile...

pc_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 02:40 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_md View Post
I don't think it was so much about his numbers than his general play. He has the talent to dominate but didn't do it on a regular basis. Like many, I've watched the movie "Junior" and it's clear that he seems to lack maturity (but that movie was filmed almost 3 years ago). The fact he will reenter the draft (and possibly go undrafted) could make him realize he has to put his heart into the game each and every shift. Timmins (or somebody working for him) should interview the guy, confront him and see how he reacts to his situation.

Does anybody know why they went unsigned ? Shutron only played 33 games this year but looked good with Kitchener during the Memorial cup.

Bryce Swan... I just don't get it. A 6'3 200 lbs player with decent numbers... He fits Burke's profile...
Thanks for the info on Breault. Swan I assume it's money cause he turned down the ducks offer. Shutron I don't know what the deal was, perhaps they weren't happy with his development?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
ECHL bound, lack of desire, lack of grit.

Maybe an 8th or 9th round pick, in case he turns his life around.
I figured he's ECHL bound, but there's only 7 rounds in the draft. My thought was that if he went undrafted, should we invite him to camp to see if he'd be worth an ahl contract to play in the ECHL.

Old
06-02-2008, 05:06 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
Everyone who saw Junior (ONF Movie) will clearly say no to that kind of prospect. I wouldn't touch it. Drakkar fans are very disappointed with his numbers last two seasons.
I saw that movie and I think the same thing. I wouldn't touch that prospect with a 10-foot pole. His agent is an idiot who ruined his developement, he seems to lack desire and intelligence (at least, off the ice) and there's no way that he fits in our organisation. Anyways, he's not skilled enough to become a top 2 line player for us and he's not gritty enough for bottom line duties.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

People are obviously putting too much emphasis on the Junior movie. If there were Junior movies all over the country, we might not want tons of players we want right now....

Kids are just kids. Everybody who has big time maturity already should be regarded really, really highly. Others should be dealt accordingly, some can't be fix, but others can be.

How you can put Breault in the "cannot fix" category with 5 minutes of random footage is beyond me....

I'm sorry but if I was basing myself on this footage solely, Lamontagne's attitude will be way more problematic to me than Breault's.....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 08:10 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
People are obviously putting too much emphasis on the Junior movie. If there were Junior movies all over the country, we might not want tons of players we want right now....

Kids are just kids. Everybody who has big time maturity already should be regarded really, really highly. Others should be dealt accordingly, some can't be fix, but others can be.

How you can put Breault in the "cannot fix" category with 5 minutes of random footage is beyond me....

I'm sorry but if I was basing myself on this footage solely, Lamontagne's attitude will be way more problematic to me than Breault's.....
Sorry, but the guy was extremely dumb to fellow his agent's reccomandation for his playing style.

Old
06-02-2008, 10:00 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Sorry, but the guy was extremely dumb to fellow his agent's reccomandation for his playing style.
Come on, he was 17yo!

He had 2 different messages from people who are supposed to help him and know the game... what would you prefer, that he doesn't listen to anyone and do whatever he likes?

He was a kid, nothing more, nothing less...

He's only 20 and still maturing, it's a normal process, everyone goes threw it.

The only idiots in that film were the adults (coaches, assistants and agents), not the players.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 12:07 AM
pc_md

Quote:
I haven't seen a post placing him in that category. But we have to wonder why the Sabres didn't sign him. And the attitude COULD be a cause. That's why I wrote that somebody should interview him before any attempt of signing the guy.

pc_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 12:37 AM
WeezyHabFan

nope

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 01:04 AM
Lucius

Quote:
I haven't seen a post placing him in that category. But we have to wonder why the Sabres didn't sign him. And the attitude COULD be a cause. That's why I wrote that somebody should interview him before any attempt of signing the guy.
No one was suggesting he be signed, simply invited to camp.

I don't see what he'd bring, but if he could potentially be something, it cannot hurt to bring him to rookie camp and find out.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 01:05 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Come on, he was 17yo!

He had 2 different messages from people who are supposed to help him and know the game... what would you prefer, that he doesn't listen to anyone and do whatever he likes?

He was a kid, nothing more, nothing less...

He's only 20 and still maturing, it's a normal process, everyone goes threw it.

The only idiots in that film were the adults (coaches, assistants and agents), not the players.
His agent was the worst idiot of all time...

BTW, nothing against Breault personally. He wasn't surrounded by the right people at a crucial time of his developement. I think he's too far behind and anyways he's not even that good.

Old
06-03-2008, 01:09 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
One issue from an observers point of view is that the Sabres already have a lot of players in the crafty/smallish forward vein in AHLer's Hunter, Schutz, Gerbe, Kennedy and Q returnee Byron that he did not out-perform.

06-03-2008, 10:57 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
I saw that movie and I think the same thing. I wouldn't touch that prospect with a 10-foot pole. His agent is an idiot who ruined his developement, he seems to lack desire and intelligence (at least, off the ice) and there's no way that he fits in our organisation. Anyways, he's not skilled enough to become a top 2 line player for us and he's not gritty enough for bottom line duties.
I didn't see the movie and haven't heard of it, so I will have to check on the net to see if I can find any clips from it.