HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Dumping the ball

Old
06-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Thefalkon

vCash: 500
Dumping the ball

So, today in practice we were doing a 3 v 2 drill. One player would dump the ball (I play ball hockey), and then the other 5 would go after it. So, I was the one dumping the ball and I can get some pretty good air time on it. I also started to notice that the ball after leaving my stick goes high left, then it starts spinning and dropping right. Also, after it bounces it has a good amount of side spin.

Then, we were just fooling around and we dumped the ball from the defensive blue line into the net (trying to hit the person sitting down). I am the first one to get it, it went high left and dropped right and hit him in the head.

After the ball drops it usually has a lot of side spin. Is it better to dump it like this if I get the chance than just slap dumping? Also, is there any chance that the side spin would mess up the goalie and spin right into the net?

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

It depends on the situation.

Your coming into the zone with speed, hard dump around the boards and let your winger try to race for the puck. If your skating slower, then you go for the big high soft dump and try to get it to land and stop against the boards, that way you can crash in and battle for the puck along the boards.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockey16 View Post
Also, is there any chance that the side spin would mess up the goalie and spin right into the net?

He** yes! If the goalie is going one way and the ball goes the other way, man you got a gold mine of a shot if you can do that.

Do you have tape on your stick? Or, are you using Mactack or Liquid Hockey Tape on your stick?

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Thefalkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
He** yes! If the goalie is going one way and the ball goes the other way, man you got a gold mine of a shot if you can do that.

Do you have tape on your stick? Or, are you using Mactack or Liquid Hockey Tape on your stick?

Head coach
You know those crap $20 sticks at Sports Authority? I was looking for a backup stick for my rec league, so I bought the cheap $25 Easton Synergy with a Sackic curve. I bought it because I loved the huge curve that it had compared to my old RBK:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-h...abs-jr-08.html (the only difference is that I have the '07 graphics)

I use no tape at all because I read somewhere that tape just adds friction when you are shooting on concrete. Nothing is on my stick, except a taped butt end.. It is as it was when I bought it in the fall.

If I can upload a video I'll do it either tonight or Saturday.

EDIT: It has a good enough amount of spin to change direction as soon as it hits the ground, and at a decent speed. I'll have to fool around with it more when I have practice on Wednesday. The has been the first time when I really recognized it.

Last edited by Thefalkon: 06-02-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockey16 View Post

I use no tape at all because I read somewhere that tape just adds friction when you are shooting on concrete. Nothing is on my stick, except a taped butt end.. It is as it was when I bought it in the fall.
Well, not that I want to sell you anything. But back in 1993, I found this product that I now sell under my label called "Liquid Hockey Tape". It is designed for fiberglass sticks. LHT is a rubberized coating that comes in a 16 oz can that you spray on your blade. Because fiberglass is porous, the LHT flows into those areas and kind of bonds with the fiberglass. It's pretty cool.

Well, because it rubber and not tape, it adds a little extra to your shot. Plus, you don't have to spray the bottom of your stick. And evern if you did, there is not friction. Once it drys, it's kind of like as hard as a spray on bed liner in a truck.

It runs about $15.00 for a can and you can get about 25 to 30 sprays out of a can, depending on how many coats you want to put on..

Ya, I know...shameless plug! If you are interested, send me a PM

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:48 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

To sum up in one sentence:

Putting spin on the ball when dumping is a great idea because it quickly changes directions, making the D or goalie mess up, and giving you extra time to work around the play.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote