HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zaborsky signed

Old
06-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Zaborsky signed

http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...ticleid=364983

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:02 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
5th rounder in '06. Anyone have first hand info on his projected future

06-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Here's a snippet from Prospect Park back in early March, when Zorro really turned it on:

Quote:
Second Star

Yes we know another spot lauding Tomas Zaborsky but you tell us when a guy scores at 19:51 of the 3rd period to break a 3-3 tie and win the game for his team what do you say?

We say that Zorro strikes again as that is exactly what happened as Tomas Zaborsky's 31st goal of the season was in fact the game winner as his Saginaw Spirit escaped with a 4-3 win over the Owen Sound Attack.

It was just another in the latest of Zaborsky's heroics as the 20 year old from Slovakia continues to strengthen his case for a contract from the Rangers. The Game's Second Star since February 2nd has been on fire with 16 points in 16 games (7-9-16) and if there was ever a time to get hot it is this time of the season.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:14 AM
squishy

This is an awesome surprise! I'd been told by someone who spoke to him in Hartford at the end of the season that he was only expecting an AHL contract. I know he's a long shot, but I can't help but like the kid.

Based on the limited time I saw him play in Hartford at the end of the season, he's at least a couple years away -- if he makes it at all. Sweet hands, solid in his own zone, but small and needs to build up his strength in order to avoid getting out battled.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Sounds like a solid signing. Glad to see more of our prospects making some noise.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:21 AM
squishy

Incidently, Zaborsky was among a group of players who's rights were set to expire yesterday that also included:

Zdenek Bahensky
Eric Hunter
David Kveton
Roman Psurny
Lukas Zeliska

However, it appears that because of the lack of transfer agreement between the NHL and IIHF, teams will retain the rights to their 2006 draftees who drafted out of Europe for a while longer (no one seems to know how long). So that means Kveton and Zeliska remain Ranger property for the time being. The others... buh bye.

Old
06-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
This is an awesome surprise! I'd been told by someone who spoke to him in Hartford at the end of the season that he was only expecting an AHL contract. I know he's a long shot, but I can't help but like the kid.

Based on the limited time I saw him play in Hartford at the end of the season, he's at least a couple years away -- if he makes it at all. Sweet hands, solid in his own zone, but small and needs to build up his strength in order to avoid getting out battled.
Agree, good signing and that analysis is pretty much how I see him.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Forechecker

Here's a post with a bit more detail on Zorro.

And I'm psyched they signed him. He really could be one of those late round gems.

Old
06-02-2008, 11:41 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
wow actual news...

But good thing...the kid has really developed and deserves a shot.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:54 AM
eco's bones

Rangers have him listed at 6'1''. Hopefully that's true. I had him at 5'11". That might put him out of the Dawes, Prucha category of size challenged finesse oriented wingmen.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:58 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Rangers have him listed at 6'1''. Hopefully that's true. I had him at 5'11". That might put him out of the Dawes, Prucha category of size challenged finesse oriented wingmen.
agreed, wlthough i wouldnt mind a good overall player at 5'11.....prucha just isnt that and dawes is all offensive too and very small and callahan isnt ofensive...put them all together and they are great.....but theres no point in having three players who are all small

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:59 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
agreed, wlthough i wouldnt mind a good overall player at 5'11.....prucha just isnt that and dawes is all offensive too and very small and callahan isnt ofensive...put them all together and they are great.....but theres no point in having three players who are all small
and none of them are gritty except callahan, and sometimes dawes but very rare. does zaborsky have grit to his game? im not talking about penalty minutes and toughness, im talking about going to the net, playing physical, playing along the dirty areas along the boards, or is he another finesse non physical forward???

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
and none of them are gritty except callahan, and sometimes dawes but very rare. does zaborsky have grit to his game? im not talking about penalty minutes and toughness, im talking about going to the net, playing physical, playing along the dirty areas along the boards, or is he another finesse non physical forward???
He's pretty solid defensively, so I would guess he isn't too shy about getting his nose dirty.

Old
06-02-2008, 12:16 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
He's pretty solid defensively, so I would guess he isn't too shy about getting his nose dirty.
its good that he is solid defensivly. does he play physical consistantly or only when he has to???

Old
06-02-2008, 12:28 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Incidently, Zaborsky was among a group of players who's rights were set to expire yesterday that also included:

Zdenek Bahensky
Eric Hunter
David Kveton
Roman Psurny
Lukas Zeliska

However, it appears that because of the lack of transfer agreement between the NHL and IIHF, teams will retain the rights to their 2006 draftees who drafted out of Europe for a while longer (no one seems to know how long). So that means Kveton and Zeliska remain Ranger property for the time being. The others... buh bye.
I'd like to see Zeliska and Kveton kept around.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 12:33 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I was not expecting this. And although i originally doubted him a little, not sure why, i am very pleased with this.

I was thoroughly convinced he would get an AHL contract.

Congrats to Zaborsky. He and Hillier have the tools. I hope they can put them all together.

If Korpikoski makes the NHL cut this year, i am convinced he will, I am hoping to see a top line of (even though both are listed as LW) Zaborsky - Anisimov - Hillier in Hartford.

As they are the only forwards that will be in Hartford that have a chance to be anything other then a 4th line marginal player in the NHL.

I really don't want to see time wasted on Byers, Bourret, and Moore on the top line.

IMO Zaborsky, Hillier, Anisimov are the only 3 with 3rd line or above NHL potential.

Byers, Moore, and Bourret are 4th line role guys.

Hillier, Zaborsky, and Anisimov can hopefully fill the 3rd line in the NHL in a year or two.

Anyone think Jessiman will be signed?

I'd like to see Wheeler (if he would go pro) and Azevedo too. And add some more depth in Hartford.

Zaborsky - Anisimov - Hillier
Jessiman - Azevedo - Wheeler sign them.
Byers - Dupont - Bourret
- Pyatt - Moore

Would be a pretty sweet team in Hartford this year.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 12:39 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
I was not expecting this. And although i originally doubted him a little, not sure why, i am very pleased with this.

Congrats to Zaborsky. He and Hillier have the tools. I hope they can put them all together.

If Korpikoski makes the NHL cut this year, i am convinced he will, I am hoping to see a top line of (even though both are listed as LW) Zaborsky - Anisimov - Hillier in Hartford.

As they are the only forwards that will be in Hartford that have a chance to be anything other then a 4th line marginal player in the NHL.

I really don't want to see time wasted on Byers, Bourret, and Moore on the top line.

IMO Zaborsky, Hillier, Anisimov are the only 3 with 3rd line or above NHL potential.

Hillier, Zaborsky, and Anisimov can hopefully fill the 3rd line in the NHL in a year or two.

I'd like to see Wheeler (if he would go pro) and Azevedo too. And add some more depth in Hartford.

Byers - Dupont - Bourret
- Pyatt - Moore

I think it's premature to pigeonhole Bourret as a 4th-liner. He's maddeningly inconsistent, but he has the tools to be a solid offensive contributor. Plus, he's only 21. He has plenty of time to round his game out.

I would like Jessiman to be re-signed. I've defended him to this point, and I think he warrants a look over one more season (but just one!).

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

how many signed players does that give us now?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 01:00 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
Prucha's not gritty? Come on now. He may be small, he may not be very strong, but to suggest he doesn't play a gritty game or venture into the dirty areas is just asinine. We're talking about a player who his coach was quoted as saying "has more guts than a slaugterhouse", in regards to his willingness to set up in front of the opposition net in his rookie season. And a player who singlehandedly tackled Colin White after Avery knocked Brodeur on his ass and has shown absolutely no reluctance to get involved in post-whistle scrums, despite the size miss-match.

I'll say this much: If Prucha doesn't qualify as gritty in people's books, Zaborsky certainly will not either.

Old
06-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Vitto79

Saw him play in the OHL and he was his teams best player........Plymouth I believe............He has a legite shot and he should play with Pyatt in Hartford this year as they were on the same line

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 01:14 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Prucha's not gritty? Come on now. He may be small, he may not be very strong, but to suggest he doesn't play a gritty game or venture into the dirty areas is just asinine. We're talking about a player who his coach was quoted as saying "has more guts than a slaugterhouse", in regards to his willingness to set up in front of the opposition net in his rookie season. And a player who singlehandedly tackled Colin White after Avery knocked Brodeur on his ass and has shown absolutely no reluctance to get involved in post-whistle scrums, despite the size miss-match.

I'll say this much: If Prucha doesn't qualify as gritty in people's books, Zaborsky certainly will not either.
well then why did renney not play prucha over hollweg in the playoffs??? and prucha was not hurt at the time

Old
06-02-2008, 01:21 PM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post

Byers - Dupont - Bourret
- Pyatt - Moore

terrible, terrible assessment

for Zaborsky or Hillier to be top line guys in the AHL next season would mean that the Wolfpack would be on the absolute bottom of the league. Tom Pyatt outscored both Hillier and Zaborsky by a wide margin if you compare his final year in juniors to their final years in juniors. He was a constant participant on Team Canada juniors and was playing half the season in the ECHL last year. He is just an example of any number of forwards that should be far, far ahead of either Zaborsky or Hillier next season in the AHL. That list also includes Brodie Dupont, a big kid with a tough game who played the entire season in Hartford last year. Hugh Jessiman (if resigned) has improved every season and deserves a shot at true top line minutes in Hartford.

To give up on a first rounder who is only 21 would possibly be the most retarded move a hockey club could ever make (bourret obviously). He has the skills to possibly be a top six forward and you are ready to give up on him at the ripe young age of 21?? Greg Moore earned time in the NHL last season and is supposed to be a great defensive forward, possibly a perfect third line winger in the NHL as soon as next season and you would rather see a kid who is 3 - 4 years away take his icetime in the AHL? And Byers is probably the next closest kid that we have ready to make the jump to the NHL. These kids who have shown improvement and the ability to make that jump are the kids who will get top line minutes in the AHL.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Forechecker

From Mitch Beck over at Howlings, in response to my question on Zorro's grittiness:

Quote:
we haven't really seen enough of him yet to get a fully compliment of the game that he plays. What I will tell you from the two games I've seen him play, is that he is a tough kid who plays a finesse/skill game. He's quick, controls the puck and LOVES to shoot the puck. If I were guessing, and that's all I would be doing at this point given how little I've seen him play, I don't expect him to be a corner banger. I expect him to be the sniper on whatever line he gets put on. Right now, and this is WAY too premature, but I expect he'll probably see playing time with Artie Anisimov.

Old
06-02-2008, 02:46 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:

Zdenek Bahensky
Eric Hunter
David Kveton
Roman Psurny
Lukas Zeliska

IS this true for Hunter since he has gone the college route?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 03:05 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
terrible, terrible assessment

for Zaborsky or Hillier to be top line guys in the AHL next season would mean that the Wolfpack would be on the absolute bottom of the league. Tom Pyatt outscored both Hillier and Zaborsky by a wide margin if you compare his final year in juniors to their final years in juniors. He was a constant participant on Team Canada juniors and was playing half the season in the ECHL last year. He is just an example of any number of forwards that should be far, far ahead of either Zaborsky or Hillier next season in the AHL. That list also includes Brodie Dupont, a big kid with a tough game who played the entire season in Hartford last year. Hugh Jessiman (if resigned) has improved every season and deserves a shot at true top line minutes in Hartford.

To give up on a first rounder who is only 21 would possibly be the most retarded move a hockey club could ever make (bourret obviously). He has the skills to possibly be a top six forward and you are ready to give up on him at the ripe young age of 21?? Greg Moore earned time in the NHL last season and is supposed to be a great defensive forward, possibly a perfect third line winger in the NHL as soon as next season and you would rather see a kid who is 3 - 4 years away take his icetime in the AHL? And Byers is probably the next closest kid that we have ready to make the jump to the NHL. These kids who have shown improvement and the ability to make that jump are the kids who will get top line minutes in the AHL.
Tom Pyatt had a horrible rookie season in the AHL. And was sent DOWN to the ECHL Charlotte Checkers.

And sorry, but guys like Moore, Byers, and Bourret will not be above average NHL players. Never.

If Moore cracks the 3rd line, that means our NHL team is in trouble.

Seriously, we need to stop overrating some of our prospects.

Bourret has been in the AHL for 3 years and has gotten WORSE, not better. His best year in the AHL was 3 years ago, and each year following he has either gotten worse, or simply not progressed at all.

I doubted Korpikoski at first, but the difference between a guy like Korpeedo and Bourret is that Korpikoski actually developed, whereas Bourret has taken steps BACKWARD.

And, take a look at the AHL roster right now, Zaborsky, Hillier, and Anisimov are by far and away the most talented forwards with the highest ceilings on that roster. Therefore, my assessment is NOT terrible. It is accurate.

The BEST players on the team play on the TOP lines.

The players with the highest potential play the MOST minutes.

the AHL is meant for that, it is meant to develop talent for the NHL. not hold it back so that marginal players at best get to take their time.

Excuse me if i don't get head over heals for guys like Byers and Moore who are dime a dozen players, and will never produce in the NHL. I could care less if Moore got to the NHL, so did Jamie Lundmark.

And besides, we have guys in the NHL right now who can fill the roles that Moore and Byers would be filling. Callahan, Dawes, Sjostrom (RFA) and yes even Orr are better NHL players then Moore and Byers ever will be. And aside from Dawes they are NOT top 6 quality, nor are they really 3rd line material either. Callahan does not even produce enough to be a 3rd line player, IMO. 8 goals is not gonna cut it.

The difference between guys like Zaborsky, Hillier, Anisimov compared to Bourret, Byers, and Moore, is that the later rely on their size and/or strength to win battles and produce at a lower level. Where as the other three use their SKILL. Their SKILL will translate more then Byers' size, which, no offense, is not NHL caliber. 6 foot 190 lbs is not intimidating anyone in the NHL...sorry.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote