Notices

Holik getting paid

Old
05-28-2008, 11:46 AM
The Sneak

vCash: 500
Holik getting paid

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2390...headlines_main

A court has ruled that the Rangers owe Frankencaptain his signing bonus of $3.5M even though he did not play due to the strike. Including the Thrashers money that makes over $10 million that Holik has gathered for not playing.

The Sneak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 02:44 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I don't know why he wouldn't get it. I mean, it's a signing bonus, and he was signed. Case closed as far as I'm concerned. It's not like the Rangers can't afford to give it to him either. Plus, it was the owners that locked out the players, not the other way around. On what ground did the Rangers organization think they could get away with not paying him in the first place?

05-28-2008, 04:32 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I don't know why he wouldn't get it. I mean, it's a signing bonus, and he was signed. Case closed as far as I'm concerned.
I don't know how many Thrashers games you watched this season, but this is just a play on the fact that Holik never really showed up for any games. I think he spent most of his on-ice time actually in the penalty box.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 04:45 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Holik was one of the few guys that didn't pack it in down the stretch.

To be honest, I just wonder how much different his stay in Atlanta would have been if he was playing with Ilya the last couple of years.

We certainly did not get our money's worth out of him, but I can't rag on him for dogging it.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 05:26 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Holik was one of the few guys that didn't pack it in down the stretch.
There was a lot of criticism of Holik and Thorburn before they started playing with Kovalchuk. More of Holik than of Thorburn. Down the stretch is meaningless when we're already out of the playoffs and he wasn't really there for the first 2/3rds of the season. Slater also showed up down the stretch, but it's not when we needed him the most.

The only indication anyone really had that Holik showed up for work that day was when he got called for a penalty.

Old
05-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

the problem with holik has been, and always will be, is that hes ridiculously overpaid for what he brings to the team. hes a 2.5-3 million dollar player MAX. the rangers gave him a sickeningly huge contract, and nothing has changed since.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 06:32 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
I don't know how many Thrashers games you watched this season, but this is just a play on the fact that Holik never really showed up for any games. I think he spent most of his on-ice time actually in the penalty box.
I didn't really watch any Atlanta games this year, except when they played the NW division teams and maybe one or two others. But it doesn't really matter. It's not a "show up and give it your all bonus", it's a signing bonus. He gets the bonus for signing with them, and since he did sign a contract, he's entitled to the bonus pretty much as long as he shows up to camp. The fact that he didn't play because the league owners didn't let him definately doesn't make him less entitled to his bonus money.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Whaddagoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
the problem with holik has been, and always will be, is that hes ridiculously overpaid for what he brings to the team. hes a 2.5-3 million dollar player MAX. the rangers gave him a sickeningly huge contract, and nothing has changed since.
I disagree - Holik has NOT been ridiculously overpaid throughout his career.

He's been a solid shut-down center since mid-90's, who put up (roughly) 50+ points a season. When he was younger he was extremely tough to knock off the puck and had decent speed and was naturally a huge physical presnce. He could stand up to the bigger stars of the day and shut them down effectively, while creating room for his own teammates... was great when used as a team's secondary scoring threat.

Holik put up 3 straight 60+ point seasons in a dead-puck era on a team which was defensively geared (yes before the Robinson era of the Devils...and Mogilny)..

The Rangers paid a lot for him, but they miused him, and expected him to be more of a primary scorer and less of a shut-down player. He would have faired a lot better and would been worth a lot more of that money he paid if they put him in a position to succeed. The Rangers went against what make Holik hugely successful on the Devils.

The Thrashers faired better than the Rangers, especially considering Holik was far older by the time he got here. He put in his offensive bit and played against the opposition's top lines, and was by far a key faceoff centerman (4th in FO% this season). The only qualm I can see is that he didn't (outwardly) seem like the best captain for the team, although who is to really say -- none of us were in the lockerroom...

Whaddagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 08:36 PM
dj4aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
It's not a "show up and give it your all bonus", it's a signing bonus.
All I'm saying is that you took Sneak's sarcasm seriously. Common sense dictates that a "signing bonus" is exactly that. Then again, I guess I can't really assume that other people know that I (or he) know what "signing bonus" really means.

Maybe I'll start writing disclaimers on my posts so people know that I actually know what words in the English language mean. Unlike the New York Rangers.

Old
06-02-2008, 03:14 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
All I'm saying is that you took Sneak's sarcasm seriously. Common sense dictates that a "signing bonus" is exactly that. Then again, I guess I can't really assume that other people know that I (or he) know what "signing bonus" really means.

Maybe I'll start writing disclaimers on my posts so people know that I actually know what words in the English language mean. Unlike the New York Rangers.
Not at all. I was commenting on the article, and the fact that they took it to court in the first place, not on The Sneak's comments.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote