HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'd like Koivu to retire as a Hab

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-25-2004, 10:53 PM
  #1
hosehead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: toronto
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
I'd like Koivu to retire as a Hab

There's quite a diverse opinion on Koivu but everytime a trade proposal or rumour comes up the main thing I think about is that he deserves to retire as a Hab (if he wants to). It's been a real shame that over the last 10-15 years (20 if you count Lafleur retiring & coming back) the best Habs players have been left to finish off their careers in other places (Robinson, Roy, Carbonneau).

Maybe it's not possible with free agency & the economics of todays game but the Habs always did things that set themselves apart from the other teams & I think having the current captain retire as a Hab would help restore some of the glory.

So, I'll ask 2 things of my fellow Habs fans -- should the Habs do everything possible to have Koivu retire as a Hab? (I say yes) & if you say yes would that include declining any offer that came along ie something that maybe would be in the Habs favor? (I say yes)

hosehead is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 10:55 PM
  #2
Kerberos*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,489
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosehead
So, I'll ask 2 things of my fellow Habs fans -- should the Habs do everything possible to have Koivu retire as a Hab? (I say yes) & if you say yes would that include declining any offer that came along ie something that maybe would be in the Habs favor? (I say yes)
Yes the habs should address death threats to Koivu so that he won't leave. Maybe even breaking one of his finger once in a while to show they mean business.

  Kerberos* is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 11:05 PM
  #3
hosehead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: toronto
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
Yes the habs should address death threats to Koivu so that he won't leave. Maybe even breaking one of his finger once in a while to show they mean business.
Is that how they kept Beliveau & Richard around so long??

hosehead is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 11:10 PM
  #4
ChemiseBleuHonnete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,401
vCash: 500
I don't know how I'll deal with the fact that he leaves if ever he leaves. He just means too much for me. He's the perfect exemple of working hard and heart. I think he'll stay forever. He likes the place, most of us like him, the owner likes him too. It's perfect like that.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 11:12 PM
  #5
Koivu11
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 161
vCash: 500
I agree, it wouldn't be the same without him.

Koivu11 is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 11:15 PM
  #6
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,310
vCash: 50
The team seems to be going in the right direction so I don't see any reason why he wouldn't want to sign a contract that would make him a hab for the rest of his career. And I have no doubt that BG and GG would like to have him here for that time as well.

Tuggy is online now  
Old
05-25-2004, 11:17 PM
  #7
Rahan
Registered User
 
Rahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ax˛+bx+c
I don't know how I'll deal with the fact that he leaves if ever he leaves. He just means too much for me. He's the perfect exemple of working hard and heart. I think he'll stay forever. He likes the place, most of us like him, the owner likes him too. It's perfect like that.
I feel the same way. Honestly, I would be disgusted if Koivu would be traded before his retirement. I don't know how bad, maybe disgusted enough not to follow hockey anymore. He really means a lot to this franchise and I want him to be our captain until he retires.

Rahan is offline  
Old
05-26-2004, 12:28 AM
  #8
Hab-a-maniac
Registered User
 
Hab-a-maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto via Calgary!
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,158
vCash: 500
I see Breezy going somewhere else someday, so I would venture to say that Saku will be the first lifelong Hab (whole career over 7 or 8 years) since Bob Gainey himself.

Hab-a-maniac is offline  
Old
05-26-2004, 06:19 AM
  #9
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I completely agree.

I really want his next contract to be alot like Alfredson's "Sen for life" deal, cept for the Habs of course!

Dan K is offline  
Old
05-26-2004, 07:09 AM
  #10
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,390
vCash: 500
I would like to see Saku raise the Cup with the Habs, and then retire ... as a Hab for life!

BLONG7 is online now  
Old
05-26-2004, 08:07 AM
  #11
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
As much as i would love too see Koivu retire as a Hab, i just dont think he will. Koivu is a small player, and it takes twice as much out of him as it would in a big player physically. For that reason i think Koivu's body will wear fast, especially after 30 years of age. IMO i think Koivu will be here as a first liner until 33-34. After that, he wont be as good of a first liner because of wear and tear. So the next best thing too do with Koivu would be too turn him into a third line C where he can play fewer minutes and still be effective. However, economincs will play a big part here, what if Koivu wants 3+ mill too play as a third line?? Will Gainey pay a 34 year old that much with a new CBA or will he go out and get a cheaper younger, grittier player for that position. I honestly dont think that Koivu will retire a Hab, unless he can overcome the physical wear, which i doubt he can with his ruged style of play.

Mooch is offline  
Old
05-26-2004, 08:15 AM
  #12
Chehabi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
As much as i would love too see Koivu retire as a Hab, i just dont think he will. Koivu is a small player, and it takes twice as much out of him as it would in a big player physically. For that reason i think Koivu's body will wear fast, especially after 30 years of age. IMO i think Koivu will be here as a first liner until 33-34. After that, he wont be as good of a first liner because of wear and tear. So the next best thing too do with Koivu would be too turn him into a third line C where he can play fewer minutes and still be effective. However, economincs will play a big part here, what if Koivu wants 3+ mill too play as a third line?? Will Gainey pay a 34 year old that much with a new CBA or will he go out and get a cheaper younger, grittier player for that position. I honestly dont think that Koivu will retire a Hab, unless he can overcome the physical wear, which i doubt he can with his ruged style of play.
At 34, he'll have played a lot of years in Montreal. He'd be signed as a UFA. He'd be team captain. He'll get paid only what he's worth.

Chehabi is offline  
Old
05-26-2004, 08:19 AM
  #13
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chehabi
At 34, he'll have played a lot of years in Montreal. He'd be signed as a UFA. He'd be team captain. He'll get paid only what he's worth.
I know, but will Koivu except a lower salary, and play as a third liner???

Thats the point im trying to make.

Mooch is offline  
Old
05-26-2004, 08:57 AM
  #14
Chehabi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
I know, but will Koivu except a lower salary, and play as a third liner???

Thats the point im trying to make.
Oh I see. I think I answered that (though obviously not clearly). Anyway, I think Koivu would accept a lower salary because remember he accepted 3.3 million per year a couple of years ago when he knew he was worth a lot more but he accepted it since he was injured for a lot of that season. I guess he'll accept 3rd line duty because he started his career as a 3rd liner behind Turgeon and Damphousse. Yzerman plays the third line in Detroit. Why wouldn't Koivu play 3rd line?

Chehabi is offline  
Old
05-26-2004, 09:03 AM
  #15
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chehabi
Oh I see. I think I answered that (though obviously not clearly). Anyway, I think Koivu would accept a lower salary because remember he accepted 3.3 million per year a couple of years ago when he knew he was worth a lot more but he accepted it since he was injured for a lot of that season. I guess he'll accept 3rd line duty because he started his career as a 3rd liner behind Turgeon and Damphousse. Yzerman plays the third line in Detroit. Why wouldn't Koivu play 3rd line?
Sometimes players just dont want too accept playing a lower role, Koivu probably isnt that type of player, but you just never know. I mean what if a contender offers him 5 mill too play on the second line?? Who knows what Koivu would do. All im saying is, its almost impossible too say at this point that Koivu will be a Hab for life, and that he will never play for any other team. The future is unknown imo.

Mooch is offline  
Old
05-26-2004, 09:08 AM
  #16
markov`
Registered User
 
markov`'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Top 2 in the world
Posts: 3,647
vCash: 500
I agree. I mean, when you think about the Habs, which player do you see first in your head?

I'm sure we're all the same.

markov` is offline  
Old
05-26-2004, 10:18 AM
  #17
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,422
vCash: 500
I truely beleive that Koivu WILL play his entire career with the habs, for many reasons.

-To trade him we would have to get a big ransom in return, and truthfully with his health history, I don't think alot of teams would pony up the offer it would take for us to move Saku. Management, I believe, would only look at moving Saku in a clear wim situation for the habs.

-I think Saku wants to stay here. Everything I hear and read makes me truely believe Saku WANTS to stay here. I mean with everything the city and fans have done for him over the years,I would imagine, would make it really hard for him to pack up and leave.

-I don't think money will ever be a big issue with Saku. Saku and his agent (can't remember his name again) see to be on the same wavelenght as management as far as Saku's value goes.

Darz is offline  
Old
05-26-2004, 10:58 AM
  #18
GB
Registered User
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: UK
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,518
vCash: 370
Send a message via ICQ to GB
The only way I'd be happy with Koivu leaving would be if he didn't win the Cup here and he was traded to a contender like Bourque's trade to the Avs. I'd rather he got a Cup or two here though

GB is offline  
Old
05-26-2004, 12:51 PM
  #19
rocketlives
Registered User
 
rocketlives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 793
vCash: 500
I'd like Koivu to retire as a Hab

Saku was born on November 23rd 1974. So he'll be 30 next November and he'll reach 31 only 2 months into the 2005-06 season. Gainey signed him for 2 years 2003-04 and 2004-05.

So, before the 2005-06 season Gainey will have to lock him in for the next 3 years at around $6 million a year if he's thinking long term with Koivu. Basically, Saku's next contract with the Habs should be a UFA type of contract. I doubt he'll be interested in signing for only one year given his tendency to get injured. Of course, the new CBA will have to be taken into considerartion as far as the amount and duration of the contract are concerned.

I believe it can safely be said that Koivu won't be traded by the Habs. He'll sign with them on a medium to long term basis or he'll try his luck in the UFA market.


SAKU KOIVU

rocketlives is offline  
Old
05-26-2004, 05:18 PM
  #20
EaGLE1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koivu11
I agree, it wouldn't be the same without him.
You would have to change your name, without him

EaGLE1 is offline  
Old
05-26-2004, 05:47 PM
  #21
Brisson11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,264
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
You would have to change your name, without him
And I would have to stop being a habs fan... AHHHH I DID NOT MEAN THAT!!!

Brisson11 is offline  
Old
05-26-2004, 06:28 PM
  #22
PJ Wiggum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to PJ Wiggum
There is no way Koivu will ever leave, he likes it here too much and the fans love him. I know that management knows if he left for nothing, it would be like the Richard riot.

PJ Wiggum is offline  
Old
05-26-2004, 06:54 PM
  #23
HFXMooseHabs
Registered User
 
HFXMooseHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,085
vCash: 500
I don't think Koivu will be here for his whole career. I see him being traded to a contender in the future.

HFXMooseHabs is offline  
Old
05-26-2004, 07:12 PM
  #24
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User
 
Bring_Bak_Damphousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
The only way I'd be happy with Koivu leaving would be if he didn't win the Cup here and he was traded to a contender like Bourque's trade to the Avs. I'd rather he got a Cup or two here though
I agree with you, but I still can`t imagine him in any other jersey.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline  
Old
05-27-2004, 10:39 AM
  #25
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by =CH=
I don't think Koivu will be here for his whole career. I see him being traded to a contender in the future.
Are you implying that the habs are NOT going to be contenders in the future?

Darz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.