HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Olesz

Old
06-01-2008, 02:16 PM
habs1988

vCash: 500
Olesz

Habs fan here...

I'm very thrilled about Olesz in the NHL. I think he was rushed to the NHL, but last season, he got about 0.5 ppg with 26 pts in 56 games.

What do you expect from him next season? Potential? Upside?

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post
Habs fan here...

I'm very thrilled about Olesz in the NHL. I think he was rushed to the NHL, but last season, he got about 0.5 ppg with 26 pts in 56 games.

What do you expect from him next season? Potential? Upside?
Yeah, he was indeed rushed, Martin even admitted that last season, and vowed not to make the same mistake with Frolik. But I think he really started to show what he can do late last season. If you pro-rate his stats for a full 82 game season, he would have scored 20.5 goals last season. I expect about 20 goals or more from him next season, and about 40-50 points.

He has very good potential, IMO he has the potential to be a great two-way Selke contending forward. He is very strong and is a great hitter, he really elevated his physical game late last season also. He's a beast on the PK. I'm not sure about his upside yet, probably 50+ points, but maybe more.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
Any idea who he might be paired with this upcoming season?

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Any idea who he might be paired with this upcoming season?
anywhere from Olli and Matthias on the first line if Matthias is moved up, or Olli and Zed if Matthias if Zed is not, or with McLean perhaps on the 3rd line, or up with Olli and McLean like parts of last season of no moves are made on offense, or with whomever's brought in. Which would greatly agitate most of us.

Pretty wide open answer, but Olli could be moved out as well. I see Olesz on the 1st or 3rd line. Booth-Weiss-Horton are the second, so it depends what moves are made on offense.

06-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
anywhere from Olli and Matthias on the first line if Matthias is moved up, or Olli and Zed if Matthias if Zed is not, or with McLean perhaps on the 3rd line, or up with Olli and McLean like parts of last season of no moves are made on offense, or with whomever's brought in. Which would greatly agitate most of us.

Pretty wide open answer, but Olli could be moved out as well. I see Olesz on the 1st or 3rd line. Booth-Weiss-Horton are the second, so it depends what moves are made on offense.
Yea I figured as much. He played very well coming back from his injury towards the end of the season. I hope he keeps that going into next and hopefully he won't have to sit out again as he has the past couple of seasons.

Old
06-01-2008, 03:56 PM
39ontheline

anyone else think Olesz could end up like a Jere Lehtinen type still? I do!

39ontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 04:28 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by 39ontheline View Post
anyone else think Olesz could end up like a Jere Lehtinen type still? I do!
I don't doubt it at all. The kid's got great vision and patience and plays a very mature game. His defense is very strong for such a young player, and he's got much more raw-offensive talent then Lehtinen.

JonathanHuberdoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jok-AtTheDriveIn-en View Post
I don't doubt it at all. The kid's got great vision and patience and plays a very mature game. His defense is very strong for such a young player, and he's got much more raw-offensive talent then Lehtinen.
Yeah, I think he can surpass Lehtinen status. He definately has the arsenal of skills & the body strength to do it.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Yeah, I think he can surpass Lehtinen status. He definately has the arsenal of skills & the body strength to do it.
IMO, his lower body strength is his greatest asset. The kid is so freaking strong on his skates it's amazing.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 12:18 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
I've seen him throw more then a few body checks, and when he does, he knocks guys flat on their *****.

JonathanHuberdoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 02:08 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Yeah, he was indeed rushed, Martin even admitted that last season, and vowed not to make the same mistake with Frolik. But I think he really started to show what he can do late last season. If you pro-rate his stats for a full 82 game season, he would have scored 20.5 goals last season. I expect about 20 goals or more from him next season, and about 40-50 points.

He has very good potential, IMO he has the potential to be a great two-way Selke contending forward. He is very strong and is a great hitter, he really elevated his physical game late last season also. He's a beast on the PK. I'm not sure about his upside yet, probably 50+ points, but maybe more.

He said that? I believe you, but do you have a link for that?

I wanted to see this kid this year.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Dionysus

What would it take for Ottawa to acquire Olesz? He would be great fit on the left wing of one of Ottawa's top three lines. Vermette might be available. Just trying to gauge Olesz value.

Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 03:46 PM
sinDer

Quote:

Starting the season with Olesz/Matthias/Zednick/McLean playing with Jokinen = NO PLAYOFFS

are you aware of this?

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post
Starting the season with Olesz/Matthias/Zednick/McLean playing with Jokinen = NO PLAYOFFS

are you aware of this?
I'm aware of what we have and what the top line could be based on what it was last season. With a new coach and whole season of Matthias, we don't know what the season holds. I'm not saying Matthias will be the savior by any means, we simply don't know.

He asked what line he could be on, I told him based on what we have, not what we may get.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 04:14 PM
PanthersRule96

Just for future reference:
As much as I know Matthias could make our top line at some point of the season, or even start there, every time other teams see that Matthias is our projected first line center, it makes us look stupid collectively as panthers fans. He has a ton of potential but some people say his upside is a good 2nd line 2 way center, not even top line, so throwing him on the top line and expecting us to make the playoffs with him there isn't a good idea. We relied on Horton, Weiss, Olesz, and Bouw to improve and lead us into the playoffs and they've progressed slightly slower than expected for the most part and that's after a few years of progression, so expecting the same out of Matthias isn't smart. The smartest move we could make would be sign a solid offensive forward out there who can play 1st or 2nd line (not another Zednik, McLean etc...) and let Matthias start the year out on the 3rd line with players like Olesz and Kreps or Peltonen or Stumpel or Zednik as his wingers. That way he doesn't have the pressure of being a savoir for the team.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
He said that? I believe you, but do you have a link for that?

I wanted to see this kid this year.
I don't have a link, just google it, also include Sun-Sentinel, which is I think the paper which quoted him. He may make the team this year, Martin isn't going to definitely keep him off it, but he won't make it if he's not ready. IMO, it's an outside shot he makes the team.

Old
06-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaterhassasin View Post
What would it take for Ottawa to acquire Olesz? He would be great fit on the left wing of one of Ottawa's top three lines. Vermette might be available. Just trying to gauge Olesz value.
Martin is obsessed with Olesz and he's not going to trade him unless an overpayment is coming the other way. Ottawa would have to send a lot more than Vermette. I can't see him being traded.

Old
06-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post

are you aware of this?
I wouldn't say that necessarily. With a full season of the Sunrise Xpress together, the addition of a quality puck moving defenseman, more games from Anderson, a bounce back year from Jokinen, and maybe being better from the addition of a new coach, I think we should contend for the playoffs. We'll see what happens this summer, but I think if everything that Martin has outlined as his plan goes swimmingly, then we should be a fringe team, battling for the 7-8 spot at least.

Old
06-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Just for future reference:
As much as I know Matthias could make our top line at some point of the season, or even start there, every time other teams see that Matthias is our projected first line center, it makes us look stupid collectively as panthers fans. He has a ton of potential but some people say his upside is a good 2nd line 2 way center, not even top line, so throwing him on the top line and expecting us to make the playoffs with him there isn't a good idea. We relied on Horton, Weiss, Olesz, and Bouw to improve and lead us into the playoffs and they've progressed slightly slower than expected for the most part and that's after a few years of progression, so expecting the same out of Matthias isn't smart. The smartest move we could make would be sign a solid offensive forward out there who can play 1st or 2nd line (not another Zednik, McLean etc...) and let Matthias start the year out on the 3rd line with players like Olesz and Kreps or Peltonen or Stumpel or Zednik as his wingers. That way he doesn't have the pressure of being a savoir for the team.
I agree that we shouldn't pin any hopes on the kid, and I'm not, I was just going off what Olli said about the kid when he was up. He said he was willing to move to the wing to play on a line with him and really enjoyed playing with him. Olli's done a good job with less skilled guys like McLean, he may be able to do some things with Matthias.

This team as a whole has been embarrassing, I don't think there's too much to make us look worse.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:18 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
I agree that we shouldn't pin any hopes on the kid, and I'm not, I was just going off what Olli said about the kid when he was up. He said he was willing to move to the wing to play on a line with him and really enjoyed playing with him. Olli's done a good job with less skilled guys like McLean, he may be able to do some things with Matthias.

This team as a whole has been embarrassing, I don't think there's too much to make us look worse.
Sad, but true on several levels.

I, for one, shudder at the thought that we would rely on a rookie to fill our 1st line. Matthias should turn out to be a keeper, but he certainly isn't in the phenom range, which is what a team like this would need when sticking a 1st year player in that scenario.

Ease him in, let him develop at a reasonable pace, and bring in a first liner to fill the void until Shawn is ready, if ever. Sending boys in to do a man's job is not going to get us into the playoffs.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

What's a realistic point projection?

Old
06-02-2008, 08:24 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
For Olesz I'd predict about 20-25 goals, another 20-25 assists, possibly more. I'd say around 45 points, while playing a great 2 way game.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:24 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
For Olesz I'd predict about 20-25 goals, another 20-25 assists, possibly more. I'd say around 45 points, while playing a great 2 way game.
Thats exactly what I think, 40-50 points with 20-25 goals

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
I'd go with the 45-50 points as a career upside. I think most seasons will see him missing a few games with minor injuries and since he gets put wherever the coach needs him, he'll tend to be in the 35-40 point range. Next season I'd say that's the likely projection, presuming a raised level of overall talent on the team.

06-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Tuco

Olesz will be a very good two way winger on top two lines.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote