HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

SJ and CBJ deal

Old
06-02-2008, 06:47 PM
dougy

vCash: 500
San Jose-Columbus deal may be in works

Quote:
SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS(via Kukla's Korner): David Pollak reports an NHL source not tied to the Sharks or Columbus Blue Jackets suggests the two teams could be closing in on a deal. "San Jose would send Marleau and another player (unspecified) to the Blue Jackets for their first-round draft pick — 6th overall in the NHL entry draft later this month — and right wing Nikolai Zherdev', writes Pollak.
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...e-particulars/

Quote:
SPECTOR'S NOTE: If the Sharks do make this deal it's more for the prospect of a high pick in a deep draft and for cutting some cap space for as Pollak points out Zherdev's salary would be roughly half for next season than Marleau's $6 million-plus. Marleau's new two-year, $12.6 million contract with a no-trade clause is tough to move but I have to admit that Columbus would be a viable destination, as they have the cap space (over $20 million according to recent reports) and are desperately seeking a quality center for Rick Nash's line. Still, it's an expensive gamble, as Marleau's stats dropped significantly last season, but perhaps paired with Nash he'd regain his scoring form.

Discuss...

dougy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

SJ and CBJ deal

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...e-particulars/

Marleau and Player X in exchange for Zherdev and the 6th.

This is being highly discussed in both respective forums.

So i present to the masses. Who do you think player X is, or who it should be, etc.

Discuss.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

we must have been making this thread at the same time...

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 06:51 PM
dougy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 View Post
we must have been making this thread at the same time...
well cheers to that. Mods can we get a merge?

Last edited by dougy: 06-02-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old
06-02-2008, 06:51 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Interesting...and it becomes more viable when you consider that the Jackets are supposed to be in a "win now" mode more than ever. I could definitely see them trading the sixth pick.

I'm not entirely sure why San Jose does it as this seems to be a step backward for a team mired in an endless search for the missing piece to propel them into the SCF. I don't see how Zherdev and the sixth pick helps them achieve that in the immediate future.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 06:56 PM
dougy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Interesting...and it becomes more viable when you consider that the Jackets are supposed to be in a "win now" mode more than ever. I could definitely see them trading the sixth pick.

I'm not entirely sure why San Jose does it as this seems to be a step backward for a team mired in an endless search for the missing piece to propel them into the SCF. I don't see how Zherdev and the sixth pick helps them achieve that in the immediate future.
I still think that depending on that extra player going the way of columbus, San jose walks away from this deal the winner. They add a younger more dynamic scorer albeit with a questionable work eithic, but also a potential franchise defenceman through the draft.

Old
06-02-2008, 07:01 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
I think Marleau+Carle for Zherdev+6th is the most likely deal, and one that I think works out well for both teams.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:02 PM
mkearney913
Bob Ross

I'd call Player X Joe Pavelski. Pavelski's finding the back of the net and his performance in the playoffs warrants greatness yet to come, plus with losing Peca to free agency, as a #2 center, he'd do very well.

mkearney913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
The deal would likely free up the resources needed to sign Campbell to a long-term contract, so it does make some sense over the short-term if that is the case. Plus, Marleau's NTC kicks in soon and dealing him sooner rather than later ups the number of potential suitors and presumably what they can get back in return.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Comely

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougy View Post
I still think that depending on that extra player going the way of columbus, San jose walks away from this deal the winner. They add a younger more dynamic scorer albeit with a questionable work eithic, but also a potential franchise defenceman through the draft.
it all depends on what the + is, what if its Marleau+Cheechoo for Zherdev+6th. I dont know what others think but I think the second player needs to be decent because Marleau is not even close to Zherdev + 6th pick, although he is probably more valuable then Zherdev so the one for one deal doesnt work either.

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Hemsky4PM

The 6th pick is a very good asset this summer (Schenn, Filatov, Myers, Wilson). I think it's a deal worth considering for San Jose. They could probably move Carle in the trade and get something else back and have some room to keep Campbell. I think a few dominos need to drop for a deal like this to happen. The first being Marleau willing to move on to Columbus.

Hemsky4PM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

I don't know if I would do it if I were Columbus unless player X is someone special.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:07 PM
cheechoo train
#playoff_fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
The deal would likely free up the resources needed to sign Campbell to a long-term contract, so it does make some sense over the short-term if that is the case. Plus, Marleau's NTC kicks in soon and dealing him sooner rather than later ups the number of potential suitors and presumably what they can get back in return.
Plus, the Sharks don't have a pick until the 4th round, and DW loves his picks/trading them away. Knowing him, he may even trade the pick away to get more picks.

I also think the other player would be someone like Carle since he is an offensive defenseman that the Jackets need and is young. Plus, Carle makes about the same amount as Zherdev, so the Sharks would basically be dumping close to 6.5 million in salary that can be used directly to re-signing Campbell.

cheechoo train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:09 PM
cheechoo train
#playoff_fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
The 6th pick is a very good asset this summer (Schenn, Filatov, Myers, Wilson). I think it's a deal worth considering for San Jose. They could probably move Carle in the trade and get something else back and have some room to keep Campbell. I think a few dominos need to drop for a deal like this to happen. The first being Marleau willing to move on to Columbus.
He wouldn't have a choice before July 1st, which is when his NTC starts.

cheechoo train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkearney913 View Post
I'd call Player X Joe Pavelski. Pavelski's finding the back of the net and his performance in the playoffs warrants greatness yet to come, plus with losing Peca to free agency, as a #2 center, he'd do very well.
No, Player X is not Joe Pavelski. Who is going to center the Sharks second line if they trade Marleau and Pavelski? Marcel Goc? Jeremy Roenick? Joe Pavelski is the last player (obviously not taking into account Thornton and Nabokov) that would be dealt in a deal WITH Marleau.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Marleau and Carle are probably the two players going to Columbus. It frees up space to sign Campbell, and Carle replaces Ron Hainsey in Columbus.

Some Jacket fans think Cheechoo or Michalek or even Thornton (lol), but Carle is the most likely guy to fill that spot.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:15 PM
mercury

I would guess it's a defenseman, and that SJ is going to try to re-sign Campbell.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

Great deal for both sides if it is Carle imo, and I rarely say that on any deal

btw: Pollack is a pretty respectable guy from all of hist stuff I've read over the course of the season, which is why I'm more inclined to believe this rumor has an ounce of truth

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Peter Griffin

Marleau to Columbus makes a lot of sense. They have a need for a top line center and have plenty of cap space to absorb Marleau's salary. Not sure they'd be willing to move Zherdev and the 6th overall in the same deal unless it was a for an elite player, and after last season Marleau has some question marks.

I see Vancouver getting involved with talks for Marleau if he is indeed made available, although I doubt they can compete with Columbus.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Frenzy1

I am thinking Rivet. But it could be Carle or Vlasic....

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:31 PM
State of Hockey

Player "X" had better be a good one or else Columbus gets killed. Zherdev was tremendous last year, and, IMO, is worth as much than Marleau to Columbus at this moment. Marleau's salary is huge.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:31 PM
BearChi

player x might be goc or carle or mclean

BearChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Transported Upstater

Zherdev and a 6th overall is a pretty nice return, I'd think that Player X is someone worth something.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
I am thinking Rivet. But it could be Carle or Vlasic....
Carle, Rivet - possibly.

Vlasic - no way in hell. I cannot see the Sharks dealing Vlasic.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 07:35 PM
ginner classic

I look at both sides of this and it looks a bit expensive for both sides. To be honest, Carle, Marleau makes Columbus a lot better than it makes San Jose worse. I think Columbus gives up a bit too much in this but there are very, very few centers available in the league and a lot of teams with doughnut lines looking (anaheim, vancouver, chicago, columbus etc.).

ginner classic is online now   Reply With Quote