HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2003 draft class

Old
06-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Hockey2000nyr

vCash: 500
2003 draft class

that class has proven to be one of the deepest in just 5 years, 29 out of the 30 first rounders have made their NHL Debut already and some have even started to prove to be star talent. although hugh hasnt made it to broadway just yet hes gotta be doing it soon.

does anyone know when the last draft class had all of its 1st rounders make it to the nhl even for just a few games?

who were your favorites going in and how have they faired since then?

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 10:13 PM
NYRCNS39

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1983e.html

wow, 20 years

NYRCNS39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 10:35 PM
NYR27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCNS39 View Post
esa at 80? - wow

NYR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 11:10 PM
UAGoalieGuy

A Look Back at the Rangers 2003 Draft

1st Round (12th Overall): Hugh Jessiman (NHL Project/Prospect) Hugh has not and more then likely will not turn into the player that Sather though he could. I know its been beaten to death but Hugh is the only 1st rounder who has not played an NHL game yet in one of the deepest drafts in recent history. Hugh is starting to fill out his frame and contribute on a regular basis in Hartford. I see him not making the team out of camp this season (But being one of the last cuts) and being one of the first call-ups in case of an injury

Projection: 3rd/4th liner

2nd Round (50th Overall): Ivan Baranka (NHL Bust) I say NHL bust because of the fact that he signed over in Russia and more than likely will not be coming back to the United States to play in the NHL. That cuppled with the numorous injury plagued seasons.

Projection: Career Euro-Pro

3rd Round (75th Overall):Ken Roche (NHL Bust) Had pretty decent numbers at BU but couldn't translate his colligate game to the professional level, even at the ECHL level. I do not think the Rangers tendered Roche a contract and he is currently playing for Johnstown of the ECHL.

Projection: Career Minor Leaguer

4th Round (122nd Overall): Corey Potter (NHL Prospect) Potter is a pleasant surprise the past coupleseasons in Hartford. I for one didn't think much of him when the pick was made, but he has turned into quite the nice prospect, who will more than likely be given a series look at training camp this fall to make the team as a 3rd pairing D-man. Potter didn't really put up numbers while playing for MSU, but this past season in Hartford he had 32 pts while having over 100 PIMS.

Projection: 3rd Pairing D-man

5th Round (149th Overall): Nigel Dawes (NHL Player) Dawes was a nice mid to late round pick up by the Rangers that really paying dividends right now at the NHL level. After putting up solid numbers in the WHL and in the AHL, Nigel's skills translated to the NHL level this season with 14 goals and 29 pts in his rookie campaign (61 games). The Rangers will turn to Dawes to increase his scoring next season and be a keep kog to the offense. Don't be surprised to see 30 goals from him in a season or two.

Projection: 2nd Line Winger

6th Round (176 Overall): Ivan Dornic (NHL Bust) I really don't know much about Dornic to tell you the truth. He is currently playing in the slovakian league and is not producing at all. It's safe to say we'll never see him in the NHL.

Projection: Career Euro-Pro

6th Round (179th Overall): Phillip Furrer (NHL Bust) Phillip never has nor will he ever leave Bern in the Swiss A League.

Projection: Bern For Life!

6th Round (180th Overall): Chris Holt (NHL Bust) With their 3rd pick in the 6th round the Rangers took Holt from UNB: Omaha. The Rangers needed another goalie for their system and they addressed it by selecting Holt, who has a very solid colligate career. Holt has spent the last few seasons going up and down between Hartford and Charlotte, with the majority of his time spent with the Checkers. Holt has found himself way down in the depth charts behind Lundqvist, Valliquette, (Formally) Montoya, (Presently) Leneveu, and Wiikiman.

Projection: Career ECHL'er

7th Round (209th Overall): Dylan Reese (NHL Bust) Another NCAA player selected by the Rangers in this draft, who put up solid numbers as a backliner for Harvard. I do not believe the Rangers offered Reese a contract and is currently playing for San Antonio of the AHL.

Projection: Career AHL'er

8th Round (243rd Overall): Jan Marek (NHL Bust) Marek looked as he could be a late round gem a little over two years back. Marek put up great numbers with Sparta of the Czech Elite League and continued his success in the RSL. When it became evident that Marek would not sign with the Rangers, he was packaged in the deal that aquired Sean Avery from the Kings. Marek then refused to sign with the Kings and will remain in Russia for the rest of his playing days.

Projection: Russia for the Rest of his playing days.

In summary, if it was not for Dawes, this draft would be just about a complete bust for the Rangers. Potter could turn out to be a marginal NHL player and who knows how Jessiman will end up. Dawes should be a significant contributor for the Rangers next season and many more to come.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Hockey2000nyr

i know jessiman wont become the first line power forward we all were hoping for when he was drafted, but also u gotta remember, todd bertuzzi didnt really breakout until he was 26-27 years old....yes its wishful thinking that jessiman can become what he was once thought to be and yes bertuzzi did do all of his maturing playing minutes in the NHL, but hey u never know.

who out of the whole 2003 draft did u think was the best sleeper pick of the draft?

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 12:00 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Oh crap. crap. crap. Summer pre-draft weeks means it's time for those lament-about-Hugh-Jessiman threads. AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 12:01 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post
i know jessiman wont become the first line power forward we all were hoping for when he was drafted, but also u gotta remember, todd bertuzzi didnt really breakout until he was 26-27 years old....yes its wishful thinking that jessiman can become what he was once thought to be and yes bertuzzi did do all of his maturing playing minutes in the NHL, but hey u never know.

who out of the whole 2003 draft did u think was the best sleeper pick of the draft?
bertuzzi was in the nhl at 22 years old. jessiman is 24 and have not made it yet

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
bertuzzi was in the nhl at 22 years old. jessiman is 24 and have not made it yet
While I don't think Hugh will be anything close to Bertuzzi or anything of the sort, a lot of people forgot he lost a whole year of hockey due to injury.

I think if Hugh continues to improve as a role player he can be an effective NHLer still.

Sleepers of the draft:
Jaroslav Halak - 271st pick, Montreal
Tobias Enstrom - 239th pick, Atlanta
Dustin Byfuglien - 245th pick, Chicago
Joe Pavelski - 205th pick, San Jose

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
While I don't think Hugh will be anything close to Bertuzzi or anything of the sort, a lot of people forgot he lost a whole year of hockey due to injury.

I think if Hugh continues to improve as a role player he can be an effective NHLer still.

Sleepers of the draft:
Jaroslav Halak - 271st pick, Montreal
Tobias Enstrom - 239th pick, Atlanta
Dustin Byfuglien - 245th pick, Chicago
Joe Pavelski - 205th pick, San Jose

Enstrom would be my pick as well. He's a great player.

As far as Jessiman is concerned, I could see him being a notch below Ryan Malone in terms of ability / playing style. Might be good for 15-20 goals, but makes a living parking himself in front of the cage and screening the goalie, working the low boards and getting into the occasional scrap now and then. I'd be very happy if he ended up like that to be honest. That's a player we desperately need on this team, and it'd be great to fill that gap from within.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 09:24 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Ah, the 2003 draft...the bleeding scab that has yet to heal, and gets picked at every year at this time.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Oh crap. crap. crap. Summer pre-draft weeks means it's time for those lament-about-Hugh-Jessiman threads. AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!

Hey! Don't be ungrateful because summer POST-draft weeks mean we get to find out everyone's favorite seat at the garden, which players they liked as kids, or one of those 'for-fun-tell-us-about-yourself' threads.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

The Rangers signed Dan Girardi (an 84 birth year) as an undrafted free agent and he has developed as a 1st round talent...Doesn't that make up for the sting a little bit? I think so but I'm sure I'm in the minority...

Was the Jessiman pick bad? Sure, but it's doubtful anything can be said in this thread that hasn't been said before. I'll add this though..IT seems like since 03 the Rangers learned a valuable lesson about drafting high risk high reward kids in the 1st round...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:10 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Ah, the 2003 draft...the bleeding scab that has yet to heal, and gets picked at every year at this time.
Naturally. Because those who panned that draft at the time and in the years subsequent were shouted down. They were told time and time and time again, "Don't you know ANYTHING???????????????????????????????????????? You have to wait FIVE YEARS before you can judge a draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Very well. Five years have passed. Let us evaluate it under the criteria established and with the benfit of time. Let us not ***** that it's a beaten topic. Let us do exactly as we have been urged to do by those who once whined that it was being judged too quickly. In fact, they should be the FIRST to offer up their commentary - even though they seem to be first to call for an end to the discussion now by complaining that it's beating a dead horse.

So. Five years having passed, how was that draft for the Rangers? And like it or not, the feature of that draft, as all others, is the team's first round pick.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:28 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Naturally. Because those who panned that draft at the time and in the years subsequent were shouted down. They were told time and time and time again, "Don't you know ANYTHING???????????????????????????????????????? You have to wait FIVE YEARS before you can judge a draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very well. Five years have passed. Let us evaluate it under the criteria established and with the benfit of time. Let us not ***** that it's a beaten topic. Let us do exactly as we have been urged to do by those who once whined that it was being judged too quickly. In fact, they should be the FIRST to offer up their commentary - even though they seem to be first to call for an end to the discussion now by complaining that it's beating a dead horse.

So. Five years having passed, how was that draft for the Rangers? And like it or not, the feature of that draft, as all others, is the team's first round pick.
At the time I just wanted Parise at 12. Would've made the whole draft for me.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:33 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982 View Post
At the time I just wanted Parise at 12. Would've made the whole draft for me.
The Rangers would be a totally different team if they drafted Parise and they kept him at his nature position, center. One of Drury or Gomez would not have been signed possibly and that money could have been used elsewhere. Nice to dream of what could have been...

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:45 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Did you expect any different? Although, when looking at that year's draft and what it has meant to the Rangers, it is rather painfull.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 10:46 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Hey! Don't be ungrateful because summer POST-draft weeks mean we get to find out everyone's favorite seat at the garden, which players they liked as kids, or one of those 'for-fun-tell-us-about-yourself' threads.
You left out favorite bands.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 12:19 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
The Rangers would be a totally different team if they drafted Parise and they kept him at his nature position, center. One of Drury or Gomez would not have been signed possibly and that money could have been used elsewhere. Nice to dream of what could have been...
i wanted dustin brown, he is a ny kid. and i wanted ralfaski and gomez last year.

Old
06-03-2008, 12:20 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Too many if's for one man to handle.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 12:40 AM
The Thomas J.*

We need to move on from 03', mistakes were made & learned from.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 07:28 AM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Did you expect any different? Although, when looking at that year's draft and what it has meant to the Rangers, it is rather painfull.
This draft will haunt us for a long time. Every team but us has picked up a franchise or an impact player. We only have a 5th round pick to show for it.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:29 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
This draft will haunt us for a long time. Every team but us has picked up a franchise or an impact player. We only have a 5th round pick to show for it.
well the 5th round pick is better than nothing, gotta think positive

Old
06-03-2008, 09:42 AM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
Why not look at the positive? At least we are the New York Rangers and might be able to sign some of these guys to big money free agent contracts in three years!! ****ing 2003.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:44 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post

What board did that take place on? Because it certainly wasn't this one. This board has always been dominated by the doom-and-gloom troop that seems to view ultimate success as Sather being publicly flogged. Usually it was S.O.S. and a few newbies against the world.

I was extremely underwhelmed with the Jessiman pick but I do not see what the problem was with waiting to see what happened. The predictions on this board are rarely, RARELY accurate, otherwise we would still be out of the playoffs and our center depth for the last decade would have included (at least one of) Lundmark and Malhotra. Speaking of our '98 1st rounder (the original "Wait-and-see kid") would Jessiman becoming a bottom six player on a terrible team constitute a "told-you-so" success as it did for Manny? Fingers crossed.

McRanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Someone needs to print these threads out and mail them to Jessiman. Maybe it'll light a fire under the guys ass.

..of course maybe it'll just make him cry.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote