HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

JdM news: AKost, Sundin, Hossa, Jagr, new Rules....

Old
06-03-2008, 08:17 AM
zzoo

vCash: 500
JdM news: AKost, Sundin, Hossa, Jagr, new Rules....

Some news from JdM:
- Signing A.Kost is Gainey top priority

- Sundin may want to play for a Canadian team, because he has a lot of Canadian funds. According to the newspaper, if he plays in US, those funds will become taxable, and the rate may be as high as 50%. It doesn't mention the kind of funds.
- Sundin and his agent seem to ask for $7M/year
- Jagr is actually in Mexico, waiting for an offer from NYR, but it may not come
- Hossa wants to stay in Pittsburgh. As opposed to rumors, Pitts also want to retain his services. They may get rid of Sydor, Roberts, and even Malone. [it sounds very logic that Penguins need a good winger]

- GMs are meeting to analyze two new rule proposals: fight instigator and a rule that forces a face-off in the penalized team zone [I like this one]. The rule may be tested in AHL first.

Any comment ?

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-03-2008 at 08:41 AM.
zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
JdM and news in the same sentence

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
- Sundin may want to play for a Canadian team, because he has a lot of Canadian funds. According to the newspaper, if he plays in US, those funds will become taxable, and the rate may be as high as 50%. It doesn't mention the kind of funds.
When money gets priorities over your own interests

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 08:33 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Some news from JdM:
- Signing A.Kost is Gainey top priority

- Sundin and his agent seem to ask for $7M/year
- Jagr is actually in Mexico, waiting for an offer from NYR, but it may not come
- Hossa wants to stay in Pittsburgh. As opposed to rumors, Pitts also want to retain his services. They may get rid of Sydor, Roberts, and even Malone. [it sounds very logic that Penguins need a good winger]

- GMs are meeting to analyze two new rule proposals: fight instigator and a rule that forces a face-off in the penalized team zone [I like this one]. The rule may be tested in AHL first.

Any comment ?
Sundin at his age and at 7 million is too much, only if we move some salary and bash away but it would fall under the Koivu/Kovalev budgeted money.

Jagr will probably elsewhere next season because of money already tied up with Gomez, Drury and now looking at Avery and others the Rags don't have the funds.

Hossa can sign in Pittsburgh, but if they are going to sink all there money into Crosby, Hossa, Fleury, Malkin and Staal...I don't care how good they are because you still have to get some help on that D and you need grunt and depth players like Roberts and Malone's. The only reason they don't sign Malone is because he will be offered 4 million per elsewhere and Pittsburgh can't afford him. Roberts is getting too old and Sydor has been a bit player all season. Those are however 3 roster spots you have to fill...so who fills them? You can't expect 3 players from the farm to step in and be those guys.

In my opinion if Pittsburgh signs Hossa they will lose one of Malkin or Staal in a RFA offer or have to trade because of money restrictions. Look at Tampa Bay, they are the model of you can't sink all your money on a couple of ponies....one or two key element players making high money with a good mix of middle players and grunt players is the way to go. Pittsburgh maybe setting themselves up for falure.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Uwey

I thnik alot will hinge on whether Gainey can swing a face to face sit down meeting with Sundin. If so, Bob might just be able to sell on the possiblities of a) staying to play in a hockey mad Canadian city, b) the fact that he will not have to carry the entire team &/or city on his back, c) the admiration he & his coaching staff have for Mats, d) Kirk Muller, a one time teammate, could also be used for wooing & e) the possiblity of competing for the SC next summer, during the Habs 100 anni.

It will depend on Gainey's sales pitch as much as Sundin's desire.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 08:50 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
I thnik alot will hinge on whether Gainey can swing a face to face sit down meeting with Sundin. If so, Bob might just be able to sell on the possiblities of a) staying to play in a hockey mad Canadian city, b) the fact that he will not have to carry the entire team &/or city on his back, c) the admiration he & his coaching staff have for Mats, d) Kirk Muller, a one time teammate, could also be used for wooing & e) the possiblity of competing for the SC next summer, during the Habs 100 anni.

It will depend on Gainey's sales pitch as much as Sundin's desire.
I am not sure he would make that much of a difference, especially when the money he will want is taken into consideration.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

What will we do with Plekanec or Koivu if we sign Sundin? Put Pleks on the third line?

Old
06-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Sundin at his age and at 7 million is too much, only if we move some salary and bash away but it would fall under the Koivu/Kovalev budgeted money.

the reason it wouldn't be too much is because Sunding might only play one year. One year till Kovalev and Koivu become UFA. SO at the end of Sundin's One year contract we still have money for both our captain and assistant. I would be in favour of using our Money to do good this summer. Out bid the other interested parties if he decides not to sign with the Leafs. We make money, we can spend up to the cap.

just my two cents.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_Rafter View Post
What will we do with Plekanec or Koivu if we sign Sundin? Put Pleks on the third line?
does it matter... roll three lines.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 08:56 AM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
does it matter... roll three lines.

in order for Pleks to be effective he cant be palying 3rd line minutes.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 08:58 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_Rafter View Post
There's enough good wingers to go around, and if they were to take five minutes out of Lappy's icetime to give it to Sundin, well, that's two birds with one stone, isn't it?

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:01 AM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Quote:
the reason it wouldn't be too much is because Sunding might only play one year. One year till Kovalev and Koivu become UFA. SO at the end of Sundin's One year contract we still have money for both our captain and assistant. I would be in favour of using our Money to do good this summer. Out bid the other interested parties if he decides not to sign with the Leafs. We make money, we can spend up to the cap.

just my two cents.

Sundin is rumored to be looking for a 2 year deal worth between 14-16 million.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by x eric x View Post
When you roll three lines, the guy on the third line doesn't get 3rd line minutes. All three guys get ~18 minutes a night, then the 4th line gets like 6.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
I'd give him 15 million over two years in an instant. Don't need to think hard about that at all.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:08 AM
MathMan

Quote:
He's worth it. 78 points in 74 games to go with a +17 rating, all on a lousy team. Lousy enough that he'd draw the toughest minutes at even-strength, yet it was still good enough to score 48 points at even strength.

He's still a great player. And you have to wonder what he might be able to accomplish on a team with better wingers and more than one genuine scoring line.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:09 AM
SerialSeb

Quote:

just my two cents.
It's "Captain and Alternate captain"

SerialSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:10 AM
anarmandaleb

I remember reading that there were three teams interested in Sundin.
Who were the two besides Montreal?

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:11 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
I remember reading that there were three teams interested in Sundin.
Who were the two besides Montreal?
Detroit for sure and I would guess Ottawa.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Roulin

IMO, 7 mil is very reasonable for Sundin, especially on a short contract. If he's the Habs' only multi-million dollar acquisition, they'll be fine cap-wise.

As for playing time, I wouldn't worry about that either. Koivu and Plek would get softer minutes, which would be great for their ES production. Someone would move to the wing on the PP. If you want an example of this arrangement working out, look at the Penguins (Crosby, Malkin & Staal).

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:13 AM
SerialSeb

I would Love Sundin but I am more interested in which players are going to be let go or traded to make room for that top center and top winger and top D we are suppose to sign this summer.

The team is well built only for the regular season. If the post season was called the same way they would be fine. I think we need a guy like Jeff Carter or similar.

SerialSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Pascal

Whoever said 7M is too much for Sundin... come on, the guy is a monster and is dying to finally win some games. Kind of like Kevin Garnett in the NBA.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Who cares??

Can you imagine a Akost-Sundin-Kovalev line??..
Are you seriously worrying about what minutes Plek would get?..

We will never win the Cup if Koivu and Plekanec are our two top centers anyway.

Sundin is the biggest UFA this summer, he was able to net 78Pts on a crappy team. He's still in great shape, no doubt about it. 7M for a year or two is more than a bargain.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
If you want an example of this arrangement working out, look at the Penguins (Crosby, Malkin & Staal).
Fair enough, count me in the Sundin bandwagon!

Old
06-03-2008, 09:29 AM
RC51

YES YES, I would take Sundin for 1 year at 7mil, because it's for 1 year. The Habs need a top center long term but not much is available in the UFA pool for next year but in 2 years? many more.
Sundin for a year is perfect.
Wait it gets better, even with the 7mil cap hit the Habs still have money and room to add a top six winger to replace Ryder. Maybe not Hossa but still somebody good.

Andre-Pleks-Kovy
Latendress Sundin UFA ( Rolston)
Higgins Koivu Sergi
Begin Chipper Lapierre
Grabo,Kostop

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:34 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
it wasn't that long ago when many on here thought he would be our third line center .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
YES YES, I would take Sundin for 1 year at 7mil, because it's for 1 year. The Habs need a top center long term but not much is available in the UFA pool for next year but in 2 years? many more.
Sundin for a year is perfect.
Wait it gets better, even with the 7mil cap hit the Habs still have money and room to add a top six winger to replace Ryder. Maybe not Hossa but still somebody good.

Andre-Pleks-Kovy
Latendress Sundin UFA ( Rolston)
Higgins Koivu Sergi
Begin Chipper Lapierre
Grabo,Kostop
lol...ok now you're just teasing us.

But I agree, Sundin for 1 yr at 7mil, easy decision. YES