HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Everything "Mats Sundin" Thread

Old
05-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
I totally agree! a 5th center is definitely what we need right now.
Yeah, let's get Briere along with Sundin too.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueMahone View Post
What you show looks pretty good. Just saying that after reading some posts in this thread, the anti-age thing get a bit weary.
I'm not anti-age, but I am anti-going over the salary cap by $5-10 million

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 09:54 PM
blandBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I'm not anti-age, but I am anti-going over the salary cap by $5-10 million
I agree, which is why I said it won't happen (I may even have said it twice). Mainly, my point was that Sundin's talent is not the obstacle, his price is. And I had to put in my two cents about all this 'signing someone old' hysteria, everything in perspective. At the very end of all this rambling, would I ever love to have Sundin skating around in Rangers blue in place of Jagr. Shure would!

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 09:54 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Mats wants to play in New York

Quote:
Exploring the market as an unrestricted free agent and entertaining a predicted flurry of offers, likely to include Montreal, Detroit and the New York Rangers, teams some consider to have a slight edge.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2392...=secStory_main

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
make it a week so struds can help backman move back to sweden so we dont have to see him again either
Backman is already signed for next season.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 11:01 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

If we can pull what Colorado did with Selanne and Kariya in 2004 and get Sundin and Jagr, enabling the team to be able to sign a defenseman in the process, this team could be a legitimate cup threat next year.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sundin mentioned in a interview that it was 50/50 that he was gooing to retire. That he would have to talk to Toronto, or maybe check if there were some other offers...

I've also heard Sundin talk about something Salming had told him. Börje had told him that if it was one thing he regreted in his career it was that he didn't retire as a lifelong TML.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
If we can pull what Colorado did with Selanne and Kariya in 2004 and get Sundin and Jagr, enabling the team to be able to sign a defenseman in the process, this team could be a legitimate cup threat next year.
Why would the either player take less money to come to play in New York?

Now if it's Sundin or Jagr or Sundin because Jagr didn't resign then we are talking about something totally diffrent but Sundin and Jagr and step back on defense...i'm not sure that is going to work...i'm not sure why the rangers would even consider that...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 06:47 PM
blandBob

If he wasn't a centreman, I would really be wanting this to happen. I wish he was a winger, because in my view he is one of the most complete power forwards around. And I really don't get this thing about age that some people keep bringing up. Fair enough if you question the fact he plays centre which does not fit with our immediate needs, or how much he will cost, but why talk about age when the guy is so obviously not over the hill. He hits, he scores, he checks, he likes winning.
Okay, he would have to be healthy too, but I 'heard' that's okay. Anyway, regardless of fit, he's the real thing as far as I am concerned.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post

didnt they miss the playoffs that year?

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:43 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
didnt they miss the playoffs that year?
No, they lost to San Jose in the 2nd round in 6 games.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Terrible idea.

No Sundin.

Not the type of player (or direction) I want to see this team going for.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Ace2008

In all honesty I did a depth chart on paper yesterday

1 w/ Sundin + JJ in it

1 w/ Sunding, JJ, and Blake Wheeler in it.

Both looked good, allowed room for a 5th scoring line to emerge while keeping Anisimov unsigned and letting his contract signing coincide w/ Cherepanov, and the Cap Ca$H was saved for the Blueline.

Prucha----Dubinsky-----Jagr (7.3 cap hit)
(Jagr continues to elevate Brandon's game, while prucha rebounds)

Sjostrom-Sundin---Dawes(7.9 cap hit base)
(2 big guys create space for league's next breakout winger)

Drury----Gomez/Malhotra--G.Moore(8.8 w/o Gomez/ 15 w/)
Give CBJ Gomez for either 2 2ndrounders+Malhotra or for the 6th)

Korpkikoski--Betts--Callahan-(2 mill cap hit)
(speed+utility+Faceoff ability all in 1)

Byers-----Hollwegg---Orr(tough guys) 1.6 cap hit

If the Gomez salary dump doesn't happen then NYR can pursue either Pitkanen or Redden(neither is a true #1 but both are pricey @ approx $5 mill+)

I love Gomez but his faceoffs arent' that much better than Malhotra's and the trio of Betts, Dubinsky, +Drury is enough to win the majority of Faceoff's you would still need. The difference is puckrushing ability+ the addt'l 50 assists that Scott can bring.
In terms of leadership and ability both Dubinksy + Drury have what it takes. Also Anisimov looks promising as a scoring line center.
in the short term I'm pretty sure that Sundin would take a base salary of say 6 mill+ heavy bonuses for 1 yr..(he can still go to tor after helping out the NYr for 1yr.
on the blueline---Toughness_+Durability are the Keys---

Staal---Roz(if Roz wants more than 3.8 for his disappearing act forget it and do a sign+trade him for picks)

Mara(for less$ say.2.2 mill)-Redden*5.5*/Foote/Smith (@4.5m x 1yr)

Tyutin--Sauer/Potter/Baranka or a discounted M.commodore @ 2.5$m

7th Dman---Strudwick As Usual_+ whoever doesn't make the cut
The depth is there for the Future( even if Bobby Sanguinetti makes the club his lean physique will probably lead to early inj which hits many young players before they properly fill out and learn how to avoid contact injuries.

As for Girardi( I like him w/ tyutin but more size/Strength is needed to pair up w/ Fedor and his Offensive game is completely underappreciated. This guy was originally expected to be the next S.Zubov in terms of skill. While Mark Messier was playing Tyutin scored his 1st NHL goal and it looked like he could easily develop into that but the Renney Focus on total team defense should allow for at least 1 Blueliner to play the Swedish Torpedo style of attack starting next season. Focus on puckmoving Defenders that can skate _+ hit 1 timers w/ accuracy not necessarily into the net but on net.) Girardi should be traded @ the draft along w/ Hollwegg to either move up in the draft or acquire a missing part( could be anybody from a Jbo type of player to a Jokinen type of player, to a Suter/Weber type of player.)

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 01:00 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
it seems like 2 years of success had made Sather forget how they made it to this point originally. we r still rebuilding. if JJ, Shanny, and Straka all leave then maybe i would consider Sundin but thats a big maybe

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

you cant trade Gomez without getting a big time salary back. Personally, id rather try to move Drury for Gaborik.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
you cant trade Gomez without getting a big time salary back. Personally, id rather try to move Drury for Gaborik.
Doesn't Drury have a NTC?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 01:07 PM
94now

No. He is way too ugly.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 01:25 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Sundin?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 03:21 PM
RangerBlueJay*

Sundin? GTFO!

RangerBlueJay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Doesn't Drury have a NTC?
They both have NTC's, but i think Drury has a NMC as well.

Old
06-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
They both have NTC's, but i think Drury has a NMC as well.
Gomez's NTC is very limited

http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm

Quote:
Scott Gomez, NYR - NTC [limited; at the end of the each season Gomez gives the Rangers a list of 3 teams he will not accept a trade to]

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Gomez's NTC is very limited

http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm
gotcha, of course thats assuming that site is correct.

Old
06-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Fataldogg

I'd hate to see Sundin retire. He still has several years of quality hockey left in him. I've always liked the guy. Think he is a great player, consistent to score 70 - 80pts each season and will go down as one of the best European players to play the game. I've never understood the criticism the Toronto fans have given him but than again I'm not a huge Leaf fan either so I don't know everything going on. I'd love to see him play else where but not here.

I'd like to see Jagr stay but if that doesn't happen I suppose it wouldn't hurt to sign Sundin and move Drury to a wing position. BUT, I'd honestly like to sign a younger star player to the team in a long term deal if that was the case. Wish that guy good luck though no matter where he ends up.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Ace2008

Quote:
the blue jackets are looking to add a top line Center

and the name that is being bandied about is 6.3 million $ Marleau

hardly a top liner from last years perspective...but he's big and fast w/ a solid wrist shot

and I doubt the Sharks would be willing to let him go for anything less than a monster package that would include the highest pick they can get. The difference between the 6th pick and the later picks in the top 20 should be clear for H

Fboard members

but the CBJ have had numerous top 5 or top 10 picks before and have yet to make the playoffs in 8 years. they know that this is the year...but there are no #1 UFA Centers this summer and with the recent retirement of Kapanen , Flyers will probably have enough cap space to reup J.Carter so there will probably be no improvement for the CBJ unless they get a monster season from teenagers like Brassard(unlikely) or Brule*possible* but also unlikely.

The experience factor is what is necessary.

As for the Blueshirts...W/ a faceoff winner like Malhotra, a pair of spares like G.Moore+Hollwegg, a young up and coming Power Center hopeful like Anisimov+ a good chance of stealing a quality euro forward this summer in the later rounds of the draft thanks to the lack of a Xfer agreement for Czech+Russian players...

the future is fairly bright for NYR...as for this season they'll have
NTC Drury....Dubinsky(who really should stay w/ Prucha+JJ) and the constantly underrated Betts who was the 2007 4th line C of the Eastern Conference Monster.

I think the quality is there to make it work and CBJ is really desperate to make the playoffs...if missing 1 pick(they still have a 1st rounder) and passing a soon to be UFA waiver wire pick up in Malhotra**(he's really improved his game in Dallas/CBJ) would bring them an experienced top line Pivot(#10 in Faceoffs for Gomez--yes they CBJ will eat the salary hit of 6.1 mill cap differential.

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 11:33 AM
NYR Viper

no way gomez is traded for a pick and a 3rd liner......that would be one of the dumbest moves ever made......gomez is a very very good player....and if you think that package makes the rangers better, you are crazy

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote