Some news from JdM:
- Signing A.Kost is Gainey top priority
- Sundin may want to play for a Canadian team, because he has a lot of Canadian funds. According to the newspaper, if he plays in US, those funds will become taxable, and the rate may be as high as 50%. It doesn't mention the kind of funds.
- Sundin and his agent seem to ask for $7M/year - Jagr is actually in Mexico, waiting for an offer from NYR, but it may not come
- Hossa wants to stay in Pittsburgh. As opposed to rumors, Pitts also want to retain his services. They may get rid of Sydor, Roberts, and even Malone. [it sounds very logic that Penguins need a good winger]
- GMs are meeting to analyze two new rule proposals: fight instigator and a rule that forces a face-off in the penalized team zone [I like this one]. The rule may be tested in AHL first.
Any comment ?
the Rangers organization said after they were out of the playoffs that they want Jagr back for sure and will do almost anything to resign him so dont know if things changed or not.
and if pens sing Hossa they will be in the same position tampa was with in few years i guess.
Originally Posted by Seb_Rafter
What will we do with Plekanec or Koivu if we sign Sundin? Put Pleks on the third line?
in order for both player to have a good year, one of them has to play on RW or LW. rather have plek in center i guess because he is faster now, so that helps offense / defence i guess.
I really can't see Toronto not signing Sundin. If Toronto does not and Montreal can sign him for 6.7-7.2mill a season, then I'm all for it.
Since he's a UFA, the question becomes, does he want to stay there for his final years in what I assume is a rebuilding mode or does he want a chance to win and does he think he'll get that chance with us?
Sundin's fully worth 8 mil x 2 years if he'd sign here. To get an impact player like him without giving anything up bot money would be a dream come true for Gainey. In two years it'll be time to lock up Price, SKost and others so the money will come free at a very good time for the franchise.
The fact he only wants a short contract is one of the things that makes Mats a dream signing right now. Too bad it's not likely to happen.
I don't think icetime is a big problem. You roll 3 lines, you give them a little bit of PK time, like Kovy-Plek last year and put Sundin LW on PP. With Sundin, we can play Kovy on blue line for 2 minutes, Koivu centering. Plekanec take 2nd unit with both Kostitsyn. Latendresse and Higgins can play on first unit, in front of the net.
It would be huge indeed to get Sundin at 7 mil, even 8mil. 2 years if he wants it, no problem. C'mon, this team would have 3 captains and 3 frickin' dangerous lines, that's a trip to the finals for sure. Not to mention terrific insurance in case of any key injury (though the regime seems to have found a good way to keep the team healthy).
No way Sundin will play only 18 minutes a games. If he ever come, what I doubt, he will play 22 minutes a games for sure.
For sure? On an awful Laffs club this year he only averaged 20:04 minutes a night. The year before was 20:27. The year before that 19:58. Heck, only 8 forwards in the entire league averaged 22 minutes or more a night last season. Why would a 38-year old Sundin want to see that kind of ice? He'd be much more effective in the 18-20 minutes range, imo.