HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JdM news: AKost, Sundin, Hossa, Jagr, new Rules....

Old
06-03-2008, 01:43 PM
24Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Since he's a UFA, the question becomes, does he want to stay there for his final years in what I assume is a rebuilding mode or does he want a chance to win and does he think he'll get that chance with us?
I think the Leafs are locked into a rebuilding mode. Sundin is a proud player and yes I'm sure he wants to win but more so, wants to know he's making a contribution. He stood on principle not waiving his no trade clause to be a rental, a telling sign that contribution is a big factor in his decision making. Gainey needs to sell Sundin on the fact that he can contribute to the Habs by being a pivotal top-line player and possibly the last piece in a Stanley Cup puzzle for the most storied NHL franchise of all time.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

There is no way that Sundin goes to Montreal. It would ahve been like Ryan Smyth going to Calgary.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 02:12 PM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
There is no way that Sundin goes to Montreal. It would ahve been like Ryan Smyth going to Calgary.
Except that Smythe was an Oiler fan through and through growing up, while Sundin was a Habs fan growing up (Mats Naslund is his hero).

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Yeah and I'm sure Smyth will always be loyal to Edmonton

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 02:20 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
While I do agree, I just don't see Sundin going to the Habs, only Sundin and his agent know where he's willing or not willing to go.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 02:51 PM
DrMailloux

I don't think we have much chance with hossa if he decide to go for the $$$, if he wants a winning team he'll prolly tay with the pens. I believe we have more chance with Sundin who would be a very good addition to the team and we could sign him on a short term and we already know he's reliable.

He's big, he can score and he's experienced, you can't ask for more...

DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 03:29 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Hmm, I'll give you 15 posts and 5 missed nets completely. But that's as high as I'll go.
fair enough. With at least one shot in the safety net over the glass.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
the reason it wouldn't be too much is because Sunding might only play one year. One year till Kovalev and Koivu become UFA. SO at the end of Sundin's One year contract we still have money for both our captain and assistant. I would be in favour of using our Money to do good this summer. Out bid the other interested parties if he decides not to sign with the Leafs. We make money, we can spend up to the cap.

just my two cents.
Your two cents seem like a good investment. I agree with your thoughts about Sundin.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by x eric x View Post
in order for Pleks to be effective he cant be palying 3rd line minutes.
But Koivu could, and it would give Carbonneau a lot of options in forming new lines.

Old
06-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialSeb View Post
I would Love Sundin but I am more interested in which players are going to be let go or traded to make room for that top center and top winger and top D we are suppose to sign this summer.

The team is well built only for the regular season. If the post season was called the same way they would be fine. I think we need a guy like Jeff Carter or similar.
Sundin might be the only option. I don't see any Jeff Carters on the market.

Old
06-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari1160 View Post
the Rangers organization said after they were out of the playoffs that they want Jagr back for sure and will do almost anything to resign him so dont know if things changed or not.
and if pens sing Hossa they will be in the same position tampa was with in few years i guess.

in order for both player to have a good year, one of them has to play on RW or LW. rather have plek in center i guess because he is faster now, so that helps offense / defence i guess.

In a few years, yes. But for the time being they can afford Crosby, Malkin, and Hossa.

Old
06-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
No way Sundin will play only 18 minutes a games. If he ever come, what I doubt, he will play 22 minutes a games for sure.
He would certainly get a lot of PP time.

Old
06-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Dude. Not cool. It's Sundin. 25 posts.
That's still 25 times a game Higgins beats the goaltender.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 04:10 PM
The Big Swede

Sundin at 7 million is still a good deal

For a guy his age,hes still one of the best

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

I like the rules they are discussing, I hope they both pass (assuming the instigator discussion is about removing the rule)

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 05:13 PM
HabsoluteFate

Just one question....who the hell is jdm?

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate View Post
JMMR's cousin i think

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 05:16 PM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRo.O View Post
I like the rules they are discussing, I hope they both pass (assuming the instigator discussion is about removing the rule)
I like the rule that the team that is on Power Play will always have the face-off in the offensive zone (opponent zone), regardless where the penalized team touches the puck the last time.

I wish they discuss other issues as well, like the goalie equipment, the blue line width, but it seems they don't.

Quote:
JdM = Journal de Montréal

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_Rafter View Post
What will we do with Plekanec or Koivu if we sign Sundin? Put Pleks on the third line?
Put Sundin on the wing. Didn't he start off there. At 37-38 years of age, it may be beneficial to him to patrol Koivu's wing and still take some faceoffs when you need a right handed faceoff man.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Lone Rogue

For those wondering about the cost, with losing Ryder, Smolinski, Streit, Brisebois and Huet, we freed up $12M.

We pretty much replace Ryder with Sergei, Smokes with Chipchura, Streit with Sundin, Brisebois with any one of many Bulldog D-men and Huet with Halak. Even adding Sundin, we still got a few mil open with the cap going up this year.

Yeah, we can afford him. And if you're worried about next year, that opens up losing Bouillon, Dandenault and deciding if we wish to keep Begin and Kostopolous. If we lose Dandouillon, thats $3.6M free to afford a Komisarek boost.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 06:01 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
r from NYR, but it may not come
- Hossa wants to stay in Pittsburgh. As opposed to rumors, Pitts also want to retain his services. They may get rid of Sydor, Roberts, and even Malone. [it sounds very logic that Penguins need a good winger]

- GMs are meeting to analyze two new rule proposals: fight instigator and a rule that forces a face-off in the penalized team zone [I like this one]. The rule may be tested in AHL first.

Any comment ?
Here's a comment, these last two are total nonsense.

Getting ride of Malone, Sydor and Roberts would be irrelevant. If they signed Hossa, they'd leave themselves wide open for offer sheets to scoop up Malkin and Staal. Shero is not stupid. I'd be very surprised if Pittsburgh made an offer of any kind to Hossa. It's way too dangerous.

The GMs actually met to discuss five different rule changes. However, you are not citing them. What they discussed regarding penalties was one minute penalties in overtime, which might pop up in the AHL this year. The intsigator rule will not change.

Last edited by FerrisRox: 06-03-2008 at 06:10 PM.
FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 06:04 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
In my opinion if Pittsburgh signs Hossa they will lose one of Malkin or Staal in a RFA offer or have to trade because of money restrictions. Look at Tampa Bay, they are the model of you can't sink all your money on a couple of ponies....one or two key element players making high money with a good mix of middle players and grunt players is the way to go. Pittsburgh maybe setting themselves up for falure.
Exactly. It makes no sense.

They price tag for acquiring Hossa will become Malkin, Armstrong, Christensen, Espositio and a first round draft pick.

I really doubt Ray Shero has totally lost his mind. This rumor is so far beyond stupid it's clearly not a rumor at all.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 07:12 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Exactly. It makes no sense.

They price tag for acquiring Hossa will become Malkin, Armstrong, Christensen, Espositio and a first round draft pick.

I really doubt Ray Shero has totally lost his mind. This rumor is so far beyond stupid it's clearly not a rumor at all.
It's a rumour all right, just not one with grounds. I think someone somewhere said, "hey, maybe Hossa would like to stay in Pittsburgh" or maybe Hossa himself said "I like it here. I'd stay if I got the chance" and all of a sudden it means they're making him an offer rightthissecond.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 07:29 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
JdM = Journal de Montréal

As Homer likes to say....DOH

Personally I think they should go back to a full 2 minutes of PP time like they used to have. If a team scores 2-3 goals in that 2 minute timespan let them. That might make a team a little more careful when dealing with good PPs.

I like the No touch icing rule

...as well another i've been trying to sell that I made up (although i'm sure others have "made it up" as well) would be to allow the ability for a team to dispute any call on the next stoppage of play. If disputing a call it gets video reviewed and they lose their time out. If they are correct in their dispute the play is overruled to whatever they discover. If they are wrong then they are slapped with a 2 minute minor for delay of game. It wouldnt distract much from current games and I think fans would be annoyed by the officiating a little less...if the team loses a game because of a "bad" call then at least fans can say the team is to blame for not disputting the call...

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 07:47 PM
David_99

Quote:
Personally I think they should go back to a full 2 minutes of PP time like they used to have. If a team scores 2-3 goals in that 2 minute timespan let them. That might make a team a little more careful when dealing with good PPs.
With today's Ref "quality", that could REALLY put the decision of a game on them. I think if anything they should try to lessen this with this 1 min penalty talk that Burke is proposing.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote