HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fishies dumped Satan, Fedotenko, Vasicek

Old
06-03-2008, 01:14 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

vCash: 500
Satan makes a lot of sense. We need a sniper...he can fill the void until Cherry is ready. He would play with Gomez.
Then all we need is a lw for jagr...
Prucha wont cut it for gomers sniper and neither will callahan...
So Ryder or Satan.
I'd take Satan...he'll be cheap and is more talented than Ryder. He also is 6'3.
So lets say he has 40 points next year...
lets check how many points our 2nd liners had this year.
I bet playing with Gomez he comes out with 60 minimum.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 01:25 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
Satan makes a lot of sense. We need a sniper...he can fill the void until Cherry is ready. He would play with Gomez.
Then all we need is a lw for jagr...
Prucha wont cut it for gomers sniper and neither will callahan...
So Ryder or Satan.
I'd take Satan...he'll be cheap and is more talented than Ryder. He also is 6'3.
So lets say he has 40 points next year...
lets check how many points our 2nd liners had this year.
I bet playing with Gomez he comes out with 60 minimum.
poti is also 6'3 and so is marcel hossa, its the size of the heart that matters not the size of the player. pass on satan

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 01:35 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
poti is also 6'3 and so is marcel hossa, its the size of the heart that matters not the size of the player. pass on satan
who is going to have a heart in long island playing with Yashin and last year no centre and under that baffoon Wang.
I will say it again again and again... and make a bold prediction...if we acquire Satan via free agency, he will have 60+ points playing with Gomer. We would want to sign him to a crazy lengthy offer..
2 years 5 million.
There's going to be no market for him. If he sucks send him down.
Cherry will be here soon...Satans a filler.
What other options are there for the second line?
Callahan? Hell no.
Ryder? Questioned heart as well but less talented
Hossa? We can't afford him and Jagr and if we get him say hello to cap trouble?
Rolston? 36...hell no
Prucha? In the words of south park Come...onnne..
Cherepanov? not this year
Bourret? Needs one hell of a training camp
Korpedo? Off one game, doubt he could crack the 2nd lier
Shanahan? After those play offs nah
Radim Vrbata? maybe...

Oh and players are allowed to have bad seasons...look at Selanne and how he bounced back...obviously Satan is no Selanne, but he isn't a Jason Dawe either.
There is no hurt in signing a proven 60 point scorer for 2.5 million a year.
There is hurt in tying up 18 million in Campbell and Hossa though.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 03:05 PM
eco's bones

As another who thought Satan was overrated as a Sabre. He's a streaky scorer. He's not a gritty player. When push really comes to shove he disappears. I would not like him at all.

Fedotenko is a good third line winger. He's not a big scorer. A concern might be how well rounded he is. I don't know if he pk's a lot. He doesn't mind hitting or getting hit and he has good size. The 07-08 Rangers were too small on the wing. They got away with it against the Devils in the playoffs because 1) the Devils depend on a lot of small forwards too and 2) the Devils were not very deep 1-6 on defense. The Penguin series was different. We were in all the games but they had the better of us along the walls and in the corners--often pinning us in our own end. We need more size on wing and Fedotenko would be a legit player to look at but again the 2.9 he made last year is too pricey.

Vasicek has made a career out of being a 3rd liner. He's had opportuinities to be a 2nd liner but he's not talented enough. He is a big player who likes to drive to the net--it doesn't seem to me he's always looking around for help when he does--but he is capable of 30-35. He has limitations but those are decent numbers for a 3rd line center. At 750K last year that's pretty good.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
His skating is impeccable. Stickhandling is not something you want from 3rd line wing, but he is streaky there. He hits well and offers good size. He is young and 3 million is what it cost to get a solid player. Are there better choices out there? Yes, may be.
I think Nolan gets rid of those who wont compliment his way of playing the game. It's OK. Unlike Nolan, Renney is comfortable with Euro players.
Nolan is not the GM and he does not choose which players to give contracts. But, when all is said and done, "Tank" is basically a Nolan-type of player. So, he wasn't let go because he couldn't play Nolan's style.

And, Nolan is quite comfortable with Euro players. The Isles don't have a lot of Euros on the roster, but Nolan has never been shy about using them.

The Isles let go "Tank" because they want to go in a different direction - giving the icetime to young players like Bergenheim. Tank is still a fine third line player, I just don't see him as being very talented (which is the only point in your posts I really wanted to dispute).

06-03-2008, 04:14 PM
The Thomas J.*

I'm not gonna lie, i'm mildly intrested in Satan. he would be motovaited & he would be a 2nd liner playing with Gomez @ center & maybe Drury or Dawes on the wing.
I could see no reason why Satan can't score 25 goals & 20 to 25 assists.
How much could he be? one or 2 years $4 to $5 mill overall?

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 04:21 PM
NYR Viper

unless any of these players are going to play with gomez, or jagr(which the answer is no) then there is no point in getting MORE depth...korpikoski should get a spot over all of those players as he is younger, more talented, and cheaper

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 05:18 PM
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
They don't have to. They've got talent. Fedotenko is going to be 29. He is SC champion, FYI.
Marty St. Louis and Vinny Lecavalier say hi!!!!! Seriously though, Matt Cullen is a Stanley Cup Champion, too. And Cullen > Fedotenko, and Cullen=crap. We have a plethora (Michael Kay's Word-A-Day calender) of 2-way players who are good, young players who have more talent and heart than Ruslan. We don't need to upgrade Dawes, Cally, Avery, and company: we need a scoring winger. Ruslan doesn't fit that bill, and therefore I'll have to pass.

pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 06:16 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Man, as a lyricist I really like the title of that article... very clever, well put together, I'd write forever and never think of something better...

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Jay88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
Vasicek = Grosek
No,you are WRONG! In my opinion atleast.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 06:22 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
sweet! 3 players we can cross of RCallahan (jorts) summer posts asking why we don't go after them! oh happy day!!!!
I actually look forward to his posts.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Before everyone dumps on Satan's heart and drive, the guy played 81 games with a torn ligament in one of his knees, which is why his stats were way down.

That said, it was his time to go. Good luck to him in the future.

And to keep this on topic, I don't think the Rangers have any use for any of those players.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 07:45 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
All garbage. pass.

Would be mildly interested in Dubielewicz if Vally walks for some odd reason.
Well said.

Dubie is the only player last year who wore an Islanders sweater that would be of any use to the Rangers (except maybe Okposo..but that's probably not happening ). And that would only be if we don't bring Valley back instead.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 08:18 PM
polako

I sincerely hope that people around here aren't serious about not even CONSIDERING these players because they were Islanders on a poor team last year. A good GM's job is to evaluate any and all possibilities, and I hope Sather does just that. (and +1 to the poster who used the Adam Hall/Pasc Dupuis example)

That said, I think that NYR has better internal candidates for the bottom two lines. I would love to see what the market for Satan is, though. Someone made a great point. Coming off one of his worst years and an injury, if he could be picked up on the cheap, he may be a cost-effective replacement for Shanny's spot.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 08:33 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Pass.

Pass.

Pass...

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 08:44 PM
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Dubie is the only player last year who wore an Islanders sweater that would be of any use to the Rangers (except maybe Okposo..but that's probably not happening ). And that would only be if we don't bring Valley back instead.
Don't forget Comrie and his significant other! We need something else to watch when our team is having a bad night.

That being said, Dubie is the poor man version of hockey's David Eckstein. Small yet not insignificant. Dubie doesn't have the playoff credentials that Eckstein has (2 world series wins, world series MVP) but has performed extremely well in the clutch during his career at DU, in the AHL, and in the NHL. In short, the guy comes up big. At the game when we clinched our playoff spot in the Mausoleum, my seat was right near where the Isles came on to the ice, and it seemed like Dubie is significantly smaller than the rest of the players. He's listed at 5'10, but looks closer to the 5'8 they list Dawes at. He played a terrific game considering the Islanders defense looked like the AHL players they are. On a solid team, he would be a terrific option to back up in net.

That being said, there are two main obstacles that have to be overcome for Dubie to become a Ranger. 1.) Vally has to walk away. Which is possible believe it or not. The guy is one of the better backups in the league, and he might demand more than 600k that we kinda expect him to take. He's probably worth more, too, but we can't be dumping valuable salary cap space on our backup. 2.) Dubie has to spurn CSKA Moscow, who apparently offered him 1.2 million to go to Russia. No way in hell we match that offer to a backup goalie at best. Dubie would turn down a lot of cash money to sign with us.

But for whatever reason, if we find ourselves searching for a backup during the offseason, I would like to see us make a pitch to Dubie.

Old
06-03-2008, 11:44 PM
The Thomas J.*

Last time we signed an Islander back up goalie we won a cup

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 12:44 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
r we stealing from division rivals now? last offseason was Gomez...this year Satan? no no no. The guy plays with no heart and is definitely past his time. let Satan go. if i had to choose one of the 3, Vasicek would be my choice cuz hes a good 3rd line center and he would allow Drury to move up to the 2nd line where he could have more offense. Plus, you can't have too many faceoff men on your team. the guy won 55.6% of his faceoffs this past year.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 02:56 PM
pmorris

Hey, Gomez is a solid pickup. Not really worth the 7+ million if he can't put the puck in the net, but was, IMHO, the best and most consistent player we had during the playoffs (with the exception of Game 4 against Pittsburgh, where JJ was better). What really won me over about Gomez was the diving play he made to save a breakaway by either Hossa or Malkin (I can't remember) w/ about 3 minutes left in regulation in Game 1 against Pitt. Had Straka not been called for the penalty, we might have had a series. We would have went to OT w/ them cause they wouldn't have had a PP to score on, and we could have had a chance at taking home ice advantage away from them.

Gomez is like Derek Jeter: both are overrated and overpaid for what they do in the regular season (Gomez can't score 20 goals and Jeter can't hit 20 homers), but come up clutch in the postseason. Now Jeter has the luxury of some unbiased officiating. Gomez, on the other hand, has to play against a team whose star player and captain is also the commish's daughter, but that's another story.

In all honesty, though, I can see Sidney Crosby being the spoiled girl in Willy Wonka who wanted her dad to buy her the geese that laid golden eggs when he was a little kid.

Old
06-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
If for some freak of nature reason the RAngers were to sign one of them hands down I would pick Fedetenko because of his size and strength. The Rangers sorely lack size up front outside of Jagr.

I actually would not mind a signing of fedetenko.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 03:15 PM
TheHotRock

Fedotenko would looks nice next to Jagr or Drury...i'd be interested in offering him a deal. definitely not more than 2.5mm per and definitely not a deal longer than 3 years.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote